Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Accretionist posted:

But you're the driver. This seems like a cop-out. It seems like the role of 'driver' entails responsibility. If you're driving a car and a bunch of kids run into the road, can you just take your hands off the wheel and cover your eyes? Why is it different with a trolley?

Uh, being the driver of a trolley isn't anything like being the driver of a car, where you can just drive anywhere you want. Trolleys run on a track, the driver's only option is to do nothing or to hit the button that puts the trolley on the other track. Did you even watch the episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Snak posted:

It virtually has to. I mean, think about. There are like 30 demons devoted to torturing just 4 humans. Okay, so maybe that's the ratio of demons to humans. But if 300 years have passed on earth, then billions more people have died and gone to the bad place while 30 demons have been trying to torture the same 4 people the entire time. No way.

I am going to assume that time on earth is passing at a rate of 1 year per season, so at the end of season 2, the main characters will have been dead for 2 years on earth, even though they've been in the afterlife for centuries.

Or it's all made with God-caliber super magic and there's literally an endless supply of demons and time doesn't pass at all unless you want it to.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Now that I know what a fish taco is, I can make the official ruling of "ew gross"

Gross? That's barely a taco, it's just a nice piece of fish served on a bed of greens that happens to be on top of a tortilla.

I mean I guess if fish isn't your thing, sure, but that's the least objectionable picture of a fish taco I can imagine.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Like, a sub/hoagie is definitely a sandwich, right? A hotdog bun is pretty much the same thing as a hoagie bun, only smaller, and then you put the same kinda stuff inside -- meat, veggies, condiments. The only difference is that you eat a hotdog with the slit in the bun facing up instead of to the side. If a hotdog isn't a sandwich, I don't think you can call a sub a sandwich either.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, I was coming here to comment on the whole "it's hard to lose an accent" thing.

Because... well, it's pretty much impossible to lose an accent, unless you start super-young. I work with people from all over the world, and one of my coworkers for two years was a fellow named Barry from Scotland. But, as a child (who was already speaking), he moved to Ireland, and so that's his accent now, even though his older siblings all sound like Willie from the Simpsons. I also worked directly for years with immigrants from Belarus, the Ukraine, and other former SSR's, and when they learned English, they simply ("simply") learned it without an accent somehow. I don't know how, but only occasionally would they say a word that would betray their native tongue. And we also had a Spanish-speaking contingent, most of whom had been born in a Spanish-speaking country, but had moved to the US at a young age and learned the language in preschool or Kindergarten.

So... while it is hard to impossible to lose an accent, it's certainly possible to learn another language without ever developing the accent in the first place. And, this is pretty common for multi-linguists. So Chidi doesn't have an accent because he doesn't have to. And also, Eleanor doesn't know him, so she has no reason to expect him to have the accent. Since it's all a simulation anyway, there's no reason to give him an accent.

This kinda blew me away when I was in the Netherlands, where they all speak English anyway, but then I went into some shop and the guy behind the counter sounded so American that I asked him if he was from the States too. Nope, born in Groningen, but he spent 4-5 years in Nebraska when he was a kid and so he just learned to speak English with a perfect midwesterner accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't get it.

• Locked thread