Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Name: Hat
Skills: Millinery (+15), Backflips (+15)
HP: 3/3
Equipment: Spear (+1), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Tuned Shield, Lucky Pearl; Sikatris Scarf, Mushbrëwm, Wagnag Jerky[?]
Glory: 34

AJ_Impy posted:

Infiltrator Captain
He listened to her considerations, and then nodded.

"You raise a fair point. I'll trust your assessment of your healing talent: You are free to continue your prior haberdashery orders at my word."

Hat sighed with relief. "Thank you, sir. I know we've got a lot of injuries, but me pretending bandages are hats for wounds is not what the Horde needs right now. I'll get started on this piece for Marra. Take care, sir."

And so Hat sat next to a fire and delved into her bag of materials. She thought of what Marra had asked for on the march. Inconspicuous, cowl-esque, like a scarf, earthy colour... Hmm. Maybe something loose, part hat, part scarf, easily adjustable... Hat grabbed some knitting needles and a skein of brown wool and stared into the night sky, letting her skillcore take over her hands' movements.

Inventing the snööd: 1d100+34+15+10 132

A loop of knitted brown wool. Loose enough to fit around the top and bottom of the head, or around the neck, or even covering most of the face. Hat hoped Marra would like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Skills: Millinery (+15), Backflips (+20)
Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Tuned Shield, Lucky Pearl; Sikatris Scarf, Mushbrëwm, Wagnag Jerky[?], Carpentry skillcore
Glory: 34 -> 35

"Hoo boy, this looks like one of those discussions," thought Hat, while the Horde debated. She waited for a lull in the conversation before speaking her piece.

"Firstly, it seems that we're all in broad agreement that Noostra is next. That's my view too, especially since one of my squadmates is already inside the city. To leave now would surely doom them.

"So the question becomes now, or later? I say later. You say they're reinforcing their position? With what, the dregs who saw us in battle here and fled? The time won't make them any stronger than they already are, but the time will strengthen us. The medics have done wonderful work the past couple of hours - for which, it must be said, the entire Horde thanks you - and a healthier Horde is one that will go further, push harder, another set of hands that will eventually Break Down The Gate that is our destiny. Why, if we have any spare Töanpower, we could even fashion you, Grimper, a replacement arm. Then you'll be able to bring the full strength of your wrath down upon the Noostrans. For once...

"But we won't just benefit with healthier troops. The delay allows the rest of us Infiltrators a chance to sneak into the city. We can get in, see what the enemy forces are like, and have eyes on the complete route from Gate to Thumbscrew. Give you - give the entire Horde the intel they need to strike where the enemy are softest.

"To recap; healthier troops, a stronger warlord, and better information on the enemy. In exchange, the enemy stews in their own juices a bit. Seems obvious to me. Delay."

Her piece said, Hat walked back into the crowd and took a seat. She was glad that her Misgivings had been given a chance to be heard. Let the Horde decide; she'll obey the decision it'll make.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Tuned Shield, Lucky Pearl; Sikatris Scarf, Mushbrëwm, Wagnag Jerky[?], Carpentry skillcore
Glory: 35 -> 36
Ritual Glory: 0 -> 1

Hat wasn't in the best of moods. The fourth Nail was still stinging in her body and the Horde were marching on Noostra, her entreaties having fallen on deaf ears. Grimper must value getting this message to the higher-ups more than a replacement arm. She marched on, the Warlord's voice booming over his troops.

Dog Kisser posted:

"Noostra's walls are pierced by five gates. Had we come from Fostis directly, the road would have led us through the Seed Gate, but right now we're headed towards the Sun Gate. We can assume that they know we're coming, but they can't know for certain we're there for the Thumbscrew - after all, we passed by two of them on our way here."

"WHAT IN THE ACTUAL poo poo!?

You say this message is too urgent to delay, and then reveal we could have sent it earlier? At a site surely a great deal less well-defended than fuckin' Noostra!? And now you expect us to fight, to fuckin' die against those walls, for fuckin' what? Another chance to lose to Sikatris? Has this whole thing just been one big ego-trip for you?

You want a plan? We leave! We go and find a Thumbscrew that isn't behind a shitload of stone and bastards and send your precious message there. Sucy can give Humbug a 'ring' and he can rejoin us as we march away. If nothing else, they won't be fuckin' expecting that. Hell, if we're lucky, they'll come after us and fall into our ambush. gently caress!"

Her invective spent, and suspecting her suggestion had fallen on deaf ears, Hat joined the rear of the army, sullenly marching toward the walled city. Once enough time had passed that her temper had cooled down a little, she looked for and found Noggins, giving her the Carpentry skillcore. "Saw this in the pile at the last fight, thought you could make use of it. This Horde could use a good, strong leader."

HumbugVote: Secure a Secret Entrance.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Tuned Shield, Lucky Pearl; Sikatris Scarf, Mushbrëwm, Wagnag Jerky[?]
Glory: 36 -> 37
Ritual Glory: 1

The decision had been made: the 'shitload of stone and bastards' was the Horde's next target. Hat still felt the anger bubbling away inside her, but took deep breaths and tried to channel that rage towards the Noostrans. Grimper hadn't simply squeezed the life out of her, as a small part of her had feared; but had countered her argument by saying how much stronger the Horde had gotten in the past few weeks under his leadership. A claim Hat found hard to refute. Hadn't she just invented an entirely new piece of headwear? Would the old Hat have been capable of such feats?

Another deep breath. She was an Unexpectable, and she'd follow her orders. The Horde approached the wall and Captain Splut spoke up.

AJ_Impy posted:

"Infiltrators! We're going to find a better way in, preferably before we lose the Nailbound. That's our orders, use whatever means necessary to gain ingress to Noostra. Secret doors, sally ports, murder holes, anything."

Hat watched as Splut donned the OG artifact mask once again. He'd been keeping a tight grip on it since Öxnyard. Hadn't he himself warned against consectutive uses? She'd have to have a quiet word with him once this mission was done. She looked down at her own clothes; she was still wearing the scarf she'd looted from the supply caravan, said to have come from Sikatris herself. Would the Noostrans recognise it? Would they welcome her as a deep-cover spy, or attack her first for wearing evidence of previous victories against them? Hat quickly removed her scarf, and stuffed it in the hat-making bag.

And finally, the Horde reached the walls of Noostra. Hat scanned the wall, looking for any secret doors that might still be ajar. The thought occured that though the doors were probably well camoflaged from ground level, someone looking from higher up might be able to notice the hinges or fake stone that give the passages away. Hat grabbed her new spear in her hands, and jumped.

Using Backflips to find secret doors!: 1d100+37+20+10 137

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Tuned Shield, Lucky Pearl; Sikatris Scarf, Mushbrëwm, Wagnag Jerky[?]
Glory: 37 -> 38

Hat inspected her spear's blade. It seemed undamaged from its use as the tin-opener that started the breach of Noostra. Hat tried to shake the echo of the Boomstick's explosion out of her head. Time to become that other Hat, the small but growing part of her that hungered for the enemy's blood on her weapon. The Horde charged into the walled city, and Hat charged alongside them.

The streets were eerily silent at first, as if the city was observing a religious festival. This was replaced by the yells of the Horde celebrating their triumph against the stone. But that left the bastards. A mook screamed as strange strands of blue thread captured him. Soldiers watched in horror as they were slowly dragged to the square, where the squat form of the town's Commander, surely Sikatris, waited. Another scream as a huge arrow perforates another mook. And then the smashing of windows as the mask-wearing citizens surrendered their personalities and prepaered to defend their city. The main street had filled up quickly. Time to fight!

AJ_Impy posted:

"Infiltrators, sabotage these string traps! They're doing too much harm both directly and psychologically. Burn them, cut them, weave them into headgear, I trust you to act as best you see fit."

