Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Supercar Gautier posted:

Chidi, as an example, went to the Bad Place because his neuroses hurt other people. He is essentially in hell for having a mental illness.

What that means is: the system that sorts people into the Good/Bad places is cruel and hosed up. The Bad Place and the real Good Place (whatever it's actually like) are both completely on board with this cruel and hosed up system. Does the system use points? Well, that fits in with how cruel and hosed up it is, so sure! This is how the afterlife works and whatever divine authourity governs it is cool with all of it.

If the points turned out to be a lie, then that just means the system uses a different cruel and hosed up sorting method than points, which would not be an interesting twist because it would not change or recontextualize anything.

An eternal sentence based on a finite observation period is hosed up no matter how you slice it.

Supercar Gautier posted:

" [...] Michael is a popcorn mascot she saw on the grocery store shelf."

Yeah I kind of want this to be the final dramatic zoom-in of the series now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Boywhiz88 posted:

Mantzoukas definitely is one-note w his energy and stuff, but it’s really dependent on the writing if he’s good or poorly used. But... his episode of “You Made It Weird” was eye-opening. He’s deadly allergic to eggs, and he basically has to be hyper aware of anything he eats, and be ready to get to a hospital at a moment’s notice. He has a story about going to a holiday party, and is basically starving because there’s nothing he can eat, until he spots some grapes w powdered sugar. He eats one or two, and his throat closes up and he has to GTFO. The grapes were rolled in egg whites.

So, that kind of thing informs his view and approach on life. I do wish he could get a role where he’s the straight man, so we could see if he’s any good.

My favorite part was when he talked about telling his therapist of however many years, "Hey, just wondering, I have this tremendous allergy that's required me to be constantly hypervigilant and cognizant of the possibility of my own death ever since I was a kid, do you think that's relevant to our sessions?" And the therapist's response is the professionally-appropriate equivalent of "You motherfucker."

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Deficient brain: Latin is Bad Place because Latin is the worst

Large brain: Fake Latin is Bad Place because lazy and incorrect translations are evil

Energized brain: Fake Latin is Bad Place because the only people it annoys are those with the greatest need for any semblance of joy in their cold, beige lives

Transcendent brain: SEMPER UBI SUB UBI

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Jason has to be a Good Place plant, he's so friendly and unflappable and always has correct ideas

e: "Jianyu" earned a spot in "The Good Place" having briefly achieved transcendence, while Jason was living in a state of wu wei grace for his entire life

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 19, 2018

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mulva posted:

His go to solution to most problems was firebombing things, and he died trying to rob people people. He was an affable bad dude.

His firebomb stopped the advance of a crowd of demons who probably cram fire into various holes for breakfast; he's either working for the Good Place, working for the Bad Place, or Gandalf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm vexed, Uzo, vexed!

• Locked thread