Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
It's almost nice seeing talk of Starved Rock and Mattheissen online. I loved when those were both places to go be alone in nature. One of the few things about living in LaSalle county that didn't make you want to shoot yourself in the head.

But now, they're both almost always full of loud, annoying douchebags who leave trash everywhere. It's like watching a once-lovely part of my childhood die of neglect.

Fair warning: if you live in Chicago and come down to Starved Rock, we locals are used to seeing headlines like "Random Idiot Chicagoan got drunk on the trails and fell to their death, YET AGAIN."
(seriously, don't drink and hike, for fucks sake.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Jesus, Rauner really knows how to make lovely ads. Just saw one with a bunch of Republican governors from neighboring states all smugly talking about how many jobs they’re. poaching from Illinois because of Madigan. Not like that can backfire against Rauner at all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/DudeSlater/status/922629837730340864

:thunk:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

JB Pissker

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Who are you all supporting in the primary? I'm still leaning toward The Traitor Biss (especially with Pawar out), even though he prolly doesn't have a chance, but I don't trust JB and there's no way I'm voting for Kennedy.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Jesus, Rauner really knows how to make lovely ads. Just saw one with a bunch of Republican governors from neighboring states all smugly talking about how many jobs they’re. poaching from Illinois because of Madigan. Not like that can backfire against Rauner at all.

Eh I thought it was kind of creative compared to the other stuff he's put out.

Willa Rogers posted:

Who are you all supporting in the primary? I'm still leaning toward The Traitor Biss (especially with Pawar out), even though he prolly doesn't have a chance, but I don't trust JB and there's no way I'm voting for Kennedy.

I liked Kennedy when he spoke out about the property tax scam but that's about all he's said that's impressed me. Biss is remarkable stupid on economic stuff which isn't appealing with the state in financial peril. I'm leaning toward JB right now as he's said everything I want to hear and I think he'd crush Rauner in a general. You mentioned you don't trust him, why is that? I tried to look through his history to find times when he's hosed a bunch of people over and I can't come up with it. I'm guessing he's embellished his record a bit but he seems like a decent guy from what I can see (although I'm open to being proven wrong).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Niwrad posted:

I liked Kennedy when he spoke out about the property tax scam but that's about all he's said that's impressed me. Biss is remarkable stupid on economic stuff which isn't appealing with the state in financial peril. I'm leaning toward JB right now as he's said everything I want to hear and I think he'd crush Rauner in a general. You mentioned you don't trust him, why is that? I tried to look through his history to find times when he's hosed a bunch of people over and I can't come up with it. I'm guessing he's embellished his record a bit but he seems like a decent guy from what I can see (although I'm open to being proven wrong).

I guess I don't trust him mainly bc (a) the Pritzkers were horrible union-busters when they were running the Hyatts and (b) he personally gave a half-mil to Correct the Record last year.

I'd rather a more vox-populi sort would run against Rauner than another illionaire but the pickings are pretty slim. I wish someone like David Orr were running.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

http://thedailyline.net/chicago/10/27/2017/lawmakers-unchecked-without-legislative-watchdog-1-8-million-appropriated-empty-office/

quote:

Meanwhile, the office of the state’s legislative inspector general sits empty. The Legislative Ethics Commission’s executive director, Randy Erferd, attends only to the group’s administrative needs and did not return calls for comment by publication.   

Despite this, $312,500 were appropriated for the Office of the Legislative Inspector General in the this year’s budget. The same amount was appropriated in 2013, 2014, 2015, and for the 2016-2017 year. A total of $1,875,000 million has been appropriated for an office which has not been occupied and to pay for a staff which doesn’t exist.

illinois politics at it's finest right here

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Why is this not in the OP:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Eh I thought it was kind of creative compared to the other stuff he's put out.

More creative yes, but seeing Scott Walker smugly talk poo poo about Illinois is not endearing in any way. That and seeing Indiana billboards about how much better it is to work there than Illinois for so many years makes me hate them too.

I'm really sad Pawar dropped out, even though he had no shot at winning. At least I could have voted for someone I liked.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

More creative yes, but seeing Scott Walker smugly talk poo poo about Illinois is not endearing in any way. That and seeing Indiana billboards about how much better it is to work there than Illinois for so many years makes me hate them too.

I'm really sad Pawar dropped out, even though he had no shot at winning. At least I could have voted for someone I liked.

lol politics isn't about voting for someone you like(it's rare someone genuinely likable is willing to go through the bullshit and glad handing it takes to be a candidate), it's voting against someone you hate, or voting for the person who's policies you hate the least.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I loving hate that commercial

"Thanks for the jobs, Illinois :smug:"

Said by all the trash states surrounding Illinois. Yeah Indiana and Missouri sure have a lot to brag about

I know I'm like the opposite of the target demo for it or whatever but it's extremely aggravating. Koch Stooge Scott Walker and a couple other GOP governors just gloating about doing their damnedest to turn their states into Kansas

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 30, 2017

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
All Madigan or Pritzker have to say is "Madigan was here when we weren't losing jobs, too" and run it 100 times a day.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

All Madigan or Pritzker have to say is "Madigan was here when we weren't losing jobs, too" and run it 100 times a day.

