Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
ICC Thread

Three generations of heroes have existed before you. Three generations of paragons of virtue who protected Halcyon City from crime, both mundane and super.

The first, the Gold Generation, were simple people. Their powers were not grand and their enemies down to Earth, but their virtues were simple and sharp. Good was good, bad was bad. On the surface. The desire to paint everything in idealized paint is strong and respect is owed for the foundation they set, but the heroes of the era were no more immune to prejudice than anyone else. Women and minority heroes were often ignored, mocked, or ridiculed. Any Gold generation heroes and villains still running around are rather advanced in age and likely seeking to regain former glory.

The second, the Silver Generation, were giants. The Gold Generation rarely dealt with threats greater than heists or gangs, but the Silver Generation routinely dealt with universe-wide threatening conflicts. To match it, their powers were great and mighty. While they initially dealt with more earthly affairs and even championed social issues, their attention turned to the skies above and they left the more pressing concerns of the average person to the back of their thoughts. They are still very much around, but nearing the end of their time. Many seek successor, but just as many have trouble giving up their control.

The third, the Bronze Generation, were victims. A death sparked the bronze generation: a supervillain learned of their arch-nemesis' identity and attack their loved ones, resulting in their death. The ripples this sent throughout the superhero community sparked introspection and disillusionment. The Silver Generation were so focused on grand gestures that they never bothered to solve any real problems. The world was full of strife, but they played their games in the sky. Not only that, but they left no room to grow. The Silver Generation held onto their positions with iron fists and left nothing for their next generation. The Bronze Generation took many new directions to heroing -- murderous vigilantes, politicians, secret agents -- and even questioned the concept of superheroes. They are still very much around.

And, now, begins the fourth generation, the Modern Generation. What will they be? They lack a name yet. "Modern" is just a placeholder, afterall. So little is known. Some have made a splash as celebrity heroes. Others have followed in the footsteps of older heroes, but nothing has yet defined them. All that can be said is that they possess both greater hope and greater skepticism than those who came before them: a desire to do good mixed with the reality of the failures of those who came before. They are just now coming around.

The Modern Generation is you!

--

This is a play-by-post game of Masks done on the Somethingawful forums. Players will be expected to post at least once a day and to abide by the rules of the game. We will use orokos for dice rolls. Please link your orokos results to your dice results. Please do not re-roll to try to get a "desired" result.

Any playbook from core or the Halcyon City Herald is acceptable.
Core Playbooks.
Halcyon City Herald Playbooks.

I am going to ask people to NOT make characters yet. As PbtA only has "one character to one playbook" it is simply easier to make characters after I've picked people to join the game.

Instead, tell me what you like about Masks, teenage superheroes, and powered by the apocalpyse. Also, tell me what you'd like to see in this game and why you want to play it. Please keep the response to a couple of sentences.

Afterwards, I'll recruit 4-6 people to play.

Recruitment will end 9/27/17 at 11:59:59PM EST

The deadline is extended to 10/4/2017 at 11:59 PM EST.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
What you like about Masks

This answer bleeds into why I like powered by the Apocalypse games as well. Typically, these games are heavily fictional and less mechanical. I used to be a huge Mutants and Masterminds nerd, but then I played Masks and it was all over. The ability to do super heroic actions and not be limited by technicalities (You don't have enough strength to jump over 20 stories, so forget about catching the helicopter that is 20 and a half stories above you...).

I can make characters and for the most part, that character is who I made them. No complex math needed to ensure that I can have the character I want.

Further more, stories can get quite dynamic and unpredictable, and those twists and turns are determine by my actions and not by dice or because I chose to have 20 strength instead of Agility.

I loved Teen Titans and Young Justice cartoons. I've also read Runaways, Young Avengers, Avenger's Academy and Avengers: Initiative. The drama of growing from what you think being a hero is into actually becoming one is a solid theme that is not only entertaining to read, but is something Masks encompasses very well.

What I would like in this game is pretty much what we would see in the cartoon series I mentioned. Action and serious Drama with light, fuzzy moments when the time calls for it. Romance (both tragic and real), friendship and betrayal, coming of age, rivalries, you know, pretty much what you would see in a typical teen angst super team comic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Masks: Simply put, Masks understands its subject matter. It understands how to weld the genres of adolescent drama and superheroes, and I think it's approachable to people who aren't hip-deep into one particular series.

