Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

// //

Name: Waesh
Skills: Piracy +40, Grappling +25, Romance +15
HP: 3/3
Glory: 4

Waesh sat and listened as other Unexpectables said their peace, argued with one another or did their own thing and let the politics roll on by. When it came to his turn, he stroked his moustache a moment before speaking.

"You know, before everyone else started speaking, I was considering agreeing to that proposal of yours, Queen. Not like anyone would bloody well believe me if I said 'the Queen is really multiple people with one mind!'. Not to mention, you've got your loyal Breakers and I've seen first hand the kind of power they have. Splut tried to stay loyal and stand up for the common Tö, and what did you say!? Oh, we'll only use a little Madmist! Only if we have to! Well to hell with that! No bloody way!"

"You're living in the shadow of the OGs, and they're gone! The only thing left to do with all the pieces that remain, all the 'pawns' in their game, is up to us! So cut me down! Blast this room with fire, send us to the Breakers, do what you've got to do! I'm not going to stand by while you count figures to get everything nicely lined up to some imaginary goal from idiots long since dead!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Name: Ringo!
HP: 4/4
Glory: 2>3
Skill: Lockpicking+15, Whistling+40(using), Surgery
Hotswap Skillcores: Accuracy, Pigilante Justice, Cross Stitching, Bee Keeping, Lifting +15, Firestarting+5, Kissing, Weaving +15, Avoiding Notice
Other: Rolls 10d100, may optionally reroll lowest. May either roll an additional 2d100, or grant a reroll to an Ally.
Medic Squad - Breaker's Eye

Ringo reached down and took Splut's hammer, never breaking eye contact with the Bluffer. He remembered helping cut down Pendelo back in Oxnyard. He was still fresh from the OG vault; newly reborn, and still flush with excitement over his own ascension. He hadn't even bothered to try and claim the prize for his own. What did he need with toys like this?

Except it wasn't a toy. It was something the whole horde had fought and died for. His own weapon, the Wendigoedendag, was specially crafted for him by his comrades. They'd all carried each other together. Even that liar, Splut. The hammer felt good in his hands; well balanced and meant for war. A Jaune Original. He could see why Splut prized it so highly. He planted the shaft of his spear into the floor of the Queen's Chamber, cracking the smooth surface. His shield was placed gently against it. It wouldn't do to disrespect a gift like this by taking half-measures. He took a deep breath, and let out a slow whistle of appreciation. He flipped the hammer lazily in his hands, as if whisking the air. In this moment, he felt nothing but gratitude for every single one of the Horde. Even Grimper, that fucker.

"You already have my answer, "Queen Reina," but I'll say it loud and clear. I'd rather die with my family, than let a tyrant like you rule one second longer."

Get the Crown, Strike her Down (Whistling): 12d100+2+3+5+40 480 [12d100=10, 18, 41, 7, 43, 29, 11, 30, 58, 75, 65, 43]
Pendelo Reroll (off of 7): 1d100 66
Reroll that 10: 1d100 37 +27
Total: 573

I have it on authority that Noggins is going to pass off Nailbreaker. It's been taken into account for this roll. Ringo is dropping off the Wendigoedendag and his shield to stay under the item limit. It's been a wild ride, y'all!

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 9, 2018

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Name: Verika (& Garnör)
HP: 1/1 (1/3)
Skills: Perception +65 (using), Smithing +80 (cooling), Sniping +30
Equipment: Knight's Plate (+3), Zahn Trapper Hat (+1), Ruddy Charger, Blixthäst (+5), Tap Root [Proof-Scraper] (+5), Defender Shield
Cosmetics: Nail and Fist Token (Breaker's Guard), Agenou's Cape Sash, Sikatris Scarf, Basker Cloak, Slightly-Cracked Telescope
Glory: 21 -> 22
Ritual Chits: 11 (artwork bonus)

Tömate (part 6): The Queen placed the chalky white bullet between her left thumb and forefinger and flicked it with unbelievable speed directly at Garnör, who'd been standing just behind Verika all this time. The missile sunk deep into his shoulder and took root, whereupon it immediately began to bloom with pale red flowers as Garnör screamed.

“Much better,” crooned Queen Dixi.

"Garnör, no!" Verika cried, her voice ringing out over the clamor of the Queen's private parlor. She shot the Queen a look of disgust, lowered her artifact weapon and rushed to Garnör's side. The Unexpectables encircled around the injured Tö parted for her, clearing a space around the hapless armorsmith who'd been struck with the Tap Root's deadly seed. Garnor was writhing on the floor, yelling wordlessly through gritted teeth.

"Garnör! Garnör - are you okay - shh, shh, it's okay! I'm here - It's gonna be okay. I'm so sorry - I had no idea what she was capable of! She's not like us - she's intöan!"

Verika fell onto her knees beside Garnör and grabbed hold of his hands. He squeezed her incredibly tight as she pulled him closer and held him in place, cradling his head in her lap. She pet his hair and stroked his face and looked into Garnörs red, panicked eyes. They were dilated from shock and fear and welling with tears from the pain. Verika had never seen someone she cared about look so much like wild game before the kill, like mindless prey before the slaughter. She'd never hated someone so much in that moment. She wanted to kill this pitifully weak thing in front of her, to end this creature's suffering and to put it out of its misery, just like she wanted to kill the Queen for making her feel this way about someone she'd cared about. The bloodbath would never need to cease, and it never would. The killings and conflicts and schisms and changes to [the game] would always continue, just as they always had...

Garnör's struggling snapped Verika out of her reverie.

"There there - hold on, Garnör, it's in there deep- " she stated flatly, concern barely tinging her voice, "the flower's got to grow for a minute or two before its safe to remove." Her gentle embrace from earlier had become more forceful, restraining Garnör from thrashing too fiercely. "Here. Bite onto this." She proffered the leather belt from her Tap Root's shoulder strap and he bit down onto it, hard.

Verika held Garnör down on the floor until the voracious Tap Root seed had drawn enough of Garnör's blood to fully bloom into vividly flushed crimson petals, whereupon she sliced the offending growth off at the base near its roots with her field knife.

"There!" She declared, relief plain in the way she spoke. "All clear! Leave the rest inside the shoulder until Gryph can see to you, okay Garnör?"

"Okay Verika!" Garnör confirmed, enthusiastically. Verika helped Garnör sit up. "Wait - don't go."

"I have to, Garnör." She was resolute.

"Don't leave me and get yourself killed," he blurted. "I love you!"

"I... can see. I can Perceive a thing or too, y'know. I have to go. Be safe."

Verika got to her feet and withdrew her weapon. She rounded on the Queen with it.

"You!" Verika spat. "Queen Dixi! Your Highness-es-"

"My father once told me, 'If you're going to shoot at the Queen, you'd better not miss!' I shot at the Queen. I didn't miss."

She lowered Tap Root. Pointing it at the ground. She continued, still brazen in the face of such powerful authority.

"You didn't answer any of my questions, Your Highness. I won't be disregarded! I am a Perceiver, (as you probably know) and I see several flaws in your big plan."

"First off, what is the meaning of winning [the game] if winning [the game] makes us all [Null]? Do you really think being [Null] is a good thing?"

"Do you know what non-existence is like, Queen? Have you lived for so long that you've forgotten what it's like to die - to have your life taken from you?"

"Why would you want to [Null]-ify the world in a year's time, anyway? Are you so bored of existence that you'd take us all with you?"

"Why should we want to get our absentee Overseers in trouble, anyway? Our very existence is contingent on them letting [the game] play out on its own, without them."

"You don't know everything that we know, oh Queen! For example, the Cure for Monsterism requires tissues taken from both Töan and Fröan Wendigos. A monoculture would mean no Cure! What do you say to that?"

"What's so different about this time around, anyway, that you feel like there will actually, truly, finally be an end to [the game] you've apparently been playing for so long?"

Verika peppered the immaculate Queen and her interlinked Handmaidens with critically Perceptive questions that would drive any sane immortal to the very brink of frustration!

Verika versus the Queen: Perceiving flaws and using them against her!: 2d100+91 182
Verika versus the Queen: Perceiving flaws and using them against her (reroll)!: 1d100+86+91 252

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Noggins
Skillcores: Carpentry +45, Precision +40, Leadership
Glory: 1->2

Noggins was going to retort--this absurd debate was the culmination of months of conflict between her and Splut, after all--when Verika let loose her bolt, and Garnör paid the price. This was about to become just another point in her argument, but she stopped herself. Sure, she didn't have a Perception core or the like, but that didn't mean she couldn't tell when things didn't add up. Garnör had been shot. Garnör. Of everyone in this room, he'd been the one the Queen had directed her stupid, petty cruelty at. Why him? Sure, it was a good attempt at shutting Verika up, andit was a good way to make opposing her seem like certain death, but... why hadn't it been her? She'd had more righteous fury than just about any else, and if that conversation earlier had had any truth to it, the Queen seemed to think Noggins held actual influence over the others. Certainly, after the display she'd put on, she'd... started bickering pointlessly with Splut...

Noggins' face was blank as she looked over at the Bluffer. He was looking right back, as impassive as ever. He couldn't be trusted. Everyone knew he couldn't be trusted. Sure, it wasn't like he was Marra, but for all he protested, his moral compass was almost as skewed as the Queen's. If he decided something as necessary, he would do it without hesitation or further consideration, no matter how monstrous. And he would do it all with a straight face and no remorse. All that he'd done, all that he'd sought to do, all the people he'd killed... and he didn't regret any of it. He was a liar. A skilled liar. There was no statement he could make, no action he could take, that she could trust.

And yet...

It was foolish of her. She knew that. It was, by every measure, a stupid, stupid thing to believe--Splut would probably tell her that himself. She couldn't trust Splut in anything. But Qwäg could. Could, and did. With everything. And if she, in all of the paranoia that had been burned into her, could find it in her to trust him with her heart...

"gently caress it. You're tired, Splut? Well so am I. So fine. We'll do it your way for once!" She threw her arm out in frustration, not coincidentally releasing her grip on Nailbreaker, which soared through the air directly towards Ringo. "Go ahead and bend the knee. I'm done trying to convince you otherwise. I hope whatever meaningless title you get out of this is worth it to you, because that's all you're getting out of it." With one last meaningful glance at her fellow captain, she turned and walked back into the mass of the assembled Horde, pausing a moment to place a hand on Portha's shoulder, static crackling onto her fingers as she leaned in to whisper.

"I don't know about that... thing you've got there, but... we're here to share the load. You don't have to take it alone." Noggins closed her eyes, clumsily focusing Breaker's Guard's protection onto the Rummager. Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't. But it didn't hurt to try.

And that was all there was to be said. With Nailbreaker out of her grip, she reached instead for another, more familiar weight at her belt. It wasn't an OG artifact. It wasn't a weapon. It wasn't some masterpiece of craftsmanship like Jaune's tools had been. It was just a claw hammer. At the end of the day, it wasn't anything more than a lump of iron, striking head polished by use, at the end of a sweat-stained length of solid oak. But it was hers. And after all, if a simple carpenter could be a glorious knight, who was to say a simple hammer couldn't put an end to all of this--and maybe save a man from an incredibly stupid decision while she was at it.

"UNEXPECTABLES!" she shouted. "THIS ONE'S FOR Ö!!!"

Smash the State!: 3d100+45+1 164

Attempting to tune Breaker's Guard to spread Portha's self-damage. Noggins is going to be working to keep the queen distracted, but is mostly going to be staying ready to smash that stupid crown the instant it becomes clear that Splut's bitten off more than he can chew trying to use that thing.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Sucy
Glory: 0 -> 1
Skills: Mushrooms +40
Kicking +50
Science +60
Aspiring Nailsmith: Every Downtime, Sucy can roll 1d10 and spend the result in any combination to reduce the cost of the Ritual(s) of her choice.
Breaker’s Hands: Once per conflict, each individual Sieger can make an additional roll towards building fortifications or other sieging gear tailored towards the conflict. Additionally, double the bonus on consumables used for violent combat use.

Force a reset of the different components of the Crown, thus separating them: 2d100+60 206

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
COSMETIC ITEMS:
Name: Snorkus Peter Porker, Mild-Mannered Reporter
Skills: Pigilante Justice+30 (using), Gazing+10, Rolling+30 (cooldown)
Item Cooldowns: Utility "Belt"
HP: 1/1
Glory: 2 -> 3
Notes: Vile Mechanism Survivor, Mount Left At Home :(

Snorkus was practically vibrating with rage. The Queen's proposal - nay, she was no queen, but a mere HONORLESS SOW - struck at the very core of his mad dedication to Justice. Still, he restrained himself, waiting for the right moment...

There! The Piglet's Corona flared, burning brightly with the same fires that burned deep within his soul, roasting it to a powerful (and delicious) crisp. The time to strike was now!

"Piglet! You distract her, and I'll take her down!"

Squealing disconcerting war cries, Snorkus launched himself at the Queen - only to dodge aside at the last possible moment, his job as distraction complete.

Justice is No Distraction! Except This One Time!: 2d100+30+3+3 151

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Ruby
Skills: Waitressing (+20) (cooldown), Acting, Oratory (+25) (using)
Glory: 0 -> 1

Well, there it was. For Ruby -- a servant of the Töan state, ruddy as any Fröman, the Waitress -- there was no escaping this situation as herself. The options were these: a corpse or a blue woman whose name wouldn't even make sense. She'd been praised, as an infant, on the healthy glow of her skin. Her game abstraction-mandated coloration. Whatever you called it, she wouldn't leave with it, or with her self intact. So what could a Waitress do, here, without any possible subtleties or deferrals left to her?

Well. Splut was initiating a Plan, as he so often had, some ludicrous effort operating on levels she didn't even slightly understand. Humbug had named her as one of the finest among them, in the kind of speech she recognized as the type men gave before they destroyed themselves in some name or another. Noggins was directing her Knights' last furious charge, her Excalibur an ordinary nail-non-breaking hammer dwarfed by her Ascended frame.

What the hell would her life be for if at this last moment, Ruby didn't do anything worth remembering?

How did it go? "It is a far better thing that I do now..."

Before all the speeches, before the attacks... there wasn't much her frame was good for, of course, but Ruby was at the very least fast. After all, she was wearing roller skates. So she called on the faint reserves of Esprit -- selfhood, personality, energy -- that every last Ö had somewhere inside and compelled herself to be ahead, in front, to look significant, to sound important, to be the emblem of the nation the Queen was extinguishing, to be an emblem of the game itself while very much not in the line of sight of all the important plans being executed by the Captains -- to be, in short, a high priority target --

"You are not my Queen," she shouted, loud enough for the Queen to pick up, "And I am not your subject. I answer to a higher authority, whose abilities you cannot grasp. I bring you this that you may know what the final consequences of defying my masters are --"

...remember how the Administrator talked, remember every self-possessed syllable, every mechanical pause, every stutter of undefined words, play on her megalomania and narcissism, convince her she's got to handle an actual rival for at least a moment, remember how to sound important or else this suicide charge is for nothing... it is a far better thing that I do now than I have ever done...

"-- when the [Stratagem] is [executed] upon your grievously misguided [substrate] so as to elucidate [actual victory conditions] beyond your misguided [refractionalism] --"

Moxey the Knife Fighter's Pearls of Wisdom posted:

"If you really have quit, honey... well, if you have to quit, make sure the bastards know what they're giving up. Remind them they can't trample on you forever. And, hell, have fun with it."

