Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FutureFriend posted:

yugioh's cool as gently caress, me and chorps have been watching the first series and its amazing. people getting murdered because they lose at a card game, who later on gets possessed by an angry egyptian teenager who is in turn possessed by his evil side. the first villain is a 50 year old glamrock-looking billionaire who loves his dead wife and cartoons. at one point, the main character's monsters get mad at him sacrificing them despite it being a main mechanic of the game.

and thats not even talking about season 0 which doesn't involve the card game but involves a number of games and over-the-top ironic punishments to people because they were kind of a dick

Kaiba is the best villain/rival in all of anime and I'll tell you why in one image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Kaiba is the best villain/rival in all of anime and I'll tell you why in one image

what this image doesnt show you is that he self destructed that island so no one could remember he got owned by yugi again. and five seconds afterwards he gets bored so he just yells for five minutes about creating a theme park called kaibaland. motherfucker makes howard hughes look like a chump.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Didn't he build the big room where people get trapped inside and have Tetris blocks fall on them and crush them years before I Want To Be The Guy did it?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Nidoking posted:

Didn't he build the big room where people get trapped inside and have Tetris blocks fall on them and crush them years before I Want To Be The Guy did it?

thats season 0, which is non-canon because it has yugi and the dark magician make out for 20 minutes. there was a supreme court case about it and they declared the universe be rebooted.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

FutureFriend posted:

thats season 0, which is non-canon because it has yugi and the dark magician make out for 20 minutes. there was a supreme court case about it and they declared the universe be rebooted.

I don't care what anyone says, that trick with the lighter and the bottle of booze will always be the greatest thing in all of manga to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Technically both Season 0 and Duel Monsters are adaptions of the same manga (which is worth a read by itself actually. Fair warning though, it gets really dark at times) except that the former only covers about half the first part of it and the second is a extremely neutered version of the back half (even in the Japanese version) though it does start with a retconned version of Yugi and Kaiba's first duel.

Despite that, there are too many inconsistencies to actually consider the two seasons canon to each other aside from sharing the same backstory (for example, a minor character from the manga is given main character status in the first anime but doesn't exist in the second, Kaiba has green hair, Mokuba is a little poo poo almost on par with his brother rather than being a damsel in distress, the voice cast is almost entirely changed in the latter, etc.).

Also, Duel Monsters is actually featured in the original show several times in fact. It just wasn't the main focus until they made the real life card game based on the manga and it wound up completely taking over the franchise .

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 21, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That major character from season 0 barely existed in the first part of the manga. Miho was just a single arc extra that got promoted to main cast in the first anime because they wanted another girl.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

That major character from season 0 barely existed in the first part of the manga. Miho was just a single arc extra that got promoted to main cast in the first anime because they wanted another girl.

Fair point but the rest still stands. A pity because I actually thought the show was a lot more interesting before the card game took over the franchise (plus the fact that it seems weird that a show called King of Games would suddenly just focus on a single one).

But due to the fact that the anime and related manga are now basically a vessel for selling the card game we're probably not going to get a series like the original again any time soon.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Whenever anyone mentions Duel Masters, I always think "Isn't that the name of the game in Yugioh?" and have to remember that it's another, completely different giant multimedia project based around a children's card game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Whenever anyone mentions Duel Masters, I always think "Isn't that the name of the game in Yugioh?" and have to remember that it's another, completely different giant multimedia project based around a children's card game.

I've never actually payed much attention to Duel Masters, is it just a Yu-Gi-Oh ripoff or is there more to it than that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's not anything special in Japan, but the dub completely took the piss and it ruled.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not anything special in Japan, but the dub completely took the piss and it ruled.

Something something Dubs vs Subs something something Dubs can be good sometimes

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh wow you're not kidding. "Did someone think my name?"

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
All I know about Duel Masters is that the Magic team borrowed its idea of double-faced cards, and the Duel Masters team then had to one-up them by making triple-faced cards on top of that, so I feel like there's some intra-Hasbro rivalry going on there.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Not to continue this derail into LESSER card games but this Duel Masters card is extremely real and extremely good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nidoking posted:

I don't care what anyone says, that trick with the lighter and the bottle of booze will always be the greatest thing in all of manga to me.

that was in the first issue of shonen jump i read and i blame it for all my problems in life

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

Not to continue this derail into LESSER card games but this Duel Masters card is extremely real and extremely good.

rampotato

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chimera-gui posted:

[*]Yusei Go obviously belongs to Yusei.