Teen Supers: I enjoyed Young Justice, I've watched Flash and Arrow on the CW. I've never read some of the "classics" of the subgenre like Runaways, but I have read a lot of Bat-Family and Flash and some Legion comics where legacy, maturity, and relationships between the young and old were big themes. I also loved the 2010 Avengers Academy series and I was pissed when it got crumpled up into a ball and fed to yet another lovely crossover. C'est la Big Two.

PbtA: PbtA is basically the perfect system for a game run in the format of a television drama where the characters are part of a team, but have their own thing going on, and their attitudes toward each other inform whether or not they can meet their goals individually or as a group.

What to Do: A major thing I'd like is to not just use crime-fighting and supervillain fighting as a springboard for character moments, but to have the PCs' character development reflected in the City. Superheroes are exciting because they're individuals with the power to change the world, so whether they embrace the role of outcasts, paragons, or bogeymen should determine what kind of world they're creating and how people see them. (Okay, yes, I'm gunning pretty hard to play a Legacy, I admit it.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hey, I see that there's only two of us apped so far, but there were three superhero recruit threads posted in rapid succession. If you extend the deadline a bit, there can be some spillover from the other Masks thread and the Marvel Heroic thread.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 24, 2017

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
I'm always interested in games with nonstandard app processes without setting gimmicks, but I have some other games taking priority. I'll try to hit the established deadline though.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, I see that there's only two of us apped so far, but there were three superhero recruit threads posted in rapid succession. If you extend the deadline a bit, there can be some spillover from the other Masks thread and the Marvel Heroic thread.

Alright, sure.

The deadline is extended to 10/4/2017 at 11:59 PM EST.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
I like Masks and games that involve teenagers in general as a way to explore characters that are going through transition - especially because you never know where they are going to end up. My favorite Masks app so far was a Reformed that found herself romantically involved in an alien princess, all while trying to hide the horrible atrocities she'd done from the whole team.

animedragonfly
Sep 12, 2016

Zoro posted:

tell me what you like about Masks, teenage superheroes, and powered by the apocalpyse. Also, tell me what you'd like to see in this game and why you want to play it.

I spent most of my teenage and young adult life reading comics like X-Men and Teen Titans and more recently Boka no Hero so i really enjoy the dynamic of teen supers with their drama and discoveries. I enjoy Masks because it gives me the chance to explore those dynamics in an active way. I am still fairly new with Masks (only played it once and that game didnt last long) but the systems and the personas are interesting and fun

As for what i would like to see.. Drama.. Action.. Romance.. awkward romance.. and the most important thing is that everyone is having fun doing it

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Oh poo poo, it's already 10 / 5. That totally flew by me. Well, let me review everything and I'll say who got in

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Alright, here is who is in the game:
  • SKINer
  • Halloween Jack
  • Frgrbrgr
  • animedragonfly

The new step is simple: let's all make characters, y'all!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ooh, gonna do a Legacy or a Protege, can't decide which fits the concept best.

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
I'm thinking of a protégé or a janus.

Protégé concept is basically a streetwise and street tough teenager being raised by a family friendly role model (think of the mentor being "Adam West" Batman trying to raise Jason todd).

Janus is traditional. Civilian life she is popular , but powerless, as a hero she save lives but us nor so popular since she also fights against coruption in the government (think zorro).

Which seems more appealing to the rest of yoy?

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

quote:

Hero Name: Spectra
Playbook: The Bull
Look: Woman, Latina, wrapped hands, athletic clothing, simple costume
Abilities: Someone or something changed you, made you into a perfect weapon:
  • Superhumanly tough - When Spectra's hair turns blue, she can withstand incredible blows and defend against almost any attack.
  • Incredibly strong - When Spectra's hair turns red, she can perform incredible feats of strength and beat almost anyone into submission.
  • Uniquely skilled at fighting - When Spectra's hair turns yellow, she can wield almost any weapon with supreme expertise, and improvise her own weapons as well.
  • When her hair starts to combine the above colors - Watch out!