"-- in the name of all that is worth keeping about this contemptible field of the soon-to-be-dead, o Queen, remember that it was all in vain, that even the works of immortals are as dust before Our Hand, that they will build no statues of you, and that we are [EXECUTING] [CONTINGENCY] [OMICRON] --"

And then Ruby the Waitress dropped the pretense of having any kind of actual plan, clothesline-jump-kicked Her Majesty the Queen with a roller skate, grabbed her from behind like a particularly stubborn and suicidal limpet, lifted her up, and skated as fast as she could away from the Unexpectables.

Oratory to Be Convincingly Important Right Up Until This Dumbass Plan Gets Executed: 2d100+25 140

Well, at least she'd go out with one Glory, instead of zero.

Relying on the Fröller Skates to help me not get killed.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Name: Trinh
Skills: Taxidermy(+50, corrupted), Jumping(+50, using), Engineering(+50, corrupted)
Glory: 25 -> 26

Jvie posted:

"In the new world we shall truly be free! Free to live! Free to grow! Free to skin them! Fix the cracks! Polish the eyes! Pose them..." (Continues until forcibly interrupted.)
(She never got forcibly interrupted.)

"-rig them! Swap the heads! Take them! KEEP THEM FOREVER!"

Yet the queen remained ignorant. A pity. Turns out this "god" was nothing but another slave of the game. Many of the others saw it too. How can you all be so eager to die?! An attack! This time she would not be denied! She shot off the floor, flipped over in the air and kicked off from the ceiling to come down on the queen from above like an angry meteorite. One of them had already lost an arm, she would take another as a trophy.

Acquire Queenarm: 1d500+50+25+2 417

Jvie fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 13, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

At home:

Name: Portha
Skills: Rummaging (20), Cleaning (20), Mentalism (30) (in use)
HP: 3/3 -> 1/3
Glory: 13

Portha grabbed the taxidermite back and began to focus. She activated her esprit, channeling it through the fragment, trying to focus her esprit like the Warlords and Commanders did.

Bloodroll: 1d2 2

It was working, she focused even more.

Bloodroll 2: 1d2 1

It was starting to hurt.

Bloodroll 3: 1d2 2

The esprit began to stabilize as she kept focusing. Portha could feel the taxidermite respond, its mind-altering nature responding to the sheer force of will flowing into it, focusing the esprit in the surrounding air into a terrifying form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYFr3UyVpRA&t=134s
(something like this)

She could also feel Splut trying to connect the crown to the Mindbender network. That was the opening she needed. Why channel the esprit into some generic horror when the deepest fears of the Handmaidens could be unleased? Just a little more power.

Bloodroll 4, MORE!: 1d2 2

MORE! MORE! MORE!: 1d2 1

That was it, she felt her body start to break apart, anything more and she'd die.

NIGHTMARES!!!!: 8d100 (Self: 79, 46, Fragment: 15, Bloodrolls: 35, 21, 62, 56, :siren:100:siren:) 414
Ritual bonus: 1d100 10 = 424
+43 = 467

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 13, 2018

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

"Watch out Noggins, this ain't no ordinary battle, whilst you be stepping, you be fronting, Queen just sees you rattled.
So just lay down your speeches an' hammer up a storm, you know tonight's not gonna end until someone finishes the arsenal of Stårn."

"Hey Trinh, I know you know I like the cut of your Jvie, so make sure to duck and weave in time to get you out alive!"

"There goes Portha with her Monstah-bidness, Mason hooterin and hollering; Snorkus visting some Pigilante Justice, Gryph and Waesh just charging in.
Sucy helpin with her hackin' yeah Ringos Espirit is a cracklin' and Verika is spittin' harsh rhymes, yeah fo'sure we are attacking!"

"Look out now, there is Ruby, by now she might as well be the last Queen of the Frö, see her rolling see her skating she her hating like an Ö!"
Now after Ruby, here comes Dack, running on the ceiling, setting up a chair attack! Yeah, Qwäg's dropped her mutations but girl picked up romance, if our Risker would risk love, I figure that gives us all a chance! I know a good Hat when I sees one, and the best one here is Hat, and though the Queens got her own crown, there's just ain't nothing toppin' that."

"Queenie she be scared now but she ain't seen nothing yet, caus the unexpectables be packin' heat in the form of a little boy named Skett!
Yeah Tö-pain might be half blind but he sees the family resemblance, anyone can see plain that boy is aching for some vengeance.
All up in the queens crib like he is indigo Montöya, finally reppin for the crew; he about to make you dead brah!"

"You got Humbug all worked up in his conspiracy, but you know all them tales he keeps on sprouting; it's beginning to make sense to me.
It's no doubt our history is intense, fact of life is war, but last up in our battle is the mother of us all.
Yeah, Nanas had enough of you, she about to make you fall!"

"Now, Gado, get out quickly, but be sure to behind you leave some room,
I got ain't got no diggers shovel but I stole this fancy spoon!"

---

Battle-Rap to Raise Morale: 1d500 = 398
Fashion to (un)hide an army of Super Söldiers: 1d500+40-18 = 254 in order to intimidate the queen with M.A.D.
Being a Giant Flying Boat Monster: 3d5000 ???

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Skills:Spreading Disease (+40), Cursing(+15), Patience(+30)
Glory: 19

Grumbus dutifully helped Stårn build a fort out of unorthodox materials. It was actually kind of a fun challenge! Constructing walls from cushions and other bits of boudoir detritus took the edge off a little too.

Breaker's Hands: Patiently build a pillowfort: 1d100+19+30 75

The plaguebearer took another swig of liquor for courage and poked his head out of the top of the fort, "I didn't melt a bloody building's worth of blokes [sub](sorry Skett) so I could spend the rest of my life taking orders from a loving nob. Eat poo poo!

Grumbus got swept up in Noggins's call to action. Lifelong feelings of discontent bubbled to the surface.

"DEATH TO THE MONARCHY!", Grumbus shouted as he began pitching his homemade plague grenades at the Queen(s).

Eat poo poo and Die: 1d100+40+40+189 128

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The room, already tense, seemed to fly into chaos - but this was just the Unexpectables finding their groove. They’d gotten by on grit and stubbornness so far, and they’d come dangerously close here to pretending they knew what they were talking about. The revelation that everything was crazy nonsense, that the Queen was an ageless demigod who was more than half-mad, gentle tyranny made all the worse by her half-remembered origins, that even after all this death a fragment of her was ready to unleash even more chaos out there, filled them with a nervous sort of calm. One way or another, everything would start making sense soon. Either they’d beat the truth out of whatever they needed to beat it out of, or they’d all be dead. Death they understood just fine. Call that a consolation prize.

Questions flew amidst the storm of intentions. Portha the Rummager, ever the lateral thinker, maintained something of her wit even now.

Portha posted:

"One more question before I go - it's going to haunt me the rest of my life if I don't ask - what exactly are the functions of the [proof scraper] and [mirror shackle]?"
“The [proof scraper] was a farming and terraforming tool, and a powerful one. Properly employed, it can generate food out of almost nothing, roots guiding and shaping the very land around it. That you’ve turned it into a weapon is almost an amusing blasphemy. The [mirror shackle] is meant to glimpse into Script, though not to the bizarre degree to which Sucy uses it. It should be able to be installed around any reflective surface - a piece of glass, a mirror, a bowl of oil or water - and used to investigate the deeper workings of the [players of games]. Its original purpose could not possibly have been meditative, and it is difficult to believe the [players] would have allowed more access to the Script than was strictly necessary. I can only surmise it served the needs of the Administration in some capacity, like other such tools.”

---
Neebs looked thoughtful, then stepped back, along with a portion of the others. The Queen’s dealings were distasteful in the extreme, but if they worked, and ushered in a lasting peace… she couldn’t stand in the way of it. She hoped it wouldn’t come to blows, hoped they’d all see eachother at the Lampshade after this all blew over, but knew in her Bartender’s Core that a pressure was building that couldn’t be put aside forever.

(Neebs is influential and popular, and the Queen’s words are persuasive, if unethical… maybe… maybe her way is right? Maybe there’s something to her plan… along with Neebs, nineteen Mooks opt out of combat.)

---

Humbug posted:

"I don't think you're lying, but... there's more to this. You are broken? Breaking, perhaps. Tired. You're fishing for some quick and final fix and like Grimper at Noostra you are out of patience, not considering alternative or price. Frankly, beyond that Dack doesn't sound far off. What makes you different from the OGs if you're the sole determinator of what 'free will' is or means to us? If we've just been meat puppets all along - off-the-rail puppets, thanks to Monsterism, but still puppets - then... you don't consider us. Not as free-thinking individuals. Only as 'Population' to make use of - as '[Units]'. But that view is... hum. It's become wrong - outmoded. Worse, it is only as '[Degenerate]' individuals we've made these differences that have given you new options - options you for ages apparently lacked. We have unexpectedly made the first bit of difference - real difference - in... how long?"

"Consider! For all our Monsterism-inspired flaws and quirks, the Unexpectables have done things you thought impossible - and we did it in spite of YOUR societal safeguards! At first thanks to Grimper's desperate and bloody-minded determination to make up for his 'failure' in saving Reina - and then in spite of Grimper himself. He would have killed Zapanda. Without Zapanda the Cure would've been impossible. In your carefully calculated plan, an integral part of the Cure lies dead in a ditch - as with all of Frö - simply because she's a ruddy rudder and thus in the way of the emptiest victory there ever was. You - who mourn the loss of countless Ös - got so used to it that you didn't think you could save even the one last and final remnant that broke with the mold. Isn't that the truth?"

Irritation swept across their faces in a wave. Yino snapped at him. "The Cure was unexpected, but it can proceed - with my guidance - after we sort this out properly. Just because an avalanche happens to drop a ton of rocks in a beautiful shape doesn't mean the destruction wrought by its passage was worth it. Who's to say the Cure wouldn't have turned up otherwise? Who's to say that had I been able to end this whole drat thing years ago it would have even mattered? The Cure is just a bandage, addressing the symptoms and not the cause. Enough of this."

---

Verika posted:

"You didn't answer any of my questions, Your Highness. I won't be disregarded! I am a Perceiver, (as you probably know) and I see several flaws in your big plan."

"First off, what is the meaning of winning [the game] if winning [the game] makes us all [Null]? Do you really think being [Null] is a good thing?"
Dixi. "That simply means it's outside the parameter of the system to answer - that's exactly what we want! A chance to guide our own destin-"

Verika posted:

"Do you know what non-existence is like, Queen? Have you lived for so long that you've forgotten what it's like to die - to have your life taken from you?"
Sora. "Insolent child, I've died more times than you can even imagi-"

Verika posted:

"Why would you want to [Null]-ify the world in a year's time, anyway? Are you so bored of existence that you'd take us all with you?"
Yino. "I'm telling you, it's not going to be like tha-!"

Verika posted:

"Why should we want to get our absentee Overseers in trouble, anyway? Our very existence is contingent on them letting [the game] play out on its own, without them."
Foam. "But it shouldn't HAVE to b-"

Verika posted:

"You don't know everything that we know, oh Queen! For example, the Cure for Monsterism requires tissues taken from both Töan and Fröan Wendigos. A monoculture would mean no Cure! What do you say to that?"
Sora. "Just because that's the method by which you found a temporary and small-scale solution to a major problem doesn't mean that-"

Verika posted:

"What's so different about this time around, anyway, that you feel like there will actually, truly, finally be an end to [the game] you've apparently been playing for so long?"
Dixi. "Because I've tried everything else. Enough! You try the patience of an immortal, and while I am more than pleased to sit here all day and bandy questions around with you, your friend there is bleeding out. Make your choices and we'll get on with this at long last."

---

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

"You would use madmist against us? Fine. Be our guest, hasten the end of your pathetic, script-bound world.
And besides, you aren't the only one with an Äce up your sleeve. I parked Yacht-Sottoth right outside. By now it must surely wondering what all the commotion is about.
And in here?"
Ḯ̹͚̰͍̩ͨͪ̇͌ͅn͖͈̝̞͋̎͂̈́ͭ̑ͩͪ͌ ̩̬̱͉̰̦͇͖͒̿̍̍̂̆̋͐̀͢hͬ͗҉̣̰̙͉͚͔̲͞͡ẻ͖̙͍̠̘̣͇̠ř͈̜̬͞ͅė͔̼̺̳̘,̴̞̮͉͓̤̭̦͉ͨ̚͡ ̴̳̩̜̘̝̖̌ͨ̅̃͊̚İ̷̫̭̞͙͈̣ͪͯ͛ ̵͓̭̘͎ͯ̑͋ͨͪ̂ͣͅH̨̥̲̻͕̣̱̙ͥͫ͂͂̽̎͑̓ͩ͘ụ̡̧͕̲̖̦̙̔̔ñ̵̛͙̪̻̟̠̰͚̙͓̉̎̒̚͢g̼̝͓͕̣̙̪̓͐̔ĕ̗̳͍̜̮͇̗̙ͩ̿͆̂̔͢r̷̥ͪ̚͢.͖̞̙͕̳̫̥̭̘͐̎̿́
For once, the Queen had the grace to look godsmacked. Horrified, even. Foam shouted at her, hands clenched tight. “You… you fool! You would give corruption such a foothold? You would expose yourself to such horrors just to fight against your rightful queen, against the peace I’ve been working on longer than your combined years!?” She bit back whatever she wanted to say next, looking away. The other Handmaidens looked similarly peeved, but Dixi put up one hand. “Alright. You can’t be convinced? Your people will suffer for it.” She did nothing obvious, but Sucy felt a thrill of premonition prickle over her skin and slipped the Ring on reflexively. The golden skein of lines connecting the Queen to her various aspects flexed, flicking a message along one line. Somewhere out there, miles and miles distant, Neötöpia would be exposed to concentrated Madmist. They would fight, and they may even have been prepared for the gas, but even a town of Wendigos would be hard pressed to halt a midnight attack by a single, powerful assassin. They would fight Carlena and maybe even win, but the toll in lives - and public relations - would be astronomical. Unless they could get out of here. Unless they could reveal the truth! Snödis, for her part, looked confident, but Tö-Pain was sweating.

---
Even before the casual promise of genocide to Snödis’ people, the rest of the Horde was united. No. No, they would not accept the Queen’s premise. No, they would not keep quiet about her eons of secrets. One by one, they stood up to the Queen and her Maidens, and they told her so.

Sucy posted:

"Never"

Hob posted:

"The game is over. No."

Humbug posted:

"If you cannot reach into yourselves - and see past the endless piles of corpses you've piled up - to find an ounce of regret over that it may not have had to be that way - then we truly have NO business working together!"

Hat posted:

"My vote is No!

Nana posted:

"I reject you, you... you... heartless bitch."

Gryph posted:

I'll not take your oath."

Waesh posted:

"You're living in the shadow of the OGs, and they're gone! The only thing left to do with all the pieces that remain, all the 'pawns' in their game, is up to us! So cut me down! Blast this room with fire, send us to the Breakers, do what you've got to do! I'm not going to stand by while you count figures to get everything nicely lined up to some imaginary goal from idiots long since dead!"

Grumbus posted:

"DEATH TO THE MONARCHY!"

Trinh posted:

"-rig them! Swap the heads! Take them! KEEP THEM FOREVER!"

