Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bernie _______
This poll is closed.
would've won! 87 34.52%
has won! 45 17.86%
will win! 56 22.22%
is winning! 64 25.40%
Total: 124 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol even liz warren is sucking up to bankers now
https://twitter.com/rtyson82/status/910031526238330880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

shrike82 posted:

Sad, but ultimately a reminder that people can't rely on messianic figures and need to self-organize.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

shrike82 posted:

She needs to answer for this. Immediately.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Anybody who thinks the Democrats aren't the Republicans of the 80's is lying to themselves or delusional. Once everybody accepts that fact, things are 100% less surprising.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
IIRC Liz Warren was a Republican up until 20 years ago when she realized she could make more money as a Dem

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Lol condiv is such a baby, I can't even imagine how sad your life must be if you remember who posts what here on more than a day to day basis. I've literally never seen an "op doesn't like these people" form with check boxes before hahaha

Please tell me my forums name isn't written in blood or poo poo on your living room wall

call to action fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 19, 2017

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Member of the Senate Banking Committee meets with bankers. Heads must roll.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol when the supposedly most anti-banker Dem is on the bankers' payroll, whatcha gonna do

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

shrike82 posted:

lol when the supposedly most anti-banker Dem is on the bankers' payroll, whatcha gonna do

Meeting with = payroll. It is known.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Junior G-man posted:

Member of the Senate Banking Committee meets with bankers. Heads must roll.

they don't have to meet privately. at all

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

call to action posted:

Lol condiv is such a baby, I can't even imagine how sad your life must be if you remember who posts what here on more than a day to day basis. I've literally never seen an "op doesn't like these people" form with check boxes before hahaha

Please tell me my forums name isn't written in blood or poo poo on your living room wall

Oh hey I didn't actually read the OP before this. Is JC actually banned or just "op banned"? OP rules aren't 'real'. unless rguy decides they are

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ah yes it's all about The Optics and not about how absolutely hosed it is that our leaders are beholden to capital, the same people who don't give a gently caress about your or me or if we have enough to live on, despite doing all the work for them while they real all the rewards

gently caress you

Lolwut?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nevvy Z posted:

Oh hey I didn't actually read the OP before this. Is JC actually banned or just "op banned"? OP rules aren't 'real'. unless rguy decides they are

Lolwut?

Actually banned, which you can find out by looking at his rap sheet, where a user's ban and probation history is stored.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

Lolwut?

the banned users are actually banned by r guyovich nevvy z. i confirmed with him that the ban from last thread carries over to this one too. so if JC posts in here he receives a week probie

if it were up to me cta would be banned from this thread for his fascist sympathies

Condiv fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 19, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nevvy Z posted:

Lolwut?

Rguy banned jc from posting in here

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Pretty illustrative how lopsided that giant new defense* increase is on both the breakdown by party and Big Names---what a disaster outright, while also serving as a catalyst for yet more to come.

It takes a special effort for the Dems to appear this foolhardy and having learned nothing since at least the Bush era.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

She needs to answer for this. Immediately.

The answer is simple, the Democrats are a waste.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

This is from a bit back, but I want to give it a somewhat in-depth response:

tentative8e8op posted:

