Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Problem description: The screen or backlight of my mid 2013 MacBook Air 13" only works intermittently. The screen died a week or so ago and now only works when I restart the computer, and even then only 1 out of 10 times. If I shine a light on the screen when the computer is on I can still see the computer & screen working only its very dark.

Attempted fixes: I've reset the PRAM, reset the SMC, and reformatted the drive & reinstalled OSX.

Recent changes: Nothing.

Operating system: Mac OS Sierra, 64bit.

System specs: It is exactly this basic model with 8gb of RAM. Serial number C02L953WF6T5.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Most people were posting about the same problem & resetting the PRAM but no one actually has any solutions. Maybe I'm not using the right terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Ok so I've figured out I can get around the issue if I try to to 1) wake it from sleep-mode when connected with a HDMI to a different screen and then 2) hard reboot using the power button. I've got no idea of why this works or for how long it will work :smithicide:

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib
Stupid question: have you tried the "increase screen brightness" key? Have you noticed that the lowest setting available with the brightness buttons is "backlight completely off"?

And then something to worry about: if it's not that, it very much sounds like the ribbon cable that goes across the laptop's hinge and provides power to the backlight might have been damaged. If so, the apparently-working HDMI trick might be just random chance.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

telcoM posted:

Stupid question: have you tried the "increase screen brightness" key? Have you noticed that the lowest setting available with the brightness buttons is "backlight completely off"?

And then something to worry about : if it's not that, it very much sounds like the ribbon cable that goes across the laptop's hinge and provides power to the backlight might have been damaged. If so, the apparently-working HDMI trick might be just random chance.

Well now it's fixed itself somehow? I can reliably start and use it with just one blackscreen in the last two weeks which I was able to resolve using PRAM + my HDMI trick. I'm working under the assumption that it is just a matter of time before it fails again though because this is ridiculous. I'll look into the ribbon cable when it does, cheers.

(And to answer your question: When it was broken the screen brightness-keys didn't do anything.)

• Locked thread