Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

JossiRossi posted:

While I think there were some issues with the ideas being a bit scattershot, overall I liked this season a lot. Rutger Hauer was absolutely fantastic to watch. He never really had a heel turn, he was the kindly grandfatherly type who just wanted the best for his family. It's just that it included sacrificing the children of those who killed his daughters to get it. His, "You just killed your sister" was so well delivered. There was so much sadness in it, instead of anger or revenge. He exuded the concept of not being mad, just disappointed. All the characters were fun, and the unlikability of Alice through the first half really helped sell her fall in the last 2 episodes.

The higher power scene evoked a ton of satanic/cult imagery that I thought was real fun, despite being just a goat headed dude, it came across quite strongly and very 70s horror. Really I think that must have been a driving force in the design of a lot of things were old horror movies. Tons of suspense, over the top gore shocks, and a lot of just low key interaction. I also liked that the god seemed to follow a code of sorts. Get me a child to eat every year and you get to live in heaven and a couple other gifts. When the deal was unfulfilled he only punished the guilty (instead of murdering all the likable people hanging out at the tree line too), and even showed a perverse leniency to the girl who'd only just joined up.

I don't think it was leniency. During that scene it replays the scene with her saying "Anything is better than going insane." He read her mind and saw that the best way to punish her wasn't to kill her, it was to let her live and eventually go crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread