Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Much stronger second episode I thought. I am kinda disappointed they deviated so much from the original story though. But the other 2 series, being not just short stories but extremely short stories, had to by necessity. I will say though that all the gory child murder in search and rescue woods would not have been filmable even for syfy but those were mostly the worst parts anyway. Except for the stupid one about the guy doing backflips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ.

What the gently caress just happened. Holy loving gently caress. That trepaning scene was so loving upsetting. Just queasy bodily, queasy existentially, just loving sickening and lurid.

Amazing, obviously, but I felt so loving sick after that. Jesus.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I found the trepanation scene weirdly tender and loving. Which is pretty much worse? I don't know.

Good music for that scene or for the fade to black at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAOQFs8nW_k

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Peach being so soft and gentle during it and Mr. Schizophrenia pushing through the brain folds as a ticking time bomb was deeply unsettling. It’s a really shame that AHS gets so much more attention then Channel Zero

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

GODDAMN

this season is putting to shame American Horror Story.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
I can’t believe how underwatched this show is. Netflix needs to pick it up or something

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This is the best horror being produced right now, on film or tv.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

If I felt like the previous two seasons were too boring/slow-paced/meandering, would I like this? I didn't necessarily hate the last few seasons, and I'm willing to give anything with Rutger Hauer a chance.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Vedius Pollio posted:

If I felt like the previous two seasons were too boring/slow-paced/meandering, would I like this? I didn't necessarily hate the last few seasons, and I'm willing to give anything with Rutger Hauer a chance.

Not really no, this is more of the same.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Vedius Pollio posted:

I think it's a vast improvement on the first two seasons, but it is still fairly slow paced.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

It's really jarring and unexpected. It's great.

I hope some one jumps in the door to The Void.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If people like this season, they should definitely watch Hannibal tv series.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If people like this season, they should definitely watch Hannibal tv series.

Yeah, seconding this. Got a lot of Hannibal vibes from this most recent episode.

This show has gotten me to actually turn away from the screen with some of the more squeamish shots, and the whole tone really oozes a paranoia that isn't perfectly executed but is executed way better than most anything on tv at least.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

JossiRossi posted:

Yeah, seconding this. Got a lot of Hannibal vibes from this most recent episode.

This show has gotten me to actually turn away from the screen with some of the more squeamish shots, and the whole tone really oozes a paranoia that isn't perfectly executed but is executed way better than most anything on tv at least.
Yeah, when the sister couldn't stand to eat the cooked meat and instead just decided to start savagely carving into her leg at the table...that poo poo seemed really brutal. Also obviously this scene:

Some of this season has been a bit goofy though, like the personification of the schizophrenia (though the endless flower hand field was great and reminded me of some scene from Evil Within).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

discworld is all I read posted:

Some of this season has been a bit goofy though, like the personification of the schizophrenia

Absolutely purposefully though. It's Giallo. The dramatic zooms and weird comic touches could be straight out of Suspiria.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Also, I wasn't too sold on Alice's actor earlier, but she really sells the "I'm looking at something I can not comprehend and am losing my mind" REALLY well.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Absolutely purposefully though. It's Giallo. The dramatic zooms and weird comic touches could be straight out of Suspiria.
Doesn't make it less goofy. Especially when the cannibal brother started to Fatboy Slim his way through the hospital or the ear wafer parfait. I mean I'm not knocking it; it's still a strong season but it definitely hasn't a different feel than the other seasons.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

this loving show

There are so many amazing visuals in this episode

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm definitely not feeling this season. The imagery is plenty creepy but I'm not a fan of the Peaches. Especially as they are apparently fairly easy to kill, kind of lessens the terror there.

Also is it just me or was the scene where the Chief cut his son's throat really awkward? Mainly because it looks like he's just stabbing him in the gut and then they do the reveal and his throat is cut.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

muscles like this! posted:

Also is it just me or was the scene where the Chief cut his son's throat really awkward? Mainly because it looks like he's just stabbing him in the gut and then they do the reveal and his throat is cut.

Oh my god, yes.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

I'm definitely not feeling this season. The imagery is plenty creepy but I'm not a fan of the Peaches. Especially as they are apparently fairly easy to kill, kind of lessens the terror there.