In broad terms I would say positions of the Democratic party include: fighting for civil rights(minority, LGBT, disability and women's rights), universal healthcare, criminal justice reform, expanded social programs, protecting voting rights, higher minimum wages, higher taxes on the wealthy and closure of tax loopholes, stricter environmental regulations and renewable energy, industrial regulations, affordable housing, affordable secondary education, being pro-immigration, and pretty much anything you'd describe as having a working federal government at all.
Democrats are the kings of saying one thing and doing another. For every position you've listed there, you can find direct examples of Democrat actions that contradict that, with so many examples that it is clearly systemic.
1) Minority civil rights / criminal justice reform - Baltimore city council is literally all blue with democrats, New York is 48 out of 51. Both have made national headlines for police brutality, where articles have exposed systemic abuse by officers and patterns of constitutional violations against black people. You can also point the the Clinton administration for racist incarceration laws at the federal level.
2) LGBT rights - Prime examples are people like Obama and Clinton who were against LGBT rights like marriage, until popular opinion shifted and it became politically convenient. I've talked to LGBT activists in my state who fought for rights for years, running into Democratic opposition, until finally the issue was popular enough the Dems felt they could give them fundamental rights.
3) Universal Healthcare - California's a great example; under a GOP governor, the state legislature passed single payer over and over, then immediately stopped when a Democrat got into the governor's office. In June several Dems rallied to stop a bill. If the Dems are finally starting to flip on healthcare, it's due to popular pressure.
4) Expanded social programs - Obama attempted to gut Social Security in his "grand bargain." Bill Clinton is famous for "welfare reform" where he gutted welfare (disproportionately affecting poor black people).
5) Higher minimum wages - Seattle's first attempt to pass $15/hour minimum wage was obstructed by Democrats and Democrats only. They opposed it until it was clear how massively popular it was, then they watered it down as hard as they could. Again, there are a plethora of major cities with pure blue councils and mayors that have had the opportunity to pass minimum wage laws for years, if they'd wanted to.
6) Higher taxes on the rich / close loopholes - Again, plenty of blue cities and states where they could have done this for years. Obama is famous for not using his immense popularity and Dem supermajority to tax the rich, close loopholes, or penalize the CEOs and bankers who crashed the global economy in any way. Instead, it was handouts. Economic inequality only worsed under Dem leadership at the federal level. The constantly blue state of Washington has one of the most regressive tax systems in the country.
7) Stricter environmental regulations - Obama refused to implement an EPA recommended rule that would reduce pollution, expanded oil drilling, and tried off and on to push through unpopular projects like the Keystone pipeline.
8) Pro-immigration - Obama deported millions of undocumented immigrants. There's a few ways of calculating deportations, but any way you look at it the Dems are either on par or worse than recent Republicans. Regan's amnesty (2.9 million made legal citizens) was to the left of him.
9) Industrial regulations - I don't know where you're getting this one from, but I'll give a counter-example. In Washington, representative Larsen and several other Dems tried to attack the machinists union to help Boeing. The Dems gave a $8.7 billion handout to Boeing with no conditions attached.

I'll stop there because I'm out of time at the moment, but there's plenty more to go through, like college tuition spiking under Democrats as they cut education funding, their pro-imperialist military ventures, refusal to help regulate rent or support poor families getting screwed over by high housing costs. What the Democrats claim and how they actually act are two totally different things, and the Democrats have a long history of passing horrible laws that directly oppose the things they claim to stand for, and hurt the people they claim to represent. They've had immense power in this country for decades, and in many places, their inaction on critical issues speaks even louder than anything.

(I'll try and add more links and examples later when I have time)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The problem is that the Dems are prioritizing "we're a big tent party, that means we'll back anyone who calls themselves a Dem" over actually having a consistent message. Because they don't consider policy important, and because they tend to think of voters as marketing demographics rather than real people, they feel that compromising on policy will broaden their appeal.

For example, abortion. Over the past few months, the Dems have been quietly reaching out to pro-life groups and pro-life Dems. To the consultants and advertisers who run the party, that seems like a no-brainer - by having pro-choice candidates and anti-choice candidates, they think they can appeal to both pro-choice and anti-choice voters and therefore expand their base. To actual real-life voters to whom the issue actually matters, though, that just makes the Dems look lovely, dishonest, and not committed to the issue!

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just because someone doesn't think the tiki torch squad is the second coming of the Third Reich and literally more important than anything else doesn't mean I don't think they're punchable, and it doesn't make me a fascist, lil baby.

Now post some more anti-Semitic Alex Jones screeds, post a thread about me, or shut the gently caress up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

call to action posted:

Just because someone doesn't think the tiki torch squad is the second coming of the Third Reich and literally more important than anything else doesn't mean I don't think they're punchable, and it doesn't make me a fascist, lil baby.

Now post some more anti-Semitic Alex Jones screeds, post a thread about me, or shut the gently caress up.

They murdered a protester you shithead

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

They murdered a protester you shithead

Cops murdered an LGBT student leader yesterday.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

call to action posted:

Cops murdered an LGBT student leader yesterday.

And cops are fascist enforcers what's your point

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

And cops are fascist enforcers what's your point

Antifa seems extremely focused on one white woman while cops wholesale murder widescale portions of the population. Probably because they're too scared to fight the real enemy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

call to action posted:

Antifa seems extremely focused on one white woman while cops wholesale murder widescale portions of the population. Probably because they're too scared to fight the real enemy.

Antifa isn't a monolithic organization and individual crews, where they exist, tackle separate problems as they are applicable

For example, a local college has frats that are getting way out of hand and assaulting minorities and talking casually about doing gang rape as punishment, so a bunch of people are organizing a march through the Greek row area

Others are focused on police brutality and corruption, because those are more prevalent in their towns. Buffalo is having a rally about that today in fact!

