Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

HPanda posted:

Michael withheld a memory from Tahani to make her more convinced she belonged in the good place with the intention of torturing her with it later. No reason he couldn't withhold good memories of Eleanor for similar purposes.

If you're talking about the memory of her death, one of the first rules that was established is that they would erase the memory of a particularly embarrassing death, so that's not new.

So far, aside from that, we've only seen Michael manipulate their post-mortem memories. And that's been pretty much a blunt instrument, erasing everything they remember since they died, rather than any kind of careful redaction. It wouldn't be a stretch if it turned out he could also change the memories of their lives, but it seems like it would make the whole situation less effective if they didn't remember anything that would make them think they belonged in the Good Place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I'm Eleanor really wanting to hi-five Michael over that "like the blood was all over him" bit.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think so; I thought she might not remember that because of the resets, but it seems like she retained something.

Nah, she's just independently developing attraction for him again. All the reboots have been depicted as total resets, which is important because it means things keep playing out the same way not because of prior knowledge, but because of their personalities.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

tsob posted:

Good people aren't born inherently good, they learn to be good via consequence. Which is why removing consequence is a potential problem.

If people have to learn to be good, that doesn't mean they'll stop being good once consequence is removed. Keeping the same behavior patterns outside the environment you developed them in is sort of the definition of learning.

Also, the idea that people aren't born inherently good is questionable too. Being good feels nice. Seeing people smile when you help them is wonderful, petting cats is great. Lots of bad behaviors are learned, either because you do something lovely once, get rewarded for it and just keep running with it, or because you feel unsafe somehow and start doing lovely stuff looking for some misguided sense of security. In a place where you can't be hurt and all your wants and needs are instantly provided, there's no incentive to be bad either.

Most importantly, don't forget to factor in that people apparently go to the bad place for being French. Would people in the good place start speaking French if they knew it didn't have any consequences?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I really want to know what explanation Vicki came up with for stabbing Chidi with needles while keeping up the Good Place act.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

- "Janet's made a lot of talk-talk into my ear-holes..." I hate this guy already.

Yeah. I don't know anything about the actor, but I hope the writers dial down the quirkiness a bit.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Ding ding we have a winner

The points system is a guideline that only exists to show that good deeds equal good people and vice versa in the show's universe, and any weird values like "French are automatically bad" exist because the writers come up with a good joke. Got a bunch of Chidis up in this thread trying to figure out a deep mystery behind the point joke delivery system.

Nah.

The point of the joke is that it illustrates the system is unfair. It works to advance the plot because Michael's saying "I don't have to think about the ethics of Les Miz because I know they're all going to hell anyway", and using such an arbitrary example makes you think the assumptions of the good place/bad place system should be questioned.

Like it's not really a mystery, but it's also not just a joke. The joke is funnier in the context of the plot, and the plot's point is sharper because it's got jokes. Writing.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Wait, do we know if the Doug Forcett story was just made up for Michale's "Good Place" ?

quote:

Entertainment Weekly: Does Doug Forcett — the Canadian kid who got high on mushrooms and guessed 92 percent of the Good Place — actually exist?
Mike Schur: [Laughs] It is canon in our writers’ room, at this moment in time — subject to change — yes, Doug Forcett exists and that story is real.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Argue posted:

So, who do you guys think is gonna be the real judge? I want to say Offerman but Jameela said you'd poo poo your pants when you found out who it was (I hope she's not overselling that).

In which case I'm going with Obama. Schur got Biden; he has the connections!

That would be incredible, but it also means she responded to "who do you most want to act with" with "Obama".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

:tinfoil: : She mentioned that she couldn't take their case because there was no paperwork or advocate. Because she's all knowing, she knew exactly when Janet and Michael would show up, so she came up with the tests basically just to amuse herself before the real trial. That's why the episode was named after the burrito, because they assumed it was the real thing before the real thing revealed itself.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Dunno about Hulu, but it's up on NBC's site.

Escobarbarian posted:

Great episode this season is amazing etc.

BUT THE ONE ISSUE I HAD WAS the way to win Jason’s test was to not play? That doesn’t really track for me considering he was told “hey this is your test”. Why would he think he could refuse that?

He didn't let her finish. If he had, presumably she would have said "your test is to be locked in this room with this video game and not play it" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Paul F. Tompkins has got to be on this show at some point. I mean... come on.

When they finally get to the Good Place, they're greeted by Mr. Peanutbutter.

• Locked thread