Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Based on season 1's depiction of Sean, I feel like they changed directions a bit to make him the boss/supervisor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
So I was re-watching season 1 the other day and I noticed something: when Shawn comes to judge Eleanor on whether she belongs in the good place or not, her case number is something like 000003.

Assuming Mindy St. Claire is 000001, who is the other one?

Also, can't wait to meet Doug Forcett, because I assume we have to.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

i am the bird posted:

Based on season 1's depiction of Sean, I feel like they changed directions a bit to make him the boss/supervisor.
He's Michael's boss whom Michael pitches his idea to at the meeting in the last ep of S1.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's Michael's boss whom Michael pitches his idea to at the meeting in the last ep of S1.

He's just among all of the other demons in that board room, though, no?

And I guess I mean more so his reaction to the experiment as well. I don't know that his demeanor now jives with him participating so much in the first good place.

It's super minor, though. Not really meant to be a criticism.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

He's just among all of the other demons in that board room, though, no?

Pretty sure he's at the head of the table. I definitely remember getting the impression that he was the boss.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Pretty sure he's at the head of the table. I definitely remember getting the impression that he was the boss.

Yeah, you're right. I was remembering him just being among the other actors. Apologies, y'all, for being a bad tv watcher.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
"Just need the boss man to sign off" is what Michael said when he need Sean's approval for attempt number 2. Wonder what elaborate web of lies that Michael keep spinning in order to keep the experiment continuing. They screwed the first attempt after about 3 months, so one would think Sean would pop in sooner with an inspection. Did anybody narrow down the time range for the 800 odd attemps?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dervyn posted:

"Just need the boss man to sign off" is what Michael said when he need Sean's approval for attempt number 2. Wonder what elaborate web of lies that Michael keep spinning in order to keep the experiment continuing. They screwed the first attempt after about 3 months, so one would think Sean would pop in sooner with an inspection. Did anybody narrow down the time range for the 800 odd attemps?

The writers said about 3 to 400 years.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I figure Sean's probably got too much on his plate to give Michael's work a ton of attention. He might not even have become aware that attempt #1 was going off the rails if he hadn't been brought in to play the judge character.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The bees with teeth take a lot of management.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The only thing that I'm confused by in this show so far is the conversation Michael and Sean had in Ellanors bedroom in the S1 finale, and Sean said something like "your boss will be mad." Sean is Michael's boss ,right? And with as dry as Sean is I don't think it was a joke.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is this a 13 episode season or a full one?

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 8, 2017

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
13 :(

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Your Taint posted:

Is this a 13 episode season or a full one?
I think they're splitting it in two too, so 7 eps then a break.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Your Taint posted:

The only thing that I'm confused by in this show so far is the conversation Michael and Sean had in Ellanors bedroom in the S1 finale, and Sean said something like "your boss will be mad." Sean is Michael's boss ,right? And with as dry as Sean is I don't think it was a joke.

Maybe Sean is something like the project leader, rather than his direct superior. He has some control over Michaels actions, but most decisions happen one level above, based on Seans reports. Obviously the bad place would have a highly bureaucratic hierarchy. Imagine what the shareholders meeting is like.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Your Taint posted:

Rewatch it. There are very specific emphases on certain words. He's very skeptical of the whole project, but it's still Michael's neighborhood. And he's definitely aware that they both know he's his boss.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Taint posted:

They were talking that way because they couldn't risk being overheard by the humans. Sean was pointedly telling him that if he didn't fix this up perfectly he was in big trouble.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

vonnegutt posted:

So I was re-watching season 1 the other day and I noticed something: when Shawn comes to judge Eleanor on whether she belongs in the good place or not, her case number is something like 000003.

Assuming Mindy St. Claire is 000001, who is the other one?

Also, can't wait to meet Doug Forcett, because I assume we have to.

It's cool that you bring this up because I was just considering the possibility that the four main characters need not have been reset the same number of times. Since of them might have a history with Sean or Michael without knowing about it prior to the good place.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

They just sort of forgot about flying didn't they

Also the cgi on this show is so goofy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

They just sort of forgot about flying didn't they

Also the cgi on this show is so goofy

Well I mean, it was really only introduced to make Eleanor (and Chidi I guess) suffer by not being able to do it. I forget, did they ever show Tahani or Jason flying? It might not even really be possible and it was just a show by all the demonfolk to trick the humans into disappointment. They probably also did at least a few times during those hundreds of resets we never saw.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Tahani and Jian Yu volunteered to clean up the trash; in fact it was Tahani's idea. Eleanor was able to fly for a few seconds before the garbage started raining in the pilot hour.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Normally I prefer full seasons, but with a comedy show like his I think they are better off with 13, in order to keep up the comedy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Janet was giving the flying instructions and she can't lie.