...or Hat could follow her orders and try and cut wool. She was about to complain, when she saw one of the traps ensnare Splut right in front of her! She watched as the Bluffer got the Lifemask to his face with unerring speed and became Craic. Was he about to bluff Sikatris herself? No time to worry about that. The threads had proven their malice, and attacking them suddenly seemed like a good idea. Besides, cutting threads was an integral part of hat-making!

Using Millinery to cut the evil thread traps!: 1d100+38+15+10+3 84 Oh no, nat 18! Has Hat been captured?????

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Glory: 38

Captured! She desperately tried to re-orient her spear, to cut the threads that were now binding her. It was time to free Hat!

Tangled In The Threads! Will Hat Escape?: 1d100+38+3 135 :tipshat: And an extra +10 if my orders to cut threads still apply!

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 22, 2018

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Glory: 38 -> 39

It felt like Hat had only been in the thread's evil cocoon for a minute, but the battlefield outside had changed considerably. Plumes of red gas were wafting up from Sik- the puppet, as Ringo valiantly jumped into battle with the balsa-wood replica. Overhead, the butterfly-riders tried their best to divert the poison away from the Unexpectables. Inhabited bodies lay on the floor, and more and more seemed to be coming out of the buildings to replace the fallen. The occasional arrow still flew over the heads of the Horde, none thankfully finding their targets for now.

The Horde seemed to be split in two large bodies, one pushing for the Thumbscrew while avoiding the Madmist, the other fighting off the closest Inhabited citizens. After her recent close call in the puppet's strings, Hat was more than ready to spill some blood. A shame she'd left her scarf back at camp with the hat-making gear; it didn't feel right leaving her mouth uncovered while that vile stuff was still in the air. Hat tensed her legs, and jumped to the nearest building, overlooking the nearby Inhabited. Readying her spear, she picked her target and jumped.

Using Backflips to push back nearby Inhabited: 1d100+39+20+3 131 Nice!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
HP: 3/3 Pending...
Glory: 39 -> 40

The fight was going poorly. The Horde were being overwhelmed by the sheer number of Noostran citizens now wearing those vile masks. Hat did her best, but no matter how well the Unexpectables fought, there were more Inhabited ready to take their fallen comrades' place. And the injuries the Horde were receiving were starting to stack up.

Thankfully, the bulk of the invading force had made it to the bottom of the Thumbscrew Relay. Hat watched in horror as the Nailbound sacrificed themselves against its gate. Noostra was certainly making the Horde pay a high price for their activities. Still, when Grimper shouted for volunteers, Hat found herself obeying. The Warlord had risked a lot on this transmission, over Hat's objections. She wanted to see with her own eyes what was worth all that the Horde had suffered this past day. Barely listening to her Captain's orders, she ran up the Relay's stairs, ready to fight the next Inhabited person she saw.

Killing Everyone On My Way In: 1d100+40+3 44 Natural 1!
Killing Everyone On My Way In (Luck's Fickler Gaze reroll): 1d100+40+3+10 102

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Glory: 40 -> 41

The Inhabited were everywhere. The dozen volunteers could hear the rest of the Horde fighting valiantly through the few small windows in the tower's walls. Of course, the Inhabited made very little sound as they fought, giving the combat an eerie feel, the sounds of battle only half as intense. And then the realisation; every blood-curdling scream was one of the Horde's own, giving their life for this message to be sent.

And still, the Inhabited were everywhere. It seemed the entirety of the non-essential Thumbscrew staff had taken the mask, and were spilling out of every door, desperate to stop the invaders from reaching the top. But the ThumbsCrew were ready. First Stronk, then Humbug, Waesh and Neebs ran up to the enemy with their weapons flying, grabbing the injured and tossing them crudely down the stairs. Hat quickly climbed up one of the pillars to get some height over the inpromptu arena, then backflipped into a crowd of Inhabited, her spear spinning in a deadly arc.

Using Backflips to Fight Through The Inhabited: 1d100+41+20+3 128

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Dog Kisser posted:

Added pictures to last update - next update either late tonight or tomorrow, so if you're waiting to post... don't? Because you might get shot by this saucy character!

Toe to tip, that's a Bart.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Glory: 41 -> 42

The fight had been vicious, and exhausting, but Grimper and his Twelve followers had made it to the promised land of the Thumbscrew controls. This was the reason for all this fighting; why the Horde was here in the first place. Hat grabbed the last remaining seat at the controls and, while Humbug and the others were discussing something or other, she looked at the panel in front of her. A mass of strange controls, all carefully labelled (thankfully, Tö and Frö still shared the same language) but terms she had never heard of. Modulators, demodulators, power gain... Hat tried to take it all in, and sat, waiting for Grimper to start barking orders that matched the knobs she now controlled.

It reminded her of her first day 'prenicing under Mr. Dash, in the old hat shop she used to call home. She had never felt so nervous, but he'd sat her down with a cup of tëa and explained, a kindly smile poking out from under his mustache. "Your skillcore means you know how to make hats. That's great. But skillcores get tired, and you need to be able to make hats without it. So, today, I will tell you how to construct a simple flatcap. You will follow my instructions precisely. No skillcore cheating! So. Finish your tëa, grab your tools. And do exactly what I say."

"Yes Sir, Mr Dash!" said the young Hat.

Another quick read of the labels. She was ready. "Yes Sir, Mr Grimper," muttered the current Hat.

Following Instructions: 1d100+42+15+10 151

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Glory: 42 -> 43

It had worked, at least. Grimper had been able to talk to Tö, until interference from Sikatris had disrupted the call somehow. An overload of information, Hat struggled to make sense of it all. The rage in Grimper's eyes was clear to see, as he brandished the strange Wailing Nail in his remaining hand. There was a flurry of activity as the twelve ThumbsCrew volunteers debated among themselves just how far they were willing to go for their nation. Hat watched as Humbug approached Grimper, and Splut and Waesh prepared to counter him. Hat leaned back in her chair, and turned to Sucy.

"Sucy. Who knew that carrying a ring could be so difficult? I understand you've got a really tough decision to make, and you're looking for other poeople's perspectives. I think... no, I feel that I'm with Gryph on this one. The Inhabited in the Masks, yes, legitimate target, it'll stop our Hordemates dying outside. But the others, in those weird cocoons in the houses, they're not fighting. The children, the elderly, presumably some pacifists. And we should spare them where possible. Now, I know Splut will disagree, say something like 'They're future enemy combatants, they'll wear the Mask in time, killing them now makes sense.' And for some of them, he's probably right! But I just can't agree to the indiscriminate killing of every single one of them. These people, they deserve at least the chance to make their choice. They can refuse the Mask, run away, hide from Fröan and Töan soldier alike. Especially if word of our victory here gets out. 'Hey, we know how to stop all the Inhabited in just a few seconds, that Mask spells certain doom for you, best run for the hills, hum?'

"You've seen the data, 60% of Noostrans are wearing the Mask. Do the other 40% deserve our mercy?"

One Warcrime, Spare The Innocents: 1d100+43 73

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Glory: 43 -> 44 -> +5 Surviving Noostra bonus, 49 -> +1 gift from Neebs, 50 (UH-OH!)
Ritual Glory: 1 -> 2

One minute Hat was sitting in the chair, staring at a visibly drained Sucy. Then Grimper had grabbed the whole dozen of them in his one remaining arm and jumped straight down the tower's stairwell. Their mission successfully completed, the ThumbsCrew walked out and rejoined the Horde. Sucy had just enough strength to shout "No Guys, No Masters!" and the Inhabited...

...stopped.

Still alive, but under Horde control. Not content with just sparing those still hiding in the city, Sucy had found a non-lethal solution to the Inhabited as well. And to think, just minutes ago Hat was completely willing to write them off as acceptable combat losses. She thought back to her first kill, that Fröan caravan guard she'd stabbed in the neck. The nervousness she had felt back then. And now, standing in a city Madmisted by that city's own army, how casually she had come to regard the taking of enemy lives. Sucy wasn't looking in the best of health, though. Hat rummaged through her pack and pulled out her bottle of Mushbrëwm. Fate had once again been kind to her; a devestating battle that had cost the Horde over one-third of its members, yet Hat had once again emerged unscathed. She approached Sucy and put the bottle of beer in her hand. "You've done a great thing here, today," Hat said to the fungicultivator. "You deserve so much more than this, but I hope it's a start. Drink up, rest, and if you ever need a hat, let me know."

That done, Hat sought out her Captain, Splut. "Now that we seem to have a few hours of downtime, Sir, I thought I'd examine the helmet you acquired from one of the enemy commanders, see what benefits it bestows or any secrets it might contain. Is that OK, Sir?"

As she got to work, Neebs approached her and handed Hat a gift of her own. "Oh, that's too kind of you Neebs, though I think we know who the real hero up there was. Thank you, both for this and for stepping up to the medical tent. Good luck in there, I know you'll do us proud." As Hat took the token, something felt... right. She continued her study of the helmet. Her hands, when not prodding the metal hat from every handle, went down to her hat-making tools. Waesh was the latest member of the Infiltrators, and so needed a hat to match. A Bicorne, she thought, made from dark leather, with a suitably piratical symbol front and centre; the old crown-and-crossbones, the scourge of the Töan-Fröan seas.

Hat continued her study, her hands quickly making another hat, occasionally coughing.

Giving Sucy a bottle of Mushbrëwm. Receiving 1 glory from Neebs - when combined with battle bonus, Hat can now Ascend!
Using Millinery to "identify" Splut's helmet: 2d100+15+10 145 Assuming Splut orders this. Nice!
And for Waesh, a hat!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
;
Skills: Millinery (+15), Backflips (+25)
Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Tuned Shield, Lucky Pearl; Sikatris Scarf, Wagnag Jerky[?], ThumbsCrew Mug
Glory: 0
Ritual Glory: 2 -> 0

Hat had just finished her report when Splut grabbed his helmet and quickly strode off into the distance, saying something about a Captain-only meeting. She watched as he dropped 20 Glory tokens into the latest Luck ritual jar. It seemed like a good idea; it often felt like luck was all that was keeping Hat alive. Checking her pockets and finding a couple of spare tokens, Hat stood up-

-woah! Had everyone else shrunk? Splut still seemed the right size, but the others were a bit smaller. What could have caused this? Hat looked over at the crowd heading for the concert hall. The Ascended Noggins was there, meeting Splut and the other Captains (and Gryph?). So if Noggins and Splut were the same size now, and Hat was the same size as Splut...

Ascension! It must have been that gift from Neebs that had tipped her over the threshold. (Did she know this would happen?) After a few trial backflips as she adjusted to her new body, Hat went over to Magda's caravan and put the two Glory tokens into the jar for Luck's Blind Gaze. [Now at 42/50, I think!] That done, she went looking for Waesh. His hat was ready.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

:;
Squad: Infiltrator (Shares items with other squadmembers, gets double bonuses from consumables used outside combat)
Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Tuned Shield, Lucky Pearl; Sikatris Scarf, Wagnag Jerky[?], ThumbsCrew Mug
Glory: 0 -> 1

Oh no! Hat's notes on Splut's helmet were nowhere to be found. She retraced her steps: she'd given Waesh his hat here, spoke to Magda, worked on the helmet here... She searched the makeshift camp thoroughly, but couldn't find a trace - and now Splut was returning from the meeting! Wait, what were those papers under his arm?

Hat listened to Splut explain his - and by extension their - newfound powers. A shared pool of items, and extra effectiveness when using consumables outside combat. It seemed clear that Splut wanted to explore this angle; to gather a great many items, and then deploy them throughout the Horde for the benefit of all. It also explained how her notes had disappeared. When he had finished, Hat said "I've not really been much of a collector of items so far, and while I'm willing to share what items I have, I'd really rather not part with my spear and shield. They... they're keeping me alive, sir. Probably just superstition on my part, but... yeah. Sorry, Cap." She looked around at the rest of the squad, glad to see that at least they'd all made it through. "Oh, Gigs, I've been meaning to talk to you. You're due a free hat, as an Infiltrator symbol. A perfect place to hide that item you need at just the right time! My skillcore's cooling down right now, but have a think what style or colour you'd like your hat to be, and I'll see what I can do next downtime. Is that OK?"

Hat was gathering the rest of her equipment when Hob approached. He'd heard about the Infiltrators' new-found powers, and wanted to test them, hopefully increasing the effectiveness of the blue (or was it red?) goo and protect him from contracting Monsterism. Hat agreed to the trial, and followed Hob's commands carefully, tensing her legs, getting ready to pour the bottle over him in one smooth backflip.

Administering goo to Hob!: 2d100+1+25+10 176

EDIT: Since it was mentioned in the Discord that applying the goo isn't a roll-worthy action, changing it to helping medics.

The task done, Hat found herself wandering over to the mobile infirmary. She'd usually try to avoid helping out the medics, since there had been a few occasions where her attempts at care had been... lacking. But hey! That was old Hat! Maybe new, Ascended Hat would be better at taking care of paitents! Only one way to find out...

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 16, 2018

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Squad: Infiltrator (Shares items with other squadmembers, gets double bonuses from consumables used outside combat)
Glory: 1 -> 2 -> 5 (3 Glory received from Hob) -> 3 (2 Glory donated to Ringo)

Hat accepted the additional Glory from Hob with a smile.

The healing had gone well. All short term injuries within the Unexpecables had been dealt with. Now, the Horde were gathering for another vote, the evening snow covering the battleground giving this corner of Noostra a clean, almost story-book look. Hat could scarcely believe that these were the same streets that had been so bloodily fought over just hours ago.

In the journey to the vote, she sought out Ringo, the Dekatö, and put 2 Glory tokens into his hands. "I saw you doing great work in the medical clinic today, and you're not far off the limit for ascension, I think, I mean, if you even can, so here. You deserve these, pop those in your pocket or wherever, and I guess we'll see what happens, hum?"

As the vote was discussed, Hat added her voice to the discussion.

"The Horde paid one hell of a price to get us to that tower. Any clue gained while there is worthy of investigation. My vote's for Qwäg's co-ordinates, followed by grabbing a boat in Teret and sailing to the fortress."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Voting for rituals 2 and 7. A Horde that can communicate across vast distances and also cannot die.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 3 -> 4 -> 5 (Extra glory from DogKisser's snafu)

The snow was terrible. This was unfamiliar territory, so Hat had no idea how deep any particular patch of snow would be until she stepped on it. It was slippery. It made walking much harder. The Horde's carts got stuck and required pushing. The dampness was leaking through her shoes. It was cold. The snow was terrible.

The snow wasn't Noostra. She kept going.

Qwag stopped in the middle of a field, as non-descript as the hundreds of other fields they'd passed the last few days, and started to pace. Whatever the Horde was searching for, it lay beneath the soil. Hat watched as Gado sprung into action; the concentrated knowledge of several Digging skillcores being put into action was truly a sight to behold. It inspired Hat; she borrowed a shovel from someone and joined in the digging. She imagined the dirt backflipping out of the rapidly-forming hole as it left her shovel. And if nothing else, the labour kept her body warm and her mind empty.

Backflipping the dirt out of that hole!: 2d100+5+25+10 208 :yayclod:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 5 -> 6

And after a couple of hours of digging, the team hit Olivite. Hat rested by the nearby fire while the rest of the Horde did their exploring. She idly wondered how long it would take until before someone got their legs chopped off like in Fostis. Sure, OG tech was some great stuff, and she was sure whatever they found here would be worthy of some sacrifice; but, when it came down to it, she was quite attached to her legs. Cowardice in the face of the unseen progenitors? Or a sharply-tuned survival instinct, honed by months of battle? Either way, the Cap was down there with his thinking cap, and Humbug and Waesh besides, so Hat though it best the the Infiltrator group spread itself out a bit.

