Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All I know about Rockford is the BMO center is a fine place to watch hockey, and Machine Shed is a fine place to add 20 pounds to your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because as we all know, the most effective way to produce change is to discuss the REAL ISSUES on a comedy forum.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Garden of the Gods is quite nice!

Struggling to come up with anything else worth visiting down that way though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Starved Rock is cool- go down there once a couple times a year at least.

Unfortunately it's the closest hiking location to Chicagoland, and in the summer it attracts some pretty unbearable crowds.

It's amazing in the winter though, too bad it doesn't seem to freeze like it used to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's impossible. Everyone who lives in Illinois is dumb and last I checked Chicago is still part of Illinois.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a Caterpillar plant in Aurora over by Oswego, you don't gotta go all the way to Peoria.

Though I think they're shutting that one down too.

But hey as long as you're out there you can go to the Air Classics Museum.. with approximately 10 planes total!

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.764...!7i13312!8i6656

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's hard to overestimate how big a deal the railroads were. After 1850 cities lived and died based on the decision to build track through an area.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Wouldn't they just move out to the burbs? I mean they can't make all of Chicagoland have sky high rent.

Yes, and the middle class already lives there. 30+ miles away from the loop, overwhelmed highways, and train stations with 10 year waiting lists for parking. Sure is a great place to settle!

(the burbs are rather nice if you can work in the burbs though)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But I wasn't trying to compare Chicago to coastal cities.

Just pointing out that "move to the burbs!" doesn't actually solve any problems if your job is in the city. Sure you can now afford to put a roof over your head, but now you're losing 15 hours of your week to commuting and are constantly exhausted from it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah that's not fair, everyone knows that when talking politics you don't have to take into account the misdeeds of the party you prefer, all that matters is the indiscretions of the party you dislike.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real insult is they're buying youtube ads now. Six months ago I wouldn't have thought I'd miss wix ads, but in hindsight they're preferable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

An ultra wealthy politician hoovering sympathy votes with a heartstrings tugging ad campaign, it's worked a million times before and will continue working until long after we're all dead.

The worst part is they wouldn't do it if it weren't so effective.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They do get super/non-human treatment. They're immune to law enforcement and get enormous bonuses when they fail at their job.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can I switch to the timeline where marketing doesn't control every single facet of my life? gently caress campaign ads to the end of time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gotta love Illinois hitting national news because 20,000 people voted to nominate a Nazi for the house. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't see how it could get worse as entire commercial blocks were political ads for the past couple weeks. Maybe the next step is buying product placement on big bang theory.

"this is most amazing my fellow nerd stereotype, this sealed box contains a politician that voted to murder baby seals. He may be dead or he may be alive, we can't know unless we open it! let's leave it closed so he can't ruin the state of Illinois further."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least Wheaton isn't Naperville.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then you got poor old Warrenville stuck between all of them that wants to continue to be a small dead town (including the scummy speed trap cops) but people with money looking for their mcmansion keep invading.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wheaton hasn't been dry for a long time. A quick google shows it was repealed in 1985. All their restaurants serve booze.

Not that I'm trying to be the Wheaton Defender, it's a weird conservative holdout.

But I just wanted to get a dig in on Naperville, a place I hate with firey passion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real problem with Wheaton is Jack Straw's went to poo poo after the original owner got sick/died and his son couldn't keep the place open on account of making lovely food and now it's gone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But in 2018 history is malleable and all you have to do is say what you want the truth to be really loudly and frequently until everyone accepts it as reality.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's one of those things where you want to let them do it just to demonstrate what a stupid idea it is, but the paperwork to get it done is prohibitive and not worth the eventual smug feeling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I go up there for AHL games a couple times a year and it's a pretty sketch looking place.

Downtown is still decent but you gotta drive through some really beat up spots to get there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He's got 57,000 square miles of places he's taken a poo poo on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can we still get his ice cream though because it's pretty tasty.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Devo posted:

Why do I need to retire anyway? I'll just croak teaching algebra when I'm 80-something and they can throw a blanket on me and shuffle in the next underpaid 23 year old.

They'll put up a plaque in the hallway commemorating the 60 years you ground away there so that should be award enough.

If your next of kin pays for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm curious where these people fleeing Illinois are going because everywhere my wife and I have considered for a move has had a much higher cost of living, especially if we want to buy a house.

(not considering leaving because of any particular issue with life in the state, we just want mountains nearby)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well for one a universal basic income will never exist in the US so any scenario based on one existing is worthless.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My favorite YouTube ads are the five second ones where they try to get the scary doom music and horrible closet skeletons out all at once.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I retired and pulled up stakes, it sure as poo poo wouldn't be to a neighbor that also has nothing going on except growing corn.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s too bad someone can’t find a poo poo load of oil somewhere in the state.

Um, ethanol! :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fishing with the fam posted:

Yeah, but what if he has good ideas on how to fix the mess in Washington?

Gas chambers have been taboo for quite some time now, he'd probably be unable to get them implemented.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

brugroffil posted:

So are there any liberal groups/think tanks with policy papers out there on various ways to fix Illinois? Pretty much only ever exposed to IPI trash

Just need a cow and an oil lamp.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kerning Chameleon posted:

It just now occurred to me, I didn't need to put anything in the return envelope other than the ballot in its envelope, right? Because vote.org is saying you needed some form of return address proof in there as well, which I didn't do.

The instruction sheet says for mailing you do three things: put the ballot in the envelope, sign it on the back, and put a stamp on it.

No extra stuff goes in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be fine with that, we should do it for all politicians. Take an office, spend time in jail proportional to how long you sat there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Should have bought the 'change your handwriting' option with that package.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I drive through that area a few times a year to visit the raceway but it's always on weekends, is dead as gently caress so you got these huge pristine roads with not a single car in them cutting past corn fields and a handful of the warehouses.

Is super tempting to bury your foot but there is always a couple cops camped out, I don't think I've ever not seen a speed trap.

I have no doubt the town is in trouble but the infrastructure doesn't seem THAT bad down there. Lots of work has been done the last several years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, anyone that played simcity knows you just gotta lower taxes by a half a percent for a few months and once everyone moves in jack it back up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just make that the full job title "Introducing the honorable Secretary of State Jessie White Sam McGee".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yo dawg, I heard you like wires.