Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I mainlined the first season over the summer, loved it, but didn't realize it had started up again and had two episodes to come back to. The extent that this show races through plot lines that could fill an entire series of another show is incredible, but even more so that it's able to maintain such a level of quality. It's a sitcom plotted like a good prestige drama.

And it's loving hilarious. I'm a sucker for jokes with out of context clips of stories we never get to see (30 Rock had some great cutaway gags with that premise), so the entire montage from the last episode was cracking me up. The entire cast is great, and Kristen Bell in particular is a goddamn treasure. That Steve Austin line had some standout delivery.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Get your mind out of the gutter!

I was talking about my testicles.

Ernie. posted:

Why can the team even go to the medium place? If they have no such ability to go to the good place, why even have the option of escape?
The train itself seems to be the standard way of moving between places in the afterlife, but I think the only reason the team can use it is because they have a good Janet to operate it for them.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

"All humans are aware of death. So we're all a little bit sad all the time. That's just the deal."

This show... :gbsmith:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"Doctor Chidi, my daddy needed a heart transplant. Did you save his life? He was working then a really bad man ran him over with a trolley."
That was such a great joke. And a hilarious episode in general.

Also nice to see the trolley problem stated correctly after Kimmy Schmidt got it wrong. :v:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Basically (as I recall) they stated it as "you have to steer a trolley to kill one person or five", missing the part - and the whole point of the dilemma - that the five are killed through inaction.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 21, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Snak posted:

"There's a cat driving a trolley. The windows of the trolley are blacked out so no one can see in, but the cat can see out using a video screen. There's a vial of poison in the trolley that breaks at a random time. Since we can't see into the trolley, the cat is both alive and dead right up until it pulls a lever to divert the path of the trolley onto a track with only one person on it. If it does not pull the lever, the 5 people on the track ahead will die. 5 people die, either the cat was dead, or it's a dick. It's impossible to tell. So the 5 people are in a quantum state of having been killed through inaction and in a freak accident until we open the trolley and observe whether the cat was dead at the time."
But does the cat still have enough points to go to the Good Place?

(Speaking of which, was this episode the first confirmation we had that the points system actually works roughly the way it was described in S1?)

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

In the conversation about Michael's essay on Les Miserables, Michael talked about the points you lose for stealing bread/being French.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Your Taint posted:

Weird Al playing it completely straight would have owned.
You mean Normal Al?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

We've seen him speaking English to his Australian friend with the boots before, and it was with his usual accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

thexerox123 posted:

Such linear thinking.

To them, it could be more akin to putting 4 inconsequential pebbles back into a river.

If you're outside of time, "later" is just as easy to access as "earlier".
Imagine four humans at the edge of the Bad Place...

• Locked thread