Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, I've always been interested in this game but never saw any videos of it, I'll gladly follow the LP. From one video alone it sure looks...original. And unwieldy. Good button use though.

Use the pink D-Wheel, you know you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FractalSandwich posted:

Is "equal to 1900 or more" one of those translation irregularities you talked about, or is that standard Yugioh phrasing?

The former. The same effect in the TCG is written as "Cannot be destroyed by battle with a monster that has 1900 or more ATK."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Leal posted:

Children's card games on motorcycles? How is that safe? Who even gave those kids licenses? Get off that motorbikes you crazy kids, you're not old enough to drive.

I'm pretty sure everyone who gets on a D-Wheel is actually old enough to drive. Yusei is 18 when the series begins (which is roughly right now in the game), with the other important characters that get to drive being clearly of the same age or older. The kids don't get Riding Duels, except for one occasion and it was rather different.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chimera-gui posted:

[*]Yusei Go obviously belongs to Yusei.

I'll never get tired of the dumb puns they got out of Yusei's name. You Say Go here is great and it isn't the only You Say pun in 5D's.

Also the Wheel of Fortune is great because it's an incredibly stupid design yet it works perfectly and fits Jack very well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shoeless posted:

I remember at least 1 time earlier on in the series where there was some actual legitimate deck strategy going on. In the Domino City arc when Yugi faces the weird bald piercing-heavy guy, and his deck is based around using some card combo to deal continuous damage through their interactions with one another.

You mean the mime. His strategy consisted of using Revival Jam, Jam Defender, Infinite Cards, Cards of Safe Return and Slifer the Executive Producer so the opponent would be forced to attack and destroy Jam, then he'd draw three cards with Safe Return and, thanks to that, Osiris' attack would go up by 3000, and his hand limit was infinite so he could keep powering up until he won or decked out.

The latter was what happened, thanks to Yugi taking control of Jam and Osiris' effect destroying it, causing it to revive and forcing Pantomimer to draw cards in an infinite loop that would be entirely impossible to do in reality.

About this game... Creebon? Seriously? Creebon? They hosed up a Kuriboh's name?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I will never understand what possessed Konami's translators to rename Kuriball, a perfectly acceptable pun that doesn't gently caress up card text, into the much lamer Sphere Kuriboh.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dexie posted:

Long story short, they had to keep 'Kuriboh' in it's name so that it would work with Kuribohrn.

The Japanese archetype name is 'クリボー / Kuribō', and Sphere Kuriboh's name is 'クリボール / Kuribōru'. If they had localized it as Kuriball (which was a fan translation anyway and not actually it's OCG name) then it wouldn't have worked with Kuribohrn and any other Kuriboh archetype support.

But you could also write it as Kuribohll and you keep the exact same pun, that logic doesn't work.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Glazius posted:

Yeah, everybody knows Friendship exists outside the card game so you can give people victory points to sweeten the pot on trades.

What even is cheating on card games on motorcycles? Pulling up next to somebody to look at their hand?

I'd say "ramming", but no, Yusei did that in the anime with no punishment at all. Violence is not illegal.

I don't think there's any actual cheating in these things though. Just look at later series where the protagonists can literally create whatever card they need and add them to their deck mid-match (Shining Draw and Storm Access are bullshit). Or hell, Yugi who could literally move any card in his deck at will thus manipulating his draws.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FutureFriend posted:

just to warn you guys, this is chorps HEADCANON trying to once again display it as REAL CANON. here's the truth of how 5ds became a cyberpunk nightmare of a city in 20 years:

half the town read jack atlas shrugged

Yeah. That half got to be rich and enjoy card games on motorcycles as the coolest hobby, even moreso with lots of hot-blooded shouting and entertainment.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, most of Yu-Gi-Oh's female cast got hosed over , some just more than others. Téa arguably got it worst since she was never allowed to be relevant in the first place. Hell, the fact that she wants to become a professional dancer is rarely brought up apart from like one filler episode and her duel against a penguin during a filler arc (yes, I'm being completely serious). Alexis and Mai had it pretty bad as well.