Ringo posted:

"You already have my answer, "Queen Reina," but I'll say it loud and clear. I'd rather die with my family, than let a tyrant like you rule one second longer."
The Queen and her Handmaidens stood, faces calm but hands clenching and unclenching in irritation. Dixi fell back a step, allowing Sora to walk forward towards Splut. Noggins and he were plainly leading two factions of the Horde, staring eachother down, and Sora went and stood beside him. “Splut the Bluffer. Beating social heart of the Unexpectables. You've been busy in the city these past weeks, securing a future for these people. Your friends, though to look at them now they seem a tad ungrateful. You are merely following through on your instincts - instincts that have carried you through countless disasters so far - and supporting your rightful Queen. Your rightful ruler, no matter the tricks I needed to play. You understand tricks, Bluffer. You understand that sometimes short term pain is necessary for long term success. You understand economies of scale and the grim calculus of war. My war is nothing less than a complete refutation of creators that abandoned us, a tearing away of bindings placed on us by callous gods. You, among all your peers, must surely understand that what I do, I do for the good of all Töans.”

Splut nodded, because he did. He understood like few of the others could the burden of terrible choices. He made one now.

Splut posted:

"The Horde destroying itself is a loss condition, not just for us but for Tö and the whole world. Our disagreements are steep, but turning against each other, Hordeling against Hordeling, Must not happen...For the sake of the world, for the sake of Tö, for the sake of the Unexpectable Horde and every individual within it, with the power invested in me as Captain...

Your Majesty, I hereby formally induct you into the Infiltrator Squad of the Unexpectable Horde, party to all that governs us."

All hell broke loose.

---
With a Waitress’ knack for just the right timing, Ruby skated by and heaved Handmaiden Sora off the ground, yanking her away from the others. The Handmaiden bellowed in annoyance and slammed her fist down on Ruby’s back, but the Waitress smoothly swung her through the air like a stack of dirty glasses and drew a shriek of rage. Heh. Well, there went the element of surprise. Now for the hard part.
    Ruby = 140 vs. Sora = 424

Sora kicked Ruby hard in the chest, breaking a couple of ribs with an accompanying flash of light. She skidded backwards, wheels absorbing much of the force. Still hurt like a bitch. “Foolish, Fröman. This could have been so much easier on you. Perhaps I was too hopeful in assuming a peaceful conversion of your people. Perhaps you’re too far gone. Ah, well.” She launched herself forward.

(Ruby takes 2 Damage 1 Damage as her Fröller Skates absorb part of the attack! They cannot be used again this combat!)

---
Gado had pulled away during the discussion, at turns bored and overwhelmed by the discussion. Above his paygrade. He wasn’t even being paid to be here at all, actually. He’d been scouting the room while they talked, sussing it out as best he could. Everything was gold and tacky and shiny, but the underlaying walls were Olivite. He could feel it deadening vibration when he pressed his hand against the wall. Total vibrational damping, perfectly soundproof. Yes, perfect - just like it was perfectly indestructible. Palms pressed against the wall discretely while they’d talked, he’d felt faint tremors in his core. Stonesense, a supposedly mythical sense possessed by the best of miners. Well, if he wasn’t that, he was drat close. He’d wandered as they talked, ignored so long as he made no sudden moves. They thought him simple or quiet, fine. Let them talk. He’d listened. He’d found a point where the tremors were greater.

And now that everyone was screaming and distracted, now that the tunnel was caving in, it fell to him to make sure they could come up for air.

A tiny hole for now, but every mine started out with nothing more! He threw his weight against it and the stubbornness of ancient days gave way before him.

---
Skett finally decided on something when he saw Cause stiffen and square his shoulders. The Archaeologist was for the Queen! He was a traitor… no, he was the only non traitor… it didn't matter. Skett cleared his throat, then called out to him. “Listen, I understand, really I do. But this is wrong!” Cause rounded on him, eyes set and determined, and Skett raised his bow.
    Skett=61 vs. Cause = 98

The chain struck him square in the face, and he had only his reflexes to thank that he hadn't lost his nose outright to the strike. But in dodging he'd fallen for the feint - with a practiced snap of his wrist, Cause lashed the bow out of Skett's grip and flicked it away. Growling, Skett drew his blade. Fine. They'd do it the hard way.

(Skett loses one HP!)

---
Portha fell inwards. It was time to break it out. She squeezed the Taxidermite, piercing her flesh with its prongs and barbs, and she felt it start to shiver and shake. She felt hot and excited and VIOLENT. One Million Drops of Boiling Blood, Magda had called it. She’d tested it before, but nothing like this. Nothing like this POWER! She sneezed, then laughed, blood trickling from her mouth. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Handmaiden Yino swung a steel post at her, and she caught it distractedly, chuckling as it screamed like a terrified ferret. She squeezed it and her fingers sank into it, squirting raspberry jam jelly guts and gore between her claws. Yino drew back in alarm. “W-what have you done? Your body can’t take this sort of strain, foolish girl! I’d expect this sort of thing from-”
    Portha = 414 vs. Yino = 295

A shiny blue tree was too loud! But maybe there was something good inside! She stripped off the bark, but inside the knothole there wasn’t anything but a bunch of clumps of spaghetti! Maybe she just needed to look deeper! She felt hot! Why were here hands so sticky?

(Portha takes 2 Damage - Breaker’s Guard is unable to prevent it! Yino is slain. Her strength returns to the fold.)

---
The instant Splut had laid his hand on the Crown, Sucy went under. She saw the Crown immediately, understanding it in a new light after Neebs’ pronouncement. Neebs. Damnit. She wasn’t going traitor on them now, was she? No time to think about that, not even here. She could see the Queen lashing out in the dark world, looking like nothing more than some strange Wendigo, a mindless beast churning up the waters around her. She dove for the crown, ignoring the eyes tracking her. Splut had done something to it, something it took her a second to see. He was… trying to link it to the Mindbender network? Good heavens, what would that even do!? Weaken the Queen, for drat sure, or at least confuse her. Good enough.

She flitted around the Crown like a firefly, taking in this side and that. Up close, it was clear just what a hackjob it was. Twenty or more pieces of Script all linked together haphazardly. It was clearly an amateur effort, for all that it was ages more complex than she could make herself (right now, anyhow). But she didn’t need to know how to make it. She just needed to know how to take it apart. If each individual element was as tenuously connected as it looked, it should only take a quick nudge to break them. If she played her cards right, they’d reset and link right up with their pirate network! If!

She pulled out drenched in sweat but laughing. The Handmaiden or whoever had come looking for her was too slow by half, so unless they wanted their precious crown to dissolve entirely they'd have to divert precious attention towards putting it back together!

(The Crown is compromised. Syncing with Mindbender network in process. Caution, results may be unpred-icd̷̛͢į̷̵̷͢c̴̀͟͡t̸̨͢͢a̵̵̡̢͢b͏̸̧͡͞l͘̕̕-pectable. Queen’s Core Matrix affa̵̶̧͠͡f̸̸̴f̛́͜l͢͜ì̴̀͟͞c҉̛̕̕͜t̸͝ę̵͘͞d̡́͢ ̛́͘à̸̢͠f̵̷̢̀͠f̡̨͟͝͡e̡͡c̵̕t҉̷̡̛͝e̷̴̢̛͠d̵͘҉́͟ ҉̢͏ą̸̸͞l̴̕͟t̡̀͠͏̴e̢͟͢r͏̡͞ę̧͘d̵̷̢̀̕ ҉̛͢a̸̛̛͟͢d̵̢̨s̨͘o̸͡r̨͢͞͠)

---
Stårn and his men began to tear the place up so quickly you'd have thought they had been planning it all along. Pillows, blankets and couches were gathered and slammed together with lightning speed, shored up moments later with tiles and bits of stoneware they'd managed to pry off the floor and walls. Against all odds, within minutes they'd managed to create several strategic covers and hunkered down behind them while the others fought. Stårn wasn't totally sure how this was all going to shake out, but he was proud of how his fortifications had turned out. Either they'd prove crucial in overwhelming the evil Queen, in which case his Academy would have a nice little boost in publicity… or alternately the Queen would survive and notice how well they'd come together and follow through with her promise to help get the Academy off the ground. Win win! He sidled up next to Mason and borrowed a swig of hooch. It had been a long night.

(Nice barricades, dorks! Prevent 5 Damage to anyone who needs it during this combat. I’ll let you guys distribute that as you wish! But on the other hand maybe you won’t take any damage!)

---
Hob felt something bubbling up within the network, something unfamiliar and powerful. Humbug gripped his shoulder, and they took cover while the titans fought. Getting in the way would put them and their champions in danger, so they kept their eyes open and their minds on the power they could barely glimpse. It felt… wrong, somehow. Like it was locked behind a gate they didn't have a key for. They caught Sucy's eye, but she was already frowning, frustrated. Somewhere, the Queen laughed. “The power of the Crown isn't just for anyone, children! Without a body of my line you aren't getting a sniff of its power! You've delayed me here, nothing more! I'll crush you dissidents and convert the survivors! Just lay down and DIE!”

And yet the Handmaidens were diminished, and Dixi herself looked frazzled. This wasn’t going exactly as well as the Queen had been expecting. In fact… Hob jogged Humbug’s attention and pointed at the far wall, where Gado was happily smashing away at the naked Olivite. He was either ignoring or unaware of the dozens of questing, fine blue threads snaking through the hole, along with tendrils of red mist. Looking at it now, it was obviously not Madmist, but they were probably the only people in Tö who could have told the difference. Hob sprinted across the room, sliding across the floor on his knees and staying low, then grabbed one of the lines. It snapped shut around his wrist, cutting into the flesh. He ignored it and thought as hard as he could.

[Handmaidens all mind-linked. Grab corpse and run. Queen is ancient immortal evil. Still linked to corpse! Take the body to administrator @ vault near Teret <insert location memory>, ask to purge from the game. Bring someone. DANGEROUS.]

[...What!?]

Hob groaned in annoyance. Come on! He pulsed as much sensory data as he could, drawing on all his experience with the Mindbender network. She needed to listen! drat it all, she needed to! A familiar presence touched his mind and he listened.
[I don’t know who this is, but I can only assume it’s you Unexpectable bastards. Still alive, hidden from my ambush. I should have known! I’ve had enough of your tricks. You’ll say anything, do anything, to get what you need. I’ve seen it. Zapanda has seen it. My COUNTRY SAW IT FIRST HAND! I can’t-]

[INCOHERENT MEMORIES AND EMOTION]

[It doesn’t make sense! I don’t understand! The Queen - your own Queen - is attacking you? And she’s some sort of immortal demigod? That can’t be true. You’re just trying to get me to pull out. There’s no turning back, kid. This is it for me… where are you, anyhow?]

[FERVENT TRANSFER OF INFORMATION]

[...I’m coming. Get that door open. drat you, I’m going to regret this, but I can’t turn down a shot at the Queen. If what you say is true…]

The line went slack, and Hob rubbed his wrist. Pressed against the wall, he tried to flick a message out to Grimper. He had no idea if it went through. No idea if he still lived. drat it… Fine. Get the door open, and they’d have Sikatris here to ‘help’.

---
Noggins, Dack, Splut, Gryph, Ringo and Snorkus threw themselves against the Queen over and over. Dixi met their blows head on, parrying sword blows with bare flesh and striking out with fingertips that sank through armor. Foam was far less formidable, little more than a particularly tough Ascended, but when Yino died messily her muscles bulged and her eyes burned a little brighter. With Sora pulled away from the melee and tangling with Ruby in the corner, that left just the two of them against the entire Horde. And, somehow, they were winning. Foam caught Trinh’s swinging blade and held her back, laughing. “Look to your former friends, Wendigo. Neebs and her conscientious objectors. They alone are willing to talk this out. Did it really need to come to violence?” Foam struck her in the chest, sending her sprawling back, but she landed, spider-like, and scuttled into the fray.

Dixi clutched at her head and winced, whirling. “The Crown was the work of years! You’re like children knocking over anthills, unknowing of the ages of work you’ve shattered! It’s going to take me hours to put this poo poo back together.” She held the Crown in one hand - what was left of it. It was still Crown-shaped, but… oddly fuzzy, flickering between dozens of images and textures. Even as the Horde watched, it dripped like molten metal. Where droplets hit, they merged into whatever material they’d struck. One dribbled into her hand and projected out there like a massive wart and she gagged. She threw it at the ceiling, where it adhered. “Fine. Let’s do this properly then.”

Queen Dixi’s body rippled and flowed, flicking through hundreds of minutely different forms before settling on one that was plainly more suited for combat. Her dress ripped, but she fixed it in a flash, leaving her looking just as imperious and beautiful as ever. She tore a metal post out of the wall and passed it through a closed fist, compressing it down to a thin, flexible rod. “Let’s go.”
    Unexpectables = 5155 vs. [Handmaiden Foam = 572 + Queen Dixi 4721]
Ringo couldn’t believe how fast she was. The Dekatö had thought Grimper was fast, once, but there was simply no contest. The Queen barely touched the floor, moving in a golden blur that drew blood wherever it brushed against flesh or the armor covering it. Foam was much slower, but powerful in her own right. One on one, Ringo could have taken her - but that wasn’t what they were dealing with right now. And yet… she was slower than she had been when she’d caught Verika’s shot. He was sure of it. The Crown had something to do with it.

She appeared in front of him and lashed out with her rapier. He snapped his eye shut just fast enough to send her blade skittering off his skin, but her clenched fist took him in the gut, knocking him back. She laughed at him as though they were still at the party and he’d told a clever joke. “You’re all going to die in here. If you claim mastery of this Horde - tell them to stand down.”

(That was so incredibly close to being an upset on your part! As it stands, the 40 lowest rolls that took part in the combat (that is, everyone besides Neebs and the 19 Mooks who opted out) take 2 Damage! Additionally, a single random Horde member takes 2 damage! Let’s see who the lucky person is! Rolling gives me… Neebs, who isn’t a target. Grumble grumble. Reroll gets me Larry the Late, who gets a bloody hole turn in his cheek by a clawed pinky nail!)

• Fight Queen Dixi - Difficulty 10Q Threat 40 Damage 2
    Can you possibly win?
  • Fight Handmaiden Foam - Difficulty 8 Threat 1 Damage 2
    The Queen is so strong.
  • Fight Handmaiden Sora - Difficulty 8 Threat 1 Damage 2
    The Handmaidens don’t even look winded..
  • Meddle With The Crown - Difficulty ??? Threat ???
    The Crown is the key… isn’t it?
  • Find A Way To Open The Door - Difficulty ???
    How? And do you really want to?
  • Send A Message - Difficulty ???
    The wall is open a crack! Send a message… to who, though? Who can help?
  • Something else?
    What is there to be done?

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 23, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

At home:

Skills: Rummaging (20) (in use), Cleaning (20), Mentalism (30) (cooldown)
HP: 1/3
Glory: 14

Portha wondered if this was the death the tree Yino would have wanted, to be ripped apart.

The pools of blood on the floor solidified into Töan forms and knelt down before Portha, proclaiming her to be the rightful queen The taxidermite seemed as happy as a weird lump of stabilized Monsterism could be. It wasn't like she hadn't been thinking about that all night anyway. The real question was how to usurp the queen. They needed things, things they didn't have.

Portha shouted through the crack in the wall, hoping Sikatris was listening on the other end.

