Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I would like to help out!

Name: Cause
Portrait: A-13
Skill: Archeology
Backstory: A fledging career delving into the ruins of the past was cut short by monsterism. What twisting of the mind has brought this creature to serve the implacable Toans?? Or does vengeance still lurk in his monstery heart? Will he ever find that sweet whip and fedora he dreams of?

Investigate the Old Guy vault

vorebane fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

drat, too late, then. There is a little more vengeance in Cause's heart now. And also I will probably more often fail to resist to claim that since Indiana Jones did a thing, it's archeology and therefore I get a bonus to it.

Guard the wagons! One time Indiana Jones rode in a mine cart while fighting, that's probably relevant here.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I'll think about it, but the op did say to not go overboard on backstories. I thought I implied clearly enough it was cuz of the monsterism that Cause was in Nagel. And I totally chose A13 and don't you forget it, my multiple pupils will come in very handy.

I will use orokos then, I guess I thought DK was covering that.

Portrait: A-13
Guarding those wagons! http://orokos.com/roll/571308 1d100 = 62!
Glory: 0 > 1
Freebie starter item: Froman Cuirass

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Prince of Space posted:

He would become a Wendigo or die. Gob rest his soul.

I am jealous of your artliness, that is awesome.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

My gut says get Magda in the OG vault for consultation. If it's a ritual book that's the reward for besting the Vile Mechanism, then Magda's ritual knowledge is what is needed to get it.

Cause
HP 3/3
Glory 1>2
https://i.imgur.com/9n3SLRb.png https://i.imgur.com/xjq9KBZ.png
Archeology (using)
CHASE THAT ESCAPE ARTIST,THE TRACKS AND BROKEN BRANCHES OF HIS TEARASSING AWAY IS BASICALLY VERY RECENT ARCHEOLOGY.

Cause ran with the desperate strength of the newly traitorous. An escape artist... Well, you'd think he might even be the guy to notice what his doctor/keeper could do, but it's not like the monsterized were given the chance to press their caretakers for info. That one had always had a very watchful eye about him, though... Almost as if he knew where people's opportunities were. Well, Cause knew just barely enough about the ways of the forests to recognize the signs running at a breakneck pace left. And it was always nice to find a specious opportunity to apply his education! Now, someone who knew about escaping might well know to leave a fake trail, it all depended on the lead time he had, and whether he had any other skillcores gleaming in that clever gut of his.....

(I may have screwed up here, I implied I was using archeology last turn but didn't add it to my roll. If it's ok, I'm adding in my skill this time.)

https://orokos.com/roll/571531
1d100+10+1= 37

Education... not as... relevant... as surmised....

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I love you.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
Glory 2 > 3

archeology (on CD)

Cause had been really hoping to get a whip before any epic battles occurred. He looked around, desperate he not go into this punching. Overall feeling really bad about this, Cause advanced on the drummers, considering them the least likely opponents to put sharp things in him.

He cursed that great limitation of skillcores, the cooldown, knowing that punching was basically 14% of all archeology.
Attacking the drummers https://orokos.com/roll/572684 1d100+2=68

vorebane fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 29, 2017

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Skills: archeology
HP: 3
Glory: 3 -> 4

Riding the high of a victory he had marginally contributed to, Cause had seized upon the drumsticks of fallen drummers and was enthusiastically if somewhat regretfully poking them in eyes.

Getting an actual weapon would be nice, but Cause set his odds of safely disarming some mook of a dancefighter or archer at approximately between 'effective method of suicide' and 'squirrel vs bear.'

Attacking the drummers: http://orokos.com/roll/574284 1d100+3 = 50

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Oh dear, Grimper is going to be even more of a tyrant to deal with his own incompetence.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Ok, but don't do posts like that in game, I don't want to find out how Grimper feels about puns at his expense.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
2/3
Skills Archeology (using)
Glory 4 -> 5

Cause was only mostly exhausted, and now turned a keen eye to the fallen dance fighters. Looting was basically finding the most valuable bits out of a mass of confusion, and that was extremely archeology, no matter that Cause didn't intend to let the stuff age any.

http://orokos.com/roll/574871 1d100+4+10 = 33

There had better be something here better than drumsticks...

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Oh good, loot!

Don't work yourself too hard just cause we want to cuddle with our new shinies.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP 2/3
Glory 5

With a start, Cause realized that he had been wielding no ordinary drumsticks.. These were drumsticks of the second rank of power! Cause's education and savagery warred within him, and the savagery won. Many an eye would be poked by these babies.