You have no idea what you're talking about

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Antifa isn't a monolithic organization and individual crews, where they exist, tackle separate problems as they are applicable

For example, a local college has frats that are getting way out of hand and assaulting minorities and talking casually about doing gang rape as punishment, so a bunch of people are organizing a march through the Greek row area

Others are focused on police brutality and corruption, because those are more prevalent in their towns. Buffalo is having a rally about that today in fact!

You have no idea what you're talking about

I'm unironically glad that the 46 people who are apparently members of Buffalo Antifa are doing something that seems to actually matter.

Doesn't antifa marching against Greeks imply that they're Nazis though

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

call to action posted:

I'm unironically glad that the 46 people who are apparently members of Buffalo Antifa are doing something that seems to actually matter.

Doesn't antifa marching against Greeks imply that they're Nazis though

Greek row is a colloquial term used to refer to the part of a college town where frats are located you chud, so shut up

Also stop referring to antifa as if it's an actual formal organization

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
antifa is cool and good as is violent protesting in general

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Call To Action seems to be unusually fixated on suggesting a loose coalition of people united only by their opposition to fascism should stop opposing fascists

"so what if one woman died, we've got bigger fish to fry :rolleyes:" -- someone who is absolutely arguing in good faith

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

loquacius posted:

Call To Action seems to be unusually fixated on suggesting a loose coalition of people united only by their opposition to fascism should stop opposing fascists

"so what if one woman died, we've got bigger fish to fry :rolleyes:" -- someone who is absolutely arguing in good faith

This is why he should be on your ignore list. He is an honest to god fascist sympathizer, if not actual fascist.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, I am literally saying so what if one woman died when compared to the violence that police inflict on their communities every day. The fact that antifa targets nazi LARPers and not the people that kill literally dozens of minorities a week, that we know of, shows how cowardly they are imo

But of course condiv thinks that people who are against the cops are fascist. Big surprise.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I wanna watch a film noir movie where the chief of police takes the hard-boiled detective off the case because really it's only one murder and who cares about that when tons of people die every day, so this one murder is really nothing in the scheme of things when you think about it *hits bong*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

call to action posted:

Yes, I am literally saying so what if one woman died when compared to the violence that police inflict on their communities every day. The fact that antifa targets nazi LARPers and not the people that kill literally dozens of minorities a week, that we know of, shows how cowardly they are imo

But of course condiv thinks that people who are against the cops are fascist. Big surprise.
Go start punching fascist cops then

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
lol this has gotta be the least subtle concern troll ever. How about this cta, you go out and start fighting the cops, and the rest of us will follow once we see how it goes?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WITNESS: Yeah that's him, that's the guy who killed that woman with a car.
*crowd murmurs*
DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Objection! Isn't it true, Your Honor, that dozens of other people have died while we've been frittering away our time and resources harassing my client over the death of this one person?
JUDGE: *rubs chin* I suppose it is. Man, when you think about it, this trial is a huge waste of time. *bangs gavel* CASE DISMISSED

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The fact that all the trolls in this thread are trying to adopt leftier-than-thou positions says a lot about how discredit centrism has become. I mean, I'm sure somebody here could try to make some dumb arguments about how centrists hold the key to getting elected but after 2016 that argument has lost all its bite.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at extrapolating D&D behavior to real life politics.
if that was the case, 2016 D&D "show me the map" zeitgeist should have led to a landslide for Abuela

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

call to action posted:

when Tulsi Gabbard endorses fascist mass murder of muslims, cta informs us that we can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

when fascists murder a woman for protesting them, cta informs us that there are more important issues of violence to deal with

what a fascinating pattern

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

shrike82 posted:

What's the moral calculus if it's "more prisons" Harris v. "Bomb the Muslims" Gabbard in 2020

Harris seems to understand that the political wind is blowing in an economically progressive direction, and I don't really give a poo poo about what philosophy she holds deep in her heart (if any). Who knows, maybe she'll be an "actual progressive" (tm) in ten years' time. Gabbard's brand of lunacy probably doesn't have a cure for it, though. So the answer is, "progressives can and should do better than either of these two."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

shrike82 posted:

lol at extrapolating D&D behavior to real life politics.
if that was the case, 2016 D&D "show me the map" zeitgeist should have led to a landslide for Abuela

Yeah, but the "show me the map" zeitgeist was actually a pretty good guide to exactly how the average Hillaryman was thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Antifa tracked the Seattle Nazi from Twitter Feeds in an hour.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/antifascists-used-twitter-to-find-a-neo-nazi-walking-around?utm_term=.ly8jyWqv7R#.rwREgqxKBJ

<golf-clap>

• Locked thread