Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thaddius the Large posted:

Fun note, there is a distinction between the Blackfoot and Blackfeet tribes in the Montana/Canada area, makes it real fun when trying to adhere to federal regulations and the family can’t remember which they actually belong to.

lol. It's interesting stuff! Has anyone done any DNA studies ?
The movement of modern humans into the Americas, keeps getting pushed back by ridiculous numbers, even before the ice allowed it. I love this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

removed because dumb and offtopic

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 12, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Unless you have actually met the Native side of your family, you aren't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

Unless you have actually met the Native side of your family, you aren't.

I have, and I am. Sorry.

To clear things up, I wasn't saying that my great-grandmother was the only one in my family. My family was entirely Native/Black until my father entered the picture.

It really makes me kind of pissed off when people pull this poo poo. You wouldn't tell someone with dark skin "unless you've met your African relatives, you aren't Black". Jesus gently caress. My skin color and bone structure alone make it pretty clear.

precision fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 12, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

I have, and I am. Sorry.

To clear things up, I wasn't saying that my great-grandmother was the only one in my family. My family was entirely Native/Black until my father entered the picture.

It really makes me kind of pissed off when people pull this poo poo. You wouldn't tell someone with dark skin "unless you've met your African relatives, you aren't Black". Jesus gently caress. My skin color and bone structure alone make it pretty clear.

Is your father Irish, it's always the Irish that fucks up a gene pool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

Is your father Irish, it's always the Irish that fucks up a gene pool.

...yes. How'd you know that? :catstare:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

...yes. How'd you know that? :catstare:

Rocksicles posted:

it's always the Irish that fucks up a gene pool.

You play the odds.
The reason the have electrical sockets so close to the ground is so Irishmen can't gently caress them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

I have, and I am. Sorry.
That was a general "you," not specific.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You is a Colonel, What is the General, get it right FAU!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

That was a general "you," not specific.

Fair enough, but I think you can see how it came off that way seeing as how I'm the one who brought it up. :)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

Fair enough, but I think you can see how it came off that way seeing as how I'm the one who brought it up. :)
Yeah it's legit, I skipped at least a page.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
What even is this loving thread anymore

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Canned Panda posted:

Can confirm. Let me also add that for some of us, it also makes hops taste nasty.

And I hate the scheduling for this show.

I had no idea the cilantro thing was linked to hops tasting absolutely revolting to some people, too. I'm one of the poor, unfortunate sods that has the "cilantro is soapy and nasty" gene and I also vehemently dislike any hoppy IPA or lager.

I'm sure this would mean I'm destined for the Bad Place.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TwoPair posted:

The Bad Place

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TwoPair posted:

If Couch Chat is Cannonball Run, this thread is Cannonball Run 2.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
more like... the josh gad place

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Snooze Cruise posted:

more like... the josh gad place

hey, id be ok with only being able to watch things hes starred in. Just stick Beauty on repeat

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
New episodes in January? I'll see you then, thread. Take it sleazy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

People in the South more regularly claim Native heritage to either hide a black person in the family tree and/or to increase their attachment and “birthright” to the region

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

New episodes in January? I'll see you then, thread. Take it sleazy.

don't burn yourself on that hot take cowboy

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

theflyingexecutive posted:

People in the South more regularly claim Native heritage to either hide a black person in the family tree and/or to increase their attachment and “birthright” to the region

This happened to one of my best friends' family actually. Their mom always claimed to have Melungeon heritage to explain why some of the extended relatives were a tad "dusky." One 23andMe test later and it turned out that they more than a few direct black ancestors and the whole Native American was an angle to hide that. As a mixed dude, I found this hilarious.

The South in a nutshell.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

precision posted:

don't burn yourself on that hot take cowboy

You're right, it wasn't organic.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There have been some pretty good quotes floating around the internet from people on 23andme/ancestry.com forums who insist that the test has to be wrong because it says they are 99% white when in fact great-grandad assured them that they are 1/6 cherokee.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

withak posted:

There have been some pretty good quotes floating around the internet from people on 23andme/ancestry.com forums who insist that the test has to be wrong because it says they are 99% white when in fact great-grandad assured them that they are 1/6 cherokee.

I have the most boring ancestry, I can trace every ancestor back to the mid 1700s to a 50 mile radius around Kranj, Slovenia.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

I have the most boring ancestry, I can trace every ancestor back to the mid 1700s to a 50 mile radius around Kranj, Slovenia.

Wow... any Vampires?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

That's some impressive levels of inbreeding.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So partner and I are really enjoying this show, and we are caught up. Also caught up with superstore. As fans of sitcoms, especially of parks and rec, community and in those veins, any other shows in the last couple years we have missed that we can get started on?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

hanales posted:

So partner and I are really enjoying this show, and we are caught up. Also caught up with superstore. As fans of sitcoms, especially of parks and rec, community and in those veins, any other shows in the last couple years we have missed that we can get started on?
Apartment 23
Fresh Off the Boat
Brooklyn Nine-Nine

All pretty close to what you like.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Apartment 23
Fresh Off the Boat
Brooklyn Nine-Nine

All pretty close to what you like.

Thanks!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also assuming you've seen the 2000s-era classics like 30 Rock and Arrested Development? Better Off Ted, too, if you missed it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rocksicles posted:

lol. It's interesting stuff! Has anyone done any DNA studies ?
The movement of modern humans into the Americas, keeps getting pushed back by ridiculous numbers, even before the ice allowed it. I love this stuff.

I did. Turns out I have a whole lot of different European in me and I'm 100% whitey. I was hoping for some oddball surprise I never would have suspected, but alas, it was not to be.

Now where's my mayonnaise?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also assuming you've seen the 2000s-era classics like 30 Rock and Arrested Development? Better Off Ted, too, if you missed it.

Yeah we are caught up for the most part wth that sort of stuff. It’s just with our son getting older our time to invest in new stuff gets lower so we try to be pickier

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I hate musicals but the first season of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is great! Still need to watch the 2nd.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Boywhiz88 posted:

I hate musicals but the first season of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is great! Still need to watch the 2nd.

2nd season is good but is very much a transition period for s3 which is straight up amazing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't watch a ton of TV, so I don't have a very wide basis to make comparisons from, but I just watched through the first (and only) season of Search Party because the second season starts tonight, and it reminds me a lot of The Good Place. There's less pun humor and more satire humor, and it's not super high concept or anything, but I think I enjoy both shows for basically the same sorts of reasons. You do have to swap Ted Danson for Ron Livingston, though, which is a bit of a downgrade.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Boywhiz88 posted:

You need to get caught up with the most recent episode right away.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Search Party is great, it managed to pull off the "lol millennials" thing in a way that somehow never felt grating.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Search Party is great. I dunno how similar I’d say it is to this, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, it's a lot more mean-spirited than The Good Place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
Another vote for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. That and The Good Place are my two favorite comedies that are currently running.

• Locked thread