Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

china bot posted:

you can really see the :lost: influence in the first episode this season, but I get the feeling that Schur has a very clear idea of where everything's headed. this show rules

Didn't he consult Lindelof about where Lost went wrong before laying out this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm wondering if the persistent character development that seems to have taken with the characters (Chidi being more able to speak up and make choices, even if he still gets nauseous, Eleanor actually largely trying to avoid being an ash-hole, Janet and Jason's mutual attraction) even between resets is what ruins "The Good Place 3.0". Like, maybe Michael tells Janet to give them all their favourite books, and instead of Kylie Jenner's Instagram, Eleanor gets her Scanlon book on the social contract.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm almost wondering if Michael's real innovation is moving away from punishment to rehabilitation. All 4 of his charges are 'medium' people, but for different reasons. Tahani did good things for bad reasons, Chidi was so concerned with having the right reason to do things that he was paralysed, Eleanor was basically apathetic and selfish and Jason is ignorant but in an odd way innocent. What if his experiment is taking 4 people who are borderline between the Good Place and the Bad Place, and putting them together to see if they make each other worse or better? It could also explain how he was able to get Janet, he didn't 'steal' her, he borrowed her and lied about it to his Bad Place bosses.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mulva posted:

The true irony that he's the only real believer in evil, and the rest are just petty bureaucrat assholes punching a clock. He really wants to get transcendent in their suffering, really break down their humanity and whats makes him who they are, and the rest just want to bite folks and put things up butts.

Maybe Jason should give them his resume. (also you know he pronounces it without the accent)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 24, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Michael's basically a really lovely DM freaking out when his players won't stick to his story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Snak posted:

Yeah, and I think that trying to understand humans, in order to torture them, is eventually going to turn him into a better person. It's hard for me to see Michael as a villain for the entire rest of the show.

But it's so fun watching Danson be evil!

Oh, silly guess: Michael is actually Sam Malone, making his way to the majors in the Bad Place.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
By that logic, also, Jason's a fundamentally worse person than Eleanor. Eleanor was an inconsiderate, selfish jerk. Jason literally blew up a boat, framed someone for a crime they didn't commit just because he was jealous, and was going to rob a pizza place.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

raditts posted:

The way she falls down when they "kill" her never stops being funny no matter how many times I see it.

Must suck for D'arcy Carden/her stuntwoman though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One fun little detail on a rewatch of season 1? When Michael shows Eleanor 'her' memories of doing relief work in the pilot? The hands we see from the POV shot are a white woman, which should be a dead giveaway when the 'real' Eleanor was played by Tiya Sircar.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fart City posted:

Just started up season two. Loved the first, very happy to see that the quality of the writing has only gotten better.

"I've only ever said I love you to two guys: Stone Cold Steve Austin, and a guy in a dark club who I thought was Stone Cold Steve Austin."

I want them to get Austin to do a cameo. Hell, they could have had him be Eleanor's soulmate in one cycle and she, like, faints.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

precision posted:

I swear to Bob he is actually going to be in the show eventually. And it will be great.

I'm almost thinking he's the big finale cliffhanger. Or given how season 2 is paced, episode 5's cliffhanger?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Given that Good Janet is supremely helpful, and Bad Janet is supremely unhelpful (and rather crude), I imagine Medium Janet is only vaguely helpful. Like... she'll do what you ask, but will only put in the minimum amount of effort. And she doesn't come when called, you have to trudge over to where ever she's standing. And she roams around, so you can't just park her in your livingroom. You have to search her out.
Like many useful, but mildly irritating voice-activated items, she only responds when you use her name about one in every 5 times.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

raditts posted:

I saw this in Old Town Alexandria, VA yesterday and I think there's a convincing argument that it is a Good Place neighborhood

It combines Michael's love of food puns with Eleanor's love of Stone Cold Steve Austin!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Accretionist posted:

We need an answer to the Doug Forcett question.

Is Doug Forcett real???

Edit: Oh poo poo, interview:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/07/good-place-michael-schur-season-2-spoilers/4/

A lot of people glommed on to the 'Make Michael think HE's in The Bad Place' plan, but I genuinely think the 'Find Doug' one is the more important one, plot-wise.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Flatscan posted:

For me it was worth it for Jason with the sparkler.

I liked how casual Eleanor was about Janet for once. Just "Yo, Janet, give Jason something shiny so the adults can talk"

And D'Arcy Carden rubbing her tummy and patting her head to show how advanced she was was great. I'm also always a big fan of self-absorbed characters legitimately trying to be nice/good and still their ego bleeds in, so a lot of Jameela Jamil's lines work for me. Especially "We should all stay and work together to build a better Tahani!"

I also like how Eleanor's turn was basically around returning Chidi's kindness. And Janet's line in the group huddle was pretty fascinating in showing how she's creatively interpreting her 'programming' now, much like how she reworded Jason's question in the premiere to let her take him to the other 3.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, she pretty clearly says "son of a bench". Your brain may have corrected it to what you know she's supposed to be saying.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
HA! Apparently Tahani's sister's name means 'perfect' in Arabic

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ernie. posted:

Oh :( I messed up bad. Yeah kamilah means perfect. My bad. :(

I was about to say, you had me doubting so I was researching and every source for names I could find said that it meant perfect. The joke obviously being that Tahani's parents favoured her little sister from or even before birth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I'm 50/50 on it being her or Mindy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eleanor tearing up about the toothbrush rack was great, partly for how it pays off her lovely parents and broken home, partly because it blurs the line between character and actor, because I 100% believe Kristen Bell would also cry about the symbolic togetherness of a toothbrush holder, just from a much more wholesome appreciation for it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

Hadn’t she been on TV for years at that point though?

