Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Anne Whateley posted:

The Bible definitely mentions torture hell plenty. Unless you think a lake of eternal fire is good times, I guess. https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/biblical-evidence-hell/

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well, in the bible the punishment is to be sent to a fiery pit where there's much wailing and gnashing of teeth and the Devil's angels are bound beside you in chains of darkness. Sounds pretty torturous to me.

both of you completely misunderstand the history and use of the Bible by Christians. some christians believe in things like a physical lake of fire, but many, on the order of hundreds of millions, do not. some Christians even believe everyone goes to the same place

e: I'm really curious what an Orthodox Christian would say about the show. i don't think they have a "different places" doctrine at all

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

lol I know kind of a lot about Christianity. Of course many Christians are taking a more moderate path now; I didn't say they weren't. I was responding to this line of conversation

because it's straight-up incorrect; the Bible definitely does mention fire torture hell and not just "won't you be sad without me?" hell.

you have implied twice that "the bible" is some kind of logic manual from which doctrine is derived. i didn't say this explicitly in my first post, but to add to what I said before: it is a minority of Christians who derive doctrine this way. so no, you clearly do not know much about Christianity if you are ignorant of this very basic point

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

other poster: the Bible doesn't mention torture hell
me: here's where the Bible mentions fiery torture hell [source]
you: THE BIBLE IS NOT A LOGIC MANUAL IDIOT

got that, thanks

i have exclusively posted on the issue of what Christians actually believe. your personal view of how the Bible should be interpreted has no bearing on what different groups of Christians believe

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

Maybe the Good Place makes the Bad Place think that's the rules, or at least obscures the public ratio so that the Bad Place people can feel "better" about torturing people. I can buy that Chidi just missed the Good Place cutoff.

I'd expect there's something that we don't know about the world, or at least a layer that even Michael doesn't know.

the show has already done this IMO with the reveal of the medium place, so i wouldn't rule out that we will learn more bits about the afterlife system

Anne Whateley posted:

I didn't say anything about how the Bible should be interpreted or anything about my personal beliefs

claiming that a passage in a biblical text says X is interpretation. you said a certain passage must be interpreted a certain way, so not only are you interpreting that passage, you are saying how that passage must be interpreted. so your claim here is incorrect

i'm also going to stop responding to your garbage. this is because you have responded to being told three times that you are wrong, by repeating the same incorrect and frankly stupid assertions about the issues in question. everything you have posted would be laughed out of a conversation with any mainstream religious scholar who studies Christianity, and nothing you have said has contributed anything meaningful to the discussion of how this show approaches the metaphysics of the afterlife. your gimmick sucks, go home

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 19, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the last two episodes have really set the show on a roller coaster ride, in terms of the overall plot. i loved the jokes centering on bad-place inhabitants this week :)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Two Inch Bee posted:

I think everyone besides Eleanor could make a decent case that they don't belong in the bad place. For Chidi it's "good intentions," for Tahani it's "good deeds," and for Jason it's "genuinely not smart enough to know the difference between right and wrong."

yeah it's kinda killer that Eleanor's reason for being there is "you aren't stupid...you know you weren't really that great overall". most people don't have the out of being rich like Tahani, or super-brain like Chidi, or lovable dumbass like Jason, and i feel like this is pretty core to the show's moral center

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i woke up this morning and just started giggling about Jake Jortles

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

He can only fail up.

wow :prepop:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the capriciousness of the judge's trials was a bit of a :thunk: moment for me. like c'mon this can't be legit tests to get into the good place

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

:tinfoil: : She mentioned that she couldn't take their case because there was no paperwork or advocate. Because she's all knowing, she knew exactly when Janet and Michael would show up, so she came up with the tests basically just to amuse herself before the real trial. That's why the episode was named after the burrito, because they assumed it was the real thing before the real thing revealed itself.

idk if the judge is all-knowing in that sense. if she was she would have known when the 4 of them were going to show up and she wouldn't have had to read their life-files

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i was kind of a bit let down with this episode after the insanity from last week. it had a couple good gags but it felt like a "move the chesspieces" filler episode to me. maybe it is more brilliant than that under closer scrutiny (e.g. the tests being modeled after famous philosophy problems, such as has been pointed out with Chidi), but on my first watching it fell a bit flat

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Allowing oneself to use a disability as an excuse doesn't make one a good person.

I think that people may be projecting a little.

my job irl is working with people who have disabilities (including severe/persistent mental illness). i typed out 2 paragraphs to try and explain how disability works, but then i deleted them. i deleted then because i remembered that everyone i have ever talked to who has said people with disabilities "use it as an excuse" has turned out to be either (a) a raging bigot in five additional categories, or (b) someone who admits to harassing strangers in public, because they saw someone who "didn't look disabled" who had parked in an accessible parking spot or who had a service animal with them

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 29, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i haven't done week-to-week watching of a half hour show in a long time. i think it makes me more impatient

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I knew who she was and after the first scene it was clear she was the perfect choice.

