Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I just finished recording this psychedelic electronic/acoustic album, I'd definitely be interested in hearing opinions. The other producer and myself tried a lot of different recording/mixing techniques, lots of analog gear.

I'm currently working on another album that is entirely instrumental and more electronic/synth based. It's fun to make something that's entirely different than anything you've made before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

LargeHadron posted:

I listened to the whole thing, which means I did better than like 99% of the people who liked it and offered a quick "congrats!" when you posted it on Facebook. Sorry, am I projecting a bit? It's a solid album. I like the general sound of the music as well as the production quality. Onto critiques...

Seriously wondering who this is from my tiny facebook world...

Yeah, I hear that, tracklisting had a lot of thought go into it, but ultimately you're right, the album doesn't have one "sound" you can point to, but was a little bit of the point of it (the name "Seams," the cover...). I'd like to think you could go as far as to put it on shuffle and listen to it differently each time. There's also a lot of subject matter about splits in reality, jumps in subject matter, very stretched metaphors, sounds that stick out, polyrhythms, etc, but I can see how that is not an obvious intention.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

LargeHadron posted:

We aren't friends on Facebook, as far as I know. I was describing an experience I've had many times, and one which I assumed was universal. You put months of hard work into something, and even your friends and family can't be arsed to click on it. Making art is rough on the ego sometimes.

I hear what you're saying about all of thought that went into your album. That's great that you have a clear artistic vision - my reaction was from the point of view of someone who threw it on while working rather than someone who was giving it the attention it deserves. It sounds like there's a lot more to be experienced upon further listens and I think that's a sign it might be a great album. I'm going to leave one more thought though, which is just something to think about and not necessarily something that even applies here. I had a teacher tell me once that I should be as obvious as I can be, because I'll never be as obvious as I think I'm being.

Are you a fan of John Zorn?

Oh ok, I keep a very minimal FB presence so I was confused, but intrigued that I had a secret goon friend :unsmith:

Your teacher's advice is great advice, which I'll be keeping in mind. And I haven't really listened to John Zorn, but I'll check him out. Where's a good place to start?

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I have just recently finished another album, much different than any I've ever done as it's entirely instrumental (except for some recordings of people speaking, but nothing sung). It's also all electronic, and even things that were recorded live were then heavily processed/resampled/etc. Right when I was finishing, I thought it needed a visual component, so I made a video collage for the entire thing over the past month or so using clips from archive.org

I don't have the whole thing up on Youtube yet, I'm trying to organize a viewing party in NYC later this month or next, but I have a preview here and one full track here.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I don't know if this is too weird/unstable sounding to post here, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experience:

Whenever I'm working on an album and getting past what seems like 2/3rds of the tracking, I start getting this pervasive thought that something is going to happen to prevent me from finishing it. Usually that means dying in some random/freak way, but it could just be whatever circumstances that would prevent me from finishing it.

Yeah yeah I know, it's anxiety, talk to a therapist, but anyone else here have that specific type of anxiety? I know at least one pro musician who told me they also have this specific anxiety (they were the one who brought it up), so I'm guessing there are others? I wish my anxiety was that it would be bad or no one would like it, but my mind instead goes to getting hit by a truck.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I'm so close to finishing the album I've been working on for over a year now, but I'm stuck on some lyrics. One song I have a few fragments, another I'm lost on, and another I'm struggling with one line. I feel like I'm just in a different headspace than I was when I was writing everything else, and I struggle with lyrics anyway. I've tried stream of consciousness, reworking, singing whatever, taking a break... I think part of it now is the pressure I'm putting on myself to finish them because everything else is done. Any advice?

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

for fucks sake posted:

That relates to another good point: write drunk, edit sober. Or in other words, don't let your internal critic kick in too early. Get a bunch of ideas out, then decide whether they're any good.

I think is what I came here to hear, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I know this is an in the works oriented thread, but I finally finished and posted my album. Took way too long and have that post-album being hard on it mindset going, but I will say I learned more making this than anything I've ever done. Indie rock folk prog psychedelic, definitely a downer record.
"Light Headed" by Not