Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Relevant to the conversation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If the Doctor died, when the architect of whichever place he was going to went to the waiting room to welcome him they'd find him missing, already back in the universe having more adventures. :)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The Doctor will go to the same place that all the characters from MLP, Stephen Universe, and Rick and Morty go to.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Dr. Who chat is somehow even worse than accent chat. Time to reboot this thread.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What does God need with a time machine?!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Dr. Who goes to a place where Steven Moffat writes all his scripts for eternity. The real bad place.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Speaking of the doctor, what about Doogie Howser?

I'm gonna go with Wilson if we're picking doctors.

Also, side note: Uncle Phil.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

fruit on the bottom posted:

The Doctor will go to the same place that all the characters from MLP, Stephen Universe, and Rick and Morty go to.

T-t-there's no *burp* there's n-n-n-no place you go a-after you die, fruit on the bottom. You're dead, f-f-fruit on the bottom. You're dead.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Dr. Who chat is somehow even worse than accent chat. Time to reboot this thread.

man, how much of a loving sadsack do you have to be to let your fear of ~NEEEEERDS~ get in the way of entertaining a legitimately interesting question that's actually tangentially relevant to the show? i don't even like DW and i think this is a pretty neat line of thought

like, the core question here is, how the gently caress would the X Place system react to a being that's lived an extremely goddamn long time across what humans would perceive as multiple different "selves," all with their own unique personality and motivations and thoughts, and perceived most of that time non-linearly on top of that? can that sort of thing even be judged the same way a human would be? do you judge each iteration individually and try to average them out?

essentially, if a Janet somehow got a soul on Earth, what in the name of hell would happen to it when it dies, given that we've actively seen that Janets make judging mechanisms poo poo themselves? like, if you absolutely need this to not be DW-related at all, let's just reframe the question to that

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 12, 2018

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

man, how much of a loving sadsack do you have to be to let your fear of ~NEEEEERDS~ get in the way of entertaining a legitimately interesting question that's actually tangentially relevant to the show? i don't even like DW and i think this is a pretty neat line of thought

like, the core question here is, how the gently caress would the X Place system react to a being that's lived an extremely goddamn long time across what humans would perceive as multiple different "selves," all with their own unique personality and motivations and thoughts, and perceived most of that time non-linearly on top of that? can that sort of thing even be judged the same way a human would be? do you judge each iteration individually and try to average them out?

essentially, if a Janet somehow got a soul on Earth, what in the name of hell would happen to it when it dies, given that we've actively seen that Janets make judging mechanisms poo poo themselves? like, if you absolutely need this to not be DW-related at all, let's just reframe the question to that

I guess we'd need to ask Phineas Gage. The doctor's multiple incarnations aren't that dissimilar to the wild personality changes that can happen as a result of traumatic brain injury. The doctor gets injured, and heals as a different, but not totally different, person. Would someone who was a good person, gets in a terrible accident, then becomes prone to fits of wild rage and depression get judged as two people? I bet it'd just get counted as the same person.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly the Doctor's situation is more like movie MPD except each personality gets one long run and then has to gently caress off

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Each incarnation is judged separately and extracted from the whole to each receive their individual punishments/rewards.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

You've all put way more thought into this than the actual divine architects of the good/bad places.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's kind of a weird discussion that seems to misunderstand the thesis of the show

Me, watching Parks and Rec: Doctor Who would have been able to fill in the pit..

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Slime posted:

Each incarnation is judged separately and extracted from the whole to each receive their individual punishments/rewards.

but enough about the copies of Eleanor and co. we've been observing for two seasons...

the Good Place is actually a Sabornost prison for Eleanor gogols

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

hanales posted:

E: thinking about it I cannot think of any tv characters that would make it. Not even from cartoons. Obviously that’s kind of the point but it’s an interesting exercise.

Dale Cooper would make it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

Dale Cooper would make it.

Even after the hubris he exhibited in season 3?????????????

*prepares 40 page dissertation on what REALlY happened*

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

It's kind of a weird discussion that seems to misunderstand the thesis of the show

Me, watching Parks and Rec: Doctor Who would have been able to fill in the pit..