If you were disappointed because she wasn't famous enough rather than judging based on how well she captured her character, then in the wise words of Eleanor Shellstrop: "Ya basic!"

i like Maya Rudolph and i thought she was good in the show. for me it was just confusion after i read the interview with Jameela where she made the "poo poo yourself" comment. i assumed this meant it would be someone more "unexpected" like when goons were speculating wacky stuff like Steve Austin. on the other hand Rudolph is one of the biggest guest stars they've had so far. and who knows maybe Jameela was referencing Bridesmaids, which I thought was great, but I don't remember every gag from every movie I've ever seen :shobon:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

hey, have a thinkpiece from the newspaper that profiles nazis

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/31/arts/the-good-place-kristen-bell-ted-danson.html

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

My favorite visual gag is when it cuts to michael looking at eleanor's weird textograph thing and theres just a HUGE pile of em coming out of chidi's machine.

this is honestly super clever and funny. michael just pushes them aside like "ugh c'mon chidi"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

For me it has to be a sim because Chidi is supposed to speak French and I demand consistancy in my comedy shows.

a nerdy professor, speaking more than 1 language??? but even if he didn't they are still in the afterlife so the auto translation could still be working

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

thanks alot assbag posted:

I hope this happens.

I also hope that when they do finally get to the Good Place, everyone there is a total hedonist nightmare and they've all slowly become bad, awful people over time. The system works both ways! Bad people can become good, but that also means good people can become bad!

then stan and kyle come out "hmm, perhaps the truth is somewhere, uh, not sure what i'm trying to say here, help me out Chidi..."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...wait, are some of the writers for the show goons? Because I just realized the only other time I've heard of anyone eating fried savory food with chocolate sauce, other than the mystery flavor in Eleanor's shrimp machine, was that loving Golden Corral story someone posted a long time ago where people were dipping fried chicken in the chocolate fountain.

And I mean, that's the kind of thing that sticks in your mind. :gonk:

One of the show's writers is Megan Amram, a funny shitposter on Twitter. I don't know if she ever read SA, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i was curious what kind of name "d'arcy" was and oh. oh no..

quote:

Do you get strange pronunciations of your name because of the apostrophe?
I do. I even did yesterday, and I don’t usually correct people, but I boldly corrected someone and I felt like a jerk. She just went “Are you Dee-Arcy?” and I said, “It’s Darcy,” and then right away I was like, “Oh, poo poo. I’m a jerk.” Just let her have this.

It’s your name!
Oh right. That’s right. But can I tell you one thing about this name, Alex?

Yes, please.
I added the apostrophe.

[Gasp!]
[Gasp!]

Twist!
Yes, big twist. You are shook. So when I was in junior high I was really obsessed with the band Smashing Pumpkins and

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i think it's pretty funny that a throwaway gag about language working differently in the afterlife painted them into a corner two years later. it's a perfect coincidence for a show that repeatedly sets up complex logic about how the world works, and then smashes it all to bits

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

maybe Jason gets sent back to the Earth life of that monk :pwn:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the idea is really funny to me though. so i hope it's what happens

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

swickles posted:

The Good Place writers room must be super fun. Like literally any joke you can think can be worked in due to the nature of the show, especially when a lot of what you have to think about is literally "whats just the worst?"

i bet megan amram just sits in the corner typing on a cell phone, and there's a projector showing a feed of what she's writing

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

lol that rules

also she might win an emmy for making her web video series "an emmy for megan" which is probably the gooniest way to win an emmy

http://anemmyformegan.com/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

swickles posted:

focused on epistemology and philosphy of natural science, and now a show about ethics is directly colliding into that field. I doubt anyone actually wants to read it, but I have been meaning to go through some old backup hard drives and clean them up. I will post a link to the paper if there is interest.

just post

my college made everybody take religion and philosophy classes and boy i did not ever expect a broadcast sitcom to come along where half the jokes seem to come from an alternate universe where byob is populated by philosophers and theologians

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

she says there will be a season 2 lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

tarlibone posted:

This is actually probably the event that took blackface from a taboo thing that shouldn't be done because duh to the kind of thing that everyone knows not to ever do for any reason. It's not that donning blackface and dropping n-bombs aimed at an African American was OK before this, it's just that nobody bothered to do it because OF COURSE YOU DON'T DO THIS. But a really crazy combination of events, times, and places led Danson to think, "Hey, in this context, it'll be OK!"

This whole thing happened because of the movie Made in America.

i really doubt this because every year up to and including this one some super white college fraternity gets in trouble for a blackface party

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

PURESTRAIN DOOR KEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

will the podcast be doing the "live" weekly recap format for season 3?

• Locked thread