Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Bobby Heenan was literally the first person I ever saw and said "oh man, I want to do that when I grow up". From torturing Gorilla to trying to prove to Roddy Piper that Santa wasn't real to making GBS threads on Ultimate Warrior in and out of character, The Brain seemed like he had the greatest job in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Several years ago I got up to the in-person-audition to be on Jeopardy, and the whole thing was about a dozen potential contestants in a hotel conference room running through the motions of standing behind a table and selecting categories and buzzing in and doing the "getting to know you" bits with a clearly bored woman who was the Alex Trebek stand-in.

I had already forgotten what I put down on my form in terms or interests/fun facts/whatever but I had apparently mentioned wrestling, so one of the questions I got was "did you want to be a wrestler when you were a kid?" and I said I never wanted to wrestle but I did want to be a heel manager/commentator like Bobby Heenan.

The Trebek stand-in lit up and said that she'd worked with Bobby Heenan on Celebrity Family Feud, and that he was an absolute delight, that they'd kept in touch and how she'd had dinner with Heenan's daughter recently and just what a funny, friendly person he and his family were. This was pretty much the only time in the whole process where she seemed like she was doing anything besides a job she'd doubtlessly done a million times before. I don't think we got to any of the other questions, she just talked about the Brain and how he was maybe the best/funniest person they ever had on Celebrity Family Feud in her time on the show.

I didn't get selected to be on Jeopardy, but it was still a nice memory. I was reminded of this when Meltzer talked about how universally admired, even outside of wrestling, Bobby was.

• Locked thread