Yes, but basically as an MTV VJ.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's on fox. It will run 10 seasons just to spite you. That's also how they are hogging Adriane Palliki.

I want you to be wrong about Palicki, but The Orville will probably end up running longer than Bonanza

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I'm sure part of it is as simple as she said, she's being used in ways like therapist that she's not designed for. Although certainly developing emotions like jealousy also plays a larger factor.

No, she was fine as long as she was just diagnosing them separately, it only became an issue once she had to reinforce their relationship positively. It's basically her own trolley problem, because lying seems to cause dangerous instability to the neighbourhood, thus making all four humans unhappy... but telling the truth about how she feels will also make Tahani unhappy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As far as I'm aware, it's only behind This Is Us and Will & Grace in the demo for NBC. It's probably fine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tiggum posted:

The joke about French people automatically going to the bad place was fine, I guess. The followup joke about stealing baguettes being worse than stealing other kinds of bread because it's more French was hilarious.

Bear in mind that Chidi's first language is French as well, so presumably he's hearing Michael say all of that IN French.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Probably didn't even do the obvious thing and make Jason put the needles into Chidi by claiming Jianyu was some kind of master at acupuncture. Frickin' millennials...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also missed opportunity with "The reason is.... FRIENDS!" to have Michael reference his love (or maybe hatewatch) of Friends.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

That's thirty good place points, easy.

40 if she sends it to Idina.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Noonsaliwah posted:

Frozen is a Disney movie with two princess protagonists, Elsa (Idina Menzel) and Anna (Kristen Bell).
Kristen’s daughter loves Elsa so much more that she insisted that despite being two people, they should BOTH dress as Elsa.

e;fb

Elsa is a queen. :colbert: Bell's whole first song is about the run up to her coronation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

When he asked they had been there for decades, at least.

By 'Team Cockroach', they've been there for centuries, minimum. Bortles is long dead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They really should try and get him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Good Place and Great News are back in January, but Superstore and Will & Grace come back in early December. Whatevs, NBC

Isn't that at least partly because those shows have larger episode orders than Good Place? And, also, y'know... it's Will & Grace, and your mom will watch it even if it's timeslot is hosed because of football?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Have we seen Jason dance on the show? I feel like it's one of those gags that's being built up with his mentions of his dance crew, and he'll finally have to do it and the other 4 are cringing, assuming it's as bad as his music, but then he does poo poo like that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

swickles posted:

Its gonna be Bill Murray. They already got him for Parks and Rec.

But they'll use that Marvel de-aging tech to make it Caddyshack Bill Murray.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
#1 has to be Doug Forcett, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

As a bonus, he can even punch up the theme song.

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/956666965707210752

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

All of those things are moral choices too, because they initially fail despite the immortal souls of their friends being on the line. Each one speaks to an inability to control aspects of themselves that are selfish (pretty obvious for Tahani and Jason, but also for Chidi who'd rather be perfectly correct than satisfactorily sort-of-right).

Actually, Chidi's test is kind of tainted for that very reason. If you placed the current Chidi in a room with two hats and told him to choose one with only, say, the risk of wearing the same thing as Jason on the line? He'd probably be able to do it fine when he wouldn't have on Earth. But he was asked to do so AND told that his friends getting into the Good Place was dependent on passing the test. Most people would agonise over that situation at least for a while, and given Chidi's personality, it's laudible he managed in less than an hour and a half.

I mean, hell, if you're going down that road, ELEANOR failed, because her own self-centredness made her lie rather than lose face in front of her friends for being the only one to pass.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

... Have you tried looking at and listening to the TV when you watch it? I think that might improve your ability to comprehend and enjoy televised entertainment.

It's almost like I was deliberately being obtuse to illustrate how absurd it is to judge the tests as fair to Jason, Chidi and Tahani.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Everyone does, except for like 2 people who are arguing that, no, it's totally fair to send Tahani to hell because her parents messed her up psychologically, and Chidi because his anxiety has only somewhat improved and not magically vanished (again, when he's told that loving up sends not just him, but his THREE closest friends to eternal torment... I'd take at least a half hour picking a hat in that context)

If you want a more straight reading, even Eleanor's test isn't really fair, because she's told she doesn't need to take one. She's directly lied to. Yes, her distrusting nature means she figures out that that IS the test, but it's the same trick Chidi gets. Jen doesn't SAY picking the wrong hat damns them all, but she knows he'll infer that.

Like, give anyone in this thread two cupcakes on a plate. Most people will grab one at random.
Give them two cupcakes and say that if you mess this up, you and your closest friends will be killed. I'm sooo sure everyone would be able to pick one in 2 seconds flat. :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm a fairly indecisive person myself, (not to Chidi's degree, obviously), so maybe that's why claiming that test is fair (it's obviously very funny, and I'm fairly sure the SHOW wants us to know it's bullshit to judge him as damned based on it) bugs me so much. That situation would absolutely give me a stomachache.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I guarantee Janet's been interfering in Jason's life WAY more than Michael did with Eleanor.

Also, how cool is it that Michael now really is being the kind guardian angel he was playing in the beginning? (Plus, yeah, the Cheers thing made me smile a lot)

• Locked thread