Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I really liked the millennials joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Arist posted:

holy gently caress Janette

Yeah, for real. Talk about a "take off glasses and let down the hair" moment.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Eleanor and Tahani is a thing that will probably never happen because everyone wants it to happen.

There was a scene where they were introduced as each other's soul mates during one of the 800 iterations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

My theory is that Michael has been retired, and he is in his people's version of the Bad Place, locked up with mortals who constantly outwit him and subject him to the horrors of mortality.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

precision posted:

Much like being French, having ever belonged to an improv troupe is probably automatic grounds for Bad Place.

Naw, some great comedians have come put of improv. Let's just say if you have ever invited someone to your improv show, you go to the bad place.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

precision posted:

maybe the term "butthole spiders" isn't literal

maybe they're just spiders who speak to you very rudely

Maybe they are just spiders found in Jason's bud hole.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Zouks main casting is as a scummy dirtbag. He just happens to play it so well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

You know, I was wondering something: do you think Chidi's lessons with Michael have actually helped him begin the creation of an ethical framework, or is it that Michael needed to learn his own ethical framework tailored to him? It seems like he didn't care until a personal ethical issue (killing Janet) sprung up.

I think Chidi has definitely had an impact. Michael says he saves Janet because of friendship, a concept that shouldn't exist in a demon. He wouldn't have developed that on his own, and its clear that Chidi has at least taught Michael about things like empathy and consequences of actions. Michael may still look down on humans, but a Janet, which Michael probably sees as above human, but not his level, at least has enough respect in Michael's view that she is worth saving.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

With Jason the writers have captured dirtbag 20-something about as well as the Onion got dirtbag old man with Diamond Joe Biden.

All they did was go to Jacksonville, find someone in a Jags jersey and ask them how they would respond to certain situations. Doesn't seem that hard really.

edit: Also, do people in the Good Place, or the Bad Place ever get updates from Earth? Like does Jason get the Red Zone channel? Does he know that Bortles isn't going to be around next year in all likelihood? I feel like that info would be valuable to Michael for torture purposes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Nah. I think pretty much everyone figured this whole "Michael and humans trying to keep the other demons happy while becoming better people" thing was going to run out the season, at least, if not become the ongoing premise of the show.

Now, however, Shaun knows, and it's out the window. Like, unless it turns out that what we knew about this possibility was basically entirely wrong, I'm really not sure where the show can go from here, because our heroes are totally hosed.

There is still a chance he doesn't know anything yet and just dropped in to see how things were going.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

precision posted:

When I say "college football is good" I mean "it's insane and a fantastic source of schadenfreude", like for real, I lived in Knoxville when Tebow Wept and a bunch of us were watching that game and just hootin' and hollerin'

That was pretty funny

when they steam rolled everyone else and won the National Championship after hanging 56 in Knoxville.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah, Mantzoukas almost exclusively plays these type of characters:

https://youtu.be/0ay8ef5XlAo

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Did anyone catch what was on the thumbs down seal? Its looked like latin but couldn't get a good look at it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

fruit on the bottom posted:

PFT appears in-character as Cake Boss attempting contact on behalf of someone in the living World, possibly Pillboi trying to send Jason news of the Jaguars.

I like that idea. Have the messages be "one way" though, which is why no one believes in seances, they never hear back. The heartwarming moment comes when people realize that Jason has someone that cares about him so much he keeps doing seances to his lost best friend.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I hope we see another seal but with Pig Latin instead.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

This kind of reminds me of when Aaron Sorkin had the latin dialogue in Two Cathedrals on West Wing. He said he wrote in english the dialogue and gave it to a professor at USC to translate . He then took that and gave it to a professor at UCLA to translate back into english. He took all of those to yet another professor to synthesize the best translation.

My point is if it takes three separate academics to get an accurate translation, then I am ok with you fudging. We all get what they were trying to say.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I have a feeling the final reveal will be "you weren't in the bad place, you were in purgatory and congrats you tried to be good so welcome to the good place!"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

fruit on the bottom posted:

Ultimately they reach God, who reveals that they've been here before and that everything: Michael proposing a new kind of bad place, the 800+ loops and all were part of a bigger loop and God wipes all their minds and starts it over for "Attempt #3" before his/her partner walks in and asks how things are going, reminding God that they promised to stop if Attempt #2 didn't work out.

As long as he isn't called the Architect and Eleanor doesn't have to fight Hugo Weaving, its cool.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Klungar posted:

The Jacksonville Jaguars are going to go into halftime 21 points up on the Pittsburg Steelers. Jason would be so proud.

Way to jinx it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well, in the bible the punishment is to be sent to a fiery pit where there's much wailing and gnashing of teeth and the Devil's angels are bound beside you in chains of darkness. Sounds pretty torturous to me.

