Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
  • Post
  • Reply
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Portrait: A3
Name: Splut
HP:3
Glory:0
Skill:Bluffing

Backstory: Never, ever play Splut at cards. He's sneaky, conniving, has a face that even officers would believe, and can twist the truth into delicious pretzels through sheer chutzpah. Sadly, twisting a little too hard and stretching the credulity of the powerful a little too often led to his conscription here, but rather worryingly, he's taking it all in his stride...

Action: Try to convince the enemy to open the gate 109!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:1

He walked up casually to one of the stick ogres as if he was about to start bluffing it in some fanciful scheme, but it was just a bluff: Instead, he just stabbed it.

Stab the stick ogre: 56.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:2

Downtime: Splut was not an unkind Töan, or at the very least was exceptional at faking it, so he went to go tell the wounded that they were okay. "You'll be fiiiiine! It's just a flesh wound, it'll buff out in no time!"

Bluff the injured into thinking they're healthy again: 1d100+12=100.

Strategery:

Looking at the fellow Unexpectables, Splut pondered,

"You know, I reckon that maybe we could convince them to send the supplies somewhere else, like right to us. Make 'em believe we're messengers from top brass, with orders to redirect right to us. Course, we'd need to Intercept 'em first, but then? Then, we could make 'em dance like puppets with a few well chosen words..."

Intercept:1d100+2=73

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at Sep 23, 2017 around 16:38

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:3

Oo, skill cores! Being able to actually do something instead of just blagging about it could come in handy. What was this one? leaping? Seemed like it could be handy..
Go hardcore Leapcore: 34.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:4

He headed over to the crippled Ringo, to offer some expert medical making-it-up-as-he-went-along.

"Ringo, that weren't the smartest thing you've done, but to be honest, you're fine. No-one will even notice it, you'll be right as rain."


Lie at Ringo to heal him: 38.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:5

Gathering up a bunch of suitably gullible mooks, the arch-bluffer extolled,

"The best way to deal with a threat is to recruit it, because then it's threatening your enemies instead. Now, I've got just the cunning plan that'll win them all over, no problem, but I'm going to need 29 stout Töan volunteers to back me up here. Trust me on this, there's no way this could possibly backfire..."


Bluffing to Recruit Them: 115!!!.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:6

Bluffing would do no further good here, so it was time for an outright lie to motivate the townsfolk and herd them away.

"Wait a minute! That Ogre! It's moving! Stick ogres don't move! Stick ogres don't move! Everyone out of the town, we'll crush them in the open field!"

Lying to Redirect the Mob: 95!.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:7

This was his bread and butter: Bilking unsuspecting people out of things. Beckoning a few Unexpectable mooks to join him, he sought some suitably gullible townsfolk who bore the marks of military service. Drawing near, he insinuated and inveigled,

"This was a set-up right from the start. The Fröan army hung us out to dry, they had to know the Töans would strike here, and yet they did nothing. Worse than nothing, we didn't even have a warning! Well, turnabout is fair play. If they aren't looking after us, we're not looking after them. Let's make sure the Töans know where to find them, it's our only hope now..."

Bluffing to Learn the Disposition of Fröan forces: 80!.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:8

Splut looked at the Nailed populace wistfully: The lack of pertinent information was itself information of a sort, but not the best of outcomes. Perhaps if he had tried to convert them more directly to the Töan cause, some of them might have willingly converted. Ah well, live and learn.

He saw Bully trying to chat with the ones that had turned coat, and saw an opportunity to help out his fellow speakmaster. Let's see if he couldn't get some useful topological or topographical information out of them.

Asking the new recruits about the lay of the land: 60..

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Works for me. Kudos!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:10

Splut looked at the nail now embedded in his shoulder, poker-faced and unreadable. Knowledge was power, and the Glory of the Horde had certainly come through this time. He nibbled upon Patsy's latest creation thoughtfully, pausing to enjoy the taste: That baker really knew her stuff! Bolstering their supplies with at least Some Rations from the town stores seemed the optimal move.

He considered Grimper's words carefully, allowing himself a conspiratorial smile. He looked to round up a few likely Töans and set about making his case:

"The Frömans with the Shipments we're going to intercept will be treating this as a routine drop: They have no reason to expect it will be otherwise. So, we're going to give them what they expect to see! I've spoken to the locals, I've heard how this usually goes, so we can let their expectations fill in the blanks for them. Just let me do the talking, and we'll have them handing everything over with a cheerful wave as they go on their way."