Hat heard Captain Noggins announce her intention to hunt a Basker, and decided to follow the group that was rapidly forming. She saw Captain Snödis, changed almost beyond recognition, take flight with a quiver full of arrows and a few of the Knights spur their steeds into a gallop. Hat walked fairly slowly behind them all, gripping her spear in her two hands. It was unlikely, but if the Basker made a break towards the camp, she'd be ready for it.

Helping hunt a basker: 2d100+6+10 107

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 6 -> 7

In the end, the Basker hadn't come anywhere near her. Hat simply stood in the snow-filled field, watching Verika, Snorkus and Dack put the beast to the sword (or arrow, pigarang and chair). She strapped her spear to her back and joined the group, trying to make herself useful by helping to drag and/or push the carcass back to the impromptu campsite.

The task done, she washed her hands clean and listened as the rumors of what was happening below spread throughout the mooks. They'd established communication with the technology! Neebs was an OG now, or something! And answering questions! What question would you ask of a god? Hat gave the subject some thought... and came up empty. She wasn't sure if it was a lack of faith, or a lack of imagination, but she highly doubted that whatever contraption was down below would either solve the great philosophical mysteries of our time, or be in the market for any headwear.

Thinking of headwear, she realised she still owed Gigs a hat, and the fur from the Basker would be perfect. She grabbed a small strip and started to fashion a Karakul hat, traditionally made from fur and without ear flaps, to match his unflabbable personality.

Making Gigs a hat!: 2d100+7+15 197

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 7 -> 8

Her work finished, Hat handed the Basker Fur Hat to Gigs, who accepted it with a "..." and maybe a slight smile. And just in time, too: the explorers were emerging from the Vault and discussing how best to prevent the enemy from exploiting it. Hat added her voice to those suggesting a simple sealing up to be best. With a weary sigh from a long day's exertion, she grabbed the shovel she'd used earlier in the day and stood ready to bury the past. Time, again, to dig.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 8 -> 9

The Basker Fur hats were a hit! A handful of people had seen Gigs, with his unflappable new headwear style, and decided to have one for themselves. Why, even Captain Starn of the Siegers had asked for one! The journey to Teret passed quickly, with every moment not marching lost in a sewing frenzy. It made Hat feel a bit like her old pre-war self again, a brief moment of respite amidst the horrors.

And all too quickly, the Horde saw the lit windows and streets of Teret, and the small bay of water it surrounded, from atop a nearby hill. Plans were hatched, plans that involved catapulting hordemembers directly into town were quietly quashed, boats skillfully assembled and slowly, on their own or in small groups, The Unexpectables infiltrated the coastal town.

Hat pondered her next move. Grimper had no details as to how to contact the Töan assets in the town, so some element of improvisation was required. Under cover of darkness, Hat snuck into the city and headed for the cheaper end of town. She was hoping that, like Fostis, this town had a small "Töantöwn" area, with a pub stocked full of Töan delicacies catering to Teret's immigrant population. After about half an hour of patient wandering, one such establishment loomed out of the dark, the windows still lit and the atmosphere quietly convival. The sign hanging outside was bare, save for one stripe of red paint from corner to corner in echo of that wonderful flag's background. Hat quickly checked her pockets. Enough Fröan coin for a meal and a drink, looted off the bodies of fallen soldiers, in amounts not really worth mentioning under other circumstances. Hat took a deep breath and entered the Red Stripe pub, ordered a bowl of meat stew and a pint of whatever's cheapest, and sat at a small table, the other chair empty and available to whoever would sit and join her.

Investigating the sleeper agents. In the pub. With beer and food.: 2d100+8+10 92 EDIT: Forgot to increment my Glory, so 93.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 18, 2018

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 9 -> 10

No-one in the pub took Hat up on her unspoken offer. And if she was honest with herself, she didn't mind. It was incredibly nice to just eat a good meal and drink a cold beer, and ignore the realities of the war for just a half-hour. So much better than getting a lump of stale bread from an almost-catatonic Patsy. She ate in silence, looking out the pub's window at the sleepy port town. When she'd finished eating, she put the rest of her Fröan currency on the table and headed for the door. As she reached for the handle, someone tapped on her back. Spinning around with one arm already reaching for her spear, Hat relaxed when she saw it was merely the pub's landlord, a kindly, stout Töan male with closely cropped hair. "Thank you for your custom, Ma'am, and...", a nervous look passed over his face. "... there won't be any trouble tonight, will there?"

Hat tried to give the publican a reassuring smile. "Well, given that no guardsman's walked past this place since I came in, 'trouble' is probably already afoot. But, as long as you're not wearing a uniform tonight, you should be fine. Thank you for the food, it was great. Take care." She stepped through the pub's door, then turned back towards the landlord. "Though, keep a couple of water buckets handy, just in case. I'll do what I can to see that it's not necessary, but, you know, we make plans and the OGs laugh, so... yeah. Bye."

Hat made her way back to the Unexpectable base camp, where the available options were explaned to her. She cast her vote for quietly taking the Red Maple, and agreed with Verika and Waesh's suggestion of renaming the chosen vessel the Queen Reina's Revenge. The plan agreed, she headed towards the boat, climbed a nearby building, and backflipped onto the main deck, to make a head-start on infiltrating the vessel.

Backflipping onto the boat!: 2d100+10+25+10 75
Nat 2 reroll +10: 1d100+10 29 for a total of 102.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
(Dog Kisser here. I got probated like a dork! Posting by proxy!)