It was then that a hordemate near him, performing the grisly work of extracting skillcores, held aloft his bounty in triumph, and then, disgusted, threw it away. Curious, Cause snatched the core up, and realized the skill within was Poor Decision Making. Fascinated only slightly more than he was repulsed, the Froan looked closer, and Cause thought, 'Now when I do something dumb, I'll be really good at it!' Which was silly, he hadn't decided to use this skillcore yet by any mea-

Cause had eaten Poor Decision Making. He had to respect the reach of the little core's power.

Claiming freebie drumsticks, and making a grab for Poor Decision making - 1d100 = 45 http://orokos.com/roll/575221

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

That's amazing, I don't mind that you missed me.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
3/3

Glory 5-> 6

It was as Cause gave a self satisfied sigh that he realized that the core that had its eye on him had been snatched away with frankly astonishing dexterity on the part of a 'Grani.'

Some part of him was relieved, firm in the knowledge that he had been instants away from a life of being rewarded for doing dumb things. The rest of him grumbled and took to laying claim to another skillcore - Balance. 1d100 = 56 http://orokos.com/roll/577032

~

Leftovers! That's what was left! Cooking wasn't his forte, but he couldn't deal with leftovers so he had to pitch. 1d100+5 = 96 http://orokos.com/roll/577037

While he was at it, Cause decided to go foraging. Varied ingredients could do a lot to make even leftovers briefly palatable. 1d100+5=88 http://orokos.com/roll/577041

As he brought back his second batch he realized he was losing a chance to personally examine one of the greatest mysteries of the age! He rushed to the mines, and within the vault, the malicious treasures of a lost age. It might be true that the OGs hated those that would come after them but the- they could very well hate the world itself, for being so fecund as to renew itself no matter what they thrashed. Then... these vaults... Cause understood enough of vengeance, to know it could get very good at long reaching subtlety if it had to. Cause shuddered, and for him, a vast mystery at the heart of the world clanged shut. The OG could keep their secrets, he'd seen enough to know that secrets could be kept in such a way as to have a sting.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I.... I think we have to vote 5 and goldmine the thread now.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause votes we go to Noostra

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
3/3

Skill: Archeology, Balance
Glory 6->7

Cause tried to ignore Starn's howls of victory as the siege leader soared maniacally above. He could have sworn he saw the bug writhe with some strange magic. From the way the it wiggled and... bubbled... he couldn't help but think the thing was close to destruction even now.

1B http://orokos.com/roll/580367 = 57
2C
3C
4B Did you have any hobbies, before you became a terrifying juggernaut of destruction?

We're too busy marching to take an action, right? How many rations do we have left?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
3/3

Skill: Archeology, Balance
Glory 7->8

Cause snatched for the Colbaltwing Chrysalis. http://orokos.com/roll/583524 Watching that mad sieger swoop about had made him realize how much easier it could be to conduct preliminary assessing of a site, with the proper vantage point. Plus archeology in general is maybe 9% aerial combat, if you count fighting in and around various aerial conveyances. Ooooooooh yah.

Cause only regretted leaping viciously upon the first patrol a little. http://orokos.com/roll/583526 Even so, overcoming enemy patrols could be considered archeology, but only if the patrol in question was comprised of despotic thugs, and Cause wasn't actually sure Froans qualified. Well there'd be other chances.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

WereGoat posted:

Also, for your orokos rolls, if you click in the bb code button below your roll, you'll get a copy pastable text box that will display your roll like this:

Seizing the Chrysalis!: 1d100 93

fighting the first patrol!: 1d100+8+2 82

I need you to develop a time machine and make this the second post in BDTG.

Cause
HP
2/3
Skills: Archeology, Balance
Glory 8->9

I'm not feeling up to writing I will make archeology jokes next time.

Fighting A Whole Bunch More Guys: 1d100+9+2 62

That's really snazzy, thanks WereGoat.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
2/3
Skills: Archeology (using), Balance
Glory 9->10

http://orokos.com/roll/588790 = 4

The whirling morass of wood and stone would have been escapable, Cause thought, if only it hadn't been so spiky. As it was, the place felt like a large size iron maiden. Much better than most other sizes of iron maiden, really, but still not ideal. And yet, Cause's heart sung. He had aced Monsterana Smith's Pointed Traps in third year, and it didn't look like these spikes were even going to move! Well aside from when they got together, of course. Cause shuddered. With this kind of power, it seemed like it would be easy enough for the building supplies to attack directly instead of creating a nasty arena. Sooner or later they were going to meet some commander with a gimmick that was just 'my opponents die.' Grimper's specialization of surly drunkenness didn't seem like it was going to cut it.