Bluffing our way into that intercepted shipment: 87!.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:11

For a moment, Splut the Bluffer considered greasing the Fröman caravaneer's palm with Glory. Not his, of course, but several of their Hordemates had yet to distinguish themselves, which was both opportunity and, after momentary consideration, a significant letdown. He couldn't barter with other Töan's Glory if they had no Glory to barter with. Perhaps Neebs had the right of it: They shouldn't push their luck too far. Nonetheless, Splut was a firm believer in pushing his luck just enough, and so he looked upon the cargo earmarked for Skelivanch (A name which, along with that of Commander Sikatris, he made a mental note to pass on to Grimper later), with an expression of concern shading into worry on his features.

"Does Skelivanch really need that much? What's going on over there? Anything we should know?"

Asking some questions about Skelivanch: 62!.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

National: H

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:12

A successful operation! the Frömen had had no idea that Fostis had fallen, nor that they were being hoodwinked and bamboozled into giving vital supplies into the hands of their föes. Splut's high spirits lasted until they reached the town and were apprised of the situation below, casualties taken and their enemy emboldened. Qwäg's words echoed in his mind: She had thought of him as a force multiplier, had worried for him. She was still off scouting Nagel, which he found somewhat comforting: Recon work was probably a good deal safer than tunnel fighting, so she'd likely be back unharmed, or so he hoped.. Ah well, he'd have to do this without a proper risk assessment, more's the pity. She had been right, and at this moment in time, the one thing he could do to best help the rest of the Horde was to be their inside Töan

The Bluffer put on his best poker face and went down into the tunnels, ready to put on the performance of his life to Infiltrate the FFA.

Bluff my way into the FFA: 62!.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:1
Glory:13

Splut came to, groggily, his head still pounding. He winced as drips and drabs of memory came back to him, and looked around to get a good view of his surroundings. The Töan locality, which meant that they'd won: He could only hope that he'd tied up some of the enemy as they dealt with him so that the rest of the horde could triumph. Either way, he was alive, if barely, which meant there were things to do.

There were still some other wounded around and about, and so he brightly began his spiel.

"Friends, Töans, Hordemates, arise! We're made of sterner stuff than this. It takes more than a bit of bruising to keep us down! We are the Unexpectable Horde, and right now the last thing anyone expects of us is to stand, hale and hearty, ready to report for duty and to take up arms for the late Queen and our homeland. Now, our horde is not complete: Our commander and our brave comrades aren't back yet, and it may be that we need to get up at a moment's notice and come to their aid, else bring the fight to the enemy. So, look within yourselves, and ask yourselves, 'Am I really that badly hurt? is this injury really going to keep me from helping our fellow Töans-in-arms in their hour of need?' Of course not! We can walk it off, and we will! That which would slay a weaker Fröman, we can shrug off and just keep going, for that is what it means to be Töan!"

Bluff the wounded into thinking that Töans are rapid healers: 32.

Perhaps that could have gone better. In any case, as he wandered around, he came across the loot they had won from the Caravan, their cunning ruse played to perfection by their side. Looking over the weapons, there was one that caught his eye in particular: An elegant sword cane, a slender blade hidden inside a stout walking stick. A perfect bluffer's weapon, just right for getting the element of surprise if cunning words failed! He laid claim to it, and his eyes settled on the selection of scarves, masterfully made and artfully pilfered. He turned his mind to their risk assessor, and was minded to collect one as a gift, a little thank you for looking out for them prior to the successful operation which had resulted in this bounty.

Claim a scarf as a gift for Qwäg: 34

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:1
Glory:13

Sadly the scarves proved too popular, all of them snatched away before he could act on his musings. So, perhaps something else, then? He looked at the selection of skillcores available. Perhaps whistling? Sometimes a whistle was the natural response to finding out the odds or value of something, so maybe it had some resonance. If not, she'd probably know where to deploy it to best effect amongst their colleagues.

Claim the whistling skillcore as a gift for Qwäg: 1

Hm. It was definitely a bit of a stretch, wasn't it?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:1
Glory:14
(Carrying the Whistling Skillcore unused)

As much as he was still smarting from distracting the last resistance in Fostis, this was more important than that. Time to get the injuries patched up later, for now, it was vital to get there at speed to help their recon elements in their hour of need. It seemed a sprint was required.

