Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The Hallmark channel LOVED this show when I was in high school. It was a dinner tradition for me to watch 2 hours of M*A*S*H over dinner. I loved the gimmick episodes, with my favorite being the one that took place in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I used to watch this show after school every day as a kid. It sticks with me because I remember it was the first show I watched where "antagonist" doesn't necessarily mean "villain". MASH did a lot to humanize even the people you usually rooted against.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
It's an absolutely timeless show. It's like the concept of the perfect movie, only it's a TV show.

Canemacar posted:

I used to watch this show after school every day as a kid. It sticks with me because I remember it was the first show I watched where "antagonist" doesn't necessarily mean "villain". MASH did a lot to humanize even the people you usually rooted against.

As a little kid I hated Burns, but even I could recognise him as more pathetic than evil. Even the North Koreans were humanised. Remember that episode where that wounded kid had that grenade in the OR? Dude was completely terrified. Or when Hawkeye had a mini-breakdown and crashed the peace talks?

Senerio posted:

The Hallmark channel LOVED this show when I was in high school. It was a dinner tradition for me to watch 2 hours of M*A*S*H over dinner. I loved the gimmick episodes, with my favorite being the one that took place in real time.

Wait, loving Hallmark played this show? Well there's an odd thing. I thought your Hallmark channel was all lovey-dovey with a far right religious edge to it. Then again that was a childish impression of mine too, as occasionally we'd get made-for-tv movies straight from that channel, including all the soppy and strangely creepy ads.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It killed me when I realized Winchester was the guy from that one TNG episode with the scientist who commits suicide.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

It killed me when I realized Winchester was the guy from that one TNG episode with the scientist who commits suicide.

He was also the crazy guy in the first season of Two Guys, A Girl & A Pizza Place, before they retooled the show by adding Nathan Fillion and downplaying the pizzaria.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I remember there being some Michael J Fox movie where he gets in trouble in a small town and they make him be a Doctor to pay off whatever, and Winchester plays the mayor or something. Nothing super crazy about it I guess, but it was a weird coincidence that I was going through MASH and happened to check out part of that movie on cable.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Luigi Thirty posted:

Want something just as crazy? The aide to General Kelly in the episode "Iron Guts Kelly" was the same actor who played John Allen Hill, an owner of Melville's for a season or two on Cheers. I didn't realize it until I looked up the guy's acting credits one time.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I freaked out seeing Andrew Dice Clay as a soldier in a later episode.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

A really young Lawrence Fishburne plays a wounded soldier in one of the later seasons too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cojawfee posted:

I remember there being some Michael J Fox movie where he gets in trouble in a small town and they make him be a Doctor to pay off whatever, and Winchester plays the mayor or something. Nothing super crazy about it I guess, but it was a weird coincidence that I was going through MASH and happened to check out part of that movie on cable.

Doc Hollywood.

David Ogden Stiers also played The Martian Manhunter in the aborted Justice League TV pilot.

And in one episode, a soldier was played Larry Hama, the man who would go on to create the personas for G.I. Joe

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 19, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Luigi Thirty posted:

A really young Lawrence Fishburne plays a wounded soldier in one of the later seasons too.

Also, Patrick Swayze and Ron Howard.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's probably worth noting in the OP that Gary Burghoff was the only actor from the movie to play his character in the series.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

And to think, that was after his service in Vietnam! :v:

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Mako was also in a few different episodes, playing different roles.

I never knew until recently that Gary Burgoff had a deformity on one of his hands that he managed to hide.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Madurai posted:

It's probably worth noting in the OP that Gary Burghoff was the only actor from the movie to play his character in the series.

The movie rightly was moved away from by the series. Spearchucker Jones (now there's a blatantly racist name, christ) was also in the movie and dropped from the show in the first season.

I think one of my more favorite gimmick episodes was 'Point of View' where it's all filmed from the viewpoint of a patient. poo poo like that was way ahead of its time.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Used to watch this every evening at 7:30 on one of the local broadcast channels.

Mr Miyagi (Pat Morita) showed up a couple of times as Colonel Sam Pak.

If you want a different thread title at some point might I suggest "M*A*S*H: IT WAS A BABY!"