The real bullshit Doctor Who worship answer is "The Doctor used time travel to dig the pit in the first place so they'd all come together in the end".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mulva posted:

The real bullshit Doctor Who worship answer is "The Doctor used time travel to dig the pit in the first place so they'd all come together in the end".

They'd be in the pit and somehow escape using the screwdriver because that's how every modern Who problem is solved.

Also, is that you Boogaleeboo?

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

but enough about the copies of Eleanor and co. we've been observing for two seasons...

That was not a reference I was expecting to see thrown in. Well, they did the trolley problem, so a few rounds of prisoner's dilemma would be fair too.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I would watch the hell out of an episode of this.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Taear posted:

They'd be in the pit and somehow escape using the screwdriver because that's how every modern Who problem is solved.

Also, is that you Boogaleeboo?

Last time I checked.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I never said they were going to the bad place :smuggo:

the joke was that I didn’t specify

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I just wanna go to the alternate reality where Ted Danson got to play the Doctor.

I mean besides this reality where he was basically the Doctor for season 1 of this show because :discourse:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ted Danson was already a doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Look, I’m going to need to interrupt you all to say you need to see William Jackson Harper’s excitement at seeing a giraffe. Courtesy of D’arcy Carden.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

William Jackson Harper is amazing and I can't believe this is the first really "big" thing he's been in. Reading up on him, apparently he was considering quitting acting before he got cast as Chidi.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Losing your poo poo and writing three paragraphs defending your dr who/good place crossover fanfic against a joke: -83458945987345

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i was curious what kind of name "d'arcy" was and oh. oh no..

quote:

Do you get strange pronunciations of your name because of the apostrophe?
I do. I even did yesterday, and I don’t usually correct people, but I boldly corrected someone and I felt like a jerk. She just went “Are you Dee-Arcy?” and I said, “It’s Darcy,” and then right away I was like, “Oh, poo poo. I’m a jerk.” Just let her have this.

It’s your name!
Oh right. That’s right. But can I tell you one thing about this name, Alex?

Yes, please.
I added the apostrophe.

[Gasp!]
[Gasp!]

Twist!
Yes, big twist. You are shook. So when I was in junior high I was really obsessed with the band Smashing Pumpkins and

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I started working with a guy who has the exact drat voice inflection as Jason and it weirds me out hearing him say intelligent science stuff.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jerusalem posted:

William Jackson Harper is amazing and I can't believe this is the first really "big" thing he's been in. Reading up on him, apparently he was considering quitting acting before he got cast as Chidi.

Well that would have been a drat shame.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

hanales posted:

She also does good things out of spite though. And many of the things that worked out for her worked out in spite of her behavior, or due to the other people in her life making up for her flaws.

I will argue this all day!*

*not really :)

E: thinking about it I cannot think of any tv characters that would make it. Not even from cartoons. Obviously that’s kind of the point but it’s an interesting exercise.

Fairly certain Cartoon Tick would make it, gambling problem aside.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

nooneofconsequence posted:

I started working with a guy who has the exact drat voice inflection as Jason and it weirds me out hearing him say intelligent science stuff.

So I assume at some point we're going to have one or all of the following:

* The Jortles chromosome
* The Jortles quantum particle
* The Jortles galaxy
* Jortlite mineral formation

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Losing your poo poo and writing three paragraphs defending your dr who/good place crossover fanfic against a joke: -83458945987345

Positing that insignificant things peeve you get you negative points: -85738584.774

Posting about posting that negative things that peeve you get negative points:-5747839385858848448532

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Posting: -1 per letter and again every time someone reads your post

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if the actual afterlife works anything like the one in this show then each and every poster on this website except maybe the guy who started that school charity drive is going to hell

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Adding a gratuitous apostrophe to your own name: -143

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Posting: -1 per letter and again every time someone reads your post

Hail Satan and :justpost:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if the actual afterlife works anything like the one in this show then each and every poster on this website except maybe the guy who started that school charity drive is going to hell

Not sure I’d mind. Those penis flatteners sound kinda hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Not sure I’d mind. Those penis flatteners sound kinda hot.

I've definitely seen pictures of an actual flattened penis on this very website.

• Locked thread