Cause dashed into the path of the horsemen, and stood firm as they bore down towards him. They might kill him, but he was going to hurt them first!

http://orokos.com/roll/588794 = 1d100+10+10+2 = 78 (fixed because I had thought I could use more than one skill at a time.)

vorebane fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 28, 2018

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

sheep-dodger posted:

You can only use one skill core per roll, sorry.

That I missed, thank you, I will fix, and at least I get the skill bonus next turn as well.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

sheep-dodger posted:

Thinking_emoji.gif

This kind of situation is what :thunk: is for!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
2/3
Skills: Archeology (cooldown), Balance (using to cook!)
Glory10->11

Looting a shield, a CQC skillcore http://orokos.com/roll/590067 = 14 (poorly looting),

and cooking! cooking in downtime: 1d100+10+11 64 (actually 53 if my glory cannot help out here.)

Cause was exhausted and entirely unsure how he got out of that unscathed. But even now, his captors friends needed him, and so Cause set himself to baking. His new skillcore fairly hummed as he dashed from oven to table and back, deftly balancing the competing deadlines of probably burnt bread and overkneaded dough. Would it be enough? Watching Patsy had already told him it would be barely noticed, but hey. Fresh bread!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
2/3
Skills: Archeology (using), Balance (cooldown)
Glory11->12

It had come to this. Grimper's study of war left something to be desired, from the perspective of the rank and file. Cause's understanding of war was of strength against weakness, the army, and indeed the warlord, as a knife to the belly, while the foe's strength expended itself where you had prepared to defend. How long could the Unexpectables last, pitting themselves against strongpoints, seeking glory at every turn? If this was how all of To made war.... Then Cause may have chosen the wrong side.

But the quisling's path was set. And finding a path was an opportunity to use his education, the dark river at the heart of Cause's betrayal. The walls, the plains outside them, the gatehouses, ramparts, guardhouses, and barracks.... all told a story. If there was a secret entrance to Noostra, Cause would find it.

finding a secret entrance into Noostra!: 1d100+12+10 57

Well, so far he'd found places secret entrances weren't to great effect!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

ill just write 'you all died'

My plan worked!

Cause
HP
2/3
Skills: Archeology (cooldown), Balance (using)
Glory12->13

Cause beat a desperate tattoo into the skulls of the closest Inhabited, but even those he hit solidly didn't seem to react. If he'd known that Fro was just as capable of depersonizing its citizens... Maybe he could hide in the woods somewhere. Cause's feet were steady, but his mind reeled, even as he struck at his chosen foes.

fighting the nearby Inhabited!: 1d100+10+2+13+25 62

Consistent mediocrity was looking real good right about now...

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
2/3
Glory13->14

Taking Notes had been the exclusive subject of 2 classes each of every year of Cause's education, and he'd been good at it. Not as much joy in it as punching invading fascists, of course, (Cause's mind scurried past several uncomfortable implications) but an important subject nonetheless. Taking in every detail of a site was no less important, and so Cause scribbled madly.

Taking Notes!: 1d100+14+10 105

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
2/3
Skills: Archeology (cooldown), Balance (using)
Glory14 -> 15

Cause's eyes, and his many pupils, were open. Danger could be coming from any direction, any detail could be the final warning of a lethal trap, no matter that they were supposedly unexpected, at least to this place. Every corner, every precipice, every hiding place felt the wrath of his drubsticks, but just yet none found purchase with the sinister threads of Sikatris. Cause was grateful to the former owner of his skillcore, the poor dancy bastard. Whatever direction danger came from, Cause would be ready.

Keeping eyes open: 1d100+15+10+2 49 ...Probably.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
2/3
Glory15->16

Oh good. The toughest guy in the room was busy having a chat with command, leaving his minions to fight the mooks charging adequately towards them. But fighting those under the control of strange magics had been the subject of the only second year class Cause had aced, in a moral, if not an actual sense, and these guys, aggressively mediocre though they were, matched the puppeteer archetype of control. The key was to think about cutting strings as you smacked them!

Fighting in the thumbscrew!: 1d100+16+10+2 72

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
2/3
Skills: Archeology (cooldown), Balance
Glory16->17

He'd done nothing. Grimper, the bastard, had been about to kill every Froan in the city, and he'd done nothing, caught betwixt the twin horrors of Grimper's intent and the certainty that Grimper would find the archeologist slightly easier to kill than Cause would your average bug. A lot easier, really. And Suzi, a Toan, had saved them all. At Grimper's shrug at finding the Inhabited docile, he suddenly remembered to breathe.

But the Unexpectables marched ever onward, and Cause had a project in mind. Every archeologist worth their salt had an extensive toolkit, and Cause wasn't actually worth much salt at the moment. He needed to fix that. So he searched the north city, keeping well away from the madmist. Leatherworkers, haberdasheries, even the odd Hot Thesis, all he ransacked for materials or the finished thing itself.