"S҉EN̕D̡ ́TH͏R̶EAD ̕THROÙG̕H̵ T̨H͡E̕ HO͝LE! TI̴E͘ O͡T̸H͡ER EŅD͘ ̢TO E͏M̸P̛TY͠ ͏IN͟H͠ABI̸T̴E͠D M͠AS̕K!͢ N͏O T͠I̢ME͞ TO҉ WA͝I̶T ̷FOR̨ ̢VAUL̢T ͘T̢O̵ OPEN̷.̨"

Portha hoped that would be enough. She turned to Hat, the only one with the skill to make this work. "S͟EÈ ͜I̴F ͜Y͘OU ͢CA͟N ͏FIX ͞TH̷E C͘RÓW͜N͝.͝ USE M̷Y ͞HELME͏T. ̀WE ̕C͜AN ͝SH̸U͢T̷ ̀H̀ÈR̶ DO͠WN͠ IF ẀE DO͡ ͟I̶T RI̶GH͠T.̶"

Supply list: 3d100+34 148

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Gado!!!
Skill: Digging (+75, Cooldown), Tunneling (+10)
HP: 2/2
Glory: 42->43
Breaker's Hand Action: Once per combat can make an additional roll to build fortifications or create siege gear.
Breaker's Hand Bonus: Double the bonus on consumables used for violent combat.

People were bleeding, screaming, dying, but Gado was too far gone at this point to care. The realization of Stonesense's manifestation combined with such a challenge to dig through was fully engrossing. He ached to put his primary core back to work, but any good digger knew that core exhaustion would lead to you collapsing and suffocating in an unfinished tunnel, so he just barely managed to restrain himself.

While Gado was certainly making progress, something felt off. He glanced over the start of his greatest work and was struck by a bolt of clarity. Any good mine shaft needed solid bracing, it wouldn't do to have it collapse while going in, so nearby chairs and tables were hacked to pieces, decadent antique furniture was deftly smashed to pieces, hard woods slammed into place to form a bracing structure.

With safety concerns met, Gado set to the real task at hand. He'd opened the initial fissure, now all that was left to do was the grunt work of clearing out that pesky rubble in the way between him and his goal.

Captainicus posted:

The pirate quickly reaches into his suit jacket, pulling out two large boomsticks that couldn't possibly reside in the immaculately fitted formalwear, and quickly tossing them over to Gado.

Gado can add 50 to his door opening roll!

Even before Gado can begin to really gripe about the grunt work of hauling out rubble, a pair of Miner's Best Friends rolled to a stop at his ankles. Not skipping a beat fuses are struck, the boomsticks are shoved deep in the hole he's been making, and Gado is sprinting out of his tunnel and diving behind the cover of his makeshift barricades. There's an overly long pause, a cacophonous bang, and a horrendous spray of chips and shards of olivite that had been loosened by the Osteoclasis.

With a tear burgeoning in his eye, Gado stepped back into the blast zone and took to chipping away at ancient materials once again.

quote:

Breaker's Hand (No core): Putting up barricades around the tunnel "entrance" for safety! 108

Tunneling to keep up the work: (Find a way to open that door): 128 178, got the okay from DK to apply the boomsticks.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 16, 2018

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Snödis | Tö-Päin

Skillcores: D͜i͢s̷͢a̢ppŗo̸͘͏v̢̛í̢n̸͡g͞ ̷͜͏P͢͜o̢et̴̢̀r̡y̕ ̧͢+̴5̸͟͝0҉͟ , Fashion +40, Secretly Murdering Innocents + 15
HP: 1/1 (3 wire)
Glory: 1
Ignomity: -18
Ritual Glory: ??
Nationality: Neötöpian

All bets and bluffs were off now. Her mask shut tight to deflect any hidden madmist traps, her stray thoughts, if any, for her people. But right here, right now, Snödis was little more than a tangle of wires, barley holding down the unbridled hunger of the actual monster stitched to her back. Blood was in the air. Noble blood. Pure. The Lepidopteran Horror lashed out with probing proboscii, it's wings giving Flight to the battle torn form of the former captain.

Flying, Lepidopteran Horror to Eat Yino!: 1d500+3+1-18 = 53

---

Tö-Päin on the other hand was making good on his promise, using a stolen spoon to scoop up precious olivite fragments released from their eternal prison by the mighty pickaxe of Gado.
Tö-Päin figured their only real chance at vicory this evening lay with Yacht-Sottoth, and with the Monsterist Resistance at large, if any of them where even awake at this hour. All he had to do was get the right message out, but to do that he needed to dig, so he dug.

Uncored Digging to get the message out to Yacht-Sottoth: 1d500 = 461

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Name: Hob
Glory: Glory is a remnant of the game, reject it.
Skill: Singing+45 (using), Contortion+35 (cooling), Butterfly riding

Siktaris... She could get herself in through Gado's tunnel. Something else was pulling Hob's attention.

The crown, weighing in the net like a... big... fish? But off limits.

Dog Kisser posted:

“The power of the Crown isn't just for anyone, children! Without a body of my line you aren't getting a sniff of its power!

Without a body of... waitaminute-

Flashback posted:

“I'll be candid. You've been put forth as a candidate for Handmaidenry… you’re a prime candidate.

Hob grabbed Humbug by the coat excitedly "!'

"I've got an idea! I- rats, my eye's the wrong side- sorry, can I borrow your Minds-Eye-Helm, we can get in! Im telling you we can-"

He pulled away, looking panicked, excited.

Scribbleykins posted:

"Hum. Can't - I've got to try something. But... excellent sleuthing! Hat! Bring Portha's Helm to the Knight-Carpentainer! We need a combat stitch-'n-sting job - hum - stat!"

"Of course! You're a genius!"

Hob scampered along the edge of the barricade, under chairs, past tables, shrapnel breaking overhead. To Noggins!

"psst!" Noggins was thrown back from the queen, catchung herself, skidding to a halt less than a metre away from Hob, determination on her face.

"We've got a way in to the crown. Mindbend net. You were picked to be one of them." He pointed quickly with his thumb towards the queen, going toe to toe with Ringo, and waves at the helm held by Hat, making its way over- "You can spoof the crown, break the connection, seize control, attack her powers direct!" Serious face. Quick words. "It's not guaranteed to work, and it's dangerous, but I'll be there to help. If you don't feel it's right I've got a backup plan. But if we are gonna do it, it's now or never".

Make the mindbender nodes Sing, link Noggins in the net to the crown.: 1d100+45 59

If access is denied, jam own eyepatch into dead Yino's head to bypass queen body security requirements and give Noggins royal rights to access crown.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 20, 2018

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Nana the Elder
//Not Available:
Cores: Mothering+50(cd), Cooking+20, Sewing (using)
Glory: 1 -> 2
Medic Squad

Dog Kisser posted:

Skett finally decided on something when he saw Cause stiffen and square his shoulders. The Archaeologist was for the Queen! He was a traitor… no, he was the only non traitor… it didn't matter. Skett cleared his throat, then called out to him. “Listen, I understand, really I do. But this is wrong!” Cause rounded on him, eyes set and determined, and Skett raised his bow.
    Skett=61 vs. Cause = 98

The chain struck him square in the face, and he had only his reflexes to thank that he hadn't lost his nose outright to the strike. But in dodging he'd fallen for the feint - with a practiced snap of his wrist, Cause lashed the bow out of Skett's grip and flicked it away. Growling, Skett drew his blade. Fine. They'd do it the hard way.

"No!" Nana ran to Skett's side, grabbing at his raised wrist and pulling him back a few paces out of Cause's reach. "Please dear, please don't hurt him. I can't bear to see family hurting each other like this. Just... Just let me talk to him. I can... I can..."

Nana shoved Skett back as Cause began to advance. She flashed him a shaky smile. "I can make it better. Nana's going to make it all better."

She hoped that sounded sincere, she had no idea what to do. She turned to focus on the Tö in front of her as visions of Humbug's fall burned through her mind. Anything was better than seeing one hordemate attack another. Anything.

Nana took a deep breath, here went nothing. "Please Cause, whatever is happening inside you I hope you can understand something."

"I care about you. We care about you. All of the Unexpectables do, and they always have. This... ritual? Your skin? It doesn't define you. The Queen is wrong, the game is over. She's done so much to hurt people, destroyed so much, for nothing! You don't have to fight us. You don't have to fight for her. We won't fight you. I won't fight you!" She approached him with her arms open wide and tried to give him a hug.

A motherly embrace (that will attempt to restrain its target if necessary)

Sewing to mend a wounded relationship.: 1d100+10+1 34

BHB fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 17, 2018

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

// //

Skills: Piracy +40, Grappling +25, Romance +15
Glory: 4 -> 5

Well, this was it. Unsurprisingly, most of the other Unexpectables wouldn't hear a lick of what the Queen had to say. Waesh drew his sword and set himself to a fighting crouch, ready for an impossible battle against unbeatable odds but then Splut... oh that clever dog! "Look alive, lubbers! You'll never sweep us under the rug, Queens! The Unexpectables can never be broken!". The pirate quickly reaches into his suit jacket, pulling out two large boomsticks that couldn't possibly reside in the immaculately fitted formalwear, and quickly tossing them over to Gado.

Gado can add 50 to his door opening roll!

"As much as I hate to say it with HER on the other side, we need a way out! This aught to give ye a hand!" With that taken care of, only one thing left for it. While Waesh was no formal master of swordsmanship with perfect footwork and form, he knew a thing or two about beating someone who thought themselves unbeatable. Never let them see you falter, and surprise them to keep them on the back foot! So with that, he rushed at Foam in a charge, bellowing a wordless battle cry!

Charge at Handmaiden Foam!: 1d100+5+4+40 103

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Sleuth-Off-Hand:

Squad: Infiltration
Skill: Sleuthing +80 (Used); Submission Holds (); Guarding (Using);
HP: 2/1 (+1 Prosthetics)
Clues: 32/50 ---> 33/50

Dog Kisser posted:

She appeared in front of him and lashed out with her rapier. He snapped his eye shut just fast enough to send her blade skittering off his skin, but her clenched fist took him in the gut, knocking him back. She laughed at him as though they were still at the party and he’d told a clever joke. “You’re all going to die in here. If you claim mastery of this Horde - tell them to stand down.”

Humbug shook his head angrily - the Queens really weren't getting it. Ringo didn't run this Horde. Heck, Grimper didn't run this Horde! Nor did Splut or Noggins or anyone. Respect ran this Horde! The HORDE ran this Horde! CRAZY-rear end ANTICS ran this Ho--

WereGoat posted:

Hob grabbed Humbug by the coat excitedly "!'

"I've got an idea! I- rats, my eye's the wrong side- sorry, can I borrow your Minds-Eye-Helm, we can get in! Im telling you we can-"

He pulled away, looking panicked, excited.

Humbug blinked at Hob, tugged at his hat, then glanced over at Gado, relentlessly assaulting once-unassailable Olivite walls. Then he looked back at Hob, who'd tapped into the Mindnet - SENT a MESSAGE out there - and gotten a response. And was thinking of something... rather interesting. The Sleuth took hold of his hat again, then let go, shaking his head.

"Hum. Can't - I've got to try something. But... excellent sleuthing! Hat! Bring Portha's Helm to the Knight-Carpentainer! We need a combat stitch-'n-sting job - hum - stat!"

As his eye met Hat's, his grim, angry expression turned strangely satisfied. Something of the unflappable expression he'd held when they'd first come face to face with the Queens returned.

"Speaking of sting operations, you DID stuff the Mindnet components into as many of the hats sold from your shop as you could, hm?"

He let out a sigh of relief as The Milliner rolled her eyes and gave him a thumbs up. Of course she had - the Mindnet Exposé wouldn't be much of a backup plan if she hadn't - and she was a Olds-damned professional! Satisfied, looking over at the Queen as she displayed her true nature, the Sleuth narrowed his eyes. This was it - and it was going to get dicey. He would get people hurt - and worse - and he would raise holy hell and confusion... but the truth was so long overdue, and this half-broke old thing was beyond due for a proper drat upset! He sliced the air in front of him with his prosthetic arm, struck a determined pose and let out a growing humming yell as he powered up his inner voice to its utmost range, fixating on transposing the image of the transformed Dixie fighting Ringo over his thoughts and pushing thought and image to the top of his head and the hat upon it!

HUMMMMMM, people of the Capitol! This is Humbug - Sleuth Extraordinaire Unexpectable! Our Horde Is Under Attack by a Renegade Oh Gee Entity that has taken over the Queen and her Handmaidens and tricked the Council and Breakers into supporting her schemes. This Fake Queen is trying to prevent us from Revealing that IT has been behind The Madmist Attacks, Reina's Death and so much more - and it has FAILED. Spread the news! Raise your crews! Be you Brave Veterans, Dutiful Watchtö, Angry Old Tö-Towners, or just plain tired of being Victims of Madmist and War - come to the Royal Palace and JOIN THE HORDE to defeat this CRIMINAL MENACE! Fear not Monsterism as the latest Madmist Attack is Fake, the product of a vengeance-maddened Frömen, as anyone who has suffered a REAL Madmist Attack could tell!

Three more personalized messages burst from the Sleuth's furrowed brow beneath the Blindcap. Someone had to rally the mob and that wasn't a job anyone could do. It took guts. It took Respect. He knew three who might fit the bill, and fittingly they were as different and unexpectable as the Horde itself. Hopefully, one or more would heed him.

Humbug slowly pictured a Don of a Tö, elegantly dressed, Watch jacket slung casually over his shoulders, more draped than worn. A cigar-smoking man, bold as brass, tough as nails, wearing a magnificent black Hömburg and sitting in a chair and staring coldly over his desk at a sweating subordinate Watchtö. The Watch-Captain - he was a Watch-Captain - was chewing in frustration on the cigar as he received word of yet another Madmist Attack - but then cigar slipped slowly from his lips as a familiar, blustering voice called out in his head.

Watch Captain Badbrass! This Fake Queen is long past worthy Respect. How many times will you let her get away with Madmisting YOUR töwn, hm? Isn't enough finally enough?

Humbug pictured a huge, gnarled old landlady with a perpetually dour expression, in incongrous Bönny slippers, an old pink bathrobe and a darling new white Bönnet, as she stared out into the cold of the night, her gimlet eyes focused on a towering monstrum parked in the distance - Yacth-Sothoth - while tapping a wicked cane angrily against the wooden floor. As a hue and cry went up in the distance, the old woman turned with a snarl to look in the direction of the Royal Palace, where wisps of red emanated into a dark snowy sky, lit from lights below. An already deep frown turned into forbidding canyons as cries of 'Madmist at the Palace' echoed past her shabby old tenement building. The lady spat a few mumbled curses, proclaiming she always knew this day would come - then coughed in surprise and cursed loud enough to curdle milk as an annoying, overly familiar humming voice could be heard over the outside hubbub.

Martha The Mither! Ma'am, you always wanted to give the Queen a piece of your mind. Turns out you shouldn't - she'd eat it - but don't let that stop you from giving this one what it DESERVES. The royal rent is far overdue.

Humbug pictured a hard-working, occasionally muttering, sometimes ululating, and misshapen figure covered from head to toe in a mish-mash of protective oilskins and a gask mask - wearing a surprisingly dashing new yellow Sou'wester. Standing before a huge slab of Basker meat, the figure was cutting lovingly precise incisions, dismantling with uncanny ease fats and meats from bone and marrow, entering a strange zone of unnatural instinct and pure skill. A faintly familiar voice penetrated the figure's mind past its self-addressed natter, but it all seemed so far away, of relatively little concern, there was so much meat, and it all needed preparation for tomorrow's festivities and-

Eddy The Butcher, perhaps Last of the last Asskickers and Tö-Town Brand-igo! As if it wasn't enough that this thing plans to end your 'go-getting days, she made Magda die raging at its pointless war. Bring your cleaver and avenge The Cleaver.

Humbug's mind strained at the effort, but there was grim satisfaction in his expression. The Queen was sorely mistaken if she thought all avalanches were accidental - Humbug had pushed harder than anyone to get the truth out and here he was, once again shouting into the dark and daring anyone to listen to even a mere fragment of it... to be pushed into the right direction. To be the stray pebble that unleashed an unexpected, crashing-down circumstance. Unless the Queen could counter him - again - in her current state, at least the truth - or whatever mangled thing word of mouth would make his shorthand version of it - would at last slip free from her grasp.