Magda’s stoic facade was thoroughly broken by the daring theft of the Queen Reina’s Revenge. She hooted and laughed with the rest of them, mocking the fools of Teret for not having seen them coming. Then she sighed and got back to work. She saw Sucy eyeing her with interest but held up a warning finger - she had to get to work doing the mundane quartermastery stuff because she could really dig into. Also… this was a one way trip. Her wagons and stuff likely wouldn’t survive the probably collision with the Gateway Fortress, so she’d need to downsize a bit. She’d think about it. For now, she wrangled up some loose Hordemates and had them set up her shop. As an afterthought, she directed some of them downstairs to haul up the cargo. They cracked the crates open gleefully, but it wasn’t anything terribly amazing. Some dried fruit, blankets, clothing of various stripes, some workmanlike arms and armor, and a box of Wagnag horns, probably for medicinal purposes. Although… hadn’t Portha worked out some crazy bow with a Wagnag horn base? It didn’t look that tough to replicate. She shrugged, then added that to her list.
    Weapon [5 4 Glory] - Many different weapons can be found or forged in this world of war. Whatever their appearance, they serve to separate men from their lives.
    Encompasses swords, spears, gauntlets, etc. Adds +1 to Combat rolls. Can be used to upgrade existing weapons by 1 each time this is purchased. Describe it when you buy it, though weapons purchased from the quartermaster are of workman-like quality only.
    Armour [5 4 Glory] - Plate, leather or bone put between you and the blades of your enemies. It will do, in a pinch, but if your enemy's tenacity overwhelms your skill you may as well be wearing parchment.
    Encompasses leather armour, plate, etc. Removes 1 from the enemy Combat rolls. Can be used to upgrade existing armour by 1 each time this is purchased. Describe it when you buy it, though armour purchased from the quartermaster are of workman-like quality only.
    Shield [5 4 Glory]- A great slab of tough material sits between you and certain death. Treat it well, and it will save your life.
    Blocks 1 Damage (to yourself) in Combat, then breaks.
    Crossbow Upgrade [3 Glory]- The Wagnag horns were the missing ingredient in replication of Portha’s device. Go nuts with new technology!
    Upgrade any bow to a Heavy Crossbow - upgrade will reflect whatever the base weapon was! Having a Flatpack or Drum will decrease the Glory cost to 1!
    Cowardclaw [5 Glory] - A sickly-yellow flower. Its smell is repulsive and cloying - perhaps that will be enough to turn the blade away from you and towards your ally?
    If you would take Damage during Combat, reroll. If you roll higher than another above you, they take your place.
    Makeshift Sacrifire [10 Glory] - A foul concoction of volatile chemicals, much rougher than a proper formulation would be. It ought to do the trick!
    Can be used during any combat to instantly roll a natural 100 - and then die. However, due to its unfinished nature, roll 1d100 (no modifier) when you use it. On a 1, it backfires, sending the deadly energy at your allies! Despite the mess, harvesting of Skillcores and Gear proceeds as normal.
    Boomstick [5 Glory] - A canister of compressed explosive, easily activated with a small flame. Risky in enclosed areas, but deadly against structures or slow-moving creatures!
    Explosives +25, One Use
    Mining Pick [5 Glory] - A simple pick used to break up rock in mines or to dig holes.
    Mining +25, One Use
    Grappling Hook [5 Glory] - A hook attached to a length of rope, making climbing tall ledges a breeze!
    Climbing +25, One Use
    Charm Manual [3 Glory] - Genuine charm, straight from the master himself! A good primer, at least.
    Charm +10, One Use
    ”Plague Grenade” [2 Glory] - Not much of a grenade, but you certainly wouldn’t want to hit you right in the face or mouth...
    Spread Disease +5, One Use
    Precise Arrow [3 Glory] - Cleverly designed the curve unexpectedly through the air before striking the target.
    Ranged Attack +10, One Use
    Fostis Ale [5 Glory] - A delicious cask of (lightly contaminated) local Fostis Ale! Share it with your friends! Bribe your enemies! Or bribe your friends and share it with your enemies, I'm not your mother!
    Camaradery +25, One Use
    Clean Bandages [5 Glory] - Much better bandages than the crap she had here before!
    Healing +25, One Use
    Scolopherine [10 Glory] - Harsh drugs to force a failing body into consciousness. Packs a wallop, but leaves a nasty headache in its wake.
    Reroll medical roll, One Use
    Compound S256 [5 Glory] - Red goo! Apparently it can cure minor Monsterism, so if you’re sick of having weird eyes or four thumbs, this is what you need.
    Cure Minor Monsterism +50, One Use
    Monsterism Innoculant [5 Glory] - Blue goo! Apparently it can innoculate against Monsterism, pretty much.
    Grants lasting immunity to infection from Monsterists of various types. One Use
    Heartshock [10 6 Glory] 3 in Stock - A powerful drug that speeds recovery sharply. Slightly addictive.
    Restores 1-2 HP, One Use
    Heartshock Tablet [10 Glory] - Heartshock concentrated into a pill. It’s harsh stuff, but it’ll keep you alive. Addictive.
    Restores 2-3 HP, One Use
That done, she turned to the Rituals. She had a lot of options, now, legacy of a Horde who constantly fed her novel and bizarre new ideas and experiences. They were strong, these Unexpectables. She wondered how far they would go - and if it would be enough.
Rituals
Expensive, dangerous, magic. Not easy to perform, not easy to afford, but well worth it to increase the Horde’s survivability. Only a few are available now, but exploring ruins and sacking libraries can discover new ones. The Horde can pay into these gradually, activating them eventually once the required total is met.
  • Harvester’s Necessary Duty [0/50 Glory] - Building on the last Ritual, this one further improves the ability to preserve the fragile organs… and to seek out particularly fine cuts.
    Gain and additional 1d6 bonus Skillcore drops after combat - and a chance of finding advanced cores.
  • Luck’s Empty Sockets [0/50 Glory] - The final Ritual in the chain, the wielder gains the ability to topple the walls of their own misfortune upon their opponent, unlocking a violent burst of power from within.
    Reroll Combat and Conflict rolls on a 4-5 - on a 1, reroll with +30, on a 2, reroll with +20, on a 3, reroll with +10. If the reroll is a number between 1-5, roll 100 automatically.
  • Monsterist’s Beastly Hunger [0/50 Glory] - Building on the last Ritual, this one further infuses the Horde with the beneficial aspects of high Monsterism. In this case, it triggers the freakish regeneration inherent to all such creatures, though constrained and purified by the Ritual's code.
    If 100 is rolled naturally, gain 1 HP, roll again and add the result. If at full health, the next highest roller gains the HP.
  • One Million Drops of Boiling Blood [0/70 Glory] - Recently freed from an Old Guy Vault, this Ritual unlocks the tiny sparks of Esprit lingering in all who fight and fear and kill.
    Horde members may sacrifice one HP to roll an additional 1d100. This can be done multiple times, though each will cause a stigma on your body. It is entirely possible to kill yourself using it - your action will trigger prior to death. Mooks CAN use this, but generally won’t.
  • Bound To Us, All Of Us [0/70 Glory] - This Ritual combines the arcane power of the Thread with the fell knowledge of the Inhabitated and twists it. When ten or more individuals turn their powers towards it, a defeated, helpless, or captured enemy can be turned to the Horde’s side. This will effectively overwrite their former alliances, leaving them pliable and helpful.
  • Heartwood Weathers The Harshest Storm [0/50 Glory] - This Ritual borrows a portion of the Inhabiteds’ uncanny resilience. When a user is reduced to 0, they are instead Crippled, remaining at 1 HP but losing 1 Max HP. They also visibly lose a limb or take some other sort of horrific damage. If they are already Crippled, they are Mangled, remaining at 1 HP but losing 1 Max HP, bringing them to 1/1 and further visibly ruining them. If they are reduced to 0 again, they are out of luck… but they do not die, they are merely too shattered to continue fighting.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 10 -> 11

As she jumped onto the Red Maple's main deck, Hat couldn't shake the look of terror she'd seen in the publican's eyes before. She soon realised why: standing guard on the port side was a very familiar face. A kindly, stout male with close-cropped hair. It could have been the publican's twin brother, if not for this guard's red Fröan skin. Could they be twins? Was that even medically possible? Hat knew that, deep down, she wouldn't be able to kill this soldier, so she snuck up beside him and just pushed him overboard unawares. Hopefully he'd hear the screams of the rest of the Horde going to work and swim to the shore. And if not, well, Hat had tried her best to spare someone this night. She focused insted on tossing the rest of the bodies overboard, checking their pockets for what meagre scraps the Fröan navy gave these doomed souls.

And sooner than she'd expected, the ship was loaded with all the wagons and the Unexpectables were afloat. As they set sail, Hat was relieved to see that Teret's destruction was limited to the docks, and there were no fires currently spreading through the town. Wait, why relieved? These people were the enemy! A soldier that can't kill is like a hat's crown with no brim! No good to anyone. Think of the queen. Think of the killing fields of Noostra. You're part of the Queen Reina's Revenge now, so act like it! Her mind reeling, Hat's hands reached into her pockets, and found some needle and thread. She looked up; some of the sails could use some patching up. Hat closed her eyes and let her skillcore take over. Anything to stop the maelstrom of thoughts raging in her head.

Repairing the sails (Fix the ship): 2d100+11+15+10 132

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

paper bag with a face posted:

After the boss signed off on his (psuedo?) proficiency with a cannon, Grumbus shambled over to Hat. "Hey, uh, you got a minute?", Grumbus rasped, "I'm a Töan of exceptional, uh, baldness. Haven't had a hair on my head in ages, pretty sure I scared it off. Now, I'm fine with that, but with all this marching and whatnot, I've been getting the worst sunburns. Can you set me up with something stylish? Doesn't have to be now, whenever you have time."

Her work on the sails complete, Hat climbed down and grabbed a drink of water, which was where Grumbus found her. "Oh, absolutely, I can make you something to protect yourself with. Maybe one of those hats the soldiers wear in the desert, hmm? And I'll try and match your current armour colouring as much as possible. I'll get right on it!" Hat went below decks, grabbed her hat-making equipment, found a suitably well-lit, quiet spot and, her skillcore still thrumming softly, started to sew.

Here we are! Modelled on the French Foreign Legion's Kepi hat, with colours changed to match Plague-Slayer Garb and a black biohazard symbol to represent Grumbus's speciality. Apologies for the inelegant paintjob!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 11 -> 12

Hat listened to the others voting on the Horde's next move, looking out over the Revenge's left "port" side, at the water's still horizon.

"Yeah, let's get it over with. The sooner it's done, the sooner we get that big parade they promised us."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 12 -> 13 -> 16 [+3 from Grumbus]

AJ_Impy posted:

"Hat, Gigs, Humbug, Marra: It's past time the warlord got some more armor. I'll rally our people, at least those that can make, we'll shape something useful, whate'er it may take. You may help with that or elsewise you see fit, I trust to your judgement, your guile and your wit."

Uh-oh. Rhyme. Snödis had always made it look, and sound, so easy, and now it seemed her Fragment's power had spread to Splut. Was this a new Infiltrator in-crowd team-building thing? Hat tried to join in:

"Uh, um, my name is Hat and I'm here to say, let's do the thing that you.. did a say..., that if Grimper's crown could use my help, I'll, um... do that with a yelp?" She sighed. "Sorry, Cap. My rhymes are crap. I'll go look at that crown now."

Hat went off in search of the Warlord - and paused. This would be the first time she'd directly addressed him since her outburst just before Noostra. Would he hold a grudge? Would he expect an apology from her? Not that she had anything to apologise for, really. Noostra had been, in the end, a source of very valuable information for the Unexpectables, yet at such a steep price. Hat took a few moments to look out at the Fröan countryside slowly drifting past. It was certainly preferable to marching across this OGs-damned land, at least. She decided she'd just sail plainly through the conversation. Offer her help to Grimper, and see how he responds from there. She took a moment to gather her courage, and approached the Horde's leader.

"Ah. Warlord Grimper, sir. Captain Splut suggested that we spend some of this sailing downtime improving your armour. So, uh, with your leave, may I, uh, please, take your crown and see if there's anything I can do for it?"

Improving Grimper's crown: 2d100+16+15+10 135

-----

Later, Grumbus found Hat by the makeshift forge the armourers were using.

paper bag with a face posted:

"Wow, Hat!", Grumbus croaked as he excitedly tried his new hat, "It fits me perfectly! You didn't even have to measure my head! Not that I blame you, I got real bad lice up there somehow. Here," Grumbus fished around in his pockets and removed a vial of Inhabited spit and assorted pocket detritus some glory and passed it to the Horde's milliner, "Go buy yourself a drink or two, just be sure to wash it off first. Magda'll get real mad if you don't."
Giving 3 glory to Hat if they want it.

Hat chucked the tokens straight into her small Glory drawstring pouch, and then started absent-mindedly wiping her hand on her scarf. "Oh, that's very kind of you Grumbus, thank you. I'm glad you like it! Let me know if anyone else would like one, or even a different style of hat. Downtime permitting, it's always nice to put my skillcores to good use."

[Edit: :69snypa: ]

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 16 -> 17

Hat considered the Padded Crown, turning the large metal hat over in her hands. This should be just the thing to give Grimper an edge in future Warlord-on-Commander fights. She presented the crown to him just as another Klopian ship approached. With a quick "By your leave, Sir," to her commander, Hat grabbed her spear and shield, ran to the ship's edge and backflipped onto the rival vessel, making a beeline for their navigator.

Defend the Queen Reina's Revenge!: 2d100+17+25 136 (Assuming this is a combat roll, so no order bonus.)

Edit: Forgot to add my weapon's bonus +3, so it's 139.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 15, 2018

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 17 -> 18

The Klopian attackers seen to, Hat had a quick look at the Skillcores on offer. Sadly, still no hat-making cores were available - was she the only Milliner in either army? - so she tried to grab one of the Sailing skillcores, to give to Waesh as thanks for the excellent service he'd given the Horde so far.

Rolling for a Sailing skillcore (to give to Waesh): 1d100 7 Womp womp! Might still happen though!

Later, Hat had been looking at the destroyed town of Yadol when the Voice started to speak. She froze solid. Oh piss. In her mind's eye she was back in the tunnels of Nägel, the Ugly Wendigo lashing out at her once more. The scars had mostly faded to thin lines, and Ascendancy had rendered them rather abstract across her body, but her brain still recalled the intense pain one of these creatures had caused her. Thankfully, there was only the one Wendigo this time. She looked to her right, and saw the rest of the Horde rising up to stop the monster by any and all means possible, using cannon, siege engine, Madmist canister - poo poo, is that wise? - and even Monsterist branding. Hat grabbed her spear and shield and, avoiding the melee surrounding the creature's head, backflipped away and aimed for its Appendage with only one thought in her mind: Fight!

Attacking the Drenched Wendigo's Appendage: 2d100+18+25+3 105

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 18 -> 19

She was gonna miss this ship. The Queen Reina's Revenge had served the Horde well, and deserved more than to end her days as a battering ram crashing into the Gateway Fortress, or dashed against the rocks below the nearby waterfall. Waesh had been a superlative captain, and Hat thanked him with a present: an additional Sailing skillcore, for resonation purposes.

Her attention turned to the defeated foe. It hadn't been easy, but the Drenched Wendigo had been fought off. Hat portioned off a strip of Monsterist pelt and put it aside with the rest of her hat-making equipment. An unusual skin, to be sure. What horrors might she create, in a millinery shop of her very own, when the war was over and peace ruled throughout the lands? Of course, she'd have to survive the upcoming battle first.

The Horde were engaged in preperations. Sharpening weapons, adjusting armour, steeling their minds for battle. Hat wasn't too sure how best to help the Horde, so she decided to assist Patsy with cooking up one last meal for the troops.

Helping with cooking!: 2d100+19+10 166 (Using 1 ration (no point in preserving!) and choosing to Reroll Lowest Roll in the upcoming fight.)

And then came the discussion about Zapanda. Hat voted to not convert the Fröan scientists. For her, their independence meant that Tö was still a tolerant society; that there were limits to their desire for power, and some warcrimes still beyond the pale.

And then? A fitful sleep, full of dreams of a cobbler's shop overrun by demons. Hat was also a demon. She tried to avoid evil actions, and just make hats. It seemed to go OK. An omen, perhaps?

And then?

Time.

BREAK! DOWN!! THAT!!! GATE!!!!!: 2d100+19+25+3 151 (Assuming combat action, no orders, using Backflips skillcore and weapon.)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 19 -> 20

Fifteen minutes before impact. Hat was stood on the deck with the other Infiltrators, awaiting contact. It had been a few minutes since Grimper's confession, and Humbug's theorising. "My word," said Hat, "it's hard to believe that Grimper of all people would have been laid low by a Scarlet Woman, and quite possibly Sikatris herself!" Noticing that Humbug's hat was a little worse for wear, Hat just grabbed it straight .off the sleuth's head. "Sorry, but I've just gotta fix this, it'd be driving me mad the whole battle otherwise. Plus I'm full of nervous energy this time, need something to do with my hands, not sure why, I mean it's the big one, so we'd better look our best! Anyway, so I was thinking, this love connection might shed a new light of some of the Horde's actions the past few months. Did we go to Nägel just to replenish our forces, or so that Grimper could keep his future sister-in-law safe through the war? Despite his usual, "Ooh I hate the enemy" boilerplate invective. Did he know that Zapanda was there, some pillow talk seeded by his lover? And then, he gets some intel on Sikatris, probably during the Agenou fight, or us returning with our oh-so-spiffy scarves, and he beelines straight to Noostra despite the other, easier Thumbscrews. A sensible decision, or was Lil' Grimp doing the thinking? And once the puppet goes pop and she ain't there, he rushes us straight here to our purpose, barely tolerating the Vault detour due to the river's directness. And once we're in and we get control of the Skipping Lanes or whatever the OGs they're called, he can go anywhere in Frö he wants, i.e. her side. Whether to kill or kiss, or both, well, place your bets."

With a smile, Hat popped the repaired hat back onto Humbug's head, then noticed the slack jaws from the group. "Sorry. Was I babbling? Apologies. I'll focus. One Gate Break, coming up."