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Rene Auberjonois (you know, Odo, from Deep Space 9, to keep going with the Star Trek) played the original movie's Father John Mulcahy (not Francis, as in the TV series.)

Also, are we not talking about Trapper John, M.D.? I myself don't have anything much to say about it, other than that for legal reasons it's officially a spinoff of the movie MASH, and not the show. Yup.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Mister Mind posted:

Also, are we not talking about Trapper John, M.D.? I myself don't have anything much to say about it, other than that for legal reasons it's officially a spinoff of the movie MASH, and not the show. Yup.

Huh. Well that explains Pernell Roberts' complete lack of resemblance to Wayne Rogers but believability as an aged Elliot Gould, which is to say it explains everything including why I could never get into it. If I had known, maybe it would have grooved with me. (Not that I didn't like the movie, but if you were expecting a spinoff of the show it really doesn't work. Well now I get it.)

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

After The War posted:

All the DVD releases feature an audio track without the laugh track, which is highly recommended.

:stare: Wait, really?! I'm going to have to get the DVDs now. I had no idea.

Edit: "Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice."

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 19, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Madurai posted:

I had something in there, then took it out. I'll probably put it back in as a parenthetical. Mostly, I wanted to talk about the movie in regards to its progression towards the series, but not as comparison between the two. Altman's film is ultimately a different beast and should be considered for it's own merits and flaws, particularly as an anti-Vietnam piece and major role in the New Hollywood movement - Easy Riders, Raging Bulls spends quite a bit of time on it.

Mister Mind posted:

Rene Auberjonois (you know, Odo, from Deep Space 9, to keep going with the Star Trek) played the original movie's Father John Mulcahy (not Francis, as in the TV series.)

I know, when William Christopher died, I was terrified for a while of the Henry Blake curse ("Movie Henry" Roger Bowen one day after "TV Henry" McLean Stevenson), but our Odo seems to have avoided it.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
when I was in high school between Hallmark channel and TVLand I must have watched 4 hours of MASH a day. I really liked the show but I only knew one other kid who talked about it.

I saw every episode multiple times over and over again and I loved the show. Now sometimes there are reruns on METV but I don't even like watching it. Not that I don't like the show anymore, I think I just got burned out after seeing it so many times. But it is annoying when Hawkeye became an SJW.

My favorite episode is the one with Captain Tuttle.

fun fact: the girl who plays the Korean girl Klinger stays in Korea to find was Keiko in Star Trek

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I watched the movie a long time ago and I didn't like it because it was so different from the TV show that I liked. I haven't read the book but I'd like to at some point just to see what it's like.

I like Winchester a lot he's a good character much more developed than Ferret Face. I like the one where people are making fun of a stuttering soldier and he gets upset because his sister stutters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It occurs to me I've never seen a single episode of AfterMASH and from what I understand it's best that way.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I watched the WALTER pilot about Radar where he becomes a cop. It didn't get picked up

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

precision posted:

It occurs to me I've never seen a single episode of AfterMASH and from what I understand it's best that way.

Stay pure.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I watched the WALTER pilot about Radar where he becomes a cop. It didn't get picked up

I actually watched the MASH finale when it originally aired (I'm 45 as of last month), but I never knew about this pilot until now (I knew about Trapper John MD and AfterMash). I thought Gary was sick of playing Radar. Also I just learned that Radar's final appearance was also Staff Sergeant Zale's final appearance.

I just read this about Burghoff on his Wiki

Don't believe everything you read, but this sounds right posted:

Covering the conclusion of M*A*S*H for TV Guide in 1983, Burt Prelutsky wrote, "Although nobody wanted to be quoted for the record, the feelings about Gary Burghoff's leaving were fairly unanimous: loved Radar, hated Burghoff. As summed up by one of the principals: 'Gary had personality problems. He always felt there was a conspiracy against him. He was rude to everyone, but if anyone ever said anything back to him, he'd throw a tantrum. He had frequent spats with his cast members, particularly with Alan Alda. Once Mike Farrell told him that his problem was that he could dish it out but he couldn't take it, and Gary said, "And I'm getting real sick and tired of dishing it out." The poor guy didn't even realize what he'd said.'"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Party Plane Jones posted:

The movie rightly was moved away from by the series. Spearchucker Jones (now there's a blatantly racist name, christ) was also in the movie and dropped from the show in the first season.