I'm not sure you're really supposed to be afraid of the Peaches after a couple eps in. Maybe at first. But now the show has basically normalized them and the scary part is the landlord and various Mr. Schizophrenias.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I always watch this show drunk as hell. The landlord that's a prick and not the old lady, right? Who is the former

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

I always watch this show drunk as hell. The landlord that's a prick and not the old lady, right? Who is the former

I have no idea what you're saying, but if I had to guess:

The older woman with the missing finger is Alice's landlord, yes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Why's the landlord the scary part?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why's the landlord the scary part?
The landlord meaning the mysterious god who gave the family their powers. Up to now represented by the Antler-headed being.

I dunno if I like Season 3 nearly as much as 1 or 2. I absolutely loved No-End House and thought it was a really cool concept to explore what a supernatural creature imbued with a good father's memories would think about its existence. Candle Cove was a bit too slow (should have been a couple episodes shorter), but it had a nice eerie atmosphere without going overboard. Both seasons reminded me a lot of Silent Hill.

Butcher's Block on the other hand is just full-on schlock and derivative horror imagery like creepy midgets and rotting meat/cannibalism. I did enjoy the meat-man the first time I saw him, but he is just a variation on tooth-man from s1. A lot of the time I feel like the show's creators saw David Lynch movies and thought, "hey, we can do stuff like that, too" without the actual creative spark that Lynch has. I mean, come on, Alice's schizophrenia monster is the radiator lady from Eraserhead. Some of the other stuff is like Hellraiser or Event Horizon.

I'd rate it at like 5 or 6/10 for this season so far.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 11, 2018

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Nick Antosca really has a thing for cannibalism, huh?

Yeah I have to agree. Seems like it's falling into the same trap a lot of modern horror does, where they trade coherent plot points for lots of creepy/gross imagery. Don't get me wrong, it's well shot and everything, but it just feels like too much piled on. The deformed butcher children, the finger produce, the man made of meat and organs (what's his deal anyway,) Izzy bursting through the wall, the door that leads to the void, the door that leads to the "landlord," the landlord itself as a deer skull man, etc. Even the disease itself has been represented by three different things: the little face in her brain (what happened with that original trepaning scene anyway,) the actual creature stalking her, and now a centipede they pull from out of their mouth? Too many ideas that don't flow into each other nicely.

I mean, I get the gist, the family trading cannibalism for immortality or what have you, obviously wanting the sisters to replace those that died. But it feels like things that will never really truly be explained and that we just have to take at face value. I'll be surprised if they get into it in the final episode, and it's not just the sisters reuniting and escaping to find Izzy in a happy ending.

Also, I'm not saying Search & Rescue would have made an awesome story, or that you could even stretch it out across even six episodes, but when the only element they take is a set of stairs in a park that shouldn't lead anywhere, it loses the spirit.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

OmegaBR posted:

Also, I'm not saying Search & Rescue would have made an awesome story, or that you could even stretch it out across even six episodes, but when the only element they take is a set of stairs in a park that shouldn't lead anywhere, it loses the spirit.
It barely counts as adapting a story compared to the first two seasons, right? The entrance to their dimension could just as easily have been a portal in a wall or something. What do the stairs have to do with them being cannibals or butchers? At most, maybe the "top of the food chain" concept?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wish they stuck closer to the pasta for this one but there's a good amount to like here.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm really liking the season. It's lurid and strange, sure, but I'm not sure why there's anything wrong with that. Plus it pretty much all comes back to a central theme of class and exploitation, as depicted through the eyes of a social worker who's at risk of falling through the cracks herself.

OmegaBR posted:

Even the disease itself has been represented by three different things: the little face in her brain (what happened with that original trepaning scene anyway,) the actual creature stalking her, and now a centipede they pull from out of their mouth?

I think I can explain this -- the trepanning was a way for Joey Peach to find an activate her schizophrenia, and therefore force her hand. He wakes up the spectre of schizophrenia, which then hunts her and grows more over the next few episodes. It's a literalisation of a schizophrenic episode, but not the part of her brain that's actually ill. i.e. it's a threat that can be managed and even temporarily defeated, but it'll always come back, which is also Peach's argument back in the fourth episode.

The centipede is the manifestation of the actual core of her illness. (I imagine it's a centipede because of the game she and her sister used to play with them, as seen in that flashback in episode 2. "Father Time's gonna get you." = "Your schizophrenia is going to wake up and break your brain.")

So, I guess it's only two different things, one representing the symptoms and struggle of living with the disease, and the other representing the essential quality of the illness itself.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

This season hasn't been as strong as No End House, but getting to watch Rutger Hauer be a really nice patriarch cannibal has been worth it.