-----

The Gate was down! Behind was a barracks, a tower, and another Gate. Hat used her powerful backflips to ascend the tower, taking her spear to those archers unprepared for close-quarters combat. Time to fight!

Attacking the tower of archers: 2d100+20+30+3 147

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Skills: Millinery (+15), Backflips (+30)
Glory: 20 -> 21

The assault on the tower was hard going, but the Unexpectables were giving it their all. Hat pulled her spear out of some unfortunate soldier and risked a look out upon the courtyard that was the battlefield. The barracks were almost destroyed, some butterfly troops had launched, and someone wearing a quite fetching hat was walking towards Grimper.

Sikatris! Ha, she'd just been babbling about her! She should be pressing on, plenty more Fröans to fight, but she wanted to see this reunion, see if her suspicions were right. Hat saw the figure raise one hand-

Sikatris posted:

“By the way... nice scarves.”

-and collapsed to the floor, all breath taken from her. How could she have been so stupid?! She'd removed her scarf in preperation for Noostra, shared jokes with the other Hordemates about Sikatris using them against them all. Hat turned her blue-blood-sodden blade towards herself, trying to cut the fabric away from her neck. She should have forseen this, she should've-

The scarf tightened even further. With that, another realisation. This was all her fault. The scarves were originally destined for Fostis, that accursed place. She'd intercepted the shipment, and bolstered the horde's supplies, and introduced a little fashion into the standard uniforms. And now, how many of her colleagues, her friends, - dear OGs, the loving entirety of Siege Team Six - must also be gasping for air? Good Töans might die for her actions. gently caress!

Hat focused completely on removing the scarf from her neck, praying with her mind that no enemy soldier come across her while incapacitated. She just needed to stay calm and keep cutting...

Spend a turn removing my Sikatris Scarf: No roll required. "Just pretty, nothing else!" My entire arse. t:mad:

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 22, 2018

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Tuned Shield, Lucky Pearl; Sikatris Torn Scarf, Wagnag Jerky[?], ThumbsCrew Mug
Glory: 21 -> 22

Hat concentrated fully on removing the cursed scarf from around her neck. She set her shield up behind her, as makeshift cover from any enemy forces within the Tower, and kept on sawing her way through the threads as they continued to choke the air out of her throat. This meant that she was looking out of one of the tower's windows, over the battlefield, watching Humbug confront Sikatris. Watching Grimper taking aim at one of his own, one of her squadmates.

Watching Humbug go down. Hard.

"No!" Hat shouted. But there was nothing she could do. She was too far away to render any medical assistance; she didn't even have any ranged weaponry to give cover to those who could. As the last scraps of the scarf fell away, her shield suddenly exploded.

Hat turned and saw the tip of a sword pull back for another strike. She instantly realised her mistake - her shout of anguish must have alerted this Fröan soldier to her presence. Hat backflipped to her feet and stood in front of the enemy, her spear in both hands. As she thrust her weapon forward, Hat let out a quick battlecry.

"For Humbug!"

Attacking the tower some more: 2d100+21+30+3 94

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Lucky Pearl; Torn Scarf, Wagnag Jerky[?], ThumbsCrew Mug
Glory: 22 -> 23

Hat sighed as another Fröan body fell to the floor. It had been hard, bloody work, but thanks to the heroic actions of Ringo, Trinh, and Dack the Tower was mostly pacified. There were only one or two floors remaining to be cleared when the scraping sound of the opening Gate could be heard throughout the battlefield. Out marched Cerveau and his troops, and there was a lull in the combat as he addresed the Horde.

Dog Kisser posted:

”GLORY ISN’T REAL! LET GO OF YOUR FALSEHOODS AND BREATHE!”

"'Breathe'? What a strange thing to say," said Hat to herself. For a moment she considered the possibility of further chemical warfare from the Fröans, an invisible relative of Madmist that nullified Glory. She quickly raised her scarf to cover her nose and mouth - but the scarf had been hacked to shreds not minutes earlier, and so couldn't protect her from anything airbourne. And the theory was probably bollocks anyway, just an interesting turn of phrase. As the demoralising effect of Cerveau's words sunk in, Hat heard another voice. Cap.

AJ_Impy posted:

"Infiltrators, to me! All squads, if you're in range, we need a decapitation strike and we need it now! That commander is playing my game, and better than I ever could. We have to end him, or we've already lost. Everyone, concerted effort! I'll get us all close but we cannot do this on our own!"

She was halfway down the first flight of stairs before he'd even finished speaking. Hat quickly ran to her Captain's side. She stood and looked at the small force he was assembling; how small and defenceless the mooks seemed. That was when she realised the truth. Time to give the squad an inspiring speech, hopefully. Maybe?

"Hey. So, Glory totally has meaning. Look at me. I was a regular Töan soldier, just like you. I fought a few battles, made a few hats, survived. And when I hit 50 Glory I Ascended. I suddenly grew, like, a foot taller. I run faster, I'm stronger than ever, I kill Fröans better - even the hats I make have improved! And it was Glory that made it happen. And it's not just me! There's, what, six or seven of us Ascended now? This power is within your reach, thanks to the Glory of... well, Glory! Get enough of it, you get bigger. It happens, it works, it's effective - Glory has meaning.

"Now, Glory might, currently, have no effect on us. But I'm still a tall hat-making bad-rear end soldier. Glory made me what I am today. And if you strike the enemy hard, strike 'em fast, get 'em down on the floor 'til they're begging for your clemency - then, with a pinch of luck, when this battle is over and the Unexpectable Horde is once again victorious - you too will know the true power of Glory, and Ascend.

"And if Glory still seems meaningless to you, well then, kill 'em for their skillcores. Yeah? Let's go!"

As the group attacked, Hat looked at Cerveau. His Espirit was flowing freely from the top of his head. He wasn't wearing a hat. Perhaps she should rectify that. With her spear.

Attacking Cerveau: 2d100+15+3 116
Attacking Cerveau - rerolling the 3: 1d100 78 For a total of 191!

-----

"bröther may I have söme [cübe]?"

Jvie Art Raffle entry: 1d100 84

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Lucky Pearl; Torn Scarf, Wagnag Jerky[?], ThumbsCrew Mug
Glory: 23 -> 24

Cerveau was still alive. He had managed to survive an onslaught of many of the Horde's finest, though it had cost him dearly. Hat rejoiced in his retreat; the feeling of Glory's power returning to her body was far better than any alcoholic buzz she'd experienced since this damned war had started. As their Commander fell back, the Mindbenders regrouped, and attacked.

And Marra's skull exploded.

One of Hat's own. Her squadmate. Snuffed out just like that. Only one thought filled Hat's mind - rage. She took a quick glance at Cap Splut. It was there on his face too, for a moment, the anguish of losing a team member, a subordinate. (Strange, that she'd never seen the like on Grimper's face. The horrors of war rendering him blasé? Or something else?) The expression quickly faded, replaced with the calmness of another bluff. Hat knew then that he'd be OK, another plan had formed, and he had Veilpiercer after all. That metal helmet would surely protect him from the Mindbenders' mental attacks.

And then Hat knew exactly what she needed to do next.

She ran in the opposite direction, back to the relative safety and quietness of the tower. The bottom floor had been this camp's commissary and canteen, which meant that there was an abandoned kitchen, which meant that in one of these cupboards - jackpot! Four rolls of tinfoil. Her Millinery skillcore was all tapped out, but making a variant of the old newspaper hat was literally child's play - any average mook could do it - and tinfoil was extremely popular in hat-making circles for its protective properties. And hopefully she could make use of Splut's weird item teleportation thingy to put them on the heads of those around him, making their attack - and avenging poor Marra - even stronger.

Making tinfoil hats: 2d100+23+10 149

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Skills: Millinery (+20), Backflips (+30)
Glory: 24 -> 25

The Tinfoil Hats had worked. They'd lessened the effects of the Mindbender's psychic attacks, leaving them easy prey for the rest of the Horde. Marra's death was avenged, and a few Horde injuries were prevented as well. Hat breathed a big sigh of relief, the last tendrils of the pink Resonation-smoke still issuing from her lips. This battle was almost over.