Labels
Danger +2
Freak +2
Savior +-1
Superior +1
Mundane -1

Moves

In a china shop
When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Thick and thin skinned
Whenever you have Angry marked, take +1 ongoing to unleash your powers.

The Bull's Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.
  • Love: Frog-girl
  • Rival: Miss Midnight

Defender
When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

Moment of Truth
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Backstory

When our team first came together...
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships
Frog-girl is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

Miss Midnight is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence
You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

I guess you could say I was a bully, growing up. Encabrona, they called me en mi barrio vieja. poo poo... good times. But still - doesn't make you any friends. Worse, puts you in with the wrong crowd. "You're going to Halcyon," my parents told me. Packed me up, shipped me out. Boarding school. poo poo.

Still, it wasn't long before I was back with the bad types. Local street gang, by the name of Fuegos Grandes. Mostly small time, but rumor was the leader was some sort of super villain. I didn't really care, just wanted to get off campus every so often and do... something. I've always loved running - and when people're chasing you - poo poo, it's the best! Still, got the attention of some loving sub-lieutenant who wanted to make a name for hisself. Drugged me one night, took me to the Fuegos' headquarters. And... Enfuego.

quote:

Who changed you?

Enfuego

Sadistic cabron, this guy right here. Enfuego, true to his name, is on fire 24/7. Drove the fucker mad - half the time, he's just cackling with laughter. Other half, though, he's running the Fuegos, sending 'em out on missions, doing his dirty work. Mostly small-time stuff but... well, what people don't know is, he experiments on people. Messes with their DNA - searching for a cure to his own hosed up life, is my guess. So he orders his people to grab anybody that nobody will miss - and one of the Fuegos, knowing I was in boarding school, figured it wasn't a stretch to just say I ran away. Only, it was to Enfuego that he took me. And...

quote:

How did you escape from them?

... sorry I don't really want to talk about it. Lots of pain - nothing good. Whatever he did, whatever chemicals he used - it didn't work, just messed with my nervous system or something. Before he really knew what he did, Enfuego cast me out like garbage, his test didn't work. Left me by the side of the road to die, just outside of town. Lucky, some kids found me, called an ambulance. Hospital brought me back, numbed the pain. But it's still there - even now, sometimes when I think about it. Feels like... like every nerve is on fire.

quote:

Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

They discharged me soon enough - but I... I knew I couldn't go back. Not to school, not home... So I just... wandered for a bit. Eventually ended up in a youth home, Sunrise House, over on 15th St. Run by a nun, Sister Paula. She... she treats me nice. Makes sure I get food. Talks me through the pain. And... she's the first one that saw that I was... different. A few months after the incident... she was there when I jumped straight up on the roof the first time. And again, when I smashed a baseball over St. Henry's Cathedral. And again when I stopped that dumpster from hitting little Kyle. She says it's a gift from God - but I know better. It's Enfuego's work. Slow acting, maybe - or an unintended side effect.

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?

So, once I felt better, felt whole again, I listened to Sister Paula's advice. Use my powers... to help people. Right the wrongs of my past, eh? Stop the Fuegos. Stop Enfuego. Justice. It has a nice ring to it. And... well - I've found something else I like, more than running. More than running from the cops.

It's chasing people. Bad guys. Catching them. Beating them. Justice. Not bad, eh?

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

Haha - they're a little silly sometimes, or taking things too serious. Froggy, I like, she's a bit goofy. Crimson is all flashy, sometimes tries a little too hard. Midnight - eh, she's all business. But we work together, get the job done. Trust. That's what it's all about.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 13, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SKINer posted:

I'm thinking of a protégé or a janus.

Which seems more appealing to the rest of yoy?
I was attracted to the Protege because of the really interesting dynamic with the mentor, where they reject one quality in favour of another and push you in that direction, so it might hinge on how much you want to engage with that. Though it's really cool, it's why I'm strongly leaning toward Legacy instead, because my character concept is carrying on the legacy of a mentor who quit. So, like, follow your heart on this one.

