Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Rappaport posted:

The first thing Eleanor does is confess, so this would have lead to Tahani having a major moral holier-than-thou moment and it would've gone off the rails almost instantly.

Is that supposed to make me want to see it less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rappaport posted:

The first thing Eleanor does is confess, so this would have lead to Tahani having a major moral holier-than-thou moment and it would've gone off the rails almost instantly.

This is most likely how it happened, but deep down I want to believe they had a fling in at least one of those 400-ish iterations :wink:

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Is it just me, or is Eleanor the only person where Janet always appears behind them when summoned?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

clockworx posted:

Is it just me, or is Eleanor the only person where Janet always appears behind them when summoned?

At first it was a coincidence but she did say she learns a little every time she gets reset so at some point she probably figured out that it's really funny.

Speaking of, I wonder what unforeseen consequences there will be for resetting Janet 400+ times...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Amazing. This happened in s1 also, but I love how every episode seems to address all the crazy speculation I post about prior to it. They thought of everything, and did it better than everyone. This show is great. Nothing else quite like it.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I have a feeling this is all going to be an allegory for prison reform and how rehabilitation is way more effective than punishment. In each iteration Eleanor has begun to realize the errors of her ways, and I think that by dealing with these supposedly "evil" people, Michael will realize that humans are not evil like the demons who live for making others miserable, and can change. I think by the end the bad place will focus on making everyone's hell an experience that makes them reflect upon themselves to make inner change.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I love how Chidi keeps going back to the almond milk.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Sometimes I walk in you while I'm masturbating.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Your soulmate is this golden retriever

I've now watched this episode 4 times in 12 hours, send help

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The one where Michael is fat and unshaven and drunk and ranting and then it pans over to show that Eleanor has been there the whole time is priceless.

But really, all of it is amazing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PantsBandit posted:

At first it was a coincidence but she did say she learns a little every time she gets reset so at some point she probably figured out that it's really funny.

Speaking of, I wonder what unforeseen consequences there will be for resetting Janet 400+ times...

The way she falls down when they "kill" her never stops being funny no matter how many times I see it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

raditts posted:

The way she falls down when they "kill" her never stops being funny no matter how many times I see it.

Must suck for D'arcy Carden/her stuntwoman though.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

My favorite version of the Good Place was the "Jason figures it out" iteration. Janet had a wonderful expression that said, "this is different."

Mechanical Ape posted:

EDIT: Although I wonder what Eleanor's plan was going to be before Michael proposed the alliance.

It sounded to me that she was going to propose something similar. I'm not sure Eleanor would characterize it as an alliance, but "we hold all the power" and "we always find out your plan" sounds like the opening argument to a team-up.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 29, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm wondering if we'll ever get a reveal about how long they've been stuck there, seeing as its been over 800 resets and some of them lasted over 100 days.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

muscles like this! posted:

I'm wondering if we'll ever get a reveal about how long they've been stuck there, seeing as its been over 800 resets and some of them lasted over 100 days.

That single episode had to encompass decades if not centuries.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like they sort of covered this when the woman from the medium place was like "no, you've known each other for a long time".

But yeah, did not expect this timescale at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One fun little detail on a rewatch of season 1? When Michael shows Eleanor 'her' memories of doing relief work in the pilot? The hands we see from the POV shot are a white woman, which should be a dead giveaway when the 'real' Eleanor was played by Tiya Sircar.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

drat you called it a week in advance!
I mean, it's sitcom writing. Sitcoms do a lot of things really well but the writing isn't hard to predict. It's why Brooklyn 99 fucks up every time they try to have a plot. Luckily, Good Place is better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A list of their escape plans based on screengrab:
“Physically attack Michael”
“Stab with small knife”
“Find Michael’s boss, blackmail, drug him”
“Seduce Michael”
“Throw Tahani under the bus”
“Stab with large knife”
“Make Michael think he’s the one in [The Bad Place]”
“Indecent Proposal him”
“Shawshank our way out”
“Try to stuff Michael back into his magic lamp”:
“Find Ray Donovan, but an angel”
“Catch that magic panda, use her powers”
“Eleanor [illegible] in”
“Find Doug Forcett”

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

“Find Doug Forcett”

I swear to Bob he is actually going to be in the show eventually. And it will be great.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Just started up season two. Loved the first, very happy to see that the quality of the writing has only gotten better.

"I've only ever said I love you to two guys: Stone Cold Steve Austin, and a guy in a dark club who I thought was Stone Cold Steve Austin."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Me yesterday: "It would be really hilarious if episode 4 was a montage of Elanor figuring out they're in the Bad Place over and over again."

Me today: "One early! :argh:"

I really figured they'd do another episode showing us how it fails even when there isn't a note, but I guess if you're going to go nuts with the concept there isn't a need.

I guess Elanor is the one sneaky and deceitful enough to make the leap to realizing it's actually the bad place. Well, most of the time. :v:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I can’t help thinking if the obelisk was in season 1 I totally would have believed it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

“Make Michael think he’s the one in [The Bad Place]”

I laughed so hard at this one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accretionist posted:

I laughed so hard at this one

They can hear us :tinfoil:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

That single episode had to encompass decades if not centuries.

