Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oracle posted:

The guy she promised a job to so he wouldn’t run against her then reneged was Palestinian.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Darren Bailey looks like a racist guy in an old Twilight Zone episode that gets sent back to the old west as a Cherokee or something.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Lammasu posted:

Darren Bailey looks like a racist guy in an old Twilight Zone episode that gets sent back to the old west as a Cherokee or something.

Disagree because that character has depth…Darren “Tactical Vest” Bailey has no depth whatsoever.

Yesterday, he did a press conference in front of a gas station where he had a “small business owner” talk about how she cannot run her business because of gas prices. Her business is literally driving around to different places to sell tea with Jesus quotes on it and shirts with Jesus quotes on it. (Side note: years ago, this woman said that she would only hire good Christian people and double downed when someone told her that that is illegal).

He then just complained about gas prices and blamed it on Pritzker. He offered no real solutions (because just ending it opens up a budget issue that he has no idea on how to solve) and just complained.

I know Pritzker thinks that a face off with Bailey will be a cake walk but I fear stupidity winning out and someone how Bailey continuing to fail upwards.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Irvin is the weaker candidate at this point, Pritzker should stop trying to help Bailey.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:laffo:

Seriously, I like Newman, I never lived in her district, but I kicked some money to her primary campaign in 2020, but what she did was so cringe and haphazard, it’s hard to feel that upset about the Dems loving her over.

Illinois politics, baby.

Illinois politics.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/TinaSfon/status/1535250805942517760

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
"Even if you in a benz you're still a nigga in a coupe" - Disgraced Former Chicagoan Philosopher

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

Irvin is the weaker candidate at this point, Pritzker should stop trying to help Bailey.

Does anyone even stand a chance against Pritzker? I feel like he's been mostly scandal-free (at least by Illinois standards) and has a war chest to use in a general election. It's a strong blue state and Bailey is pretty far-right.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Car sauce is $5, anything could happen

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Niwrad posted:

Does anyone even stand a chance against Pritzker? I feel like he's been mostly scandal-free (at least by Illinois standards) and has a war chest to use in a general election. It's a strong blue state and Bailey is pretty far-right.

I feel relatively chastened by the last six years so I'm afraid to say anything, but yeah I can't see soft blue burbs breaking for Bailey. And yet inflation, gas, pandemic, so who the gently caress knows I guess.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

It's the issue that all the Republicans have right now that they have to out stupid each other to win their primary that once they get to the general they are too radical to win a general. You got some more moderates in the burbs but it is hard to sell them with pants on head poo poo and it is a completely no go in the city. That isn't even counting how Pritzker is probably the most popular politician in the state.

Whomever Pritzker takes on he will likely beat by double digits unless something major happens. I honestly don't understand why you have multiple billionaires trying to push these far-right candidates. They have to know it is a losing endeavor and they would be better off burning the cash.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Djarum posted:

I honestly don't understand why you have multiple billionaires trying to push these far-right candidates. They have to know it is a losing endeavor and they would be better off burning the cash.

It's like a VC firm but with better returns on their investments. One of them will pay off someday. Especially with how cheap politicians are to buy.

For only a $25,000, you can back the guy that will sponsor legislation allowing billionaires to hunt poor people for sport! And the prey's family has to then pay the hunter's taxes!

E: ok ok I guess thats unrealistic. It would probably cost $35,000

Jows fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 10, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Djarum posted:

It's the issue that all the Republicans have right now that they have to out stupid each other to win their primary that once they get to the general they are too radical to win a general. You got some more moderates in the burbs but it is hard to sell them with pants on head poo poo and it is a completely no go in the city. That isn't even counting how Pritzker is probably the most popular politician in the state.

Whomever Pritzker takes on he will likely beat by double digits unless something major happens. I honestly don't understand why you have multiple billionaires trying to push these far-right candidates. They have to know it is a losing endeavor and they would be better off burning the cash.

A fool and his money are soon parted. Just cuz you have a lot of money doesn't mean you aren't a fool, and in Griffin's case, its personal (he has a huge hate-on for Pritzker and was instrumental in bankrolling the defeat of the initiative to make a graduated income tax, because it would've raised HIS taxes appreciably).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Clouseau posted:

I feel relatively chastened by the last six years so I'm afraid to say anything, but yeah I can't see soft blue burbs breaking for Bailey. And yet inflation, gas, pandemic, so who the gently caress knows I guess.

Roe v Wade being overturned (and possibly the Jan 6 stuff coming out now, I didn't expect much but watching it last night was quite the eye-opener, they aren't pulling punches) will guarantee a Pritzker win in the burbs, calling it now.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jows posted:

It's like a VC firm but with better returns on their investments. One of them will pay off someday. Especially with how cheap politicians are to buy.

For only a $25,000, you can back the guy that will sponsor legislation allowing billionaires to hunt poor people for sport! And the prey's family has to then pay the hunter's taxes!

E: ok ok I guess thats unrealistic. It would probably cost $35,000

Oh that I understand but in the case of trying to push a far right wacko for governor in a deep blue state with one of the most expensive media markets in the country? You are spending millions on a fools errand. You would be better off spending a fraction of that on candidates in small districts and try to get your agenda done at the Federal level but that is just me.

Oracle posted:

A fool and his money are soon parted. Just cuz you have a lot of money doesn't mean you aren't a fool, and in Griffin's case, its personal (he has a huge hate-on for Pritzker and was instrumental in bankrolling the defeat of the initiative to make a graduated income tax, because it would've raised HIS taxes appreciably).