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017

quote:

THE JANUS
HERO NAME: Frog Girl
REAL NAME Sidney Simpkins

Look
• woman
• Asian
• boring clothing
• flashy costume
• character mask,

Abilities
Your appearance is unchanged by your abilities, and you can keep your
powers hidden. You have heightened physical abilities (strength, agility,
toughness), and choose two unique abilities:

❑ supernatural senses- Can detect motion, enhanced hearing and vision,
❑ impossible mobility- Can wall crawl and leap incredible distances. Ambidextrous in both hands and feet.

Special note: Tongue can stretch out great distances and can stick to surfaces. Her tongue is super tough, being able to resist getting cut. Also, like a lizard, she has a high skin regeneration rate, able to heal cuts and bruises quickly. Whether or not she can regenerate lost limbs has yet to be determined.

Labels
Danger +1
Freak 0 (+1 added here)
Savior 0
Superior 0
Mundane +3

Moves

The Mask
You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask:

❑ Freak

Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label. When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential.

Game face
When you commit yourself to save someone or defeat a terrible enemy, mark a condition and take +1 ongoing to all rolls in direct pursuit of that goal. At the end of any scene in which you don’t make progress towards that goal, mark a condition. When you fulfill your goal, mark potential.

Mild-mannered
When you try to use your civilian identity to deceive, trick, or slip past someone, roll + Mundane. On a hit they buy your facade.

On a 7-9, choose one:
- you’re still under observation
- you leave something incriminating behind
- you’re forced to make a fool of yourself to sell it

On a miss, one of your civilian obligations rears its ugly head.

Secret Identity
Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of three obligations.

Jobs: Intern
School: Photography club
Home: Household chores

When time passes, roll + your Mundane to see how you’re managing your obligations. On a hit, things are going pretty well—you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations.

On a 7-9, you’ve lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven’t given your normal life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are going to bite you in the butt

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down.

Moment of Truth
The mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the drat day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching…

Backstory

We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Relationships
Spectra knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell Miss Midnight your secret identity when they asked.

Influence
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of
them Influence over you.

Spectra, Miss Midnight

quote:

• When did you first put on the mask? Why?

It was when I was twelve. I put on a silly novelty mask and Halloween costume, and then proceeded to leap into a burning building to save several trapped people. Been Frog Girl ever since.

quote:

• Why do you keep a secret identity?

Well... I pissed off the wrong people.

The Mayor of Halcyon is crooked. He backed the science contractors who were the rivals of my Father's research group. My father's study into lizard DNA to cure diseases was sabotaged by them (which lead to me gaining my powers). They are kindof after me because of the fear that I can bring them down.

If they knew who I am, they could get at me through my parents. Or worse. This is, of course, on top of the normal reason why a Superhero wears a mask.

quote:

• Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?

My father's aide, Dr. Victoria Williams, knows who I am through simple deduction: she knew I was at the center of the explosion and yet survived it. Then, weeks later, she learns that a new hero leaped several feet in the air, lashes out with her tongue and had quick healing? Two plus two equals four.

quote:

• Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?

The Mayor of Halcyon. He managed to turn the Halcyon Times (where I'm currently an intern) against me. Be cause of this, half the city considers me a bit of a menace.

This guy is crooked and I discovered that he is also quite protected. I foolishly tried to take him down head on, but that didn't go so well.

quote:

• Why do you care about the team?

Like minded individuals, for the most part. Roughly the same age, same ambitions, and as I've learned the hard way, it's tough being a hero alone.

SKINer fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 20, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'll post my Legacy in the morning; I just spent way too much time looking for a decent picture!

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Halloween Jack posted:

I'll post my Legacy in the morning; I just spent way too much time looking for a decent picture!

I know dat feeling.

animedragonfly
Sep 12, 2016
Crimson Demon

quote:

The Beacon
HERO NAME: Crimson Demon

Look:
• Man
• Asian
• Casual Clothing
• Stylish Costume

Abilities:
If you have powers, they're pretty minor, not noticeable. If you have skills, you carry the necessary equipment. Choose 2
□ Swords
□ Camouflage and stealth

Labels:
Freak -1
Danger 0
Savior +2
Superior 0
Mundane +2

Moves

□ Straight. Up. Creepin'.: When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask 2. On a 7-9, ask 1.
- What happened here recently?- What is being concealed here?
- Who or what here is not what they seem?
- Whose place is this?
- What's my best way in/out?