Guarding to report the crime of crimes over the Mindnet and deputize some Töwnsfölk: 2d100+10+32 134

Retconning a backup Mindnet Exposé plan into existence for fun and mayhem to make names from Humbug's backstöry be maybe possibly relevant (or not). Can edit away if beyond the pale or impossible.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Potrait:

Naim: Mason!
Statuz: rear end ENDED
Skillz: Mason Hootin' an' Hollerin' +45 Mason Masonry MasonDirty Fighting+25
HeeP: Mason Mason Mason?
Glury: Masonx5 -> 6

Mason finishes off the last of the royal booze, throws it in the direction of the nearest queen and flips her off. "Dat tastud lik Baskur pess! Feck yoo!" Mason ducks after throwing the bottle, and crawls up near Stårn.

"Will, sheeyut!. Stern, wee eint guna lest lung en heer. Nut witout owr boomstucks en sheeyut. Wee knead two mek sum sheet upp hur."

Mason makes some more convoluted statements, but with some hand gestures and a close working relationship Mason works out his plan with Stårn: Make some 'splosions. Except the materials in the area are poor for that purpose, but there is fire nearby. As Mason gestures over to a comrade of theirs...

"Whethur Rambo lykes et orr nut, dat dere curona mey bee owr beast chunce too git owtta hur. Wee eint gout owr tresbuttchets, bet dat lewsks gud enuf two mee."

Mason then hops over on the barricades, hails Ringo then asks for a lift up onto his shoulders. Once in position, Mason uses his primary skillcore power through the corona, and tells Ringo to just look at the nastiest queen he wants gone.

Hootin' n' Hollerin' at a Queen Through Ringo's Corona!: 2d100+50 205

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Name: Stårn
Skills: Siege Weapons +45, Butterfly Beastmaster +20, Timing +30
Glory: 20->21

Stårn watched as Mason ran out to join Ringo. He couldn't really blame him, Hooting and Hollering was such an established bit of sieging doctrine by now that it should probably get its own class at SASGY.

As for him? He already did his big revelation/creed just a moment ago, albeit only inside his own head. All that remained now was the gruntwork.

Not that Stårn minded.

Hard work and persistence. Now that was the Heart of Sieging.

He took a swig from a bottle he was sharing with his squadmates, grinned his Sieging Grin, gave a happy whistle, and got to work on the makeshift fort.

Timing to efficiently schedule my work so as to optimally keep up my endurance up for a Sieging Effort as I fortify this fort : 2d100+50=114

As fortmaster, 5 fortheals go as thus: Grumbus takes 2, the 3 mooks who would have 1 hp left instead of dying take the remaining 3 (as in, I'm saving the lives of 3 mooks because I'm cool like that).

Theantero fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 20, 2018

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Name: Neebs
Skill(s): Bartending (+45) (using this turn)
Surgery (+15)
Mentalism (+10)
Medics: Breaker’s Eye - Upon a failed healing attempt, heal 1 HP for every 100 in the failed roll, rounding up. Additionally, once per combat a Medic may heal an ally that has rolled lower than them 1 HP.
Drunk Oracle - During Downtime, Neebs may make a DrinkingBartending roll (involving Neebs drinking) and answer one question posed by others (her choice). DK answers truthfully and potentially usefully.
Humbug: Blackened Eye Savant - Humbug may question Neebs as a separate action during downtime with another roll from her (doesn't need to be Drinking) about the Blackened Eyes.
Glory: 13 + 1 posting glory -> 14

super sweet best pal posted:

Portha grabbed the taxidermite back and began to focus.

How dare she. It wasn't Portha's. Neebs hadn't approved of the grab for her Taxidermite; but it had happened so fast. It was only on loan in the first place, and Neebs had clearly reclaimed it. How dare Portha take Neeb's stuff AGAIN.

Dog Kisser posted:

Portha fell inwards. It was time to break it out. She squeezed the Taxidermite, piercing her flesh with its prongs and barbs, and she felt it start to shiver and shake.

And then Portha used it to kill the best handmaiden, Yino. No. Unacceptable.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

[The Lepidopteran Horror lashed out with probing proboscii, it's wings giving Flight to the battle torn form of the former captain.

Flying, Lepidopteran Horror to Eat Yino!: 1d500+3+1-18 = 53

And Snodis was going to eat Yino?

No.

This was too much.

The rest of the horde might see the queen as nothing but a monster; but the horde themselves had become monsters.

Portha turned to Hat, the only one with the skill to make this work. "S͟EÈ ͜I̴F ͜Y͘OU ͢CA͟N ͏FIX ͞TH̷E C͘RÓW͜N͝.͝ USE M̷Y ͞HELME͏T. ̀WE ̕C͜AN ͝SH̸U͢T̷ ̀H̀ÈR̶ DO͠WN͠ IF ẀE DO͡ ͟I̶T RI̶GH͠T.̶"

Supply list: 3d100+34 148

But Portha was distracted now.

Neebs addressed the mooks who had opted out of combat with her:

"My friends, look at what Portha and Snodis have become. Our Handmaidens have done what they could to make Tö great; to remove us from the PoG's machinations; and paid the sacrifices that were needed.
Our horde has become something altogether different. We must stand with our Queen and excise the monsters from the horde. Join me in killing the Wendigos...and Portha. Portha has clearly gone mad or been infected:
stealing hordemate's belongings and...just look at that horrible aura. We are probably going to die in the effort, but, we have to excise these monsters now; let the Handmaidens live or die to the rest of the horde; and we'll face the remainder's judgement afterwards. We need to destroy the monsters now."

Calling in previously bar-tended favors to convince the mooks to attack the Wendigos and Portha.: (1d100ro4e100)+45+14! 91

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Noggins
Glory: 2->3

The queen was tough.

It wasn't like she'd thought this was going to be easy. She'd seen the Queen casually deflect a shot from Verika, after all, and with Nailbreaker in Ringo's hands, Noggins was effectively unarmed--there was only so hard she could hit with her claw hammer before she risked just snapping the thing in two. Not that it mattered that much, because the Queen was also fast as hell after the change. She'd just about managed to land a few glancing blows, but that was about the extent of it. She sidestepped a falling droplet of Crown--no telling what would happen if that touched her--and readied herself for another--

poo poo!

Noggins just barely managed to get her shield up in time to catch the barrage. She sincerely doubted she'd have managed it even as she had been that morning--that last ascension had clearly sharpened her reflexes along with everything else it had done to make her physically stronger. Even so, the sheer force made it feel like her arm was going to break, and she was physically blown backwards, feet skidding on olivite floors, desperately looking for purchase. She allowed herself only a moment to catch the breath that had been knocked out of her. She needed to get back in there now--if she wasn't taking the Queen's attention, it was going to fall on others who were less able to--

Hob posted:

"psst!" Noggins was thrown back from the queen, catchung herself, skidding to a halt less than a metre away from Hob, determination on her face.

"We've got a way in to the crown. Mindbend net. You were picked to be one of them." He pointed quickly with his thumb towards the queen, going toe to toe with Ringo, and waves at the helm held by Hat, making its way over- "You can spoof the crown, break the connection, seize control, attack her powers direct!" Serious face. Quick words. "It's not guaranteed to work, and it's dangerous, but I'll be there to help. If you don't feel it's right I've got a backup plan. But if we are gonna do it, it's now or never".

Noggins hesitatead a moment, then holstered her hammer and took the helm in her hands, staring at it. Dying in battle was one thing, but this... she looked back up, looking Hob directly in the Eye.

"Sure. Yeah, I'll do it. But Hob... if this goes wrong... if I end up as part of that thing... make sure I get a proper death, because it won't be me in there anymore. Alright? ONe eyepatch buddy to another."

She hesitated another moment before throwing her arms around Hob, bringing him in for a quick hug before letting go.

"Not gonna lie. This scares the poo poo out of me. Let's do it."

She shook her helmet off and slipped on the Mindbender Helm, involuntarily retching as the wave of sensation hit her. It was like she could see herself through Hob's perspective, see everything from multiple angles that overlapped each other but were still somehow clear. She could feel Humbug transmitting waves of instructions to anyone he could reach. And she could feel the Crown. She focused on it, pushing everything else from her mind. How that connection with the hacked relics worked, she didn't know or care. What mattered right now was getting access to this thing.

Somehow.

She really wished she'd paid more attention to Sucy's description of this stuff now. As it was, she went at it the only way she knew how. She concentrated harder, her thoughts focusing to a single point.

Alright you pile of OG scrap, there's a new Queen in town and she's done with this Öxshit. By royal decree sever all connection to the Queenmind, open access to the Mindbender Network, and if you've got any spare power left after that, I could really use the boost after that. But stay out of my mind, okay? That's mine.

Access Acquisition: 3d100+40+2 138

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 24, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
//
HP:1/3
Glory: 36
Bluffing +90 (cooldown)
Planning +10 (using)
Ritual Glory: 0
Infiltrator Captain
Ascended

Neebs had convinced a share of the Horde to be neutral, but now she was trying to turn hordeling against hordeling. This could not be borne, but fortunately, Splut had planned for something along this line, guided by Veilpiercer and his work trying to set up and support the entire Horde. He addressed each of them in turn,

"Winstön, do it for Julia. She'd want you home safe, and that means standing with the Horde that has stood by you.
Töbias, don't throw away the store and everything you've worked for. The Horde needs you.
Wölfram, you've always been about the fighting. Isn't the queen the biggest fight of all?
Cölin, remember our agreement.
Fiöna, remember Cölin's agreement.
Törville, you'll never get to return to Föstis while the Queen lives.
Böb, Monsterists are next if our own wendigoes are targets.
Ethelred, better to stay neutral than to take arms against the rest of the horde.
Röck, a peer is ordering you to attack your equals. An officer is asking you not to. You've often felt the pull of hierarchy strongest.
Ingrid, I know how much you hate being pushed around, and that you stayed neutral out of your own free will. All I ask is that you remain true to yourself and make your own call.
Gört, klaatu barada niktö.
Mörningtön, don't let yourself be shunted around like this. We need you more than ever.
Töny, I'll cover your bar tab. I'll cover everyone's bar tab. But Horde shall not kill Horde.
Zaius, you'll never become a doctor if you strive to hurt the patients.
Krush, the Cure works, I've seen it firsthand. We can't let it be weaponized, or denied to those who seek it. You heard the Queen.
Riddle, you can't take out your anger at your old family against your new family. The overly controlling authority figure over there, however...
Parsön, You're brilliant. We need that mind of yours alive afterwards. Keep yourself safe.
Alisön, it's time to claim the head beneath the crown.
Liönel, betraying your friends can only lead to tragedy, you know this.
Neebs, identify each constituent part of the crown and all their intended functions."

There was a poetry, a rhyme to his words. While he was at it,

"Gigs, Waesh, Hat, Humbug, keep doing what you're doing. Skett, trust Nana. Dixi, you know the rules governing the chain of command. you know what would happen if a Queen rebelled against them. Be still."

Planning to know what leverage to use on the 19 neutrals to prevent them becoming enemies and recruit as many as possible to the Horde cause: 3d100+46 220

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Name: Ringo!
HP: 4/4
Glory: 3>4
Skill: Lockpicking+15 (using), Whistling+40(cooldown), Surgery
Hotswap Skillcores: Accuracy, Pigilante Justice, Cross Stitching, Bee Keeping, Lifting +15, Firestarting+5, Kissing, Weaving +15, Avoiding Notice
Other: Rolls 10d100, may optionally reroll lowest. May either roll an additional 2d100, or grant a reroll to an Ally.
Medic Squad - Breaker's Eye

It was absurd. The queen thought Ringo was in charge of the horde? Why, because he was the tallest? What an utterly cracked point of view. It was so perfectly utilitarian, so blue-and-red, it could only have come from something like her.

Ruby was right there in the thick of things, speaking of Red. She was taking on one of the handmaidens practically by herself, and was already battered. Ringo dove in front for a moment and passed her a corona-fueled high-five. “Don’t give up. We’re getting out of here together.”

Just then, Ringo reared back as Mason clambered up. “What the hell are you doing!?” Then bursts of flame and shockwaves started blasting out from the duo. “Well...alright then.”

He cracked his two hammers together. “You know, ‘Queen,’ I learned how to pick locks on my own. Completely self taught.” He ducked a razor-chop. “Got stuck in a cellar one day running from some mobsters. They left me there to rot. All I had was a bit of wire, some nails, a handful of sawdust.” Dixi threw a chair at him, and it exploded inches from his face with one of Mason’s Hollers. “The wire was too flimsy. The sawdust was sawdust. All I had left was the nails. So I took one, it wouldn’t fit. I wiggles it, and it jammed. So I did what any desperate person would do at their wit’s end. I gave it a smack. And wouldn’t you know it, the nail popped in and the door popped open.”

He struck Nailbreaker on the floor once. Twice. It bloomed like a great and terrible flower. He could see why Noggins was so fond of it.

“You’re in my way. So it’s time to open you up.”

Fight the Queen (lockpicking): 12d100+3+5+15 613 12d100=72, 11, 74, 22, 86, 56, 82, 1, 54, 79, 12, 41]
Ritual Reroll 1 (+20): 1d100 55+20=75
Free reroll 11: 1d100 70
Total: 757
DOUBLES DETECTED. NAILBRINGER ACTIVATES

FINAL TOTAL: 1514

Attacking the main queen body
Also using Breaker’s Eye to heal Ruby for 1

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 22, 2018

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Name: Dack
Skills: A̵̕t̷͢͡͏̡h̷͟͡͏ļ̵̶̧̀ę̷̢͡t̨̧͘i̵̕҉̴͡c̢͘͜͠s͏̨́̕ (used last round), Ą̀͠c̵̢͡͠͏r̴̸̛͝͡o͘͢͜͡b͜à̵̡̕t̷̢̀͜i̸̸͞c͘͟s̀͜͟ (Using), Laughing +40
HP: 1
Glory: 10>11

poo poo, Dack wasn't expecting the Queen to be [i[faster[/i] than him! Thankfully Splut managed to steal the crown before the fighting started, but this was still a fight they could not allow to get dragged out. Ringo and Mason were teaming up (wait what), so Dack's current plan was to hope they knew what they were doing and support them however he could. Which in this case was hoping his Acrobatics core could let him dodge Dixi's attacks as he got close enough to try to grab on to her. No matter what weird attack combo they came up with, it wouldn't matter if Dixi just dodged it. This would have been a great time for Dack's armor to finish regrowing, especially since Neebs was aiming the mooks at Dack and the other Neötypes!

Latch On to Queen Dixi: 1d500+50+10 113
Just cannot catch a break from Orokos lately.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Name: Trinh
Skills: Taxidermy(+50, corrupted), Jumping(+50, cooldown), Engineering(+50, corrupted, using)
Glory: 26 -> 27

quote:

Foam caught Trinh’s swinging blade and held her back, laughing. “Look to your former friends, Wendigo. Neebs and her conscientious objectors. They alone are willing to talk this out. Did it really need to come to violence?” Foam struck her in the chest, sending her sprawling back, but she landed, spider-like, and scuttled into the fray.
*Cough* "When has it not been about violence?" Trinh looked to her back and briefly locked eyes with her. Neebs. A knife aimed at her back. Just what I deserve. Could she fight off traitorous Unexpectables? Her pounding heart and twitchy fingers said yes. But the answer was no. Not while also defending herself from the queen. drat it! She couldn't deal with the queen even when it was the only threat coming for her! The thing had swatted her away like an insect! Not again. Power. It always came down to power. She had tried her best and she had been found wanting.

