Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

JohnnySmitch posted:

I’m almost done with my 90’s inspired alt/rock album - if anyone wants to give it a listen and share any thoughts or notes on it, I’d really appreciate it. I’d love to get a few fresh ears on it to give it the last bit of polish before releasing on Spotify:

Pawn Shop Radios - Never/Now/Whenever

Link doesn't work. If it's a sound cloud private link they're often glitchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40-bA2X6cxE

Halloween Liker fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 26, 2021

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I've been making pretty good progress lately, applying every lesson I learned from my first album that I released in January, I have about half of an album's worth of material outlined at this point (in spite of deleting twice that much content in editing already). A criticism of my first album that I took to heart is that the tracks didn't seem to "pay off" enough after all the tension and build so that's the angle I'm gunning for this time, as much energy and catharsis as I know how to create. I'm really happy with what I have going so far, here's a clip from the build to the album's guitar-driven climax: https://soundcloud.com/user-927987433/dyssomnia-preview-edit/s-zLFUwqzvXMw.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 23, 2021

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
I recorded an album last year. Mostly me at home, but the band (well, two piece) got together in between lockdowns to do some bits.

Kinda electronic punk with some noise, pop and metal.

It's not very professional but I'm fairly happy with it. I think it's a good listen. I've sat on it for a while hoping we'd be able to get together and fix, rerecord bits but lockdowns never ending and I want to move onto some new stuff so::

https://soundcloud.com/liefeld-hxc-442298584/sets/liefeld-one-of-these-archetypes-must-die

Would love some feedback!

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.

internet celebrity posted:

I've been making pretty good progress lately, applying every lesson I learned from my first album that I released in January, I have about half of an album's worth of material outlined at this point (in spite of deleting twice that much content in editing already). A criticism of my first album that I took to heart is that the tracks didn't seem to "pay off" enough after all the tension and build so that's the angle I'm gunning for this time, as much energy and catharsis as I know how to create. I'm really happy with what I have going so far, here's a clip from the build to the album's guitar-driven climax: https://soundcloud.com/user-927987433/dyssomnia-preview-edit/s-zLFUwqzvXMw.

I like it. Checking out your album now.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
EDIT: Wrong thread.

My next album is coming along quickly, though. It's more guitar driven than my first.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://radical51.bandcamp.com/track/dee-lahh

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I'm writing a musical for April as part of Script Frenzy, which hopefully includes all of the songs in the show (though I don't think I'll have time to also record it in April as well, so maybe that's going to be May). Tall order, since I'm rarely a fast songwriter, but hopefully this will force me to get over my perfectionistic tendencies and just write.

Anyway, if anyone else is up for a new creative challenge, come join us in CC for Script Frenzy during the month of April! The challenge is to write a 100 page script in 30 days: musicals, rock operas, one man shows, cabarets and the like all count! It'd be awesome to have other songwriters to talk shop with in CC. Also collaboration is allowed, so if you're feeling confident on the songwriting front but less so on the script writing side, :justpost: in the thread and maybe you'll find a librettist/bookwriter who's open to a collaboration!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
edit: Nothing to see here, preview track I posted has changed pretty significantly so it's no longer relevant.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 3, 2021

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme
I have jumped back into doing music again, I seem to do so every four years.

Really enjoying Ableton mixed with a bunch of free VSTs I got from Spitfire.

Would it be wrong to redo everything I have ever done using a string quartet VST?

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme
Also, here is the string quartet track rough cut:

https://soundcloud.com/why-zodiac/this-great-depression

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Making pretty steady progress on my, uh, post-rock/ambient/drone/noise rock/whatever album I've been working on this year and I'm pretty happy with what I have going on. I think everything is a big step up from the first thing I released earlier this year. I'm about a track and a half from being done outlining and I decided to do an export and a quick and dirty master to test drive what I have so far. Check it out here if you want, would love some feedback too.

https://soundcloud.com/user-927987433/liminal-epoch-as-of-722021/s-RN1TZn5Ip2W

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
My second new wave/synthpunk album comes out on 7/9! It's more guitar driven than my first, and I'm very proud of it. My production, especially singing, has come a long way since my first album.

Here is the preview page for the new album. The song Introduction is 1:15 long, and if you like that, you'll probably like the rest of the album. See Ya In Hell, Chief, originally titled I'm Sick of Elon Musk's Stupid loving Face, is the first single and one of my favorites of the bunch.