All references to hell are in the New Testament. Generally, the term Abrahamic refers only to the Old Testament.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Its gonna be Bill Murray. They already got him for Parks and Rec.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am rewatching season 1 and man Ted Danson is so good. Knowing the twist and watching it over is great, especially the episode where he is talking to Chidi about his indecisiveness, its clear Michael is actually torturing Chidi and loving it. I especially loved the part where he tries to use the frozen yogurt as substitutes for Elenors and Tahani and Chidi says "that actually worked!" and Michael is surprised. That surprise was more for Michael because he thought he would keep torturing him.

Also, when Shawn comes he says he is presiding over case number 000003. So Mindy was case #000001 or #000002, which means there is another person who the good and bad place had an argument over. I wonder if the real judge is that other person. A person so morally neutral that both sides saw him or her as the best, most fair way of resolving disputes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Taking everything Shawn says about the past cases as true (which I think is probably the case since they endeavored to use the truth as a smokescreen) Mindy is most likely #2 as her case happened 30 years previously and "judge" Shawn claimed he'd been in goo for 29 years. So I fully expect a payoff on case #1 at some point. I like your theory.

Yeah, also that means Mindy could give us a definitive answer on how long time has passed since their deaths during which there was 800 reboots.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I think the fact she went in calmly and never got upset demonstrated it was more just for her saying her peace and leaving than it was for her to try and earn her parents love or respect. Yes, she had a revelation, but it was played in such a way that she was completely aware the whole time that she was there not to see what was said about her, but to say something to her parents that she never got the chance to say, a lesson she only learned after death.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Accretionist posted:

I took it as sparing them guilt.

Yeah, I don't see how you can view her saying "I pushed an old lady to get some shrimp" as her avoiding losing face.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP9l4LP0WPI

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

raditts posted:

I don't think enough people saw bridesmaids for anything in it to be considered "relatively well known"

It was the 14th highest grossing movie in 2011. The Help was #13 and everything else ahead of it was part of a franchise (Harry Potter, Transformers, Marvel, Fast and Furious, Twilight, Mission Impossible etc.)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's like an all-female The Hangover. Some parts are more memorable/funny than others... I think. I may have been drinking.

Maybe it's time for a rewatch.

That's basically how it was marketed, and it is essentially that except it hits a few somber notes along the way.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve never seen the movie, and I’d never heard of the actress playing the judge before. I like the character though and I think shes doing a great job of it.

Is The Good Place the first tv show you have ever seen?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chidi chose the hat made with child labor in a sweatshop.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Tree Dude posted:

I don't know if one tweet is "hyping it up too much"

I think this thread maybe hyped it up too much.

It was one tweet by one of the actors, that may or may not have also had a reference to one of her previous roles. If it was a truly huge name like Obama or Tom Hanks, NBC would have promo'd the poo poo out of it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Not at all, the judge is completely different from her B99 character.

Yeah, I don't get that criticism at all.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Speaking of Weird Al, due to a strange wikipedia hole I fell down, I learned that Weird Al voiced Darkseid in Teen Titans Go! and I just watched a clip of it on YouTube and was left with so many questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoZ9C9_TTQM

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Are you Chidi..Anna...Kendrick?

Also, what did Michael and Janet say when he walked back in the room after being a bartender?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Did anyone notice I was gone?

Thank you!

Yeah, I thought we were going to get a glimpse of what they were up to. Oh man, I hope this means Pill Boy follows Jason and they both get into the good place together!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

When Eleanor was reading the magazine in her apartment there was a Jean Ralphio reference from Parks and Rec in it :0

Dammit, now I want an episode where everyone from the Schur-verse is shown in either the Good or Bad Place.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Next season I hope we get an episode on what Jason and Tahani have been up to. Especially Jason.

I am mostly curious about Jason's survival. Tehani, Eleanor, and Chidi can all be saved by a "guardian angel" knocking them out of the way at the last moment. But Jason died locked in a safe (doing what he loved, whippets), a death that can't really be avoided by a last second thing. Its going to be hard to get him to a place where he thinks "man, I could have died back there".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I want to see what happens if Michael has to step in to other people's lives/simulations to nudge them on the right path. For Eleanor he just had to be a bartender, but what about everyone else? Basically what I'm getting at is, is Michael going to appear to name-dropping Tahani as Ted Danson?

Now this would be a pants shittingly good moment.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Speaking of Bortles, despite common wisdom, the Jags have already named Blake Bortles as the starter for next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Is it even possible to be a professor in Australia and not speak English? Chidi knows English. Its not a stretch to imagine that in any way.

• Locked thread