Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gently caress yeah I'm ready let's go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lol fuckin amazing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don't worry, biting will be the solution at some point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

It's honestly amazing just how wrong Tahani in those clothes felt.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This is falling apart so fast holy poo poo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OH MY GOD

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OKay

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Well I'll admit... this isn't how even my most extreme expectations thought this would go

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clown shoes posted:

I'm going to reiterate my theory from the last thread that probably won't be proven/disproven for many seasons but here goes: Michael is the Devil. No one knows he's the Devil. No one is in on it. This premiere only cemented this idea in my mind. He's literally torturing everyone, from the main characters, to the "actors" who are supposed to be in on it, to the judge who just wants this little experiment to be over. Even the name Michael means "who is like God?"

Michael is the Devil.

I... I like this...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's his new show called again? I totally forgot but it looked great.

Ghosted

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I think Michael's whole scheme is doomed to failure simply because in its very nature it gives the humans too much freedom. No matter what scenario you give them, if you're not literally strapping them down and torturing them, humans are going to at least try to seek out ways to not be miserable. They're going to find what happiness they can. Either they figure it out and play along in secret or they don't and they blow the whole cover because they're unhappy and don't want to be. Michael keeps trying to figure out ways to make them behave in a way that keeps them miserable and no matter what he devises they're never going to do that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

My only issue is why was he miserable as a desk jockey for so long?

Gotta build up the persona for that long con...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

We do know escape IS possible if they have Janet on their side. Dunno what else is out there besides the Medium Place but if they all go together instead of having hostages left behind that could be a start.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eleanor was an rear end in a top hat to people but it's also pretty understandable how she turned out that way considering how her parents treated her.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm not saying it's an excuse, but I don't think that somehow Eleanor fundamentally more deserves the bad place than the other 3.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

It's hard to say. The only things we can be sure are true are things Janet and Mindy St. Clair told us (plus Mindy's info video). It's not a lot to go on regarding the specifics of the point system. Janet never implies it's not true, but she also was certainly tricked to some extent.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Did they ever say how Tahani died?

No not yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I agree with that. I still think it's possible that Michael can't understand the actual method for determining which place people go to, because he doesn't comprehend non-utilitarian ethics, and because he doesn't understand selflessness.

Edit: I don't know how the medium place could possibly have been real, since it was framed as being a compromise between the fake good place and the fake bad place.

The medium place was absolutely real. Eleanor, Janet, and Jason actually escaped from Michael's ability to monitor them. None of that was an act and it's the best source we have for the truth of how this world works.

Like if you're going to assume that the one time they managed to escape the system, that was never referenced again or stated to be part of the trick, was actually a trick, then we've got nothing to work on whatsoever and there's no point speculating about anything.

In short:

Supercar Gautier posted:

"The Good Place is real and follows these principles, but the protagonists aren't actually there" is firmer storytelling ground than "Who knows what's true, welcome to Calvinball".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Oh, I guess you're right. I was trying to remember the videotape they showed at the medium place, and I must have remembered it wrong.

The videotape showed a woman we haven't seen elsewhere as the representative of the Good Place, and Trevor as the representative of the Bad Place. Naturally they brought Trevor in earlier in the season as part of the trick, but he totally was just behaving normally instead of pretending not to be a demon like all the others were. So all indications are that the video was genuine and Trevor was just the demon selected to take part in it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Right, but if you assign points to all actions, and then use the sum of those actions to determine the goodness or badness of a person, is that not utilitarianism? Any system that only looks at net value has got to be related to utilitarianism, right?

Is there such a thing as micro and macro applications of utilitarianism?

Anyway, my point was that the point system show to use basically doesn't reward redemption. Under this point system, if you have already got enough negative points that you can't get back in the black before you die, there is no downside to just continuing to be ecil. Which is why I think that Michael doesn't have a full understanding of the system, because almost every religion believes in rewarding redemption.

Edit: actually, that's not what the system in the good place is: it's that you aren't rewarded for doing good deeds for bad reasons. It doesn't actually assert that doing a good deed for a bad reason means it's not good. It just says that you aren't praised for it. Which makes sense. Is it really the utilitarian opinion that people deserve to be praised for good deeds?

Isn't part of the idea of utilitarianism that motives are strictly inscrutable and cant be reliably determined, so they are irrelevant? Wouldn't utilitarianism looks different if you could magically sense other people's motives, because then motives themselves would be actions?

In real life, someone does a good deed. End of story.

In magical land, someone does a good deed and itnis broadcast to someone else that they did it for selfish reasons. So it's actually like 2 deeds, one good and one bad.

I dunno. I'm just spitballing here. Please don't get mad at me for butchering ethical philosophy.

Sure thing, Chidi

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

You guys I'm in awe

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Welcome to the main cast, Vicki

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Me yesterday: Man I bet if they can ever get back to Mindy, her remembering will help them break this whole thing wide open

Me today: ..... welp

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Best friends!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Didn't Michael tell him directly he's in the Bad Place? Or was he still too dense to understand (this time)?

He was literally do dumb to remember and/or comprehend what Michael meant.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I can't wait for The Vicki Show Starring Vicki

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

Where is your math on this. They had like ~109 attempts which is like 15 years at 50 days per.

They had over 800 attempts

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

My friend who doesn't watch this show just told me they wanted to eat almonds but had just read an article about how almond milk is bad for the environment

I hope you warned them to take it seriously.

That film on their tongue just isn't worth it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, but I'm surprised that also wants part of the simulation. Her turning out to be real and Michael's lack of jurisdiction there wasn't clarified until this episode. In which case... how did she get there? If this "Good Place" was created for the simulation then how is she there? Does the train go to heaven, hell and that place too?

I mean yes? I'm not sure how this is confusing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

The most surprising thing about the medium place being real is that the one person who qualified for being in it seems like prime bad place material. She's way less ambiguous of a case than Chidi.

Mindy did something that put an absolutely massive amount of good into the world. That's the whole reason her case was so contentious.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Why doesn't Mindy just ask Janet for cocaine? Did they already establish that she doesn't work the same in the Medium Place?

They did establish that last season.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yay Janet!!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jameela is Tahani's actress's name. Kamilah is her sister.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

So does that mean that the actress Jameela Alia Jamil is named something like "beautiful lady the beautiful" because that also rules

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

It kinda irks me when Michael talks about his "boss" and you think he means God but it's apparently Sean who is more of a third party than a boss.

Sean is his boss. He's the guy in charge of the bad place architects who has approval over Michael's project. What other definition of boss do you need.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

Why would God be his boss regardless, when Michael is working for what would classically be thought of as hell? The Devil would be his boss in that case, not God. It's not like the Devil works for God, overseeing a division of creation for him or something. Hell is Satan's creation, after his rebellion. Not something he takes care of for God.

Well now let's not make assumptions. Christianity only got a little bit right.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

The only thing that I'm confused by in this show so far is the conversation Michael and Sean had in Ellanors bedroom in the S1 finale, and Sean said something like "your boss will be mad." Sean is Michael's boss ,right? And with as dry as Sean is I don't think it was a joke.

They were talking that way because they couldn't risk being overheard by the humans. Sean was pointedly telling him that if he didn't fix this up perfectly he was in big trouble.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Eleanor and Tahani is a thing that will probably never happen because everyone wants it to happen.

Eternity is a long time

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hell yes, the trolley problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

He came to the same conclusion as that one tiny child lmao

• Locked thread