I very well could be wrong, but I think any Democratic nominee is best to just ignore Madigan. Rauner always seems to target Madigan, but the Democrats just need to attack Rauner, if they start defending Madigan, then the whole race just becomes a referendum on him and the Democratic party. Not like they can do much about Madigan anyway.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

He supported and/or was behind every major piece of legislation that torpedoed the state.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Niwrad posted:

He supported and/or was behind every major piece of legislation that torpedoed the state.

The state wasn't torpedoed in 1987, or '94, or even 2001.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

The state wasn't torpedoed in 1987, or '94, or even 2001.

Yes it was. Madigan supported the permanent 3% compounded pension increases, the Edgar Ramp, and letting workers retire early. Those three things destroyed the state's finances. The people in office right now are just trying to put a band-aid on the colossal gently caress-ups made by the people in charge in the late 80's on through the early 2000's.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
let's see how the statehouse sexual harassment stuff is going ,

quote:

As late as this week, and after repeated inquiries by myself and others, members were assured that there were “no pending cases” before the Ethics Commission. Today, I discovered that staff is, in reality, holding up to 27 separate complaints against members of the Illinois General Assembly, and have used the fact that no Inspector General has been named as the reason there are—technically—no pending cases since it only becomes a “case” when it is reviewed by the Inspector General.

oh. oh dear

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

House Deputy Majority Leader Lou Lang (D-Skokie), who frequently presides over the House in the absence of Madigan, said the group still meets every month “unless there’s no activity.”

When asked why the commission has not appointed a Legislative Inspector General in over four years, Lang said “There are lots of different processes going on. I think we’ll have one here shortly, though.”

“We haven’t found an appropriate person but I want to hasten to add that there have been no reports of ethics violations during that period of time so it’s not like there’s something that hasn’t been done,” he said.

lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Man_of_Teflon posted:

House Deputy Majority Leader Lou Lang (D-Skokie), who frequently presides over the House in the absence of Madigan, said the group still meets every month “unless there’s no activity.”

When asked why the commission has not appointed a Legislative Inspector General in over four years, Lang said “There are lots of different processes going on. I think we’ll have one here shortly, though.”

“We haven’t found an appropriate person but I want to hasten to add that there have been no reports of ethics violations during that period of time so it’s not like there’s something that hasn’t been done,” he said.

lol

good news, he's technically right! because sexual harassment is not defined as an ethics violation by the ethics committee

woooo

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Trevor Hale posted:

I legit love the Lincoln Library.

I'm such a sap, it actually made me cry a little the first time.

Krime posted:

Peoria and Springfield are 2 places that have job opportunities for my wife... I used to live near Edwardsville.

Enlighten me about life in these cities.

Born and raised in a small hole called Beardstown, Springfield feels like the nice balance between real city and small town that I can get with. The West and South sides of the city seem to be where a majority of the growth is occurring, while the North and East feel and look much older and more run-down by comparison. That being said at no point does it seem to reach the look of utter abandonment that portions of Peoria have.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, but for a small towner like me it has more than enough to keep me interested, and is located 90 minutes from St.Louis and 3 hours from Chicago right along I-55 making weekend trips easy as hell. Lots of state jobs and medical jobs to be had as well. There are also some nice satellite towns like Chatham that seem to attract more well to do individuals.

-Lincoln Library (the only real tourist attraction worth writing home about)
-3 Movie Theatres - I think one has a few IMAX screens.
-Plenty of Golf Courses
-Amusement Park - primarily a water park, but has mini-golf, go-karts, etc
-A large number of quality hospitals
-SIU of Medicine, and Springfield College
-Active theatre groups that do both in door and out door performances
-In-Door Mall
-Lots of restaurant options, you can either dine in the old downtown/city central area or focus on the main broadway where the mall is located with most of the newer businesses
-Lake Springfield if you're into boating, a lot nicer than doing anything on the Illinois River

Anything else in particular?