He sought out the lollygaggers barely able to make up the pace, and spake, "Feel that? That's the pull of the nail, ever towards the warlord! Keep it in mind as you go, keep that little tug in focus, and you'll be surprised how fast you can go to answer the call! Come on!"

Bluff the hindmost to speed 'em up:33

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:1
Glory:15
(Carrying the Whistling Skillcore unused)

He'd been running straight for over a day and a half, trying to cajole his fellows into keeping up the pace, but that didn't matter: They'd all been running that hard.

He'd been tapping into his skillcore all the while, for hours on end, but that didn't matter: Lots of them had put in a truly heroic effort to make sure they got here.

He hadn't recovered from the shellacking he'd taken from the rebels in Fostis, but that didn't matter: He was alive, and as long as he lived he could act for Horde.

What did matter was that their friends and comrades were in terrible danger, facing down no less than three wendigoes! The protocol was obvious, but which one?

He heard a familiar voice calling out a war cry, terror overridden by masterful calculation of the risk involved and by sheer bravado in the face of abomination.

Qwäg posted:

"YOUR SURVIVAL FUNCTION APPROACHES ZERO, YOU FAT PIECE OF CRAP!"

A proud smile on his bruised and battered face, Splut unsheathed his sword cane in a single smooth, ringing movement, the cane scabbard now clutched in his off-hand to ward off blows, as he stormed into the fray to fight shoulder to shoulder with the best risk assessor among Töans and Frömen alike.

Attack the Laughing One alongside Qwäg: 96!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Task Manager posted:

OOC: Man did those Wendigos roll well!
OOC: Not particularly, average for 4d1000 or 40d100 is a hair over 2000.

Push Further. We stand or fall as a Horde, no-one left behind. (Incorporated into fluff post below, do not double count.)

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at Nov 10, 2017 around 01:39

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:NAND(1,-1)
Glory:16
(Carrying the Whistling Skillcore unused)

It wasn't looking great. He ducked and dived, dodged and weaved, just about getting out of the way of that tongue, feinting and parrying with the sword cane, evasive manoeuvres and ruses de guerre becoming easier as his overworked skillcore began to recover and make itself useful. Of all of them here, he was perhaps the least capable of taking a hit from that thing in his current state, which just meant not getting hit as he tried to murder it. He kept his focus on battling the Wendigo, not even truly registering Grimper stepping in to Save them all.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:1
Glory:17
(Carrying the Whistling Skillcore unused)

He exhaled. Battered as he was, Grimper had saved his life, though five of their hordemates were not so lucky, to say nothing of the injured and mutated. He carefully cleaned his blade, resheathing his sword cane and securing it, then fishing around in his scant belongings for a certain something. Qwäg had been one of the unlucky ones, but whatever changes occurred changed little else.

"Here", he said, Offering Qwäg the Whistling Skillcore. "Secured this back in Fostis, Whistling speciality. Do you reckon you can make use of it? If not, you're probably the best judge to assess where it should go."

He turned to look at the wounded, so many of them. Still, he had to help as best he was able, so he strode among them, giving the lie to his own injuries as he tried to give the lie to theirs.

"We're alive, we've survived the most horrific things we've ever faced. Some of us didn't, and most all of us aren't unscathed. But to live through that is to be able to live through anything! We are Töans! It did not kill us, and we can shrug off anything that doesn't!"

Bluff our many wounded into regenerating their injuries: 80!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:1
Glory:17

He reacted instinctively, reaching out to catch and steady her, inwardly wincing as that compressed some of his bruises, but adeptly maintaining his poker face.

"Careful there, those things... they did not go to their ends cleanly. Are you all right?"

His poker face slipped a little, a touch more concern than would be usual overriding his cherished sangfroid.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:1
Glory:17

Even as he waited for Qwäg's answer, his mind drifted to the Lying Skillcore he'd tried to snag earlier.

Grab the Lying Skill core: 54

Would it Resonate, he wondered?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:18

Seeing Qwäg get dragged away with the other mutated ones was harsh: She didn't deserve that fate. So, he spoke up,

"Warlord. Let them prove themselves. If they really can produce a cure, or show sufficient evidence of one, isn't that worth sparing them? Too many good Töans died, and too many more will soon die or worse. I saw her save the lives of our hordemates: For that, and for any chance of keeping the doomed from the worst of fates, I plead for clemency."

Regardless, he needed his own time, given recent events, choosing to head off through the facility, looking for a Dapper suit to claim as armor amongst the lockers of the former staff.