Yeah I get why Griffin originally did it but this just doesn't seem like a good value for his money. Irvin was probably the best chance for a GOP victory for governor (Black, somewhat moderate, Northern) but with him sunk now there is zero chance. I have no idea what Bailey's endgame is since it isn't going to be in the governor's mansion. I assume once he wins the nomination we will have nonstop scandals concerning him it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/pielebowski/status/1535337116523282435

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

weird way to slide into someone's DMs

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Niwrad posted:

No.

JB will win without practically any effort. Regardless of whether Irvin or Bailey wins it won't be competitive.

The Illinois Republican party is comically run.
It's completely ineffective.
It has a hard-on for presenting a candidate who is too Liberal from the North and too Conservative from the South. By the time they get through the primary they will have spent so much time tearing each other apart the Democrat is left facing like this politically flayed and ruined corpse.

My favorite was Jack Ryan who had the court stuff drop right in the middle of primaries and he's smoked. Classic Illinois Republican poo poo.

It is hilarious listening to the radio ads around Springfield the Republicans fight each other with Amber Heard energy even for minor seats.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I am visiting southern Illinois this weekend (near Metropolis) and I sometimes forget what it’s like to be in deep red territory. I still see Trump/Pence signs around. Not too many signs for any of the gubernatorial candidates, lots for local races though.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
It’s a shithole down here. Flee while you can.

Source: I live in said shithole.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Luckily I’m just here to visit Shawnee National Forest and I leave Sunday.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Wow not even a Metropolis can impress you ppl

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bird in a Blender posted:

I am visiting southern Illinois this weekend (near Metropolis) and I sometimes forget what it’s like to be in deep red territory. I still see Trump/Pence signs around. Not too many signs for any of the gubernatorial candidates, lots for local races though.

I'm a 45 minute train ride out of the loop and still see trump signs on the reg.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

brugroffil posted:

I'm a 45 minute train ride out of the loop and still see trump signs on the reg.

There is this big Trump sign in my area that someone took a paint ball gun too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There were a ton of them here in Elmhurst.
And a whole clique of Trumpets at the dogpark.
Satistically a third of everyone in the state likes him.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bird in a Blender posted:

Here in Bloomington/Normal every chud who owns an open lot has giant Bailey signs (and all the nutjobs running for state and county).

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Ok, I’ll say Metropolis owns because the big rear end 1812 reenactment that happens in October.

Now the Salem-Effingham area? Meth filled wasteland.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

dwarf74 posted:

Here in Bloomington/Normal every chud who owns an open lot has giant Bailey signs (and all the nutjobs running for state and county).

Well better Bailey than Sullivan.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nash posted:

Ok, I’ll say Metropolis owns because the big rear end 1812 reenactment that happens in October.

Now the Salem-Effingham area? Meth filled wasteland.
The giant cross is full of meth.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Lammasu posted:

There is this big Trump sign in my area that someone took a paint ball gun too.

The one along i70 with the orange paintballs? Every time I see that, it brings some warmth to my heart.

Someone asked earlier what Bailey’s endgame is and the answer to that is the wingnut welfare circuit. Every step he has taken has just been to get to more power and fame. When governor does not shake out, he will start a speaking tour about how he took on the liberals of Illinois.

He can charge 2 bits a gander and still make tons of money.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Well better Bailey than Sullivan.

Yeah I think the only ones I’ve seen are for Bailey also.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The one along i70 with the orange paintballs? Every time I see that, it brings some warmth to my heart.

that's probably it. I've had to drive 70 from STL to Indy/C'bus a couple times this year and every time I've passed it I've said "well, huh" to myself.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

When governor does not shake out, he will start a speaking tour about how he took on the liberals of Illinois Chicago.

ftfy

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, you are right. That would be a major focus of any attack ads up there (last election saw as many votes for Trump in Chicago and the collar counties as downstate).

“Bailey wanted to kick you out of the state but now he wants your votes…”

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Someone asked earlier what Bailey’s endgame is and the answer to that is the wingnut welfare circuit. Every step he has taken has just been to get to more power and fame. When governor does not shake out, he will start a speaking tour about how he took on the liberals of Illinois.

He can charge 2 bits a gander and still make tons of money.

That's exactly it. Cool, we live in the same area.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Lammasu posted:

That's exactly it. Cool, we live in the same area.

I just drove past that Saturday and now it has a Bailey sign under the Trump one. The Bailey sign had not been shot with paintball yet, I'm sad to report.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

midwest ink posted:

I just drove past that Saturday and now it has a Bailey sign under the Trump one. The Bailey sign had not been shot with paintball yet, I'm sad to report.

Sounds like something you need to take care of.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
If anyone went to Lockport’s Canal Days, you would have had the pleasure of seeing some terrible MAGA merch in the vendor section.

Also, volunteers are out getting people to vote in the upcoming election - anyone have any thoughts on Rachel Ventura for state senate?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ringo Star Get posted:

If anyone went to Lockport’s Canal Days, you would have had the pleasure of seeing some terrible MAGA merch in the vendor section.

Also, volunteers are out getting people to vote in the upcoming election - anyone have any thoughts on Rachel Ventura for state senate?

The older parts of Lockport were covered with MAGA and thin blue line garbage in 2020, still a decent amount around there.

Rachel Ventura talked a good game when I saw her speak in person back in 2019 (?) when she was running for state rep iirc. She's been on the county board for several years now and helped bring better water to oft-neglected Fairmont. She's backed a lot of the progressive agenda: big on environment, M4A, labor rights, voting rights, LGBTQ+ rights, abortion rights etc. I'm not in the area she's running for now but I'd be voting for her if I were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
gently caress

https://twitter.com/repcasten/status/1536509698404405248