Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Alane of House Norovir

Alane sighs and lays down her cards, then takes a large gulp from her drink. It seems today was proving an excellent example of why one should not throw good money after bad. The cards hold little hope for reversing her fortune, it seems, and her head for money quickly brushes away the last prickles of stubborn pride. It was a stupid game, anyways, and why should she concern herself with it? Let the humans war amongst themselves for petty coin.

The coachman's offer catches her ear. It's more than fair. Starting with that low of an offer, though, meant they'd likely plunge ever lower to get their business. Alane smiles at the two coachmen, then says, "Your offer is generous, extremely so, but if we're to inhabit your fine vehicle like tinned fish... Perhaps you could adjust the rate down a bit more?" She moves a bit closer, almost whispering into Gunther's ear at this point, "It sounds as though you're hoping that our numbers will dissuade any banditry... I'd not complain were that the case, it is of benefit to us too, after all, but I'll need something more tempting to convince the holdouts~"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
The Bar Room

"She'sh right. It'sh gonna be tight", Volker says, earning himself a taste of Gunther's elbow in his side. "That's already accounted for. Usually the rate would be at least 12, if not 15 gold pieces for the distance", Gunther insists, but he looks at you as if he's still willing to negotiate.

Should have been clearer that you need to roll if you want to get anywhere in this negotiation.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sorry about that, I rolled, just forgot to paste it in: Haggle: 1d100 61

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Sathren Birdsong

Sathren grimaces at the mention of bandits and worse. "I'd sooner strap myself to the roof of the coach than travel on foot, no matter how close we are to Altdorf. I've lived in the wild long enough to know what dwells in the forest, and I'd sooner be out some money than lose my life. Never seen one of the Beastmen myself, but I've heard stories... Stories about humans in the Empire leaving their babies born with extra eyes or arms on a hillside to die. It's said the Beastmen come out from under the canopies of the dark forests and steal those children away. Hence, why the monsters are so numerous, no matter how many are killed." He hangs his head in quiet reflection. "Several of my kin were killed in a battle not long ago. There is so much darkness in the world, and yet the good races are so isolated..."

He looks with interest to Sarvesh and Aise. "I am dying to see the Imperial Palace. I've only ever read about it, but it sounds amazing. Gothic arches of dark stone rubbed up against elven-inspired gardens. Huge fortifications piled up against flimsy wattle and daub outhouses. It's definitely one of the sights to see... but she's right. At least from what I've read, the fashions in court are almost as elaborate and complex as the palace intrigues."

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Leopold von Bek

As he ties with Michel, Leopold looks rather surprised at his own luck.

"Huh. That's three silver each, right?"

When Alane's negotiations with the two coachmen hit a lull, he interjects:

"It's a generous offer you've made us, and I'm sure we'd all like to save a few day's walking. But, Gunther, aren't you underestimating our chances on the road? Just looking around the table, I can see two people -" Leopold gestures at Yavandir and Sarvesh "- who look to be soldiers of some description. I'm not, but I've fought off bandits before, and I know I'm good at it. And if you look at her sword -" This time, he gestures to Alane "- it's plain from how much wear it's got that she's put it to a lot of use. That's four out of us seven who can handle ourselves if we have to fight off bandits or beastmen on the road, and if we're travelling with you then that's more protection than just safety in numbers. It's down to your judgement, of course, but I'd say that's worth a bit more of a discount."
Haggle, TN 40: 1d100 12

His argument concluded, he leans back in his chair. When Michel starts inviting players for a third round, Leopold halfheartedly puts a silver piece into the centre pot.

Gambling: 1d100 20

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 15, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Sarvesh Ironbaker

"Soldier? In all honesty, I am just a poor apprentice runesmith. Heading to Altdorf for a chance to see the Runefang there. They are one of the great wonders of the world, you see. Some of the other apprentices disagree with me, but I believe they are one of the finest things created by dwarvenkind, and I am hoping to draw inspiration from them. That being said, I also hope to arrive safely in Altdorf first...

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
The Bar Room

"You shtill look she part of a sholdsher", Volker comments on Sarvesh's objection, "shat'sh the important bit for keeping trouble away." Gunther sighs as Volker suddenly lets out a moan of pain, likely coming from whatever caused that sound under the table between the two coachmen. "Very well," Volker concedes, "if you're willing to ride on top of the coach instead of inside and make it look like it's a well-guarded coach, we'll make it fo... five gold."

Sathren's story of mutated children left to die causes some commotion at the table. "On my way here, I heard that down in the town Silberwarz a child was born with horns and hooves like it was a goat or a ram. The local priest of Sigmar ordered that the babe be burned. What a terrible fate for the child - and the mother!", Michel relates. Volker replies decidedly: "Poor mother? She did something vile, she did, to give birth to an abomination! Should have burned her, too, to be safe."

He continues: "You heard of Franziskus Heinzdork, right? Famed witch-hunter. A good man. A very good man. Down in Teufelfeuer he discovered the whole village was feasting on raw meat in service of some demon. He burned down the whole village - rightly so! We need more men like him to keep the Empire safe!"

Jo Joestar: Correct. Three silver for you!

Waiting on fool_of_sound for whether or not Reidar plays yet another round.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
[Sorry, I’ve been out of town using orokos is a pain on my phone. I’ll post this evening.]

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Reidar

Reidar wiggles his expansive eyebrows knowingly at Michel. Smiling right at the Breton, he tosses another coin into the pot.

(Watching for any tricks as well)

Gambling: 1d100 9

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Apologies for the lack of update. I've been dealing with some personal issues that kept me from doing RPG stuff over the last couple of weeks, but I should at least have let you know. I hope you're still on board for this.

The Bar Room

Michel deals another round of cards. At first Leopold thinks he's got a good hand, but he quickly realizes Reidar and the Bretonnian have even better cards. So the decision comes down to Reidar and Michel. The dwarf watches his opponent carefully, suspecting something. When Michel starts fidgeting around with his last card, Reidar's eyes become even more focused and his suspicions become certainty. His trick is subtle and quick, holding his card in his palm close to his sleeve, pulling a hidden card into his palm and pushing the original card back into his sleeve. Then he reveals the highest possible card. With a smile he says: "Well played, my dwarven friend, but luck is with me it seems."

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Leopold von Bek

As the game concludes, Leopold drops his cards onto the table, counts up his winnings, and and sweeps them off the table into one of his pockets.

"Mm. It's sad for the mother, but at least this way, it's only her who suffers - and the poor bastard who gets the job of killing the thing, of course. What else is there to do? The only other option is to expose the babe, where it either dies, or it gets picked up by its own kind, and grows up to become just like them. When an abomination's born, there's no easy way out.
I've got to wonder, though, how do elves and dwarves deal with their mutants?"

He backs out from the conversation for a second, and beckons for the innkeeper.

"Still, a village of cultists called 'Teufelfeuer'? I guess that's wearing your heart on your sleeve. I'm sure our witch hunters wish they'd all be so obliging. Killing mutants is one thing, but ferreting out heretics who look just like you or me must be difficult work."

As the innkeeper approaches, Leopold slides five gold coins over to Volker, and pulls out a few more silver coins.

"I don't imagine you will, but - you see, I'm a Talabeclander, this is the first time I've left the province, and I don't know how long it'll be before I see home again. I'd like to have something to remind me of home on my travels. It's a long shot, but do you have any Talabecland firewater in your cellars? I'll happily buy a whole bottle or two, if you've got any."

Haggle, bottle of spirits.: 1d100 2

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 12, 2017

• Locked thread