He supposedly got the nickname since he threw the javelin in college. He was removed since they said there no black surgeons in MASH units. However, it seems there was one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Huh. Well that explains Pernell Roberts' complete lack of resemblance to Wayne Rogers but believability as an aged Elliot Gould, which is to say it explains everything including why I could never get into it. If I had known, maybe it would have grooved with me. (Not that I didn't like the movie, but if you were expecting a spinoff of the show it really doesn't work. Well now I get it.)

That is pretty interesting, especially as Trapper is actually my favourite character in the MOVIE, but not the show. Wayne Rogers was just very bland and didn't have the screen presence of Alda, or even Farell, but Gould's deadpan delivery and twinkling eyes just make me smile every time I've watched it. (By contrast, I like the show's Hawkeye much more than Sutherland in the movie).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
A couple of Frank moments that stand out: one ep had Hawkeye torturing himself over a patient that kept getting worse after an intense surgery. When Margaret suggested that he may have missed something, he goes back in and did indeed find a piece of shrapnel. Frank sincerely commented that anyone could have missed it.

Another one was after Margaret got engaged and would not shut up about Donald. At the end, the officers were having coffee and Frank asked Hawkeye if he wanted to get a couple of nurses and go over to Rosie's. When Margaret suggested that Frank's choice might be a little too young, he said, "Oh, I don't know. I thought a little youth might be nice for a change."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Nothing will top Frank teaching the Korean workers to speak English.

“Do you have a fever?”
“I will get the doctor.”
“Get us out of the UN!”
“Better dead than red!”

”Frank Burns eats worms!”

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Mister Kingdom posted:

A couple of Frank moments that stand out: one ep had Hawkeye torturing himself over a patient that kept getting worse after an intense surgery. When Margaret suggested that he may have missed something, he goes back in and did indeed find a piece of shrapnel. Frank sincerely commented that anyone could have missed it.

Another one was after Margaret got engaged and would not shut up about Donald. At the end, the officers were having coffee and Frank asked Hawkeye if he wanted to get a couple of nurses and go over to Rosie's. When Margaret suggested that Frank's choice might be a little too young, he said, "Oh, I don't know. I thought a little youth might be nice for a change."

To add on to this: there's a throwaway moment between Hawkeye and Frank where Frank remarks something like "I've always been scared of the dark unless I have a nightlight, like my Pop-eye nightlight when I was young. But my father threw it away and made me sleep without it."

That scene is pure :( Frank is a jerk but he has little moments like that where you get a small view into what it was like to be him and he must have been miserable.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

HIJK posted:

To add on to this: there's a throwaway moment between Hawkeye and Frank where Frank remarks something like "I've always been scared of the dark unless I have a nightlight, like my Pop-eye nightlight when I was young. But my father threw it away and made me sleep without it."

That scene is pure :( Frank is a jerk but he has little moments like that where you get a small view into what it was like to be him and he must have been miserable.

The part that makes it work is where he cheerfully quotes his father: "It's dark for ten hours a day, and I'm not going to have a son who's a coward."

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

After The War posted:

The part that makes it work is where he cheerfully quotes his father: "It's dark for ten hours a day, and I'm not going to have a son who's a coward."

:( :( :( :( :(

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Is M*A*S*H available to watch anywhere online? I"ve seen a fair number of episodes, but I'd love to watch more.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
of the late season dramatic episodes I like the one where it's in real time 22 minute episode and they have to save this guy but they're waiting for the other guy to die so they can harvest his aorta

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ein cooler Typ posted:

of the late season dramatic episodes I like the one where it's in real time 22 minute episode and they have to save this guy but they're waiting for the other guy to die so they can harvest his aorta

"What took so long?"

"The guy it was attached to was still using it."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DorianGravy posted:

Is M*A*S*H available to watch anywhere online? I"ve seen a fair number of episodes, but I'd love to watch more.

Not right now.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
"But where I have a father, you have a dad."

If there ever was a line from a TV show that still hits me to this very day, it's this one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

DorianGravy posted:

I mentioned it before but HULU is getting it very soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope they have an audio channel with no laugh track.

• Locked thread