Cause would acquire for himself a Battle Fedora, and he would wear it, and foes of archeology everywhere would tremble in fear! Even GRIMPER, that vicious madman, would quaver before his might!

Searching for a battle fedora and also the materials to make one: 1d100+17 78

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Head to Teret

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
3/3
Skills: Archeology (using), Balance
Glory18->19

Oh happy day! A proper hat for archeologying (the technical term), and a dig with a horde of minions (amateurs but hey) to call his own! Cause launched into a quick rundown of how to properly dig, the fine art of preserving evidence, the utmost care with which the dig must be catalogued, the few circumstances in which anyone was actually allowed to pick something they found up, and then set to outlining a few sites, drawing in the snow before calling for string and sticks to do it properly with. His horde might not have any idea what they were doing, but a watchful eye could cure that!

Archeologizing the dig site!: 1d100+19+10 75

vorebane fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 26, 2018

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
3/3
Skills: Archaeology (cooldown), Balance
Glory19->20

Cause was terrified. It had completely slipped his mind that this was supposed to be an OG joint. He had descended before many others had done so, and so getting back up immediately was a no-go, even as it was the wisest decision. Even Humbug's jolly speculation failed to warm his heart, though the archaeologist leaped into wild theorizing (also a technical term), as much to distract himself from climbing, as from force of habit.

"I doubt the OGs are our ancestors, what images remain of them to us suggest to me their extinction event resulted from hyper-competition. Those who were different, those who excelled, they were ended by those with power, and the jealousy to use it with abandon. Individuality would have waned, until the consequences of conformity selected for became apparent. Without the diversity that fuels ingenuity, with the weight of conformity- well they became inbred as a species basically. I once tried to write a paper to the effect of monsterism stemming from an OG attempt to create useful mutations. It got shot down on account of 'being too drat spooky.' The OGs in power decided to embrace their extinction, and they created the relics that remain today, vengeance upon a world too fecund to bring down with them. This is a facility meant to... I suppose... capture individuals, and somehow replicate them, and harvest whatever they needed. For what purpose, well.... the next time you know why exactly an Old Guy did something will be the first."

Cause at last landed on solid ground, looking up at the poor Toans, vivisected, their organs sacrificed to some obscure purpose.

Then he looked down.

"But my money's on a flesh robot for an OG brain." Run away! That was Cause's professional opinion. But there were still Unexpectables above him. So he settled for Don't. Touch. ANYTHING.: 1d100+20 90 :stonkhat:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
3/3
Skills: Archaeology, Balance
Glory20 ->21

So, a ship. Cause was reasonably certain the river would be fortified, but the horde would see one way or another, even if it would come to sink or swim. Cause simply strolled into the city, avoiding the conspicuous guards. From there it was a simple matter of making one's way to the river.

Investigating the docks: 1d100+21 62

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
3/3
Skills: Archaeology (using), Balance
Glory21->22

Cause favoured taking the Red Maple, and quietly at that. Happily, Cause's education was relevant, Forcible Airship Commandeering having been a third year subject, and a watership is basically the same, right? Right. So those Froans wouldn't know what hit em.

Commandeering the Red Maple!: 1d100+22+10+2 68

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
3/3
Skills: Archaeology, Balance (using)
Glory22->23

The second watch afforded Cause the chance to nap before he set to work, which was a chance to brush up on his High Stakes Napping, a class he had actually, factually aced. His fellow Froans wouldn't know what hit them, and the rolling Fist would not tax his balance.

Second watch!: 1d100+10+23 102

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
3/3
Skills: Archaeology, Balance (cooldown) CQC +15
Glory23

Cause's nap had gone on a little longer than intended. Still groggy, he sprung into action, reloading every empty cannon he could find. As they approached the city, he set to the Queen's fore, hopefully building a figurehead that could break down that gate.

reload cannons!: 1d100 21

break down that gate: 1d100 51

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

sheep-dodger posted:

During the river segment all skill cores reset every turn, so if you want, you can apply one to each of your rolls here.
And if you'd like I'm sure DK wouldn't object to you claiming one of the cores you missed last turn.

Ah thanks I'll take a look when I get a chance.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Cause
HP
2/3
Skills: Archaeology, Balance, CQC +15 using
Glory23 -> 24

Cause knew what he must do. Within the armoury lay the key to the Combat Archeologist, the power to end this whole mess at one stroke. But to get what was truly necessary.. He would have to get there first.

Drive to the Armoury! Recklessly!: 1d100+24+15+2 130

vorebane fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Hey how did dashing for the armory go?