Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I moved to Decatur recently. Looks like we picked an exciting year. It'll be interesting living in a blue state. It seems like people around here are pretty conservative though. It's really shocking to hear Rauner talking about how terrible his state is. Does he not think that reflects poorly on his governership?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Coworker was sounding off about school vouchers being cool and good today despite not actually knowing anything about them or how the tax deductions for private scholarships work (which is how he got onto vouchers). Then I realized I'm not clear on how it works or what the new school funding formula is. Where can I find what Illinois' new school funding formula is? Google is not helping.

I don't even know if schools here get funded based on enrollment or something else.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Krime posted:

Peoria and Springfield are 2 places that have job opportunities for my wife... I used to live near Edwardsville.

Enlighten me about life in these cities.

I work in the outskirts of Peoria. Everyone I've met has been pretty nice, and the Seasons restaurant in nearby Morton is surprisingly good. I live more than an hour out of town to be close to my wife's job so I can't say much more.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

xzzy posted:

Gotta love Illinois hitting national news because 20,000 people voted to nominate a Nazi for the house. :v:

At least he doesn't have much chance of beating the democrat candidate.

Supposedly the GOP is planning on funding an independent to run against their own candidate in the general. Pretty hosed up.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Big Black Dick posted:

Because half the state will hear the words "raise taxes" and vote no even though it would actually lower taxes for the vast, vast majority of the populace. 'Taxes' is a word like incest and oval office in the US: the last taboo.

If the Dems have a brain they'd phrase it as lowering taxes. Sure, the Republicans will phrase it as raising taxes, but they're going to do that no matter what.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Well my home is assessed higher than it's actually worth (likely so one of Madigan's clients can pay less). So I'm going off what I'm paying currently. I'm assuming I'm not the only one in that boat.

I'm sure most people base their decision on family and jobs. I know I'm in Illinois mainly for family. But I do think if you were unencumbered by either and deciding where you want to live, Illinois would be a terrible choice.

If you bought a house in Denver in 2008 for $300k, it'd be worth about $450k today. If you did the same in Chicago, it'd be worth around $285k. That's a $165k difference, $16.5k a year. Throw in that tax difference and you're talking a lot of money (probably $20k a year). You can do this with virtually any major city. All with similar amenities as Chicago.

Like I don't buy that people are packing up their bags over a 2% tax increase but there does have to be a breaking point I'd imagine. Especially if none of these taxes are being put back into the state and just going to someone retired. It seems like there has to be something behind the mass exodus of people out of this state.

The governor constantly running down the state miiiiight have something to do with it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

One of JB's companies got caught union-busting, so the gent did the only thing he could do in labor-friendly Illinois: a 180.

What do you know, some good did come from having him as the Democratic candidate.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Clouseau posted:

Yup: https://www.facebook.com/billy.dean.77/posts/2411070308918169?__xts__[0]=68.ARD2F3oSXLYRr46ta9sAJBIl0NDOsRSvXt-uZ1FoiTaZee1xzZfYBc9Pp6F3ZTinghCOuvX10pv-RYICDtTq2tyhBjgh3Zu-UDbP3x4NxTffoaLw5xwdUmdJU7DrHsDLR7JGGkU3YsPvjD4BOJoh_ljGbLfx-fOHtdKED47QwYscrTLHa8COAy4&__tn__=H-R

Gotta c/p it because the Facebook bracketing confuses the bbcode.

EDIT: Or better -

I have no words.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Seize the personal property of the politicians who failed to properly fund the pension system. Make 'em put their money where their promises were.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is there any truth to claims of overtaxing? Any slightest smidge? Illinois is a flat tax state with a ludicrously low rate compared to everywhere else I've ever lived. Does the state have crazy high taxes on something else to make up for it?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

VP Pence was in Springfield today. http://www.sj-r.com/news/20181012/watch-replay-vice-president-mike-pence-in-springfield

They closed down a major section of the city's ringroad for over two hours. His speech was only 35 minutes long so it seems like they closed the road down before he used it and kept it closed through his entire speech and didn't open it again until he left. I noticed because work is right next to the road they closed (Veteran's Pkwy) which made for a very loooooooooong lunch. There's still bumper to bumper traffic out front as people try to drive around the closure.