Faustbot - Technicolor Dreamboat

I also released a bunch of outtakes the other day if songs that, for one reason or another, didn't make the album. These are mostly instrumentals, with Spooktastic being the crowd favorite, and Death Surf being my personal favorite.

Faustbot - Greyscale Nightmare Junk

And, for good measure, here is the first album. Scratch a Liberal and Hunting Season are the crowd pleasers here, but I'm partial to Origin 2 - The Ritual, since that has the best production on the album and I'm really proud at how it came out.

Faustbot - Synthetic Noise

I was planning on taking a little break since I recorded and released two albums in a year, but I picked up Cherry Audio's PS-20 on sale last night and it's exactly what I want in a softsynth, so who knows.

Xamboni
Dec 27, 2005
Recorded an album with my NOLA band two years ago and it was finally released this week. I play piano, trumpet, and sing, and my originals are 2, 6, 8, and 13. Hope you enjoy!

https://thebasinstreetboys.hearnow.com/the-basin-street-boys

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I don't know if this is too weird/unstable sounding to post here, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experience:

Whenever I'm working on an album and getting past what seems like 2/3rds of the tracking, I start getting this pervasive thought that something is going to happen to prevent me from finishing it. Usually that means dying in some random/freak way, but it could just be whatever circumstances that would prevent me from finishing it.

Yeah yeah I know, it's anxiety, talk to a therapist, but anyone else here have that specific type of anxiety? I know at least one pro musician who told me they also have this specific anxiety (they were the one who brought it up), so I'm guessing there are others? I wish my anxiety was that it would be bad or no one would like it, but my mind instead goes to getting hit by a truck.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

magnificent7 posted:

I've been writing/recording my next album for the past 10 years.

What are YOU doing with YOUR life?

So, 4 years later, here's an update I never expected.

My 19-yr-old son started recording/publishing songs during the lockdown last year. In november 2020, he was offered a record deal. He signed it last month. He's got tiktoks with 300,000 views, he's made like $1000 off of SPOTIFY, with over 30,000 monthly listeners on there.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/22bvUzi8MgkpSKBWGB2vTJ

edit: in the space of 18 months, he's released maybe 3 albums/EPs.

I still haven't finished my album.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 29, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like you raised your kid well to me!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m actually wondering if this thread is appropriate for critiques and songwriting advice. I noticed that we have a lot of threads about specific instruments and one about music theory, but no discussions or resources on:

- Production and Workflow
- Mixing
- Composition
- Instrumentation (i.e. what to use)
- Learning and Growing

It’s one thing to share what you have and talk about what new gear you bought, but the biggest thing a community can bring to the table is a bazaar of ideas and knowledge transfer. I know that I’ve really ramped up on the technical details of my synths during my time here, but once things get abstract or (for lack of a better term) creative there’s less options.

Maybe this could be that place? If it isn’t, I could start a thread, too!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think it's fine, but there's a legendary thread stickied:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2292898

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007
I finished my album! This was a big project!

https://overnightmike.bandcamp.com/releases

My next recording goal is 2 "single & B-side" releases over the next 18 months to refine and expand on the sound I have going here.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
Haven't written or released anything in about a year and a half, but I think I'm ready to come back. I have about 3 songs ready right now, just want a couple more for the TORTUGAMERA EP.

Here's one of the last two songs I released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4PmMX85jX8

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I put together a small noise release:
https://empradio.bandcamp.com/album/assorted-drones

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I finished my album last month and just released it. It’s slowly making its way through Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon and the like. I’ve started selling CDs and vinyl as well.

In the “real world” most of my work is band and orchestra related, but I’ve always wanted to do a rock album. As a kid I always thought the ultimate would be having my music on a record. 8 year old me would think I’m a bad rear end.

I play everything and song all the parts. Unsurprisingly there are quite a few horn parts. If I had to say what it sounds like, maybe a cross between Barenaked Ladies, Panic at the Disco, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and Phish.

If you are interested, check it out here:
https://www.burningvalhalla.com

The whole thing is available to stream through Bandcamp.

Equinsu Ocha
Sep 14, 2012

nice hat
my first single! https://open.spotify.com/album/3oK5PzP9Cyv5GCqoXlRnbe?si=zkkKOm7DTH6S1tfG14cK4w

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I'm so close to finishing the album I've been working on for over a year now, but I'm stuck on some lyrics. One song I have a few fragments, another I'm lost on, and another I'm struggling with one line. I feel like I'm just in a different headspace than I was when I was writing everything else, and I struggle with lyrics anyway. I've tried stream of consciousness, reworking, singing whatever, taking a break... I think part of it now is the pressure I'm putting on myself to finish them because everything else is done. Any advice?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

It's OK to abandon things that aren't working and write new stuff. I find getting a whole song finished in one go keeps me in the same headspace better than coming back to it later.