On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot.

□ No powers and not nearly enough training: You're always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if this line is empty.

Treat the new piece of gear as if it were any other ability. When you use the gear in a novel and risky way, mark a box to roll + Mundane instead of + Freak to unleash powers with it. When you mark the third box, the gear is used up, lost, or recovered from you in the process

Drives

Choose 4 drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take influence over someone involved. When your 4 marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark 4 new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon.

□ Lead the team successfully in battle
□ Punch someone you probably shouldn't
□ Save a teammate's life
□ Tell someone your true feelings for them

Team moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they're awesome and add 1 Team to the pool. If they tell you how you're awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift 1 Label up and 1 Label down, your choice.

Moment of Truth

This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that's you. You burn bright and you burn hot, and their jaws are gonna drop when you're done. Of course, folks are gonna expect a lot more from you from this point out...

Relationships

Frog Girl is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.

You've got to prove yourself to Spectra before you feel like a real hero

Influence

You are so excited to be here. Give influence over you to three of your teammates. (aka all of them)

quote:

When did you first put on your costume?
I suppose i dont really see it as a costume per say.. its more a the outfit is as much a tool as the swords i carry and a personification of what it is to be a ninja .. at least from my village.. but as for when i put it on.. we started training at six to learn our crafts.. thats when i first put on a version of what i am wearing now

quote:

How did you gain your skills?

My village cut its self off from the outside world several generations ago.. something about the modern society clashing with our way of life .. i dont know .. but i can see how a village that forces all its male members to undergo such almost cruel training sometimes can be a bit suspect. We started early about six learning to balance hide and climb things and learning how to hold a sword or throw knives.. by twelve you are expected to go on jobs with adults as support to get you used to what we do .. and by sixteen you are considered a full fledged member of the village and get sent on solo assignments

quote:

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn't be a superhero?
I live with my aunt Rika she owns a French styled cafe and pastry shop and we love in an apartment above it.. she hates that i still practice what the elders taught .. she thinks i should settle down and live a mundane life as a waiter for her and not try to be a super hero.

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?
I feel that i have these talents that i can put to use for the greater good.. the elders didnt care who or what the jobs were as long as the person was willing to pay the fee for our services.. I believe that protecting the innocent and helping those that can not help themselves should be the greatest goal..a dn i will do my best to try and make up for the mistakes i have made and my village has made in the past

quote:

They seem like a good group of girls.. where i am from the women didnt fight at all.. so it was a bit of getting used to and fighting that urge to constantly want to protect them even tho i know most likely Spectra could kick my rear end in a fist fight..

animedragonfly fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 10, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

quote:

The Legacy

Hero Name: Miss Midnight
Look: woman, white, comfortable clothing, modern costume, simple crescent moon insignia
Abilities: athletic perfection, Holmesian deduction, gadgetry

Labels
Danger -1
Freak 0
Savior +2
Superior +1
Mundane +1

Moves

Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll +Savior instead of +Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a
condition.

- you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
- you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
- you keep your attacker’s attention On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Legacy

Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City.

My great-great-uncle, Mr. Midnight, is still active and prominent in the city.
My father, The Midnight Man, is retired and quite judgmental.
Janus is the greatest opponent my family ever faced...and is still at large.

Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?

On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

You wouldn't understand. Everyone has their own reason for doing this, but mine runs through my veins. The Sable family lineage expresses a certain mutation--I dislike using this word because of the common related assumptions--involving a particular combination of genetic traits. A much-reduced need for sleep and, particularly at night, increased adrenaline response (leading to sensation-seeking personality traits), increased mental acuity, increased reflexes and reaction time..."nocturnal predators," as my father put it.

Major crime investigation outside the structure of a law enforcement division--that is, vigilantism--is our natural occupation. My family has been fighting super-criminals in this city since The Midnight Rider chased The Crooked Man here during the Civil War. What you've heard is true. My brother is dead. My father is retired. It doesn't make a difference--I am who I am.

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
Updated Frog-Girl.

Any takers for her Relationships?

