Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think it probably would have collapsed just as fast without the note. Jason knew nothing about the note, and he basically blew the whole thing by breaking character in front of everyone. I think that Michael might fool himself into thinking that the note was the reason the whole thing fell apart, but the actual reason is that his tortures were not subtle enough. It felt too much like torture too soon. Tahani broke at the party and Jason broke a little while later.

I just found the new thread and this show owns!

One little thing about this is that part of the 1.0 plan involved the recognition that Jason would want to act out and relying on Eleanor to suppress him, putting pressure on them both because Jason would chafe under Eleanor's demands and Eleanor would be terrified that Jason would blow their cover. I think it was actually on Michael's diagram. Separating them just makes Jason a loose cannon, and Michael was completely reliant on the fire guy to do the job instead.

1.0 was effective at pitting the humans against each other, but humans find opportunity in adversity. 2.0 assumes that demons would do a better job keeping them under control, but this turned out to be the opposite of true. I was suspicious of Michael's "revelation" at the end of season 1 and this just confirms it. Michael still fundamentally doesn't understand his humans enough to keep them on rails.

Show owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
  • The run where Jason meets his soulmate and immediately goes "no way, dawg."
  • The run where Tahani breaks down immediately.
  • The run where Jason gets drunk at the party.
  • The run where Michael convinces Chidi that he was the best and makes him speak instead.
  • The run without cocktail shrimp.
  • The run where Eleanor and Tahani hook up at the party.
  • The run where Chidi gets drunk at the party.
  • The run where Vicki messes everything up.
  • The run where the party is different and Jason outs himself by tapping a keg again.
  • The run where Janet gets drunk at the party.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Maybe Michael will actually do a slow burn this time. He said he would by separating them, but then he got aggressive with the direct mind games immediately instead of letting them settle in, which is ironically what he did do the first time - he laid it thick on Eleanor but largely let her work on Chidi and Jason and Jason work on Tahani for a while.

Alternatively, the next run will crash because Michael is so focused on how Eleanor outsmarted him that he didn't even notice that Tahani and Jason both went pretty off the rails in 2.0 as well, and Jason mostly all on his own.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Mindy accomplished something. Chidi didn't, regardless of his reasons or whether they're justifiable.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The last episode had the perfect amount of Mantzoukas.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In seriousness, does Shawn's character really need an even stiffer foil? He's already the alien straight man himself, and he does better in a position of malevolent but stone-faced authority without a goofy henchmandeputy to lay him low.

Now, does he need to be challenged by long-suffering hotshot demon from the other side of the tracks with whom he has personal awkwardness and professional rivalry Busy Philipps? Absolutely.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Season 2 kind of soured me on Kimmy but I'm suddenly considering looking at the new season.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The first half of S2E2 is unbelievably good TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They even got Janet v2! (Janet changing her outfit and hair every time she reboots is one of my favorite little things.)

• Locked thread