Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Quick version: I need advise on a shelf for storing a bunch of 10.5" reel to reel backup tapes.

Long version: I recently had to recall a bunch of tapes from an offsite storage we were no longer doing business with. I was asked to house them locally which generally I can do no problem. I expected some old LTOs or maybe even the older 3590 tapes. What I got was nearly three hundred 10.5 inch reels (3M Black Watch No. 703 Extra Length 6250 CPI all dated in the early 90s). I have no place for these things and they don't quite fit in a standard filing cabinet. I have left them in the boxes they were shipped in for six months but I need to get them off the floor of the data canter and on a shelf somewhere. These things don't shelf so easy and no one seems to sell those old cabinets for these things.

Any ideas? I get they may not even be readable they are so old, but I need to at least make some effort on this. I did call a data conversion place to price having these put on a different format. I thought they accidentally added too many zeros. I can't imagine the look on managements face when I try to sell that expense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
They do have them, but now they want your first born to use it.

I remember these have little square tabs on the outer ring for hanging them on pegs....

Edit: 100% agree on the validity of the medium. I can't imagine they read properly.

• Locked thread