The same road leads right to the airport so I wouldn't be surprised if they had the whole way closed off which would amount to a little over a third of the circumference of Springfield.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Counterpoint: Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh was not appointed because he's a good judge.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 16, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Source4Leko posted:

I can't remember being less excited about a candidate than JB, mostly because he seems like a massive piece of poo poo. This state is so hosed if that rear end in a top hat really was the best the Democratic party could do. I look forward to seeing his approval ratings solidly in the 40's a week after the inauguration until the next election.

Hopefully he's more exciting successful than Hillary.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm from Decatur and I really hope Rodney Davis eats poo poo

:):hf::) I feel like Decatur is mostly red so its always nice to hear from another Democrat. Betsy only lost by 1.4% (3,700 votes). It was so close she was still encouraging people to stay in line to vote after 7p.m. I don't think she's conceded, has she?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thwomp posted:

Edit: Bonus tears, his tweets an hour after he blocked me were about grown adults unfollowing people because their political opinions differ. lol

This is what I find most detestable about Republicans this decade. They consistently do something bad and then accuse everyone else of having done it while stridently claiming that they didn't. Even my previously reasonable family members and coworkers have started doing it.

Dexo posted:

Lmao Jeanne Ives is big mad

Ives posted:

Congratulations Chicago!
Now the bailout of your junk rated government will accelerate in earnest as your favored sons and daughters use the rest of the state as an ATM to pay for your bloated, inefficient and corrupt institutions.
That’s really what last night was about.
In case the rest of you willfully uninformed voters across the state were confused about what is next.
What does that even mean? She's so mad half of those sentences aren't even coherent. It would be laughable if people like her didn't keep getting elected. At least we've been spared her for the next 4 years.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Wait, doesn't that imply Rauner likes Pritzker better than he likes Ives? Since he didn't bow out and let her run even though he didn't want to?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

ArgaWarga posted:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/mike-madigan-anne-stava-murray-democrat-speaker-legislature-springfield/

I don't remember seeing this come up in the thread, but basically Naperville state rep runs on a campaign of not supporting Madigan for speaker (on account of his workplace harassment inaction) and now she gets threats of retaliation if she does this. Oh and also she was "forcibly kissed" at a dinner but she didn't care to elaborate.

Why can't politicians at least pretend to be decent people?

the linked article posted:

Stava-Murray also alleges in the letter that she was “forcibly kissed” at a separate dinner with lawmakers, “as were three other first-year female legislators.” A male colleague was not kissed but was greeted with a firm hand on his shoulder.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I am literally for a law that bans cities giving any sort of tax break to any private company. Nationwide would be preferred. The public should not be subsidizing capital like this. It creates competition between towns to cut taxes, and corporations just use them up and move on. It won't stop unless it comes down from on high because there is always going to be some idiot city manager or village president that just sees jobs and signs the town's life away.

Could put it into the state constitution.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

esquilax posted:

All that does it reduce Illinois's competitiveness for business. It's an interstate commerce issue.

The article that started this discussion is about a town that is $30 million worse off now than if it would be if it had never offered a tax break to attract a company. "Competitiveness" that results in a net loss for the tax payers we can do without.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Beastie posted:

Not exactly Illinois (but close enough), Reply All did an awesome piece on Mt. Pleasant's FoxConn plant, and what an utter con job it was.

My guess is the mayor will be living in the Caymans in a decade, with a giant mystery bank account.

https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/132-negative-mount-pleasant

Amazing. According to the article it'll be at least 30 years before they could even break even since they didn't just give tax breaks but actual money they had to take out loans for. There's no way that factory will still be running in thirty years.

I especially like the part where they promised to pay to relocate people and then didn't pay people who didn't demand cash up front. Just so they could save a few thousands of dollars on a 750 million budget.

The article doesn't mention anything the council or the mayor gets out of this. Its entirely possible they were so stupid as to sell out their town, break promises they personally made to people they've known all their life, for absolutely nothing. Its breathtaking. I hope the mayor did get a big payout and the reporters just weren't able to find it. That would be easier to understand than such monumental stupidity as to make the deal despite hundreds of people saying it was a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

brugroffil posted:

JB out with his flat tax proposal

https://capitolfax.com/2019/03/07/pritzker-unveils-proposed-graduated-tax-rates/#comments

Note that it's marginal up to the $1M bracket---then it's a flat tax on all the income.

I like it. I hadn't expected the $100k - $250k bracket to get a tax break but even an itty bitty .05% break is a nice symbolic gesture.