Literally my only nitpick in an otherwise perfect episode of TV is that surely Sean would have checked up on him at some point if it took as long as it seems. Makes me feel like the "Michael is in his own Bad Place" theory could be at least partly correct.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fart City posted:

Just started up season two. Loved the first, very happy to see that the quality of the writing has only gotten better.

"I've only ever said I love you to two guys: Stone Cold Steve Austin, and a guy in a dark club who I thought was Stone Cold Steve Austin."

I want them to get Austin to do a cameo. Hell, they could have had him be Eleanor's soulmate in one cycle and she, like, faints.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Just caught up with season two. This might be the best show on TV right now. "You might even land the Jared from Subway account" good loving lord.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Literally my only nitpick in an otherwise perfect episode of TV is that surely Sean would have checked up on him at some point if it took as long as it seems. Makes me feel like the "Michael is in his own Bad Place" theory could be at least partly correct.

Well I think Sean only showed up the first time because the plan was already going off the rails (IIRC Michael said he wanted them to torture each other for a long time and didn't expect Eleanor to 'fess up about being the bad person messing up the Good Place). If Michael keeps lying and saying that everything's fine, then Sean will presumably never check in. And at this rate Michael's been lying for like a decade if not longer, so Sean probably thinks things are going fine and everybody's miserable according to plan.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would just get out ahead of this and say that I didn't spell it "Shawn" because I'm an ignorant yankee hick, but because that's how his name is spelled on IMDB. IMDB is not infallible, that's just why I used that spelling...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sean is probably just glad to be rid of Michael, I'm guessing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

precision posted:

I swear to Bob he is actually going to be in the show eventually. And it will be great.

I'm almost thinking he's the big finale cliffhanger. Or given how season 2 is paced, episode 5's cliffhanger?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
S1 rewatch details:

In s1e5, Jason impresses Chidi by describing how he framed Donkey Doug's girlfriend for stealing boogie boards and saved a 60 person dance crew from breaking up.

In s2e3, Jason impressed Michael by describing how, when Donkey Doug got mad that Jason framed his girlfriend for stealing boogie boards, Jason ignored the dance challenge and went straight to slashing their tires.

Also, I'm pretty sure the book that Eleanor didn't read in s2e3 is the one she read twice in s1e4, at the beginning of their first ethics class.

This show rules.

edit: Honestly, in general, rewatching s1 after knowing "the twist" and having seen what I have of s2 so far, is really great. Because when you first watch the show, if feels like Eleanor is maybe having really bad luck in a typical sitcom "of course that happens" kind of way. But once you know the twist, it's not luck of coincidence or irony at all, it's Michael's design. It's great. It's really funny seeing all this stuff again, and it really works with the new perspective.

edit2: s1e5 again: Eleanor calls out Chidi with "ya basic", and then goes on to say how it's about to be one of those things where they yell at each other and then start making out, and then says "whatever, fine, let's just do it".

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 30, 2017

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Escobarbarian posted:

Also, my understanding is that it was supposed to take them like thousands of years to realize what's going on, if I got my facts straight.

We're dealing with cosmic beings, a few hundred years is nothing.

Or Sean hates the project so much that he's not checking in on it to avoid having to deal with it. If he doesn't see that it's broken, and Michael says everything is fine, why get your hands dirty. Speaking as someone who used to be a manager, this is fairly accurate.

Or Michael could be in his own personal bad place.

But how does the magic Panda play into all of this?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I feel like they sort of covered this when the woman from the medium place was like "no, you've known each other for a long time".

But yeah, did not expect this timescale at all.

at least 802 attempts, with conservatively 50 days each attempt is over 100 years, assuming time works at the same approximate rate in the Medium Place.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nah a whole lot of those attempts clearly only lasted a few days or less ("Did you say I'm in the bad place?" "Wait, who are you?")

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I agree. but even if the average attempt was 2 days, we're talking about years of reliving the same few basic interactions.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

precision posted:

I guess he is real more or less.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/07/good-place-michael-schur-season-2-spoilers/4/

quote:

Does Doug Forcett — the Canadian kid who got high on mushrooms and guessed 92 percent of the Good Place — actually exist?
[Laughs] It is canon in our writers’ room, at this moment in time — subject to change — yes, Doug Forcett exists and that story is real.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Gaz-L posted:

Must suck for D'arcy Carden/her stuntwoman though.

She wore a different dress for each faceplant, so she had to do a wardrobe change each time too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice

Snak posted:

S1 rewatch details:

In s1e5, Jason impresses Chidi by describing how he framed Donkey Doug's girlfriend for stealing boogie boards and saved a 60 person dance crew from breaking up.

In s2e3, Jason impressed Michael by describing how, when Donkey Doug got mad that Jason framed his girlfriend for stealing boogie boards, Jason ignored the dance challenge and went straight to slashing their tires.

This is just wonderful. Mike Schur should just run every show on tv.

• Locked thread