Which makes me wonder if Janet knows they are in the bad place before the humans figure it out.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Senor Tron posted:

Janet was giving the flying instructions and she can't lie.

Which makes me wonder if Janet knows they are in the bad place before the humans figure it out.

Very likely. She also reported that her function was to attend to the humans and keep them happy. Based on how she interprets that it would lead her to purposely omitting certain facts.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think there might be one way that Tahani's sister ends up in the good place, and ironically enough it's all because of Tahani. See, from what we've seen Tahani's sister was a horrible person in life, but then something happens to her: she watches her sister die. Not only that, but it could be argued that she was the cause of her sisters death and the last thing she ever said to her was "I don't think of you at all" and she had to live the rest of her life knowing that. That's the kind of thing that'll change a person.

Honestly, I'd kind of love it if she was sent to the Bad Place, but managed to make it to the Good Place in like ten years

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think there might be one way that Tahani's sister ends up in the good place, and ironically enough it's all because of Tahani. See, from what we've seen Tahani's sister was a horrible person in life, but then something happens to her: she watches her sister die. Not only that, but it could be argued that she was the cause of her sisters death and the last thing she ever said to her was "I don't think of you at all" and she had to live the rest of her life knowing that. That's the kind of thing that'll change a person.

I was thinking roughly the same, except for Pillboy. It'd be loving hilarious if he turned his life around after Jason died and got into the Good Place. Just imagine him with the exact same attitude and mannerisms, but all saintly and wise.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
At the end of the season they'll be at the good place, where Eleanor gets to have a choice between two potential soulmates.
Her parents.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I think Rebecca Hazelwood (Tahani's sister) is going to show up more at some point. She isn’t a huge star or anything but bigger than just a couple lines.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Eleanor called everyone else ding-dongs. Did she steal that expression from Trevor? If so its good to know his Bad Place influence is still with us even if he couldn't make it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The phrase "ding-dong" did not originate with the charactor Trevor

So about the timeline of their deaths: I was thinking on it the other day, after it was brought up, and I can't remember if it was ever established that they actually all "came in" (died) at the same moment.

Eleanor died in Arizona, two time zones earlier than Ohio, where Tahani died. Tahani died at a party at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, which presumably was held at night. But in Phoenix, it was broad daylight when Eleanor beefed it under the boner pill truck. I think? I can't remember if her death was actually shown.

Anyway. It's entirely possible that these were just four people pulled from the bad-Bad Place by Michael. He had all of them on his chart in the season finale, he easily could have cherry-picked them from the tortured souls already present. Reset their memories and no-one's the wiser.

Or they could have all come in at the same moment and simply been held in limbo. Who knows

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yo I'm gonna guess this without having read the thread and hope people have come to the same conclusion:
Michael was retired after Shawn found out he was rebooting (or even after the first or second reboot) and he's in the Bad Place:
-he has to team up with humans whom he hates
-constantly frustrated by failures and lovely coworkers
-got a stomachache after Jason figured it out

That or he's getting a taste of his own medicine by Good Place people who have maybe usurped control from the overall order.

I love this show so much.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

[quote="“Lycus”" post="“477125349”"]
I’m just never gonna dig these jokes designed for Easterners.
[/quote]

Imagine how we feel when Schur's show "Brooklyn 99" is filmed almost entirely in LA. Parks and Rec and The Office too, drives me nuts.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

[quote="“pwn”" post="“477218994”"]
Or they could have all come in at the same moment and simply been held in limbo. Who knows
[/quote]

Mindy was held in memory-less limbo while they argued her case, so probably the same.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

There's a surprising lack of old people in the afterlife.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Neither humans nor demons want to totter around as 90-year-olds; it wouldn't be the good place for humans and demons wouldn't sign up for it. There are a bunch of middle-aged people, though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
We have no real idea of what the actual good place looks like, nor the bad place for that matter. It could be that old people and really young people have their own neighbourhoods, or that Michael simply decided to not include any in this experiment.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Truth is it's just plain harder to film with minors and/or senior citizens. I'd wager it's more of a production decision than a creative one.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Oasx posted:

We have no real idea of what the actual good place looks like, nor the bad place for that matter. It could be that old people and really young people have their own neighbourhoods, or that Michael simply decided to not include any in this experiment.

If someone actually was in the good place it wouldn't really make much sense having to spend eternity as a 90 year old. Nobody actually enjoys being 90, they just don't have any other choice. It seems to me that eternal youth would be one of your most basic heaven perks.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Until they showed us flashbacks to their lives on Earth I assumed that people appeared in the Good Place at what they considered to be their ideal age. At least when Chidi was first introduced his background suggested someone who had a long career behind them. Then it turns out they just all died young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Earth is the Good Place. People who don't deserve it die young to go to the Bad Place.

• Locked thread