It's also good to revisit things later that you were once stuck on after giving yourself time to get unstuck.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

^^^ Truth. In my day job, I write music for band and orchestra. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve written 4-8 bars of something and set it aside. More often than not, nothing comes of it. Sometimes, it’s the perfect thing for this other project. I’ve had poo poo sit for 4 or 5 years before I found the right place. Hell, one thing sat for almost a decade before anything came of it.

All that said, you can always edit or revise something lovely. You can’t do anything with an empty file. Something is better than nothing, even if its ultimately nothing. Sometimes it only exists to get you to your next destination.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

That relates to another good point: write drunk, edit sober. Or in other words, don't let your internal critic kick in too early. Get a bunch of ideas out, then decide whether they're any good.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

for fucks sake posted:

That relates to another good point: write drunk, edit sober. Or in other words, don't let your internal critic kick in too early. Get a bunch of ideas out, then decide whether they're any good.

I think is what I came here to hear, thanks.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
i'm currently trying to put together an album of songs i've written over the last couple years (dating back to freshman year of high school, i'm now a sophomore in college). workshopping title is 'changes in motion' to yknow, symbolize how my musical style has changed from point a to point b. all of my music is lyrical stuff composed with my ukulele as the main instrument :) i'm taking music theory this semester so i'm hoping i'll be able to apply the skills i'm learning to my new music and try to improve my old music. overall it's going pretty good!

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I've been working on my next album since June and I've only just started writing music that fits the vibe I've had in my head the whole time.

:unsmith:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joined a sort of a post punk band here in nyc and we're waiting for our poo poo to post on various social media stuff soon (they won't exactly tell us if it'll happen by our deadline of Oct 7th). Two singles, one of which I really like.

Been part of a few different albums recorded by professionals and stuff. Usually sinks like a stone
Hope this is different.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Shageletic posted:

Joined a sort of a post punk band here in nyc and we're waiting for our poo poo to post on various social media stuff soon (they won't exactly tell us if it'll happen by our deadline of Oct 7th). Two singles, one of which I really like.

Been part of a few different albums recorded by professionals and stuff. Usually sinks like a stone
Hope this is different.

Cool cool keep us updated! I was browsing nyc musicians craigslist last week and felt like I saw a good amount of post punk posts

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ProperCoochie posted:

Cool cool keep us updated! I was browsing nyc musicians craigslist last week and felt like I saw a good amount of post punk posts

It's been 20 yrs since the last post punk era so you got kids in their 20s really into it (like the rest of my band) and people like me edging close to 40 who loved it the last time

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Nice! What kind of post punk, 2000's pop rock, proto-goth like Echo or Souxie Soux, or disco on the bottom and anything but on top like Gang of Four and Au Pairs?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

Nice! What kind of post punk, 2000's pop rock, proto-goth like Echo or Souxie Soux, or disco on the bottom and anything but on top like Gang of Four and Au Pairs?

I was in a funk band before this and a friend of mine called it minimalist funk lol. We'll see. The singer is now in a country/blues phase goddamit

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

In August I did a bunch of livestreams over Twitch improvising ambient stuff, last week I sifted thru the 10 hours I had recorded and grabbed my favorite bits for a possible album. Listening back to the 2.5 hours to widdle it down to a 45-60 min release that *hopefully* should be out by early October.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Released my first album this summer (check it out at https://www.burningvalhalla.com to stream etc) and have since gotten the itch to get moving on another. Have short demos and fragments of four songs. Where I did everything myself the first time, I’m reaching out and getting my friends involved this time. Will be interesting to see how the project changes when it’s collaborative. The big one is having some people who are substantially better singers than I am.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So they posted the single on Spotify. Some growing pains, we needed to do a better job of adapting the production to Spotify's compression so it doesn't pop as much as it does in other places and and even woth other bands on there, but you know its a first effort for the band

https://open.spotify.com/track/2m0Q87ojs5feWVz7p1pxfT?si=h39Zw_mUT5mXLMTMVcxACQ&utm_source=copy-link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Dropped that ambient album I mentioned a little while ago - https://paintedrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-coldest-summer-of-the-rest-of-your-life-2