As for influence, I'm thinking Miss Midnight since she is a Legacy, and thus her reputation would definitely invite heroine worship. Still space for one more person to have influence over Frog-Girl.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

SKINer posted:

Updated Frog-Girl.

Any takers for her Relationships?

As for influence, I'm thinking Miss Midnight since she is a Legacy, and thus her reputation would definitely invite heroine worship. Still space for one more person to have influence over Frog-Girl.

I'd imagine Spectra fits the mold as having heroing figured out - just punch things til they stop hurting other people.

As far as mine...

quote:

Frog-girl is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

Backstory done now, should give a sense of the character. Spectra comes on strong. Probably gets awkward.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 9, 2017

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017

Frgrbrgr posted:

I'd imagine Spectra fits the mold as having heroing figured out - just punch things til they stop hurting other people.

As far as mine...

Backstory done now, should give a sense of the character. Spectra comes on strong. Probably gets awkward.

I may have Syd be a bit shy to balance things out. She is coming off as more of the cliche Janus, but that should be cool for the game. :)

Yeah, looks like Midnight and Spectra gets the influence.

quote:

Relationships (Tentative, as I want to see Crimson Demon's backstory before finalizing)
Spectra knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell Midnight your secret identity when they asked.

Any ideas why Frog-girl is Spectra's love? Friends? Crush? I ask because perhaps Spectra knew Frog-Girl when she was just Sidney. Same boarding school, perhaps? It seems to make most sense narrative wise, barring Crimson Demon's backstory.

As for refusing to tell someone her identity, that may have to go to Midnight. I could imagine an investigation in the past that involved Frog-Girl and Midnight wanted to know who she is for the good of the investigation (perhaps to establish an alibi or something), and because Frog-girl is a bit over sensitive about her secret identity, she flat out said no.

Sounds good?

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

SKINer posted:

Any ideas why Frog-girl is Spectra's love? Friends? Crush? I ask because perhaps Spectra knew Frog-Girl when she was just Sidney. Same boarding school, perhaps? It seems to make most sense narrative wise, barring Crimson Demon's backstory.

I like that. Frog-girl is Spectra's love because of the shyness - at this point, it's friends but could blossom (we'll see how the game goes) - Something in Syd reminds Spectra of how... maybe how she should have been. Not being a bully. Part of Spectra feels bad because Syd is just like the people she used to pick on. Maybe Spectra did pick on Syd, at the boarding school, and regrets it now and tries to make it right by being friendly and helping whenever.

quote:

Definitely at some point, Spectra confided in Syd about the bad things - maybe as a way of trying to say she was sorry for bullying her at the school (which probably needs a name... Halcyon School for Girls?). So Frog-Girl knows about the Fuegos and what happened with Enfuego.

quote:

Open to ideas. Spectra is definitely combative and would respond poorly to being told what to do. Which I'm sure Midnight has no problem giving :p

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, I thought we were posting all the sheets before doing questions and filling out relationships. I'll add mine.

animedragonfly
Sep 12, 2016
Finished mine up

I was thinking Spectra to prove myself to

the other is completely open to who ever wants it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

quote:

Backstory

When did you officially become a part of your legacy?

My father's been training me for as long as I can remember, but I didn't get to go on patrol until I was 13. Abe was becoming his own man then. "Miss Midnight" was my 15th birthday present--along with the uniform. I got to burn down a warehouse full of guns.

What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?

Like I said, we've been fighting crime in this city since it was not so much a city as an intersection of muddy cattle trails. But I think everyone would agree that our greatest moment was stopping the Faces of Fear. When they held the entire city hostage, the Sable family and its agents came together to stop them. We took out the Faces one by one while my father found a way to amplify Brainwave's abilities, to stop the device that caused everyone's powers to go haywire.

How does the public perceive your legacy?

Can you trust someone that scares you a little? Today it's taken for granted that superheroes are celebrities, but we're not. We've never gone public and we never will. We don't give interviews. We don't walk the red carpet. We don't appear in perfume ads. Instead, some scumbag tries to rob a bank, or burn down a neighbourhood, or maybe he's on television threatening to conquer the world...and then he takes the Midnight Cruise. It's what the HCPD calls it when you go to the hospital on your way to jail.

How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?