In fact the only girl to not seemingly get the shaft is Zuzu from Arc-V who had an active role the whole series.

If by whole series you mean the very beginning, sure. Afterwards Yuzu gets shafted badly and becomes a damsel in distress for the whole loving series. Serena gets treated better, but not by a lot.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is just not kind to women in general, but Aki's case stands out by being clearly unplanned, considering just how much breaks down the moment Crow enters the series. gently caress Crow forever.

Blackfeathers aren't even a fun archetype.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crow's power is taking over the series and getting far more spotlight than he ever deserved.

He even got to appear in Arc-V over better choices. So did Jack, of course, but there's no better choice than the King.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Leal posted:

I can't believe FutureFriend(s computer) is in the Shadow Realm.

This is a show for children.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TwoPair posted:

Kind of? Yu-gi-oh cards have two values, attack points and defense points. They can also switch "modes". For example, if Player A has a monster with 200 ATK points attack Player B's monster with 100 ATK points. A is successful, B's monster is destroyed, and the difference between their attack comes from B's life points. If B's monster is in defense mode though, when A's monster attacks, its attack power is measured against B's defense stat rather than attack. And even if it's destroyed, it doesn't subtract from B's life points, which is the main appeal of cards in defense mode.

tl;dr: Yes it will blow right up, but only if it's in defense mode

I'm pretty sure the question was about how 0 defense works in this game (where I can't even remotely begin to understand stats in the first place, to be honest. Attack vs LP is obvious, but how do monster battles work? What determines the lifebar? I don't get it at all), not in the card game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You seem to have a very weird idea about Jack's characterization. Jack is an ENTERTAINER and the coolest and was the King at one point. His crimes are mostly stealing a bike and a card (admittedly, a very big crime in YGO, but he was fully willing to give it back the moment Yusei came for said card) and pretending he wasn't poor as poo poo at one point.

Meanwhile, his good points include stopping, sealing and then taking the power of an evil demon for himself through sheer hot bloodedness, taking a whiny as poo poo protagonist and turning him into an acceptable protagonist (for a while...Arc-V is like that), getting the City to stop squabbling...okay, yes, most of this was done by an alternate universe version of Jack Atlas, but Jack is Jack.

Jack is the best, basically. He is the true King.

Also wow, that's a short game and an underwhelming ending. I expected at least some conflict but I guess the entire thing is just the first few eps of 5D's but with all the interesting parts stripped away.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The shockwave thing was 4Kids' censorship striking as per usual. In the original he very much threatened to kill himself if he didn't win that card game. It worked, thus proving that suicide threats fix everything.

Also you all seem to forget how Kaiba did a lot of really hosed up poo poo...or you don't know because it happened in the manga before it became about card games. Let's just say Kaiba doesn't exactly start as a friendly rival...or end, but that's because I don't think Kaiba even remotely knows what being friendly means.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ChorpSaway posted:

This is the thing that separates Kaiba and Jack for me, at least in terms of their early characterization. Kaiba is doing this crazy-rear end gamble that puts his own life on the line specifically in order to save his brother from being kidnapped by an eccentric businessman. Jack attempts to murder someone younger than him so that he can steal his best friend's motorcycle and cards because he thinks he deserves to be rich more than anyone else in the Satellite. Does he improve later? Sure. But that's a bad first impression.

Yeah, except the "early" in the original there happens after Kaiba:

1) stole Yugi's grandfather's card
2) beat said grandfather to the point of sending him to the hospital
3) broke said card, thus gaining nothing from this
4) had to get his brain shattered to be able to actually stop being an rear end in a top hat

And that's not even counting all the poo poo he did in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dragón Blanco de Ojos Azules.

Also, I really think that the chaos helped the game look a lot more fun, as did Survival. Turning this weird thing into YGO F-Zero seemed like the right way to go for a sequel, had it ever happened. Too bad the game doesn't really use its cool mechanics in the story mode, maybe it would've been popular enough to get a sequel.

Thanks for showing us this game, ChorpSaway. Now I know what it is: an interesting idea that was unimpressively used.

• Locked thread