Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Natty Ninefingers posted:

First time at a major junior game tonight. Silvertips and Thunderbirds. After being raised on the AHL they look so sloppy and shrimpy it's really quite

be glad everett fired their coach and finally stopped playing the trap this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I was 12 when I made love for the first time, in Tropea, with a Roman girl who was 17 years old.

Mage_Boy posted:

I should really go to a WBS Knights game myself just to see how junior hockey looks. I've seen some high school games when they played after the AHL games some Friday nights. They really looked slow right after an AHL game ended.

Go, junior owns and WBS are good this year.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

You can be entertained, just do not expect high quality play. They have talent, they have enthusiasm, but they do not have the years of training that AHL lifers do. They have the tendency to pile in front of the goal, pound away on the puck, the goalie, the posts, and each other, and then once the puck is covered up or perhaps has gone sailing off into the corner it all degenerates into a pushing, jersey pulling match. This may have been heightened by the fact that they were playing the Thunderbirds, and both sides have clearly bought into the regional rivalry. It definitely makes you appreciate the professionalism, precision, and ice awareness of the AHL, as well as the fact that the AHL allows fighting (seriously, one actual fight and some steam would have actually been blown off).
This may seem like damning by faint praise, and it definitely, partly is. Yet, it is still is hockey, and when something beautiful rises out of that crazed mess its all the better for it. Slow it is definitely not.

nature6pk
May 26, 2006
Left Coast Lame-o

Junior hockey is fun for all the reasons sports should be fun to watch.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

You know how 3 on 3 overtime was crazy end to end fun when it first started and then eventually it got boring once the coaches turned it into a lot of skating in circles to keep possession? Junior hockey is that but the whole game.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Please tell me I'm worthy to launder your sweaty jock Mr. Edwards!

nature6pk posted:

Junior hockey is fun for all the reasons sports should be fun to watch.

Very true, shame about the lovely fans and small towns.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

If loving you is binturong, I don't want to binturight.

https://twitter.com/ToledoWalleye/s...268590430294021

Also ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna is stepping down after this season:

https://twitter.com/ECHL/status/961253476713017344

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

The ECHL has been calling up SPHL guys left and right. They broke the record for call ups about a month ago, first place Pensacola has pretty much turned over their roster due to guys going up and injuries (but they keep winning at a ridiculously high rate). Any reason why call ups are so popular this year?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

PotatoJudge posted:

The ECHL has been calling up SPHL guys left and right. They broke the record for call ups about a month ago, first place Pensacola has pretty much turned over their roster due to guys going up and injuries (but they keep winning at a ridiculously high rate). Any reason why call ups are so popular this year?

I think you've seen a big shift in the last few years at the NHL level, where teams are building up through prospects and the minors, as opposed to trying to win/build through free agency. Basically, they're calling up AHL guys, who in turn are calling up ECHL guys, etc.

stab
Feb 12, 2003
Logic dictates over "human rights".

If any of my staff ever dared to have a bottle of water at their register I'd kill them

- A Fuckwit

DJExile posted:

I think you've seen a big shift in the last few years at the NHL level, where teams are building up through prospects and the minors, as opposed to trying to win/build through free agency. Basically, they're calling up AHL guys, who in turn are calling up ECHL guys, etc.

and don't forget that there's 50 new contracts at the NHL level and the trickle down effect

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

TOLEDO/KANSAS CITY GOALIE FIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHT

https://twitter.com/JordanStrack/st...515598805753856

DJExile fucked around with this message at Feb 11, 2018 around 02:39

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I love the goalies go to fight each other, and then just stop on their own and leave the ice on their own.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Hockles posted:

I love the goalies go to fight each other, and then just stop on their own and leave the ice on their own.

Seriously, it's this great little "ok, you good? Yep, okay cool" thing and have done with it

iospace
Apr 20, 2020

Grimey Drawer

Goalie fights are the best type of fights.

Fight me if you disagree.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

"I saw Dallas Keuchel....THERE'S A BEARD!!!!!"

iospace posted:

Goalie fights are the best type of fights.

Fight me if you disagree.

Are you a goalie? This is important.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/JordanStrack/st...517526994477056

yeeeeeep there's gonna be some suspensions here

iospace
Apr 20, 2020

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

Are you a goalie? This is important.

No but one of my earliest memories are of Roy taking on tight Detroit goalies.

(And I wanted to be one)

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/JordanStrack/st...862251647684608

good poo poo, this

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/HFXMooseheads/s...768265016684546

yeah, it's just the "michigan" move again, but it's cool seeing a 7th round pick pull that off.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jesus, maybe Mr.Klotz should just retire. He got sonned and Tansey didn't even have to touch him (minus the one punch KO the previous year).

The league should toss the guy for the rest of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

WEAK.

ECHL posted:

Kansas City’s Garrett Klotz has been suspended for eight games and Eric Freschi has been suspended for two games resulting from their actions ECHL Game #641, Kansas City at Toledo, on Feb. 10. Both players have also been fined an undisclosed amount.

Klotz was assessed a match penalty for cross checking under Rule #59.4 at 12:14 of the third period. He is fined and suspended under Rule #28 – Supplementary Discipline.

This exact same thing happened last year against Toledo's Simon Denis (I forget who came down on him repeatedly) and the guy got 20 games. 8 is bullshit.

DJExile fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2018 around 22:58

«3 »