For this being an adaptation, it's so incredibly loose. Like the only things I can see are there is a repeated entity called "The Fuzzy Faced Man", sometimes people go missing and come back starving and unconsiously going for any meat, even a person; and the stairs.

Search and Rescue could work as a slow burn where you follow a new park person, and basically you are just presented with increasingly strange encounters, and you see how the S&R officer sees more and more brutality and slowly loses their humanity themselves until in the end they are just training the next person and telling the new kid to ignore the stairs, they just exist. But even at it's best, it is still a little thin on content, usually relying on tone to be entertaining.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This ended up being my favorite of all 3 seasons, with 2 being a close 2nd. This was creepy, gory, and I really enjoyed all the characters.

Incredibly strong ending, even though it was a downer and a bit of a kick in the butt.

And one absolutely beautiful practical effect, holey moley that made the whole season for me.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I know I just gave a crappy review above, but I think the way the season went and how it ended landed it up in the 8/10 category instead of 5 or 6. I do feel it relied on too many cliched horror tropes and gory shock imagery, but it had very likable characters at the end and I like how Zoe became the true protagonist who accepted her flaw. Awesome scene with the elder god thing, too.
I'm still looking forward to whatever comes next for this series.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

While I think there were some issues with the ideas being a bit scattershot, overall I liked this season a lot. Rutger Hauer was absolutely fantastic to watch. He never really had a heel turn, he was the kindly grandfatherly type who just wanted the best for his family. It's just that it included sacrificing the children of those who killed his daughters to get it. His, "You just killed your sister" was so well delivered. There was so much sadness in it, instead of anger or revenge. He exuded the concept of not being mad, just disappointed. All the characters were fun, and the unlikability of Alice through the first half really helped sell her fall in the last 2 episodes.

The higher power scene evoked a ton of satanic/cult imagery that I thought was real fun, despite being just a goat headed dude, it came across quite strongly and very 70s horror. Really I think that must have been a driving force in the design of a lot of things were old horror movies. Tons of suspense, over the top gore shocks, and a lot of just low key interaction. I also liked that the god seemed to follow a code of sorts. Get me a child to eat every year and you get to live in heaven and a couple other gifts. When the deal was unfulfilled he only punished the guilty (instead of murdering all the likable people hanging out at the tree line too), and even showed a perverse leniency to the girl who'd only just joined up.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Yeah this is probably my favorite season as well. Just really dug the whole aesthetic of the season, a ton of references to ‘70s films (Don’t Look Now was particularly egregious). The ‘universe’ effects in the finale were awesome. Not sure what else the director of the season has done, but I’m definitely gonna check out her poo poo in the future.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

JossiRossi posted:

While I think there were some issues with the ideas being a bit scattershot, overall I liked this season a lot. Rutger Hauer was absolutely fantastic to watch. He never really had a heel turn, he was the kindly grandfatherly type who just wanted the best for his family. It's just that it included sacrificing the children of those who killed his daughters to get it. His, "You just killed your sister" was so well delivered. There was so much sadness in it, instead of anger or revenge. He exuded the concept of not being mad, just disappointed. All the characters were fun, and the unlikability of Alice through the first half really helped sell her fall in the last 2 episodes.

The higher power scene evoked a ton of satanic/cult imagery that I thought was real fun, despite being just a goat headed dude, it came across quite strongly and very 70s horror. Really I think that must have been a driving force in the design of a lot of things were old horror movies. Tons of suspense, over the top gore shocks, and a lot of just low key interaction. I also liked that the god seemed to follow a code of sorts. Get me a child to eat every year and you get to live in heaven and a couple other gifts. When the deal was unfulfilled he only punished the guilty (instead of murdering all the likable people hanging out at the tree line too), and even showed a perverse leniency to the girl who'd only just joined up.

I don't think it was leniency. During that scene it replays the scene with her saying "Anything is better than going insane." He read her mind and saw that the best way to punish her wasn't to kill her, it was to let her live and eventually go crazy.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah basically it took back what it gave. Peach wanted his family to thrive and live forever so it took that back. Alice joined up to not be crazy. It drove her insane as her punishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A fair point, I guess I see Death or Insanity to still be lesser punishments than what an evil god could be capable of is all. So madness while the worst thing Alice might have imagined, is not as bad as what it could have come up with.

• Locked thread