Once again, her winning streak had come to an end.

Not again. Tears were streaming down her face. She pulled her hair aside with one hand, and with other reached for the emergency injector on the back of her neck.

It would go off if she was ever in danger of dying, and save her.

But why wait?

She took grip in order to crush the reservoir and squeeze it straight into her bloodstream. Why not take power here and now?

Because you are in a cramped room made of olivite.

&?#%!!!

Revealing alarming invention: 1d500+50+26 79
RITUAL REROLL: 1d500+50+26 415
Oooh, boy. I was honestly going to go full wendigo until I realized I'm in a small unbreakable box. Going through with this would probably end with Trinh squeezing out of Gado's hole like toothpaste. By the time I realized this the roll was already made, so, uh, sorry.

Not that the option is completely off the table?

To be clear I haven't used wendishock just yet....

Screw it! I'm doing it!

After a moment of deliberation, Trinh squeezed the injector. It should act fast. Madmist was the least of things she'd put into it. Over the past month she'd spent studying Monsterism, she had dreamed of a way to maintain some degree of lucidity through the process. After all Zapanda had claimed to have achieved something like that back in Nägel...

Trying to leverage the month spent studying Monsterism and a primary core focused on preserving things to maybe retain some agency, not that I'm expecting much more than forcing everybody out of the room.

Wendishock used.

The room won't hold me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=949eYdEz3Es

Jvie fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 22, 2018

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
COSMETIC ITEMS:
Name: Snorkus Peter Porker, Mild-Mannered Reporter
Skills: Pigilante Justice+30 (cooldown), Gazing+10, Rolling+30 (using)
Item Cooldowns: Utility "Belt"
Glory: 3 -> 4
Notes: Vile Mechanism Survivor, Mount Left At Home :(

An oinkpening! Once again, the Queen's overconfidence would be her undoing! Ducking and rolling, Snorkus leaped for the Crown where it waited, embedded in the ceiling...

Yanking it free with little care for where its molten droplets fell, the Pigilante moved faster than a greased pig to get the Crown into the hands of whoever seemed most interested in further messing with it!

Rolling Up To The Crown With My Piggies: 2d100+30+4+3 191

Podima fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 22, 2018

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Name: Verika (& Garnör)
HP: 1/1 (1/3)
Skills: Perception +65 (cooling), Smithing +80, Sniping +30 (using)
Equipment: Knight's Plate (+3), Zahn Trapper Hat (+1), Ruddy Charger, Blixthäst (+5), Tap Root [Proof-Scraper] (+5), Defender Shield
Cosmetics: Nail and Fist Token (Breaker's Guard), Agenou's Cape Sash, Sikatris Scarf, Basker Cloak, Slightly-Cracked Telescope
Glory: 22 -> 23
Ritual Chits: 11 -> 12 (artwork bonus)

Tömate (part 7): Verika had stood before her Queen and looked the regal figure directly in her imperious golden eyes, defiant. The entire time, Verika had gripped onto her artifact weapon, Tap Root. In a world full of uncertainties, it was the only thing that made sense to her, even if it did surprise her from time to time. Though she wasn't pointing the powerful firearm at anyone in particular, she had it ready to fire all the same, just in case the power-mad monarch tried something tricky. Without batting an eyelid, Verika had questioned her Queen on the nature of her plans, which had apparently spanned for several aeons before Verika had ever known existence.

Verika had gotten the demigod Queen's attention. She'd been given the floor. She was stark livid mad with the Queen for injuring Garnör, but she was still mostly composed in her questioning - mostly.

Queen Dixi posted:

Dixi. "That simply means it's outside the parameter of the system to answer - that's exactly what we want! A chance to guide our own destin-"

Verika scoffed. The Queen had never been thrown through the Player of Games' ringer - she'd never known what it was like to get Defragmented by the Vile Mechanism. The [Null] state the Queen desired meant an absence of all qualities: pure, raw nothingness. The freedom she wanted to guide her own destiny was nothing more than death with another name.

Handmaiden Sora posted:

"Insolent child, I've died more times than you can even imagi-"

Verika knew that the Queen would counter her question with the myriad lives she'd lived, and yet, all that supported was this undying entities' desire to reach an end state to their lives-long struggle.

Handmaiden Yino posted:

"I'm telling you, it's not going to be like tha-!"

The Queen knew nothing - she hadn't the oracular talent. She didn't know what was going to happen. She just wanted to experiment with reality at the cost of everyone else. Verika pressed on.

Handmaiden Foam posted:

"But it shouldn't HAVE to b-"

Verika couldn't take it any longer, couldn't wait to drop the next information bombshell in the Queen's lap: the Cure. She interrupted the Queen's answer, because otherwise the crafty monarch would start talking in circles.

Handmaiden Sora posted:

"Just because that's the method by which you found a temporary and small-scale solution to a major problem doesn't mean that-"

To Verika's ears, this was Purestrain pöppycöck. This knowledge of the Cure's origins surely should have been a critical moment of revelation for the Queen. Verika knew that the Queen was in the wrong now, without a doubt. Wrong and crazy and powerful.

Queen Dixi posted:

"Because I've tried everything else. Enough! You try the patience of an immortal, and while I am more than pleased to sit here all day and bandy questions around with you, your friend there is bleeding out."

Verika blanched at the Queen's reprimand, because she knew the Queen was right. Garnör was still injured! Red rose to Verika's cheeks as she left the Queen's sweet-smelling presence to attend to her wounded friend. It wasn't until slightly later that Verika realized that the Queen had pulled off a powerful Crown-powered mind trick on her to defuse her anger into concern for Garnör's well-being. What a master manipulator!

Verika spoke softly to Garnör in soothing tones, her eyes scanning the room.

"Garnör, I'm going to need you to help the Siege Team Six with their fortifications. You can still stand and help with one arm, can't you?"

"I- I think I can manage!" Garnör replied, straining from his own enthusiasm. Verika helped by pulling him onto his feet.

"Great! That's a good Töman." Verika warmly added, clapping him on the good part of his back.

She left Garnör with the medics and the siegers at the Unexpectables' furniture fort with a kiss on the cheek for good luck.

"Stay safe," she'd said.

Garnör constructs armored defenses with the Siege team!: 1d100+20 51

---

It all started happening in the blink of an eye.

Splut had done the unthinkable and Sucy had done the unknowable and by the time the Queen was able to get it back the Crown she'd cherished had become destabilized. Better yet, the Queen had proven themselves to be the true enemy of peace and understanding among Tö and Frö kinds.

"To arms, Unexpectables! This monstrous monarch needs to be put down, posthaste!"

Verika raised her artifact weapon Tap Root and fired at the Queen whenever she could get a clean shot. The Queen's movements - Verika had noticed - weren't nearly as fast as they'd been before, back when she'd caught the [proof scraper] seed with her bare hand. Furthermore, the Queen was distracted by being in the thick of the melee!

"When Regicide's the name of the game, you strike for the head," Verika muttered to herself as she looked down the Tap Root's sights, lining up another shot, "and to kill a malignant growth like that, you've got to tap it at its root. With [proof-scraper] as my guide, I will strike thee down-"

Verika versus the Queen: Sniping that Sneaky Freak in the Face!: 2d100+67 170 - Tap Root used! Queen rolls -2d100 !

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 3, 2018

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

:;
Name: Hat
Skills: Millinery (+25), Backflips (+35)
Squad: Infiltrator (Shares items with other squadmembers, gets double bonuses from consumables used outside combat)
Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Defender Shield, Lucky Pearl; Torn Scarf, ThumbsCrew Mug
Glory: 36 -> 37

AJ_Impy posted:

"For the sake of the world, for the sake of Tö, for the sake of the Unexpectable Horde and every individual within it, with the power invested in me as Captain, Your Majesty, I hereby formally induct you into the Infiltrator Squad of the Unexpectable Horde, party to all that governs us."

Hat spat out a mouthful of wine she'd found in an unattended bottle and approached the monarchs. "Yeah, sure, your majesties, lemme know what kind of ha-"

WHUMP.

Hat spat out a mouthful of blood onto the palace floor. Foolish. Got too close, felt the full strength of their ruler, taken by suprise. More fighting. Ah well. This, too, had been planned for, a week ago. The devestating injury caused by the shapeshifting Queens, less so. Hat reached into her hat, feeling for the space beyond. That Infiltrator magic. She carefully extracted the shield and, putting it on her left arm, carefully stood up.

Scribbleykins posted:

"Hat! Bring Portha's Helm to the Knight-Carpentainer! We need a combat stitch-'n-sting job - hum - stat!"

As his eye met Hat's, his grim, angry expression turned strangely satisfied. Something of the unflappable expression he'd held when they'd first come face to face with the Queens returned.

"Speaking of sting operations, you DID stuff the Mindnet components into as many of the hats sold from your shop as you could, hm?"

"S͟EÈ ͜I̴F ͜Y͘OU ͢CA͟N ͏FIX ͞TH̷E C͘RÓW͜N͝.͝ USE M̷Y ͞HELME͏T. ̀WE ̕C͜AN ͝SH̸U͢T̷ ̀H̀ÈR̶ DO͠WN͠ IF ẀE DO͡ ͟I̶T RI̶GH͠T.̶"

Of course! The Crown was insane OG tech, and a hat! There must be something she could do to it. Hat grabbed the helmet in her left hand, gave Humbug a thumbs-up with her right. The battle raged around her as she scanned the room for what she needed. There, up on the ceiling. Hat tensed her legs, ready to backflip up there-

Podima posted:

Yanking it free with little care for where its molten droplets fell, the Pigilante moved faster than a greased pig to get the Crown into the hands of whoever seemed most interested in further messing with it!

"Yes! Thank you, Snorkus!, Now everyone, cover me!" Hat dived behind an overturned table, spread her components out in front of her. Closed her eyes, focused on her skillcore. Disrupt some of the OG tech currently in the crown, let the Mindbender network overpower the rest. She reached into her dress's pocket and pulled out the Lucky Pearl. How long had she had this? Well, if ever there was a time for some much-needed luck, it was now. She crushed the pearl in her hands, and worked it into the Crown's circuits.

Using Millinery and Lucky Pearl to Meddle With The Crown!!!: 4d100k2+37+25+10 154 Nat 2, rerolling...
Ritual reroll of that 2: 1d100+10 11 Nat 1! Rerolling...
Ritual reroll of that 1!: 1d100+20 87 For a final total of 239.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Skills:Spreading Disease (+40)[CD], Cursing(+15), Patience(+30)[CD]
Glory: 20

poo poo, poo poo, poo poo! Grumbus ducked behind ST6's makeshift fortifications, narrowly avoiding an expertly thrown spear (and the body of its former owner) aimed at his head. He eagerly finished off the bottle the Siege Team was passing around and chucked the empty in the Queen's direction. Not that he expected it to hit. Not a single one of his grenades hit, after all. The Queen dodged, parried, or redirected each one, though Grumbus noted with some satisfaction that one managed to completely ruin a tacky painting.

As he took a drag from his smoke, Grumbus removed a vial of effluvia from under his hand and smeared it along the edge of Trial and Terror. Bile rose in his throat as he saw Sora across the room fighting off a wave of attackers with some kind of mop/flail combo. Grumbus worked himself into a drunken rage and charged, shouting curses the whole way.

"TURN MY BONES INTO A BROOM WILL YA? THERE AREN'T ENOUGH CLEANING SKILLCORES IN THE WORLD TO CLEAN WHAT I'M GONNA loving DO TO YOU WANKER!"

Cuss at Sora: 1d100+15+20+4+10 105

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Sucy
Glory: 1 -> 2
Skills: Mushrooms +40
Kicking +50
Science +60
Aspiring Nailsmith: Every Downtime, Sucy can roll 1d10 and spend the result in any combination to reduce the cost of the Ritual(s) of her choice.
Breaker’s Hands: Once per conflict, each individual Sieger can make an additional roll towards building fortifications or other sieging gear tailored towards the conflict. Additionally, double the bonus on consumables used for violent combat use.

Sucy watched with interest as the different components of the "Crown" started to unravel. Several of the other horde members were already working at integrating them into the mindbender network and empowering Noggins to take on the Queen, but if the components were arranged just so, then the mental load would be distributed more evenly and if this was arranged like that...
Several subjective "minutes" later Sucy looked at the new connections that she had created and they reminded her of a network of roots, all converging towards the focal point of Noggins. Technology did always imitate life after all.
Integrate the Crown and the Mindbender Helmets into the Mycelium Network: 2d100+40+1 111

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Name: Gryph
Glory: 33 => 34
Skill: Medicine (30), Wrestling (35)

No more words. The Unexpectables, as always, fighting in ways the enemy couldn't forsee, with weapons that had never been considered. But they needed time, and bodies. Gryph's Breaker's Eye blazed with pink fire as he stepped forward with Ringo.

This was going to hurt.

Assaulting a Queen: 2d100+30+34 92

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 30, 2018

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The Queen paused to wipe blood off her improvised weapon, standing atop a great bronze bedpost like a dancer. “So the rumours of your prowess weren’t exaggerated, then? You managed to hold up very well indeed. So far, at least! I am a patient Queen - let’s see how you hold to your convictions when a few more of you lie scattered in pieces in my chambers!” Was there a hint of a quaver in her voice? The Unexpectables hadn’t crumbled before her assault, vicious as it was. They were used to fighting those bigger, stronger and more dominant, and at this point her rhetoric was getting a little stale. Dixi noticed their determined faces, scowled, then came at them again!

---
Gado and his cadre were hard at work on the wall while the others kept their attackers busy. Maybe the Queen thought they were harmless, driven wild by terror, animals scrabbling for escape; maybe she simply thought there wasn’t a chance in hell they’d make it through in time. He didn’t worry himself about what the Queen thought, didn’t worry about the blood and violence surrounding him. He just hit the wall, watched it shiver, then hit it again at precisely the right time to induce harmonic fracturing. At some point someone gave him some explosives and he placed, detonated, and cleared them with an expert’s touch. The blast did little to pierce the tough material, but it provided the kinetic oomph his arms couldn’t to clear all the waste away. Even Tö-Pain, the Poet’s strange boyfriend(?), helped him haul away rocks, though he kept well clear of the swings. Soon he could reach an arm outside, then peek his head out.

Conditions were pretty bleak. The Madmist - or whatever it had been - was settling down, but little patches here and there were blooming with tiny wriggling strands of Monsterism. So maybe there was some Madmist mixed in for authenticity? They’d only had a month to scrounge this stuff together, so even that was surprising. He held his breath just in case. Otherwise, the room was a bloody mess, bits of Inhabited and nobles and palace guards all jumbled together with gusting drifts of snow and shattered glass. He could hear fighting, but couldn’t see much from this vantage. A pair of Inhabited loped around the corner and peered at him and he drew back, but they froze when they saw him and just watched. Only then did he come out of his mining daze enough to notice the neon blue lines encircling him. Not cutting into him, not holding him back, just touching him. A message pulsed into his mind.
<A novel approach. If it were anyone else I’d have said it was impossible.

I’m coming as soon as I can>

Gado kept digging.