I'll never get tired of the dumb puns they got out of Yusei's name. You Say Go here is great and it isn't the only You Say pun in 5D's.

Also the Wheel of Fortune is great because it's an incredibly stupid design yet it works perfectly and fits Jack very well.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As weird as the Duel Runners were/are as a concept, I do like them. The culture around Duel Monsters in the Yu-Gi-Oh universe was itself already an exaggeration of professional sports culture in the real world and racing is a professional sport.

The fact that some Duel Runners such as the Yusei Go, Phoenix Whirlwind, Bloody Kiss, Blackbird, and Sturm und Drang are "hybrid models" where the Duel Disk can attach to the Runner for Turbo Duels and detach from it for Ground Duels rather than being permanently integrated into it fascinates me as someone interested in theoretical and emerging technology.

Even better is that this hybrid model became the standard for Duel Disks from the Synchro Dimension in ARC-V where it was combined with the normal model from that series which is my personal favorite Duel Disk model to begin with.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 22, 2017

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

FutureFriend posted:

yugioh's cool as gently caress, me and chorps have been watching the first series and its amazing. people getting murdered because they lose at a card game, who later on gets possessed by an angry egyptian teenager who is in turn possessed by his evil side. the first villain is a 50 year old glamrock-looking billionaire who loves his dead wife and cartoons. at one point, the main character's monsters get mad at him sacrificing them despite it being a main mechanic of the game.

and thats not even talking about season 0 which doesn't involve the card game but involves a number of games and over-the-top ironic punishments to people because they were kind of a dick

drat...That does sound great.

Glad to see you're still around after Jordan stole your job.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Jordan and I ride solo as we enter the first race of the Wheelie Breakers Championship qualifiers! First up, we're going up against Leo, the spunky kid that, in a different series, might have been the protagonist. We talk a little about how his deck helped show the diversity of Duel Monsters in that era, we upstage Leo with his sister's deck, and we pop our first wheelie of the game!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I remember at least 1 time earlier on in the series where there was some actual legitimate deck strategy going on. In the Domino City arc when Yugi faces the weird bald piercing-heavy guy, and his deck is based around using some card combo to deal continuous damage through their interactions with one another.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Extremely disappointed that the appearance of Zigzix in this game doesn't have him constantly spinning in a circle.

The Morphtronic Monsters are also hilarious and I'd recommend looking them up to see how they manage to try and weaponize, like, a stapler.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shoeless posted:

I remember at least 1 time earlier on in the series where there was some actual legitimate deck strategy going on. In the Domino City arc when Yugi faces the weird bald piercing-heavy guy, and his deck is based around using some card combo to deal continuous damage through their interactions with one another.

You mean the mime. His strategy consisted of using Revival Jam, Jam Defender, Infinite Cards, Cards of Safe Return and Slifer the Executive Producer so the opponent would be forced to attack and destroy Jam, then he'd draw three cards with Safe Return and, thanks to that, Osiris' attack would go up by 3000, and his hand limit was infinite so he could keep powering up until he won or decked out.

The latter was what happened, thanks to Yugi taking control of Jam and Osiris' effect destroying it, causing it to revive and forcing Pantomimer to draw cards in an infinite loop that would be entirely impossible to do in reality.

About this game... Creebon? Seriously? Creebon? They hosed up a Kuriboh's name?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
There also tends to be a deck somewhere in each series which tries to run the opponent out of cards. I don't know about the first series, since I never saw all of it, but GX definitely has one of those at some point. I remember it belonging to a villainous accountant or something to that effect.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Everyone should watch Yugioh Vrains as well. The new anime this season is bonkers.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

You mean the mime. His strategy consisted of using Revival Jam, Jam Defender, Infinite Cards, Cards of Safe Return and Slifer the Executive Producer so the opponent would be forced to attack and destroy Jam, then he'd draw three cards with Safe Return and, thanks to that, Osiris' attack would go up by 3000, and his hand limit was infinite so he could keep powering up until he won or decked out.

The latter was what happened, thanks to Yugi taking control of Jam and Osiris' effect destroying it, causing it to revive and forcing Pantomimer to draw cards in an infinite loop that would be entirely impossible to do in reality.