Loot a dapper suit as armor: 86

Suitably attired, he returned, just in time to cross paths with Pythag, obtainer of the Lying skillcore.

"Are you going to eat that?" he enquired.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:18
Lying
Whistling carried unused.

His poker face slipped as his expression brightened, as he held the Lying core, turning it this way and that to see it glisten in the light. Before consuming, it, he looked upon the mathematician and commented,

"Thanks! I owe you one, I'll keep an eye out for something suitable to repay you."

Truth told, he touched Lying to his chest, and subsumed the core within himself.

There was one more task he needed to do: Qwäg had returned the Whistling core before... He didn't want to think about it.

Fine. Qwäg is going to be fine, she'll pull through.

Within his chest, the new skillcore began to throb at its first use.

He looked around, seeking out the elusive Ringo. He proffered the Whistling Skillcore to him, saying, "Here, Qwäg reckoned you'd be able to get the best use out of this."

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at Nov 15, 2017 around 17:28

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:19
Lying

Hiding his emotions as was his wont, he spoke briefly,

"Head back to Fostis. We can siege down a fortified Noostra. We can't gain anything from an Old Guy vault that has already been looted."

He glanced over at Stårn, still toting the portapult.

"Besides, imagine an Old Guy siege weapon. Whatever we find in there, what chance do they have to prepare for it?"

Having chipped in on that matter, there was something else important he needed to do. He sought out the freshly-branded Qwäg, eyes flickering only for a moment to the mark before meeting hers. There wasn't much time left before... before matters came to a head, but that just meant it was even more vital that she didn't go through with it alone.

"Hey. I, er, I thought you might want some company."

It wasn't like him to be at a loss for words, but what could you say? 'Sorry that you're about to die or turn into a monster'? 'Bad luck on needing a crippling brand just to have a chance to stay yourself'? He looked down, glumly, and pondered, trying to stir his cores into action. So, he looked up, met her gaze, and with the best sincerity his skillcores could churn out,

"Whatever happens, we're going to get through this, okay? Whatever the odds, whatever the outcome, we're going to get through this."

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at Nov 19, 2017 around 21:48

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:19
Lying

Qwäg posted:

At that, she looked to Splut, her face suddenly conflicted. “You dǫ͟͜ņ'́͟͜t …I won’t think any less of you if you don’t want to be here for this, Splut.” Idly, she rubbed her forehead, wincing and gritting her teeth. “I wouldn’t want to b̨e ̵̀h̶e̶r̸e͘͏ for t̨ḩ́i̴̧̕s̶̢̛̀ .” Qwäg closed her eyes, leaning her head back to rest on the wall.

“Į̵t̵̕'͟s̵ …going to h̶̛́́͞a҉̡͜҉̶p̧͢͞͠͠p̡̀e̡͘n̢̛͡ soon. Whatever It is. I feel l̵̶i҉k̴͞e̴͏ …It’s as if…u̵̧̢͞g̵̢̢͘h̕͝. Snödis could explain it better. I̴̵͘͞ don’t have a poetic bone in my body. Not standard issue for actuaries Į̶̹̘̻͉̗̺̤͖̞̪̫̟͕̦̰͎̭͉̀͘͝ͅ'҉̩̗̥̝̹̟̀̕M҉̮͎̝̹̯̗͕ ̥̭̻̘̣̲̝̠̘̳͡͡͞Á̡̛͠҉̻̟̤̯̣̮ͅͅͅF̶̨̠̗̳̱̣̯̥̬͚̕ͅR̨̛̯͖͎̳͔̰̀A̧͔̥̻͚͜I̸̢̠̬̠̜̟͎̦͙̫̰̬̬̪͈͎͘ͅD͢҉̸̶̛̘͖̙̙͈͈̝̻̝͕̰ .

The falsehood specialist stayed where he was, resolute, a kindness in his usually unfathomable eyes.

"I'm not going to abandon you while you're going through this, Qwäg. You don't want to be here, but there's no choice in that. Still, you don't have to go through it all alone, not if I can choose otherwise. We're... Hordemates, and if we don't look out for each other, no-one else will."

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at Nov 19, 2017 around 21:47

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:20
Lying

Whilst abandoning Qwäg in her direst moment was the last thing he wanted to do, the direct order from Grimper was obeyed swiftly, and he contented himself with insisting that his hand didn't hurt after that scalding contact, to distract from the worry and foreboding. He took in her altered form on her return with profoundly mixed feelings, but sought her out swiftly, mindful as to how abandonment might feel in the circumstance. He offered her a smile, and said,

"You're alive, you're still yourself, I could ask for nothing more."


