Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I would say tell her you believe her and go to the scene of the crime before anyone can interfere with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We need our money, but we can afford some charity.

Give one franc and pass yourself off as police.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm pitching in with this bloc, since I have no idea.

I'm not reading any walkthroughs. I'm just going with my gut instinct.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Give her the good lawyer/bad lawyer treatment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not at all. No need to let the Baron think he has a reason to lie.

And keep quiet about the silverware.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Break that poo poo.

Also, how did the Baron know the time so exactly with a handless clock?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Very illegal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Take it. We should study it further.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Never.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, we've got absolutely no evidence on her.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Of course. The steak makes more sense than cannibalism.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is it wrong for me to wish for Sir Raven to be in this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qimBHg1Ch54

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, that clock ain't right and we shouldn't pry on payment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Well then...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He seemed off. How did he remember the names of everyone so clearly, even a lowly flower girl?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A witty saying proves nothing

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Impressive

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's subtle and nuanced, but in a sarcastic tone of voice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How about we offer to get his photos the recognition they deserve?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chocolate could give us a lead on exactly who purchased recently.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ask nicely about who bought the chocolate . We have no reason to believe that he's responsible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's go with Juan, Caterline, and Mousey.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, let's get that flower girl

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keep up the pressure. We have nothing but a chocolate wrapper at this point.

Also, she mentioned monkshood. That's quite poisonous...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Monkshood is also known as wolfsbane, and that flower girl said she had some. She knows more than she's letting on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Get mad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xarn posted:

Brute force didn't work last time, let us be polite this time.

On the other hand, this dude is an rear end in a top hat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I understand.

The flower girl had wolfsbane, which matches the description of poisoning we were given by the hunter in the bar. She was forced to kill the captain of the guard by someone else, and "Juan" took the fall out of love for her.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yes

We know practically nothing but what we're doing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It is strange, yes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yes, the chocolate!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh yeah, I forgot about the west entrance!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

Coercion and the Judge.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

Still better than Pinky, the Brain and Elmyra.

Also, pretty impressive how we managed to hold our own against Cockworth for a whole trial day with only a single piece of evidence. Eat it, Phoenix.

It looks like the whole trial was a setup to get rid of "Juan" after a botched murder of the king, though I have no idea why. I think they were relying on heavy circumstantial evidence and a bribed or coerced witness to sway the jury, which meant the whole thing fell apart as soon as we were able to show reasonable doubt.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

I don't recall anyone ever explicitly stating that the king was the target of the assassination attempt. Perhaps Howl was the intended victim all along?

Either way, whoever is actually responsible for all of this is disposing of a convenient scapegoat. And like in "Rise From the Ashes", they probably expect the defendant to go along with the charade to protect their own secrets.

It’s mentioned by the prosecution in the trial that Howl intercepted the flower. Obviously we have no way yet to prove that Howl was the target, but it’s always a possibility that they knew he would take the flower. I do find it curious that the flower girl is being telegraphed as responsible (she had wolfsbane) if Howl died from a candy bar.

Also, there’s the possibility that the king really was the target and the conspirators are trying to do damage control.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The chocolate is definitely the big problem though. It introduces reasonable doubt as to whether the flower was poisoned, but it also means the flower girl couldn’t have been trying to use a poisoned flower.

Unless....both possibilities are true?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A falcon never quits, you drat dirty apes!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

The fact that they're worried about us identifying their handwriting feels like a rather solid clue all on its own.

Who have we gotten handwriting samples from so far?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

No one that I can think of, but it's probably either someone whose writing we're going to see a lot of, or whose writing they'd reasonably expect him to possibly recognize.

...honestly, given that this is a not-Ace-Attorney game? It's almost certainly the prosecutor, in cahoots with the mob.

I'm actually not too sure on Cocorico. As haughty and annoyed as he was by us during the trial, he conceded that the witness testimony was unreliable after being presented with sufficient evidence. It came off like he didn't know the witnesses was faking in the first place. I don't think he's actually part of the conspiracy, just an rear end in a top hat who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and the case is a slam dunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zakrelo posted:

Agreed.

Also, I guess we should assume the people behind wanting the king dead and the wolves plotting revolution are one and the same, right? I suppose the reason they replaced the judge with one of their own was to ensure a speedy trial with the death penalty, so the accused won't get any chance to reveal the truth (although it seems like he wouldn't do it either way considering it would probably cause retaliation to the swan).

Like I said earlier, I think the big confusion is "Was the chocolate poison, the rose poison, or both?"

We introduced reasonable doubt into the jury by pointing out the chocolate wrapper and that it's possible that Major Howl could have eaten a poisoned chocolate bar, as well as proved the witness a liar. At the same time, the swan had wolfsbane (which matched the symptoms of poisoning, as described by the hunter in the tavern) and Renard Vulpes said that he intervened to take the fall for her. This would imply that the rose really was meant to be a delivery method for poison.

I'm wondering if it could have been two gambits colliding: the flower girl is blackmailed into poisoning the king, with Renard interfering to save her. But then someone else was trying to poison Howl with chocolate, and one or the other killed him.

• Locked thread