Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Eleanor was an rear end in a top hat to people but it's also pretty understandable how she turned out that way considering how her parents treated her.

But on the other hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t6JfL47EW0&t=18s

Also, you should re-watch season 1. Eleanor realized herself that she couldn't keep running with that excuse towards the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

While Eleanor and Jason both did horrible and/or selfish things to strangers at least they were doing it to strangers. To put things in perspective, Tahani devoted her entire life to upstaging her sister. Chidi is even worse because he hurt everyone who cared and loved for him and to no ones benefit.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Your Taint posted:

To me it seems like Chidi had some serious anxiety issues going on which shouldn't condemn you to the Bad Place imo.

God is a monster

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

I would love to see this be the direction the show is going, especially with Preacher on the air.

You think dogs are monsters? :raise:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So It Goes posted:

But it's called the good place not the exceptionally great place. A truly just god would have at least 5 tiers of places to have better sorting of this stuff.

Is it really called 'The Good Place' though? Back in S01E13 that was just the title Michael gave to his proposal. We don't even necessarily know that there is such a thing as a good place, we just know that there are radically different variants of Janet and that Michael & CO aren't shaping them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think we can take for granted that anything Michael says after the jig is up is 100% true since he knows he's just going to wipe their minds anyway.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god, how do they keep doing this

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I have no words

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

Didn't they already do that, and it was terrible?

I'm not quite sure why people hated that movie.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

raditts posted:

Mostly because it was bad and the characters were supposed to be 10 years older but all still acted like teenagers

So like real adults then :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

blue squares posted:

Tahani treating Jason like poo poo is decidedly unadorable

Well she is the worst of them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

The Good Place would be like Westworld

Westworld is The Good Place but for rich people

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

I haven't seen The League, but In Parks & Rec he plays a smug entrepreneur, in B99 he plays an intensely aggressive loose cannon, and in Good Place he's playing a giddy babyman to whom everything is new and a delight. I don't really think they're the same or that he plays them the same.

They're all virtually identical performanes

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

you know, when i used to read a lot of books on dreams/lucid dreams/sleep science, they always claimed that's impossible, but it has happened to me a whole lot

The books are wrong.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

:tinfoil: : She mentioned that she couldn't take their case because there was no paperwork or advocate. Because she's all knowing, she knew exactly when Janet and Michael would show up, so she came up with the tests basically just to amuse herself before the real trial. That's why the episode was named after the burrito, because they assumed it was the real thing before the real thing revealed itself.

Please tell me this is real

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The problem is any living thing can live longer without food than it can without water. The donkey would drink the water first, then go eat the hay.

Welcome to why the following question is a choice between two identical things.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah Chidi is punished for being mentally ill. The Good Place/Bad Place system is hosed.

The re-curing theme seems to be that if you can't exceed your circumstances then it's torture. Eleanor was shaped into a distrustful person incapable of caring about anyone by her parents, so by managing to empathize with others in spite of that she passed her test. In-between Jason's stupidity, Chidi's anxiety and Tahani's obsession with her parents recognition what they all have in common is that they are still unable, even when in full knowledge of their flaws, to be better.

This is probably off since our case-data for people who have qualified so far is Eleanor and no one else. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

If you want a more straight reading, even Eleanor's test isn't really fair, because she's told she doesn't need to take one. She's directly lied to. Yes, her distrusting nature means she figures out that that IS the test, but it's the same trick Chidi gets. Jen doesn't SAY picking the wrong hat damns them all, but she knows he'll infer that.

Like, give anyone in this thread two cupcakes on a plate. Most people will grab one at random.
Give them two cupcakes and say that if you mess this up, you and your closest friends will be killed. I'm sooo sure everyone would be able to pick one in 2 seconds flat. :rolleyes:

It's not really the same because it wasn't about sussing out that the premise was a lie. It was about seeing if Eleanor, someone who got damned for her inability to empathize with others, would go back on the promise she just made to the others that either they're all going or non of them are going. She sussed out fake-Chidi specifically because she rejected the easy way out which was the test.

WampaLord posted:

They were already eternally damned, this is the criteria for appealing that decision.

The system, as it has been explained to us, is supremely unfair and hosed.

Well yeah. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Your Taint posted:

Weird Al reprising his role from Galavant would have owned.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The judge literally told her she passed at the end of her test. She cut off the judge to spare the feelings of her friends.

Watching television is like, really hard

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The judge was just being polite by respecting Eleanor's decision to go with the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Comic Sans is just a font, though, and nobody sane gives a poo poo about those.

You're dead to me,

person I've never met and have no real investment in

• Locked thread