Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why's the landlord the scary part?
The landlord meaning the mysterious god who gave the family their powers. Up to now represented by the Antler-headed being.

I dunno if I like Season 3 nearly as much as 1 or 2. I absolutely loved No-End House and thought it was a really cool concept to explore what a supernatural creature imbued with a good father's memories would think about its existence. Candle Cove was a bit too slow (should have been a couple episodes shorter), but it had a nice eerie atmosphere without going overboard. Both seasons reminded me a lot of Silent Hill.

Butcher's Block on the other hand is just full-on schlock and derivative horror imagery like creepy midgets and rotting meat/cannibalism. I did enjoy the meat-man the first time I saw him, but he is just a variation on tooth-man from s1. A lot of the time I feel like the show's creators saw David Lynch movies and thought, "hey, we can do stuff like that, too" without the actual creative spark that Lynch has. I mean, come on, Alice's schizophrenia monster is the radiator lady from Eraserhead. Some of the other stuff is like Hellraiser or Event Horizon.

I'd rate it at like 5 or 6/10 for this season so far.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

OmegaBR posted:

Also, I'm not saying Search & Rescue would have made an awesome story, or that you could even stretch it out across even six episodes, but when the only element they take is a set of stairs in a park that shouldn't lead anywhere, it loses the spirit.
It barely counts as adapting a story compared to the first two seasons, right? The entrance to their dimension could just as easily have been a portal in a wall or something. What do the stairs have to do with them being cannibals or butchers? At most, maybe the "top of the food chain" concept?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I know I just gave a crappy review above, but I think the way the season went and how it ended landed it up in the 8/10 category instead of 5 or 6. I do feel it relied on too many cliched horror tropes and gory shock imagery, but it had very likable characters at the end and I like how Zoe became the true protagonist who accepted her flaw. Awesome scene with the elder god thing, too.
I'm still looking forward to whatever comes next for this series.

• Locked thread