---
Verika had been watching the Queen. Dixi, that is. All of them were the Queen, she guessed, but it was difficult to think of them like that. It was also difficult to think of them like different entities; more than once, Dixi reacted to something only Foam could have seen, Sora deflected a projectile heading towards Dixi to her own harm, and they seemingly even saw through Yino’s dead, staring eyes. She could see latter right now, a deep, alien intelligence glittering behind her glassy eyes. She moved the Tap Root in a sweeping arc, aiming at Foam’s head - and the instant Dixi moved to intercept the shot with a thrown plate she retargetted and fired at her heart.
    Verika = 177 vs. Dixi = ???
She didn’t pause to see whether she’d hit. It didn’t matter, since that alone wouldn’t have killed her, even if it had somehow struck her in the heart. Did she even have a heart in that body, or was magic and foul technology keeping her going? The scream of annoyance she heard would have to suffice for now.

(Tap Root, hit or miss, knocks 2d100 off the opponent’s roll! Even a glancing blow here is enough, and Verika is a hell of a shot!)

---
Splut and Neebs faced off. It was a miserable thing, infighting, but they’d been lucky enough to avoid it thus far by virtue of having Grimper to act as a whipping boy. Without him, the tension was starting to boil over. Neebs was angry now, betrayed and upset by former friends who sought to unravel the world and invalidate thousands or millions of sacrifices needed to get to this point. In her eyes, the Horde had jumped the rails into madness. Splut, on the other hand, was uncertain about Neebs’ true motives and feelings, but couldn’t bear to let the Horde turn against itself. Whether the Queen was right or not, the Horde had made its choice, and in his eyes honouring that choice superseded all other concerns.

Splut had a firm hold on the minds of the Unexpectables, having worked to secure them all a place in Tömate society, but Neebs had a grip on their hearts - the Lampshade had become their place, somewhere any of them could drop in and call home. She was the trusty bartender; she’d heard their concerns, their hopes and fears, things none of them would ever have revealed to Splut. Neebs could be trusted; Splut was a liar. He was their liar, but they knew his nature. They warred against eachother in the field of popular opinion.
    Neebs = 91 vs. Splut = 220
    7 Mooks side with Neebs!
    12 Mooks side with Splut!
When the arguments settled, Splut looked to have won… but arguing wasn’t like war - there weren’t winners and losers. Or perhaps arguing was exactly like war: people got hurt on both sides, and in the end no one can agree whether it was worth it. The Horde fractured, some on Neebs’ side and some on Splut’s… and then they fought.
    Neebs’ Gang = 349 vs. Splut’s Gang = 648
The Horde devoured itself, turning friend against friend due to the commands of an ancient demigod. Nana and Cause grappled, though the former couldn’t bring herself to really hurt the converted man. He cracked her in the face with an elbow, bloodying her nose, then looked a little ill. This wasn’t good for anyone. Neither Splut nor Neebs felt great about it, but the victors took the others down as quickly and thoroughly as they could before moving on to help the others. Splut did not feel like he’d won, and cursed himself and Neebs for allowing it to get this far.

(Nana takes 1 Damage! Neeb’s Gang takes 1 Damage each, with the lowest roller taking 2, while Splut’s Gang is unscathed save for the lowest roller who takes 1. The excess roll (648-349) is added to the other fights going on!)

---
Snödis let her symbiote drag her forwards, furled limbs stretching out to pull her towards the delectable pile of carrion ahead of it. The Poet scuttled on all fours, forced to her knees by the pull, but she went along with it. Surely there was power to be found in the corpse of a demigod’s attendant! She would consume it, and then with its power she would destroy the Queen that threatened her new home. She had scarcely gripped a stiff arm when a shriek cut through the melee. “Sacrilege! Unhand that body, monster!” Sora had noticed her and wasn’t pleased, but like a greedy child Snödis just ate faster. She felt her bonded chelicerae crunch through a layer of tough skin, passing through muscle sweet and fragrant as honey…

A paving stone broke her neck and killed her. Her symbiote kept eating greedily, tearing through the rest of the limb and part of the rib cage before another stone came its way. It flapped its wings, dripping gore, and dragged Snödis’ body along. Seconds later, wire re-knit her twisted neck and the blazing light in her eyes and Brand reignited. Poetry could not be killed, for rhyme and meter could be found in all things! She cackled to herself, then frowned as her wings withered and withdrew. Ah, yes, the metachrysalid phase. The timing was… inopportune. And yet, she felt power burgeoning within her, spreading slowly through her veins like a velvet poison. Would she claim it fast enough?

(Snödis takes 1 Damage and dies takes another -3 to her rolls from the Somawire’s repairs! Nietchztö consumes Yino’s body and goes into a chrysalis! Until it hatches, Snödis loses access to the Lepidopteran Horror!)

---
Noggins was weary, but her fought to keep her motions sharp and focused. The Queen was playing with her, several times breaking through her guard to brush fingertips lightly against bare skin. Each time, her eyes bored into her. You’re dead, as a nail scored her throat before withdrawing. You’re dead, as a stiffened finger punctured the plate of her Jaune-forged armour but did not penetrate the flesh below. You’re dead, as the tip of her rod drew a slick of blood down her forehead. It was frustrating and unpleasant, but it kept the others free to fight. Ringo had her hammer, leaving her to fight with backup equipment. She chanced a glance at the Dekatö, hoping he was keeping up with the fight.

That… huh. She blinked in surprise as a blast of Corona-lit shockwaves sent Sora tumbling, burning and deafened. She knew better than to question the tactics of her allies, but sometimes… Hob tapped her shoulder when the Queen was distracted, relaying their plan. The Crown… her place among the Handmaidens… had Sikatris not disrupted this evening, would she have taken the offer? Hard to imagine a bigger position of honour for someone of simple means as her. Hard to imagine a bigger mistake. To be lost, drowned in that sea of ego under the uncaring pressure of a thousand years of memory. But Sucy had broken the crown, enacted her own brand of witchery to once again disrupt the plans of their foes. Dare she try it? Dare she match wits against someone like the Queen?

She took the Mindbender helm from Hob, nodded a quick thanks, and slipped it on.

She felt the others, could see them, seeing her, feel them depending on her, and then she saw the fragments of the crown. She reached for them.

The world went gold and black.

(Noggins loses 1 HP as intein͟t́et̡̨e͏̴ǵ͢r͏̵ar̢͡҉á̛̕͜ţ̕͠҉̧í͢g̬̪r̶̯̖̭̳̥͍̙̫͈̀͝a̺͇̤͕̕͠ț̡͇͈̺i̛͕͕̯̙̫̞̦͜o͇̘̺͍̹̦͉̪͝͠n͕̺̪̰̮͚͉͠ contin͞ųe̷͞s̨͞. She begins to f̨̕͜͝é̛͘f̢͢è̛̕f̵̀e̷̢͜e̸͢e͏̸̸͞͝l̛̀͘ ̴͘̕͝c̴̴̸̶͠ć̨o̵̡c̛͟o̧̕)

---
Trinh could see how dire the moment was. She knew that it was time to pull out all the stops. She knew that she had the means to cause a distraction that might save the others. She knew that her action could well doom them all. She knew she should. She knew she shouldn’t.

Ultimately, she did it because she felt like it. Can’t make an OMELET̷̶T̴̷E̶̡ ̛͘͟W҉I͢T̸͜H̡̨́O̷̕͢͜͡U̷̸T̡̀ ̵͜B̴̧̨̛͝Ŕ̴̡͢͠E͘͘͠҉Ă͌ͩ͌͂ͣ̄̀̚͡K̨̉͑ͩͯ̋ͯ͠Į̄̉͒ͮ͆N̝͙̠̕G̖͉̲ͅ ͍̦̤͎͈̣̼̭A̴̫̤̗̟̼̹͟ ͕͔̩̟̕ͅF̸͖̬̫̬̙̝͓̀ͅE͈̬̙̪͞W L̮̭͔͈̝̖̝̤̀̕͠E̵̸̛͏̤̩̹̻̠̠͖̩̀G̶̶̢̦̱̺̱͇̬̬̼̻̗̦̩͚͜͡Ș̴̡͎̗̺̲̯̹̺̲͙͖̬̠͖̟͇̬̟́͝ͅ!̸̵̵̟͓̤͓̻͚̭̮̯̼̖͈͔̬̳ͅ!̛̜̞͙̘̮̺͔̭̙̲͚̠̥̞̺̻͟͞!̷̧̬̤̗̙̰̠̮͙̜̤̲͚͎̱͟͟͞

The overclocked Shockgasp flooded her body with chemicals and burst her flesh like overcooked sausage. Exposed muscle grew flesh, tore open again, and burst with eyes and teeth and hair. Already tall, her long neck and longer torso extended crazily until she had the proportions of some insane lizard - and still she grew. Unexpectables and Handmaidens alike were shocked and horrified, and Snödis alone laughed and whooped in pride and excitement. And Trinh… Trinh could see them all. Beautiful, glistening suits of muscle wrapped like finest origami around tough (but brittle) skeletons, all covered in a thin rind of flesh. So much nicer to reveal it all to the world, to expose the beauty to the air! Why, what painter would leave their paint in the tubes they bought them? What sculptor would leave the clay to dry and crack and grow useless? All these raw materials were enough to make her want to… she shivered, an ecstatic ripple passing down her coils and causing razor fine hairs to shiver in the wind passing through the hole in the wall.

Oh! A hole! Perfect! She slithered towards it, carelessly tossing bodies aside. As perfect as the flesh in this tiny box was for her purposes, it was so very tiny! Hardly enough material for someone like her! She was an ARTIST, DAMNIT! She picked up the tiny being hammering at the wall and flicked at his masked cheek with a claw, parting the flesh like gelatin. He cried out, but then Gado always was a whi… Gado. Trinh! Her Brand pulsed and she dropped him, coiling into a confused knot. Not yet. She couldn’t leave, she had a job to do! She sighted in on Grumbus, currently fighting a losing battle against Handmaiden Sora, who seemed to have thrown what smelled like a vial of lye all over him. She was surrounded, but she looked utterly unconcerned. Rude. RUDE! SHE’D MAKE A FINE COAT!
    Unexpectables = 662 vs. Sora = 546

She drew one long nail down the Handmaiden’s back, exerting enough pressure to part the skin but not the muscle below. She screamed, but Trinh poked her in the shoulder and pinned her to the tiles. Grumbus wasted no time in dumping all the various vials he had secreted on his person all over the prone figure, then gave the Wendigo a questioning thumbs up.

Trinh watched his muscles flex beneath his skin, entranced by the workings of his tendons as he held his thumb aloft. What did the gesture mean, exactly?

(Sora is slain. Her strength returns to the fold. Trinh becomes a Wendigo. A real one! All her equipment fuse into her body. Trinh is in control… for now. Your attack roll becomes 4d1000-1d100+Glory. However, from now on, roll 1d4 before attacking. On a 2 or 3, reroll immediately. On a 4, your attack proceeds as desired. On a 1, your attack targets your allies.)

---
Starn crouched down behind his fort as the new Wendigo in their midst broke another section with a blind lash of her tail. Well, that was a bad section anyway! He’d rebuild it bigger! He handed Garnör a broken piece of chair and ordered him to shore up the broken spot. He saluted fervently and ran off. Ah, Verika, you picked him well. Dumb as a post, but he listened to orders. He ducked casually as one of the Handmaidens threw something at him. Oh, nevermind, it was one of their heads, partially stripped of flesh. He briefly considered whether he could use it to brace a section, then discarded it. If it was all that tough, it would have stayed on its neck where it belonged. He kicked it away, sighed, and considered his meagre fortifications. There simply wasn’t a lot to work with in here, and everyone else was busy fighting for their lives or something. He settled into a plush throne he’d built himself, impervious from harm and nicely padded. How much longer was this going to go on? He had classes to plan.

(This fort is less good than the last! It will prevent 1 Damage!)

---
Hat and Sucy weren’t totally sure what was going on with Noggins, but it was sure as gently caress something. They’d pulled her out of the fray and behind the barricade (Starn regarded them with half as much interest as the bent piece of metal he was fitting into place) and examined her. Her face was taut and straining, and blood trickled from her mouth. Hat touched the helmet and drew back - it was hot! But it wasn’t… giving off heat, exactly. Pressure was building. The shape was wrong. Guided by instinct, she borrowed a metal fragment from the barricade (Starn’s eyes widened in anger, but Sucy stared him down) and shoved it into a gap in the helmet. With a few precise taps, she snapped off a segment of it along a fault line she’d sensed was there, and Noggins’ face grew calmer.

Hat made a few more adjustments as Sucy watched, then - when she judged the surviving Hand instances of the Queen were distracted - she dropped into the dark world. Noggins was clearly visible here, blazing like a Warlord - or the Queen. But it wasn’t right, the connections were off. Quickly, stealthily, she patched the errors, Script streaming out of her like roots. Yes, a network of mycellium binding it all together with the Mindbreaker network and with Noggins. Something like an hourglass rose into view. It counted down infinitely slowly, though she knew instinctively it was only a matter of seconds in the ‘real’ world. Couldn’t rush something like this. She felt a hungry attention once again, and hurriedly slammed the ring off her finger. Noggins was vibrating slightly, the heat from the Crown now emanating from her. Gooood?

(????????)

---
Humbug felt the change in the network. Where before things had been dark and half-gloomy in the strange shared sight, there was now a sun. Two suns. Noggins was a tangible pressure, a light that he could orient towards no matter his position, but so was Dixi. Something had been done to the Crown and the Queen knew it. Dixi and Foam shrieked in blind rage and flew towards Noggins’ prone form, and Humbug did the only thing he could. He talked. See, he’d felt something else, blowing in from the hole in the wall that Gado had drilled. Questions. Emotions. The Mindbender Network. Whatever had been jamming it had fallen away when the wall was pierced, and he’d been maneuvering himself as he fought to get the best signal. When the Queen moved to kill her rival, he spoke.

He blasted out flashes of fighting, of memories of the Queen’s story (the useful parts, at any rate), the admissions she’d made and the lies and years of death and misery she’d caused. He revealed the truth to the world, to people he trusted to spread it. No matter WHAT she did, the Queen had lost! They froze, tears of rage stinging their faces as naked hatred suffused their eyes. “What!” “Have!” “You!” “DONE!?” Foam was on him in a flash, tearing off his prosthetics and leaving him to drop to the floor. Ignoring the pain, he grinned, still broadcasting. “THIS WAS THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE THE TÖ! THEY NEEDED TO BE IGNORANT! THEY NEEDED TO - STOP BROADCASTING!” She slammed her foot back, ready to drive a vicious kick into his skull.

There was a flash of light.

Many things happened at once.

(Humbug loses his prosthetic arm and legs, his HP buffer and takes -25 to next roll!)

---
First, a flurry of vibrant blue tendrils slammed through the open hole in a braided tentacle that slapped itself against the far wall and spread out, vine-like, forcing themselves under the facade to the Olivite below. They plunged deeper and deeper, shearing off large chunks of the wall as they sought for… they retracted all at once - save for one - then slashed away at a decorative pillar that concealed a lock. Sucy tossed her key into the air and the whirling tendrils caught it, slammed it into place, and twisted it.

Next, the door slammed open, flooding the room with cold air and snow and the shattered remnants of dozens of Inhabited. The Queen screamed in frustration as an errant body knocked her away, leaving her unharmed but disoriented.

Next, Sikatris flew into the room, stump arm lashing with hundreds of severed threads, bleeding from dozens of wounds that she’d held together with yet more of the thin tendrils. She crashed into what remained of the Queen’s bed and scrambled for her feet…

As Grimper walked in. He was drenched in blood and the top of his head was cracked and broken from overexertion of his Corona, but he was there. He opened his mouth to say something, almost certainly some variation of “WHAT THE gently caress” when Noggins stood up.