It's more than the family business. A career in crimefighting can end badly--I know that better than anyone. But our attempts to have a career without a mask can end just as badly. Too much energy. Little tolerance for authority. Strange urges to run through the streets howling at the moon. That sort of thing.

Even if I thought I could quit, I wouldn't. I have to do this. I have to be better. My father raised me for this, and now he tells me it was for nothing? So, my life is for nothing? Abraham's life was for nothing? Screw that.

I'm not doing this for money. I'm not doing this for revenge. I'm not doing this to go viral on YouTube. Neither are they.

Frog-Girl started younger than I did, and if she wasn't built for it, she'd be dead. Spectra doesn't get to be ordinary, and I don't think she wants to. Crimson wasn't raised for this, but you don't make up for lost time the way he has if you're not dedicated.

We don't do this because superheroes are the new rock stars. We do this because it's in our nature. Because we are compelled.

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with Frog-Girl.

I went too far. We were investigating one of the Mayor's front businesses. He uses a laboratory supply company to smuggle reagents for illegal human experimentation. We snuck into a warehouse on the back of a late-night delivery truck and started busting heads.

After neutralizing secondary targets, I hung the "foreman" up by his ankles and started asking questions. I didn't get answers. Said he wasn't afraid of me. Suggested my father lost his nerve. Advised me to quit before I end up like my brother. Don't remember much after that. Frog-Girl distressed. Primary target unconscious. Lost time transporting him to hospital. Fact-finding mission was a failure.

You trust Spectra and told them an important secret of your legacy.

She went a little too far. We were engaged with some heroin dealers with ties to Enfuego--employing children as lookouts, sending the most vulnerable ones his way. She...took it personally.

As it turned out, one of the dealers was another one of Enfuego's experiments. Tough, but Spectra was hitting him so hard I had to pull her off before she crushed him into the sidewalk. She shrugged me off, of course, but I think she came to her senses when she heard me go through a window.

I should have wanted her to feel bad, but I didn't. I told her how dangerous it is to lose control that way, especially when it's personal. I told her the man who killed my brother isn't in hiding. He's a pile of ashes somewhere in Thailand. That's why my father quit.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 15, 2017

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Everyone sound off with I AM READY so I know we can do the backstory of the team dealio.

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
Some more thoughts:

Perhaps what frog girl and midnight did to shame her legacy might be connected to the mayor itself. The two nearly proved his corruption, but fell short when that last piece of criminal evidence was required . This in turn allowed the mayor to lower midnight 's reputation as well. Feel free to add something to that, Jack.

As for Crimson remaining relationship, I'll volenteer frog-girl, if for no other reason than to have a connection between them. So Crimson wants to hangout with frog girl more cause he thinks she's awesome.

So yeah...

I AM READY

animedragonfly
Sep 12, 2016

SKINer posted:

As for Crimson remaining relationship, I'll volenteer frog-girl, if for no other reason than to have a connection between them. So Crimson wants to hangout with frog girl more cause he thinks she's awesome.

Sounds good to me

then I am ready

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
I think all I need is the secret Midnight trusted Spectra with.

I AM READY

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
editing done

I AM READY

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
Are we doing the questions in order, Or do we post them ourselves?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Alright, let's do this:

“When Our Team First Came Together…”

Spectra: We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Frog Girl: We saved the life of someone important, either to the city, or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Miss Midnight: All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Crimson Demon: We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

SKINer posted:

Are we doing the questions in order, Or do we post them ourselves?

Yep, in order.

In the same post, assign your influence.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 12, 2017

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Zoro posted:

We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

"Our first time out? Yeah, I remember. Was supposed to be just a cruise around the city, get to know the sights and sounds, you know? But then - I mean, it was pretty cool to see but I kinda feel bad - this guy literally just smashed through a wall right next to us! So we're all just standing there and he's staring back at us. And I see him - big muscles, black outfit, dozens of henchmen behind him - and I just know... this dude is looking for a fight! So I took him on, you know, single-handed-like. Punch here, smash there, kick! Yeah! It was a lot of fun, even though I think my teammates were mostly dealing with the henchmen or maybe just keeping bystanders outta our way.