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 2, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/jon_greenberg/status/926194366082936832

That suuuuuucks

https://twitter.com/jon_greenberg/status/926201703585779713

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 2, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Apparently there's a one year statute of limitations on sexual harassment claims in the general assembly, so many of these claims hit that just waiting to be investigated

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Shofark yourself

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
i was expecting some sort of richard spenceresque punch to the face as that loaded.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
you'd be shot by a dozen cops if you tried to punch rahm

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I feel like Carrie Austin has to have smacked his stupid face a few times in private when he keeps loving up.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Biss has a new ad on facebook, it looks like it has a 30 second version for broadcast, too.

https://www.facebook.com/DanielBiss/videos/vb.18728922803/10155294942717804

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

Biss has a new ad on facebook, it looks like it has a 30 second version for broadcast, too.

https://www.facebook.com/DanielBiss/videos/vb.18728922803/10155294942717804

That's actually a pretty good ad; I wonder how long it'll take for Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield to try to file an injunction to get it off the air.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea that’s pretty good for a political ad. It’s the best way to attack Prtizker too, try to attach him to Rauner and Trump via the money. Most of the Democrats are very similar when it comes to policy, so you kind of have to attack on character.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-rahm-emanuel-challengers-2019-story.html

LaRaviere is gonna run for mayor, woo.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So today is the opening day for submitting signatures to get on the March 2018 primary ballot.

quote:

The candidate filing period ends Dec. 4. Candidates for statewide office must submit at least 5,000 valid signatures; people seeking to challenge the validity of a candidate's petitions have until Dec. 11 to file an objection that would be considered before the ballot is finalized.
Let challenge season begin!

quote:

Under Illinois law, a candidate who makes a proper filing will be on the ballot unless he or she is challenged, and that challenge is sustained by an electoral board. A "proper filing" is really nothing more than a Statement of Candidacy, though. Other paperwork could be missing, and there could be far fewer signatures than necessary. This is how that strangest of loopholes comes in - if you file only your own signature, but nobody challenges your paperwork, you're on the ballot!

What this means is if you live in a district where some scumbag has applied to be on the ballot, you can officially challenge and get him thrown off if it turns out his/her paperwork isn't correctly filed or they don't have the proper amount of signatures or not enough of those signatures are deemed 'valid.' This is the unofficial political sport of Illinois and any experienced pol worth the name is really loving good at it (or at least their bevy of lawyers are). This may well happen to Rauner's far-right challenger.. Want to see who's filed already? Check here.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So guess who's funding pedophile Roy Moore's SuperPAC.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/roy-moore-super-pac-financier-finally-revealed

quote:

Illinois businessman Richard Uihlein provided $100,000 to the group, Proven Conservatives PAC, since September, according to a new filing with the Federal Election Commission, making him by far the group’s top donor.

Uihlein is one of the main funders of the Illinois Policy Institute.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Luis Gutierriez not running again in the 4th district. Chuy Garcia expected to run to replace him, and I would say he has a pretty good chance. Chuy is a lot like Luis I feel, hell I wouldn't even mind Chuy being in Congress for a little bit and trying to make another stab at mayor or even governor depending on who we have in each spot.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
Carlos Rosa is also going to run so that's a tough spot...

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Luis Gutierrez isn't running for re-election. The official announcement is at 1 today, with Chuy Garcia, so the assumption is that Gutierrez is going to endorse Chuy and get the base minimum of signatures by the deadline next week.

Carlos Rosa is definitely running, and probably Omar Aquino, Joe Moreno, or George Cardenas.

Chuy and Cardenas are from the Southwest Side, the other 3 from the Northwest Side (Moreno's from Logan Square, that doesn't really count)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The X-man cometh posted:

Luis Gutierrez isn't running for re-election. The official announcement is at 1 today, with Chuy Garcia, so the assumption is that Gutierrez is going to endorse Chuy and get the base minimum of signatures by the deadline next week.

Carlos Rosa is definitely running, and probably Omar Aquino, Joe Moreno, or George Cardenas.

Chuy and Cardenas are from the Southwest Side, the other 3 from the Northwest Side (Moreno's from Logan Square, that doesn't really count)

Yeah this is a big setup which is always funny. Chuy probably got the heads up from Gutierrez to be ready to get signatures, and in exchange Chuy stays out of Rahm's way (since Gutierrez is a Rahm ally).

There's also the puerto rican vs mexican component to this but I don't think that'll actually matter due to the signature deadline. This district shouldn't even exist due to how badly gerrymandered it is, but so it goes.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Luis Gutierriez not running again in the 4th district. Chuy Garcia expected to run to replace him, and I would say he has a pretty good chance. Chuy is a lot like Luis I feel, hell I wouldn't even mind Chuy being in Congress for a little bit and trying to make another stab at mayor or even governor depending on who we have in each spot.

Finally my gang tag is relevant again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah this is a big setup which is always funny. Chuy probably got the heads up from Gutierrez to be ready to get signatures, and in exchange Chuy stays out of Rahm's way (since Gutierrez is a Rahm ally).
So why'd he step down? Another incoming sexual harrassment scandal or the numbers showed he wasn't a lock or Rahm calling in favors or what? Also actual article link you lazy Chicago fuckers.