The Queen (the other Queen) stared at her in an outrageous combination of rage, confusion and disgust, and threw herself at her, her body distorting to propel her even faster. Ringo roared and flared with light, the borrowed Nailbreaker blooming into a blazing tree of violence. The others threw themselves into the fight!
    Unexpectables = 4854 vs. Queen Dixi = 3476 + Handmaiden Foam = 971
(Do yourself a favour and look at the rolls)
Before Grimper’s confused eyes, Ringo swung Nailbreaker through Foam, parting her like a mist, before following through to hit the Queen. The suprised monarch could do nothing more than place a hand between her and the OG Artifact before it struck, bouncing her off the ceiling to lie in a broken heap on the ground. Her body was shattered, but it was already repairing itself, leaking sparks of golden light. Noggins drove a nail - a regular, carpenter’s nail - through her hand and into the Olivite below, pinning her in place. She gasped, then screamed, and Grimper came forward.

“My Queen! You TRAITORS! YOU’RE COLLUDING WITH HER!” His Corona blazed brighter, then began to sparkle with golden flecks of flame. Sucy caught a glimpse of something, half seen, a flood of Script passing between the corpses of the Handmaidens and their former Warlord. “G-Grimper! Warlord, favored son of Tö, come to my aid! Your traitorous subordinates caused all this, ruined the evening and nearly decaptitated our fair land - until you came, my shining knight! Save me! Save us all! Save Tö!

(So! Couple different things to consider! Noggins is currently the Queen! Kinda! She’s sharing her power, and shares her roll. She rolls 1d100+10d1000+Glory. If she rolls lower than the Queen, however, she’ll take 1 Damage and be pulled closer to their gestalt mind. Grimper is empowered with the Handmaiden’s energy, adding an additional 16d100 to his roll. He is ALSO bound to you, continuing to draw strength from your combined Glory.)
  • Now What!?
    You can do it!

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Name: Dack
Skills: A̵̕t̷͢͡͏̡h̷͟͡͏ļ̵̶̧̀ę̷̢͡t̨̧͘i̵̕҉̴͡c̢͘͜͠s͏̨́̕ (Using), Ą̀͠c̵̢͡͠͏r̴̸̛͝͡o͘͢͜͡b͜à̵̡̕t̷̢̀͜i̸̸͞c͘͟s̀͜͟ (used last round), Laughing +40
HP: 1
Glory: 11>0 (giving Glory to Humbug)>1

That...went much better than expected. Suddenly Dixi was on the back foot and Noggins had tapped into her powers. The fight wasn't over yet, especially as Sikatris and Grimper made their entrance. Sikatris could probably be convinced to kill Queen Dixi, since that was probably what she came here for, but Grimper was an idiot. An idiot who viewed the Unexpectables as just a tool to gain Glory with, even though they had dragged his rear end through the war. Hell, he had a better track record at killing his own horde than he did at fighting enemy commanders. Actually, that reminded Dack that Humbug almost had his head smashed in, and he should go over to check up on him.

Humbug wasn't looking too good. Well, he was clearly happy about getting the truth out, but it had cost him his prosthetics. He didn't seem hurt too bad, but there was no way he'd be able to fight like this. Quickly scratching out a message on the back of one of his tablets, Dack held it up to Humbug:

"Stay down and don't attract Grimper's attention. I'm going to take back my fragment for now. Also, here's some Glory to help you feel better."

After handing over the last of his Glory, Dack gently tugs on the Muscle fragment, causing it to detach instantly before scurrying over his body and re-attaching. It felt good to be whole again, but right now he needed to make use of every second of calm they had before the fighting started again. Which meant taking every moment to flex as hard as he ever had. Snödis had gained power through the wire and her symbiote. Trinh had sacrificed everything for more power, letting go of her restraint and becoming a full-fledged Wendigo. Dack also needed power, but still believed there was a way to do so without losing control, instead focusing on reshaping his own body. It probably wouldn't be as drastic a change as Snödis and Trinh had, but every bit would be needed soon.

Flex and Pose to Power Up: 1d500+1d100+50 539

It really felt good to be whole again.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Gado!!!
Skill: Digging (+75, Used), Tunneling (+10 Cooldown)
HP: 2/2
Glory: 43->44
Breaker's Hand Action: Once per combat can make an additional roll to build fortifications or create siege gear.
Breaker's Hand Bonus: Double the bonus on consumables used for violent combat.

Welp! This was it. Gado had managed to survive so many things, but now he was about to have his face torn off by what he could only assume was Trinh. He hadn't even had the time to get in a good preparatory scream before she'd hauled him into the air, tore a gouge into his face and then casually flung him back to the ground.

It was tempting to just lay there and collect himself as his life flashed before his eyes, but things were going even further to poo poo outside of his tunnel. The burn of inoculation fighting off wendigo germs was making him uncomfortable anyway.

Grimper and Sikatris had arrived, everyone was going bonkers in every direction and most importantly there was a way out available now. Gado was done. Avoiding the tempting opening of the door, Gado put his back into finishing off his tunnel. With a big enough hole to slip through almost complete, it was time for him to head on down to the coat check, grab his warcoat and then head off to collect Momma Gabo so he could take her far the hell away from this insane country.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Name: Neebs
Skill(s): Bartending (+45) (on cooldown)
Surgery (+15)
Mentalism (+10) (using)
HP: 2/3
Medics: Breaker’s Eye - Upon a failed healing attempt, heal 1 HP for every 100 in the failed roll, rounding up. Additionally, once per combat a Medic may heal an ally that has rolled lower than them 1 HP.
Drunk Oracle - During Downtime, Neebs may make a DrinkingBartending roll (involving Neebs drinking) and answer one question posed by others (her choice). DK answers truthfully and potentially usefully.
Humbug: Blackened Eye Savant - Humbug may question Neebs as a separate action during downtime with another roll from her (doesn't need to be Drinking) about the Blackened Eyes.
Glory: 14 + 1 posting glory -> 15

The tussle with Splut and the grouped mooks was over as quickly as it had started. Everyone was fighting half-heartedly; it was more of a wrestling match, than a true melee. Of course Splut was the better orator; able to wrest the majority of the mooks back onto the side of the horde as whole; it was a miracle Neebs had convinced anyone to join her, honestly.

But, other things were happening in the room, which Neebs definitely noticed.

Trinh hulked out, confirming Neeb's fears. The Queen was immobilized. Gado had bust a hole through the wall; and now Grimper and Sikatris were here.

It didn't look like Grimper was going to make distinctions on who had sided with the queen and who hadn't...

"Ok, Splut. We give up. We'll all be killed by Grimper if we don't stop this futzing about. You are right, and I am wrong. I should have sided with the horde...but...it just seems such a waste. Will you let me and the beaten mooks try to convert the Queen with "Bound to Us, All of Us" into a true Unexpectable; and in exchange the horde doesn't have to kill her?"

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Snödis | Tö-Päin

Skillcores: D͜i͢s̷͢a̢ppŗo̸͘͏v̢̛í̢n̸͡g͞ ̷͜͏P͢͜o̢et̴̢̀r̡y̕ ̧͢+̴5̸͟͝0҉͟ , Fashion +40, Secretly Murdering Innocents + 15
HP: 1/1 (3 wire)
Glory: 1->2
Ignomity: -21
Ritual Glory: ??
Nationality: Neötöpian

--

Tö-Päin did not hesitate; as soon as the breach was made he was out of the Queens Saferoom and into the streets faster than a mild-mannered reporter could have changed costumes into a ferocious Pigilante, running without looking back towords the parking place of Yacht-Sottoth. Neötöpia was in danger, and so was his girlfriend? And her friend Trinh was, well, they all needed every last bit of help they could get. He would get it for them.

Uncored Böterfly Piloting to Save the Day: 1d500 = 296

--

Snödis died again, but she didn't mind. Dying was for mortals, anyway, and with her Brand and her Cocoon and her Wire and more importantly, her Cause, she was beyond death.
What she did mind, however, was Trinh. The girl had cast herself into Wendingoism in quiet possibly the worst possible circumstances, in a cramped room full of noise and chaos and blood and fighting and betrayals and uncertain alliances, with madmist right outside the thin, broken Olivite walls. Snödis felt no small amount of pride, in having such a devoted comräde for the Revölution, but knew full well how vulnerable the mind of a newborn Wendingo was, having personally seen to the birth of nearly every Wendingo-Citizen in her nation. Snödis's now unbroken and well-stitched form crawled over to Trinh as the Wendingo nearly tore Gado apart, and began to sing.

Welcome Trinhdingo, to the new Wörld
Where Monsters are Good and their Claws they keep Curled.
For though there is battle and hardship and woe,
most here are friends and their torsöes won't hold,
If you freak out and eviscerate them,
so please now Trindingo, your bloodlust now stem!

Disapproving Poetry to Calm Trinh into Remaining in Control: 1d500+50+1-18 = 92

Soon now you see, the War will be past,
and with our Friendingoes, our Nation will Last,
from these uncertain and desperate times,
into the Future where the Monster-bell chimes!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

At home:

Skills: Rummaging (20) (cooldown), Cleaning (20) (in use), Mentalism (30)
Glory: 15

What was Noggins doing (S͞Ţ͡͝EA̴̵L̕͏ĮN̸G̕ ̴́͟H͏҉EŖ͟͠ ̛H̡EL̢M̷Ę̕T̛̛), there was no way she had the mental fortitude to overcome the queen alone. Portha picked up a handmaid's circlet and put it on the taxidermite, hoping to (S҉E͏I̸ZE C҉ON̴T͡R͝OL) help Noggins resist the dominance of the old queen's untold ages of practiced control. (Ǹ̷I̷G̨͜͏H̵̡T̢ḾA̶̡R̀ȨS͘!̨͞ NI̕͜G͜H҉͘T̡͘M̧A̴̸҉RE̛S!̷̧ ̨̛́NI͏̷G̷H͘T͜M̷̡A҉̶R҉͡E͡͞S̸͜!͢)

Assist (HUNGER) -> Dump mental garbage into the queen's network: 3d100+35 290

Portha bowed to the new handmaid as it thrashed around on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Noggins
HP: 2/3
Glory: 3->4

It was all so simple.

She had known that the Queen's perspective on the world was different. It had to be, for her to make the decisions she had made, to accomplish all that she had. She had known that. But to experience it was something else entirely. It was transcendental. Mere language was far too clumsy a tool to ever communicate it. Imprecise tools. It was all imprecise tools. Gado had built a pick that could pierce the cold Olivite she felt below her, but he understood neither tool nor material. Sucy had rediscovered the fundamental principles behind Nailsmithing, but all her mastery was nothing before even something so simple as an Administrator. Ringo had Esprit coursing through his veins, with none of the crude hotwiring that went into making a Warlord, but that was nothing to the power at her fingertips. Small wonder that she had laughed at the notion that King Regis had been anything of worth. There was royalty, and there was Royalty.

The Queen reached to pull herself up, hand brushing against a wooden table leg that Stårn had used to shore up a corner of the foot. It was black walnut, she knew. A good, solid hardwood. It wasn't so hard as something like hornbeam, or bloodwood, but it was still plenty sturdy for furniture, and it had that incredible rich brown hue that really shone when you polished it. And the burls! Oh, that texture was just so gorgeous when you got a good burl to work with. It was like marble in wood form. Turning wood wasn't usually her thing--Dovetail had raised her on joinery after all--but the lumberyard had had the most perfectly round burl, and she'd taken her allowance, and bought the thing and then completely bungled the whole thing. It was still a pretty great bowl, to be fair, but nothing like it could have been. Still, like Dovetail had said it hadbeenanexcellentlearningexperiencehelikedtosaythatalotthoughevenwhenitwasclearlybullshitlikewhenhehadtriedtoteachhertoidentifywoodbytastebyputtingsawdust onherfoodandthenquizzingherandithadonlylastedlikeaweekbefforeherealizehowsillyitwasandthenhehadtriedtoplayitofflikerecognizing howbullshitthatlessonhadbeenwastheactuallessonandsheshould haveknowntostophimsoonerthanshehadthereweresomanylessonsmeasuretwicecutonce Stanwillalwaystrytoripyouoffsobereadyforthatpredrillyourholeswhenyouworkwithhornbeamwhitepineisagarbagewoodforgarba...

There is always a choice.

A box closed. It wasn't real, but it was a fine piece of carpentry all the same. The contents might spill out, eventually. But for now, they were contained.

Noggins got to her feet. She gave Portha a grateful nod--she probably wouldn't have made it if it hadn't been for her help--and stepped forward, pulling a nail from her pouch. There was carpentry that needed to be done. Ringo was already intercepting the Queen, pushing Nailbreaker to an extent she hadn't thought possible before. His mighty swing would have simply evaporated anyone less durable than Dixi was.

It was all so simple. Once you knew there was a trick to it, Olivite just wasn't that special. Had there been others before Gado, she wondered? Other tunnelmasters, who knew their craft so well that they could accomplish what everyone knew was plainly impossible? She'd have to thank him later, she thought, as she drove the crude iron through the Queen's hand and into the OG-forged godmetal. Although by the looks of things, that would take some doing. Well, hopefully he'd just kind of guess at her gratitude, wherever he ended up.

And then there was Grimper. Grimper, Grimper, Grimper. It was almost funny, seeing the Queen call him her knight in shining armor. It was almost farcical. Almost.

She lifted her hand, plucking Nailbreaker from the air as Ringo passed it her way. She wasn't sure if he'd looked. She certainly hadn't. She studied the artifact a moment and then flicked her wrist.

Nailbreaker exploded.

Petals, then tendrils, then metallic vines as thick as an arm burst out of the hammer's head, far more than could possibly have been contained within. And yet it just kept coming. Creepers skittered across the floor, finding purchase in imperceptible cracks and imperfections. Amidst all of this, Noggins rose up into the air on a pillar of thorns, upwards until head was on the same level as the Warlord's, and then higher. Below her, tendrils rose up and knotted themselves into a miniature forest of spiky trees. She stared into Grimper's eyes, and spoke.

STOP: 1d100+10d1000+10+3+5 4497 DOUBLES DETECTED! INITIATING OVERDRIVE. FINAL RESULT: 8994

All told it was really a bit too much, but she couldn't resist the opportunity.

"I wasn't scared to fight you even before I'd ascended, Grimper. And now that, whether you want to admit it or not, I am your Queen, I'm really not in the mood to put up with your poo poo. So you can stand down, and report to the Spymaster for a briefing on what's going down. And that's Splut, if that somehow wasn't clear. Splut, you can take that from here. Everyone else--" she turned to look at the rest of the Horde "I... don't know what to say. I mean, what can I say, after all that we've done? I didn't exactly come prepared for this. So... look, there's a lot that we're going to have to figure out here. A lot. And you're all going to be a part of that. There is so, so much that can be done, and most of it can't be solved by nailing wood together. So think about the world you want to help make, okay? I know I don't have a reputation for listening, but I promise, on everything I can promise on, that I will. And that includes you too, Sikatris. This is a group effort."

"But a couple of things first... if someone could keep Sikatris from bleeding out, that would be great, because she's the closest thing to a leader of Frö that exists, and there's going to be negotiations--oh, and Humbug, he deserves better than lying on the floor like that. Second, Snödis, we need to talk. Now. Thirdly, Trinh, I am incredibly impressed that you are still holding together, please keep it that way. And finally, Sucy, thank you for keeping my sense of self propped up this long, she is still in there please, please, please figure out how to get her out. Anything else anyone wants to bring up?"

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 29, 2018