Anyways, I eventually beat him up - he tapped out after I smacked him with a sedan. Found out later his name was Blackjack and his henchmen were the Diamond Club."

quote:

Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Frog Girl & Miss Midnight

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
(I think I should do my part on this one last.)

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Halloween Jack posted:

(I think I should do my part on this one last.)

Crimson Demon is a beacon and beacons go last according to the Editor's sheet.

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017

Zoro posted:

Alright, let's do this:

Frog Girl: We saved the life of someone important, either to the city, or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

...riiight.

Okay, before I answer this question, I need to say something...

Spectra can get a bit... hot blooded. I mean, yeah, she told the truth about Blackjack... especially the Sedan part. She smacked him. Hard. But she also skipped some details. See, it wasn't all a big brawl... a chase was involved as well.

See, Blackjackass, or whatever his name was called, ran away from us. We were forced to run him down... and he was not a subtle escape artist. He specialized in running things, people, and places over. See, before we had to deal with his henchmen, Midnight, Crimson and yours truly had to deal with collateral damage.

So while we were saving lives, that jerk, Blackjack ran right through a local office where a tabloid was produced. This tabloid is pro-Meta, Known to put us heroes under bright, positive lights and when we saved the lives of several writers and reporters there, the Editor, Samuel Worthington, took a liking to us. So yeah, he is a pretty good source of info for us when we need to investigate something. He also assumed we were an established team...

Which reminds me, I really need to nag Midnight on what our name should be...

quote:

Influence
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of
them Influence over you.

Spectra, Miss Midnight

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Zoro posted:

Miss Midnight: All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

I hate chases. Rule number one is, control the situation. Difficult to do on the move.

The Diamond Club had a simple but clever strategy: because Blackjack can simply run through walls, they pull a smash and grab and Blackjack starts "tunneling" through surrounding city, with his minions following after. Police don't know to follow their movements in a straight line through the devastation. After a few blocks, they disperse.

Now, when you travel by swinging between skyscrapers, you see these things.

Spectra engaged Blackjack, drawing fire away from us and civilians. Sometimes simple move is the right one. Then started throwing cars around. We should discuss that. Blackjack smashed into office lobby. I threw smoke bomb to force him to turn back--didn't use on henchmen because they were armed. Never encourage a gunman to fire blindly toward civilians.

Crimson took position in broken doorway. Shouted for him to hold the line. He did. Never seen assault rifles cut in half before. For that matter--never saw someone disarm pistols with tongue. Frog-Girl very impressive. I took out sole gunman guarding exit door. Knocked him through it with my Nightstick to save time. Began evacuating staff.

Completed before Blackjack began using furniture as weapons. Once he realized his thugs weren't flanking for him, Blackjack began to panic. Spectra landed right hook. With a car.

Crimson contacted police on comms, only to be told they'd been called. That's when we saw the Super Sergeant. In uniform, but not on patrol. Unless the bag of groceries with an Italian loaf sticking out of the top is an undercover gimmick. I think he lives in the neighbourhood. Ninety-eight years old. Looks mid-50s. He's not exactly full-time, but still one of the Immortals. Still highly respected by the most powerful metas in the world. In 1974, when he defeated The Terrror, he was likely the most widely respected meta in the world. Storming the Fuhrerbunker will do that.

"Nice work. Very professional," he began. It is extremely gratifying to hear "that's how we did it in the war" from the man who defeated Der Totenkopf in hand-to-hand combat.

quote:

Influence

You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

animedragonfly
Sep 12, 2016

Zoro posted:

Alright, let's do this:

Crimson Demon: We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

It wasnt till the dust cleared and the cops came filtering the civilians out did we find out what they stole.. or were trying to steal. It was some sort of developmental tech to do some science stuff i didnt really understand ... some sort of power source.. maybe? But it was not something that could be dangerous on its own. It only took a bit of arm twisting on one of the henchmen to find out what they wanted it for. It seems the Diamond Club is putting together some kind of weapon and that there would be much more of these kind of incidents to come

quote:

Influence

You are so excited to be here. Give influence over you to three of your teammates. (aka all of them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Sorry guys, somehow this vanished from my mind. I'll start the thread tonight or tomorrow.

• Locked thread