That was it, yup! Would be neat to see a card game anime that actually did have a focus on actual deck strategy, with stuff like milling and combos and control and ramp (if applicable) etc instead of just beatdown. And to tie this back to the topic at hand, I guess said anime could involve motorcycles?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Shoeless posted:

That was it, yup! Would be neat to see a card game anime that actually did have a focus on actual deck strategy, with stuff like milling and combos and control and ramp (if applicable) etc instead of just beatdown. And to tie this back to the topic at hand, I guess said anime could involve motorcycles?

You see more decks like this later on in 5D's, like Worms (which are based around milling), Psychics (weak monsters with wild effects that cost Life Points), and Fortune Fairies (field and level manipulation for powerful effects), as a few examples. The way archetypes have developed in Yu-Gi-Oh! is really cool even if it sometimes causes a crushing imbalance in the meta.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

ChorpSaway posted:

You see more decks like this later on in 5D's, like Worms (which are based around milling), Psychics (weak monsters with wild effects that cost Life Points), and Fortune Fairies (field and level manipulation for powerful effects), as a few examples. The way archetypes have developed in Yu-Gi-Oh! is really cool even if it sometimes causes a crushing imbalance in the meta.

Yeah, and in the new season it's had: Effect Damage Beatdown, Graveyard Combo, Hand Destruction, and Flip Monsters.

... On cyber-surf boards, because they duel while surfing the web. Not joking.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

What's worst is that as far as I know, the name was translated correctly in the actual card game and anime dub:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 25, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chimera-gui posted:

What's worst is that as far as I know, the name was translated correctly in the actual card game and anime dub:

That looks like a bad photoshop. Like somone took a Kuriboh (with a tail) and pasted the first GIS result for "anime eyes" on it in MS Paint.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

I will not tolerate any Kuribon shaming.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Also to be fair, Kuriboh has a lot of relatives:

And that's not even talking about the relatives exclusive to the anime/manga:

Also obligatory image of the original:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 25, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'll shame Kuribon all I want because all the episodes where Luna duels are really bad. :colbert:

But yeah, Morphtronics' gimmick in the real card game doesn't have anything to do with losing, instead having different effects depending on whether they're in attack or defense position. Off the top of my head I can't think of a whole archetype like that, though there's a few individual cards, one in particular that works when your opponent controls more cards than you.

E: Well, kinda, the pro wrestler in VRAINS with his Gouki has a playstyle focused around letting your monsters get beaten and bringing them back all at once for a big push, but nothing about explicit disadvantage.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 25, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AlphaKretin posted:

I'll shame Kuribon all I want because all the episodes where Luna duels are really bad. :colbert:

But yeah, Morphtronics' gimmick in the real card game doesn't have anything to do with losing, instead having different effects depending on whether they're in attack or defense position. Off the top of my head I can't think of a whole archetype like that, though there's a few individual cards, one in particular that works when your opponent controls more cards than you.

E: Well, kinda, the pro wrestler in VRAINS with his Gouki has a playstyle focused around letting your monsters get beaten and bringing them back all at once for a big push, but nothing about explicit disadvantage.

Theres a lot of gimmick decks, but not many disadvantage-dependent archetypes (that is, sets of cards that share a name/theme, like morphtronics, Junk, Scrap, -tellarknight, infernoid, monarchs... the list goes on and on).

One such example of deliberate disadvantage creation is an 'exchange of the spirit' deck. EotS swaps both your and your opponents graveyard with your respective decks. So what you do is you mill your deck to 0 on the first turn, activate EotS and then watch your opponent lose when they have nothing to draw since all their deck just got dumped into the grave, either by forcing them to draw (in FTK style) or just waiting to their turn (for an OTK).

you are completely dickered if they manage to negate EotS or have graveyard triggered effects that let them rebound. And everyone has the latter these days.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what the gently caress even is this game :psyduck:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Motorcycles featuring card games.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

Also to be fair, Kuriboh has a lot of relatives:

And that's not even talking about the relatives exclusive to the anime/manga:

Also obligatory image of the original:

Wow there is enough here to name every one of littlekoriboh's alt youtube accounts back when he kept getting smacked by them :haw:

*checks youtube*

What the hell, he is still doing TAS :psyduck:

Speaking of animes where the dubs take the piss, I recommend the dub for Ghost Stories

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

That's not even all of them. He left out Wretched Ghost in the Attic and the Winged Kuriboh evolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I will never understand what possessed Konami's translators to rename Kuriball, a perfectly acceptable pun that doesn't gently caress up card text, into the much lamer Sphere Kuriboh.

• Locked thread