The only enemy forces left were the two commanders, and one was already defeated. The broken form of Sikatris lay at Grimper's feet. No matter that he looked seconds away from collapsing himself. Hat voted to keep Sikatris alive, unconverted if possible. She might be an excellent source of information, if the Horde can extract it from her; if not, then her humiliation would sap enemy morale far more than her demise.

And so, Cerveau was the last remaining worry. It made for an impresive show, the injured Commander leaning on his console, commanding the very air to leave the room and plunging the Horde into darkness. Oh, but the Fröans had tried this trick before, hadn't they? Hat remembered the stories Verika had told about fighting in the Dark Room as part of the Öxnyard battle. Don't panic, trust your instincts, strike only when you're sure. And as Ringo's Espirit flared in the darkness, Hat saw it reflected off dozens of Tinfoil Hats. The Horde could discern one another in the dark! And that distant dark blob with no hat, well, no prizes for guessing who that was. Hat leapt into the air, her trusty spear ready.

Attacking Cerveau with Backflips: 2d100+24+30+3 125
Skipping Lane roll: 1d100 9

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Skills: Millinery (+25), Backflips (+35)
HP: 2/3
Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Defender Shield, Lucky Pearl; Torn Scarf, Wagnag Jerky[?], ThumbsCrew Mug
Glory: 25 -> 26

The portal was sucking all the air out of the room, and Hat's lungs felt aflame with pain due to the lack of oxygen. She just had to hold out a few more seconds...

Finally, the mess of flesh that had once been Cerveau stopped twitching. Someone pressed a button on the console, and the whoosing sound slowly died down. The horde stopped for a moment, pink smoke pouring forth from their heads and slowly drifting towards the portal, lit only by the green fire of Ringo's Espirit reflecting off the tinfoil hats worn by many of the troops. The battle was over, and once again the Unexpectables had won. Who would expect anything different? At the signal from Grimper, the Horde resumed their carnage, easily switching modes from attack to plunder.

Hat wandered through the building to the still battlefield outside, her lungs still complaining. The situation outside had changed. In the haste to topple Cerveau, the prisoner wagon had been unguarded. Magda, that powerful quartermaster and Nailsmith, and the last line of protection, had died. Sikatris had not been converted, and so had escaped at the first opportunity. Worse, Zapanda and all her Nägel colleagues had also siezed the moment to flee. The only figure Hat could see was Humbug, recent survivor of a point-blank Grimping. Hat muttered a quiet curse to herself - she voted for clemency expecting Sikatris to remain their prisoner, not for it to cost the Horde all their captives. Still, nothing to be done about it now. Hat saw Sucy tending to the body of her teacher, and nodded. She was sure Magda's funeral service would be well-attended.

With a reduced staff, the portable medical building had quite a queue outside it by the time Hat arrived. She took her place among the wounded and looked over the looting taking place. She fully expected the only skillcore that she was interested in would already have been claimed by the time the medics were done with her.

Once Hat had left the medics, thanking the Nailbound who had helped her, she looked across the now-lively battlefield. The Captains were having one of their high-level confabs again, so she still had a little time. She ventured as close to what remained of the barracks as seemed sensible, the traces of the toxic warfare still dissolving some of the flagstones where she stepped, and grabbed a new shield for her troubles. Not Tuned, alas, but should come in handy in a pinch.

Claiming a Defender Shield. Self-Resonating both skillcores, Millinery now at +25 and Backflips at +35.

Across the battlefield she saw Gigs, standing completely still, looking down at something. She joined him and saw what he was looking at - the remains of their colleague, Marra. Wordlessly, they each took one end of the body and carried it outside the Gateway Fortress, going down the hill a little before putting it down next to a tall tree, where they started to dig. Once the shallow grave was dug, they relieved the body of any valuables and buried their friend. Hat took the Piccolo Reedblade and carved "MARRA" into the tree's bark, removed her hat from her head and stood next to Gigs. She waited for some appropriate words to come to her, but nothing sprang to mind.

"...", said Gigs. Hat nodded, and they went back inside.

The Infiltrator Squad had reconvened, Hat and Gigs rejoining Cap Splut, Waesh, Humbug, and the recently-converted Skett in a small group at the side of the former commissary. Splut laid out the plan - help Humbug in whatever way possible. Hat nodded, and looked at the Sleuth closely for the first time since Grimper's blast. He'd gone through Hell, but was still standing, the desire for Truth still burning through every sinew in his body. Hat picked up a nearby Mindbender helmet. The designs shared some similarities with Cap Splut's own Veilpiercer, but they'd obviously designed these without access to the original. With enough time, Hat hoped she'd be able to remove some of the sense perception doodads from the helmet, and install them into Humbug's battered old hat.

Combining the Mindbender Helmet tech into Humbug's hat: 2d100+25+25+10 130

Just before she set off to work, Hat took the time to shake Skett's hand. "Welcome to the Unexpectable Horde, and the Infiltrators. More like Infil-traitor in your case though, right? My name is Hat, and I make hats. You being part of the squad means you get a hat. Just tell me what kind of hat you'd like, and when I get a spare moment I'll make it for you. Sound good?"

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Equipment: Knightly Spear (+3), String-Slayer Armour (+2), Defender Shield, Lucky Pearl; Torn Scarf, Wagnag Jerky[?], ThumbsCrew Mug
Glory: 26 -> 27

The Skipping Lane. To walk across the vast land in a matter of moments, just like the OGs. The very concept was terrifying, and awe-inspiring. For her part, Hat tried to block out all the strangeness surrounding her, just focusing on putting one foot in front of the other, her knitting needles clacking all the while, Skett's new Knitted Hat taking shape in her fingers. The Hode marched on, the crystalline pathway stretching ahead to infinity...

...until it didn't, replaced by a familiar room, the decor slightly altered. A basement, somewhere deep in Frömage, the Frö capital. Hat was at a loss as to what to do next; luckily, Cap Splut had an idea.

AJ_Impy posted:

Hat, we've been hearing interesting things about the mindbender helms. I was thinking, Veilpiercer offers entirely passive processing based on sense data. Can you use your hat mastery to have a Mindbender Helm linked into that passive processing as an additional sensory source, feeding back to it and the other mindbender helms?"

"Linking OG tech into a network, sharing and transmitting data over quite a distance..." Hat sucked her teeth. "I guess they are hats, after all. I'll try my best." She asked Humbug if she could borrow his modified hat, and Splut to lend her Veilpiercer, while her skillcore got to work.

Networking the Mindbender helmets and Veilpiercer: 2d100+26+25+10 139
Nat 2, rerolling +10: 1d100+10 59 Total: 196

Hat handed the hats back to their respctive owners and joined the group with the most Mindbender helmets, which looked like the squad heading right. If there were any feedback problems, she should be ready to assist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Glory: 27 -> 28

"Sounds like we've got a few options, then. One, whatever that tree is, if it's producing the Inhabited masks, we need to stop it. Operation Timber. Second, this place has a Thumbscrew, and we know how to deal with those, yeah?" Hat took a swig of water from her commerative mug. "Thirdly, we've a room full of Inhabited right here that needs neutralising, and we can re-unite Snödis with her Tö-Pain, and who can say no to love? Fourthly, secure a flying contraption, secure a means of escape. Dying here, it might be necessary, but doesn't appeal. Five, we've got Mason's diversion explosion, denying the enemy weapons and time, and finally, there's Vera, our current captive.

"My personal preference? We do this in two stages. We convert Vera and rescue Tö-Pain first. They both should have good intel that'll help us with the other plans. Once that's done, we explode the room, wait a few mins, attack the tree and Thumbscrew, and once both are confirmed down we grab a butterfly machine, all get on board and fly to safety.

"Any comments?"