Onto Fostis. After what he'd been through before in the town, he was only too eager to lead the effort to Interrogate the citizenry, revving up his cores to full.

"Oh, don't worry. I'm sure you're not to blame for what went down on our last visit. You can trust us to use anything you tell us with discretion, there's no chance of any misfortune befalling you, your family or the town. Of course, we'll need to know what's up, but I'm certain you have no reason to keep it from us, do you?"

Lying to the Fostisians to milk them for information: 79

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:20
Lying


Bee Bonk posted:

Qwäg knew better than might be expected what she looked like. The extra eyes gave a certain added perspective absent the run-of-the-mill Tö. She felt a pang of bitter disappointment as she looked at Splut, for what might have been, but oddly, no shame, no anxiety. Not anymore.
She saw the tangle of conflicting emotions surrounding Splut...she called the smear of color Spläg.

"Y̫͚͓͓O̠̣͎̰͡U̷̵͇͍̯̩͇̮'̤̠͓͇̹ͅR̨̻̤͘͞E͎̦͖͕̻̞͍ ̜͈̹̺A̪͈̦̰̱̕͢͝ ͖̗̰͙̻͕̼̘̼̀͡G̷̞̩̭͓̘̯O̧̻̫̗O̧̯̱͖̘̦̺̮͟͞ͅD̵͇͈͚͈ͅ ̵͔̠̻͉̱͓̪̦͓F̶̡̜̠͎̘̖̦R̯̠͍I̴͚̩͍̺̬̬̠͘É̶̶̯̗̦̹͕̖̮̜N͚̯̼Ḏ͓̗͚͞ ," she rumbles, lips twisting into a broad, toothy semblance of a smile, reaching out with her more normal left hand in an affectionate gesture. "N̠̱̘̟̭͟͜͞O̘̪̭͉̱̤͝͝ ̷̠̦͚̰̕R͓̰̳͓͖͔E͏͈̜͜G̬͕Ŗ̲̗̞̻̰̖̺̀E̲̘̤͉̖͘͡T̺̼͙̲͙̥͠S̠͖̺ , Splut, O̘͎͎͠K͔͓͜Á̛̟͎̟͇͟Y̷͉̟͉ ?"

He took what had once been her left hand in one of his own, reassuringly firmly, and nodded his assent.

"No regrets", he lied.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:21
Lying Cooldown

Splut pored over the reports, scowling: what they did have was cause for serious concern, but his Lying core had buzzed and fluttered that they didn't know enough. Lies of omission, as blatant as the ones the Nails prevented but potentially far more damaging. He went over the ciphered messages tö and fröm Fröman Command, picking up what hints he could muster as to what the relief effort was going to be. There was a way to get some real information out of the townsfolk, but it would require a hell of a lot of bluffing on his part, and probably be more than a little risky besides. Given what the shakedown crew had been able to muster, he could make it seem very convincing: He had the names of the nearby commanders, the fact of ciphered communication, and enough local knowledge to make a good fist of it.

He was going to pretend to be an infiltrating forward element of the Fröman relief force looking to make contact with what resistance they could, see for himself what loopholes around the nail they were exploiting and try to get a better idea of what was truly going down, the details that had been kept from them.

He made a copy of the report conclusions and handed them off to a Mook to get to Grimper, with an addendum there was more still to be found and that he was proceeding to do so.

He looked around for the infiltration and covert-cored specialists of the horde, such as they were. Solo or as a team, they'd get to the bottom of this.

He just had to hope it wouldn't be too late.

Bluffing the Fostisians by pretending to be an infiltrator from the Fröman relief force to get the last vital information out of them: 45

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:21
Lying Cooldown
Ritual Glory:1


Cloud Potato posted:

When Splut announced his intentions to pretend to be a Fröan infiltrator looking to make contact with the rebels, Hat spoke up.

"That's a great idea! Maybe one of my patented disguise hats might help sell the deception a little? I've fought the rebels before, maybe I can recreate a symbol they were wearing, show that you're in with the in-crowd."

Splut smiled at the interjection from their Chapeaumeister, nodding his assent to Hat's assistance. He'd seen her work up close when they successfully pulled off the equipment heist: Their disguises had worked better than they could have hoped on that occasion, so falling back on a proven successful line made sense here.

"Excellent thinking. Maybe there's something from these ciphered communications that might give us a good angle on that. I trust you, I'll wear whatever you come up with."

And so, upon receiving the head apparel, tucking his conspicuous cranial crenellations beneath the brim,



"How do I look?"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:22
Lying
Ritual Glory:1

The battle was nigh. He handed off the new intel they'd gained to Grimper when the horde coalesced, but for now it was time to deliver a show-stopping performance. He sized up the opposition, the serried ranks dance-fighting, musical bowmen with his colleagues drilling down and besieging from a distance to silence their strings, but behind it all, underpinning the full unit was the incessant, all-drowning rhythm. It needed to be disrupted, set against itself, and for that his deceptive skillset was just the thing. He advanced swiftly, sword cane sword drawn, the scabbard held firmly in his off hand. He aimed for a drummer at the end of a rank, looking to murder the one just inside him as he yelled in his face,

"No, no, no! On the downbeat, not the upbeat! You're getting it all wrong, and that means the enemy is winning! Drop your tempo!"

He punctuated his lies with offhand taps with his cane scabbard on the surface of the drum, to disrupt and to distort the rhythm, sowing discord as best he could.

Reckless assault! Attacking the drum line, Lying to an enemy drummer to introduce discord and chaos: 106

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at Nov 28, 2017 around 21:37

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:23
Lying on cooldown
Ritual Glory:1

He looked upon his handiwork and that of his hordemates in the ruin and confusion of the Drummers, and was well pleased. The briefest of moments to assess the chaos of battle and his heart sank: Grimper was getting pummelled by the enemy commander! Going against him alone was suicide, and en masse wasn't much better, but perhaps, perhaps he could arrange for a strike from an entirely unexpected direction. It would take a hell of a bluff, but that was his stock-in-trade, and if it gave their warlord a fighting chance, it was worth any risk.

He used the chaos of the battlefield to go from the drummers, trusting his Hordemates to finish them, across to the Stringslayers, lashing out with his swordcane where necessary, doing his part in the melee. As the opportunity arose, he directed his potent deceptions upon the enemy ranged warriors,

"Agenou is faltering! We have to bolster him, he can get repowered by our projectiles if they touch him! Loose everything we've got on Commander Agenou, it's our only hope!"

Reckless assault! Attacking the stringslayers, Bluffing to try and get them to fire at their own Commander: 121!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:24
Lying
Ritual Glory:1

He watched the broken archers scatter for a moment, before turning his attention to to battle of Warlord against Commander. It was not going well, any fool could see that Grimper was getting the worst of it, that was, unless someone told them what they were seeing. Poor Bully had died bravely, so in his memory it was time for some stirring oratorical lies. He held his blade aloft, stood atop a handy pile of slayed stringers, and roared,

"Unbreakable Horde, to me! Look upon our enemy! Look at that ruin of a face, Grimper did that, tore his moustache clean off and with it his pride! He's faltering, he's feeble, he's not even really dancing any more! Now is the time! Now is the moment! Everyone, with the Warlord, let's bring this chump down for good! For the Queen! For Tö! FOR GRIMPER!"

On that, he led the charge, his every movement a comforting lie exuding confidence and the surety that the mooks of the Horde were with him.

Attacking Agenou with Grimper, using stirring lies to rally the horde to the attack: 85

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:26 (Commander kill bonus)
Lying
Ritual Glory:1>0

It was a relief to see Magda approach, and he listened intently at every little bit of knowledge she imparted. Acting on her words, he tried to use misdirection and subterfuge to lay claim to Agenou's potent Charm Skillcore.

Bluffing to obtain the Charm +25 Skillcore: 103

However, he had a debt to repay. Pythag had been very generous in granting the Lying Skillcore used to such great effect against the enemy, and Splut was keen to settle up. Knowing the Mathematician's love of defensive improvements, Splut opted to Forego claiming free salvage for himself to improve Pythag's claim by grabbing him an Arrow Flatpack.

Onto other matters. He'd seen the performance of Snödis' squad, the idea of specialist strike teams seeming like it could prove highly successful in the long run. However, the matter could not be broached with Grimper until he awoke, so it would have to wait for now. Nonetheless, he kept his eye out for suitable candidates for Infiltration Squad as and when it could be okayed.

He stopped by Magda, and handed her a Ritual Glory chit. "One for Luck's Fickle Gaze, please."

Finally, there was the matter of his suit. He'd fixed it as best he could, but it could really do with some improvement. He sought out Hat, the masterful milliner who had had a major share in several of their best infiltration successes to date and asked,

"I don't suppose we could work together on getting my suit looking a bit less... roughly stitched, could we? my repairs lac a certain degree of finesse..."

Special project MAXIMUM DAPPER on Splut's suit: 63

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at Dec 8, 2017 around 13:46

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

Capfalcon posted:


D10 for a face please.


AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:26
Lying
Ritual Glory:0>1>0

He gave a small nod to Hat, before fishing in his pockets for another piece of Ritual Glory and putting it in the Cobaltwing's pile.

"No, that's fair enough. I'll see if I can scrounge up something in the mean time, no need to make long term promises over this."

He headed out, looking to see if he could Loot something to help with Project MAXIMUM DAPPER.

Looting to try and find things to enhance Project MAXIMUM DAPPER : 71

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker

gowb posted:

"Not I,” said Splut, “I am far too important to shape dough.”

He was lying, as he forgot to deactivate his skillcores when trying to volunteer.

You'd better get some Ritual Glory for that!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:27
Lying
Charm +25
Ritual Glory:0

He thanked Hat for her kind words: It was gratifying to have one so well versed with needle and thread affirm that his efforts had not been in vain. He accentuated his appearance with one of Sucy's sashes, making sure to acknowledge the hard work of the Mushroomier and give due credit. Seeing the success of the brave Beco, he opted to turn on the charm and see if he could round up any more of the survivors.

Charm to track down and beguile former Agenou Troupers into the Unexpectable Horde: 102!

Should he obtain any recruits, he would proceed to lead them to Grimper. If he could subsequently get a moment with the Breaker,

"Warlord, the successes of the Neötype Squadron, together with the creation of Siege Team Six and The Order of the Nail are something of an inspiration. A number of the Horde have proven very adept at tricking the enemy and strengthening the forces under your command as a result. Those on the mission that enabled us to equip the horde with the weapons meant to Fostis, those who were able to recruit our former foes as turncoats, those whowere able to get useful information on the enemy through interrogation, discussion or subterfuge, those who were able to sow panic and discord in the foe as we bested Agenou and his Troupe. If it pleases you, I respectfully request your leave to form a team of Infiltrators, those who have proven adept at sapping our enemies strength and adding it to our own one way or another."

Later, if he had the opportunity, he sought out Zapanda.

"I heard what you said upon the field. You're right. It is a terrible tragedy that those who dedicated their lives to culture and to the betterment and entertainment of others were snuffed out when Agenou's Troupe sought battle with Grimper's Unexpectable Horde. That people who in peacetime could greatly contribute to culture and joy could be forever silenced, forever lost to us all. People like Bully. He was an orator, and his words could bring you to despondent tears or rapturous joy, could convince peöple by the dozens to take up common cause with him. Agenou ground him underfoot like an uncultured savage muddily tramping on a book of poetry. People like Harlee, who dedicated her life to japery and merriment, who challenged the Dancer to a dance only to have the brutish thug kick her so hard she exploded. War is tragedy upon tragedy, the loss of so much that is of worth and of potential. But your words ring utterly hollow if you only see those who share your nation of origin as worthy of mourning."

Finally, he heard word that some in the Horde were engaging of games of chance. They knew of him by now, and the appellation of 'Splut the Bluffer' was itself a dead giveaway in terms of 'people to not gamble with', but perhaps they needed a dealer...

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at Dec 18, 2017 around 09:19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Yam Slacker


HP:3
Glory:31
Lying
Charm +25
Ritual Glory:0

He exchanged pleasantries with the three Wendigoes as the game ended, gratified to see them enjoying themselves and determined to treat them all as the equal hordemates that they should be considered as, no matter the barbed words of some and the fear of others. He nodded graciously to Hob as the living hive bestowed a stipend of Glory, but on being asked to play next time,

"As much as I'd love to, it needs to be a level playing field, a fair game, equal for all players, and not only do I have the potential to warp that, it would be impossible to tell if I was or not. I will not bilk or cheat any member of the horde, wittingly or unwittingly, for much the same reasons as I joined up in the first place. I'm always happy to help, might even run some lessons on techniques for everyone, but playing against me is a bad idea for all involved. Unless I'm playing against our enemy, that is."

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at Dec 18, 2017 around 09:17

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«4 »