Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Tanash the Founder
The Executive Suite

"Fair enough. I will send word to our customs office, we will dispatch a service to your border territories shortly to provide the stamp of approval that our organization uses. This should help you get a foot in the door. I look forward to seeing what you do with it. I do have a proposal for you, but I think this is enough for now. Also I'm afraid that my godly senses are pricking at me, I think a laserbearded pirate has just captured the rock and roll sensation the Space Crue and is holding them hostage. I... will need to go deal with that."

He signs the contract and sends a note to Ms. Sune to make the arrangement.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Åton to Tanash

Åton <"Agreed."> He signs it as only a god can. Åton Faded away, other conversations prickling his senses.

OOC:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Kamilia Arajums
Tanash's Elevator

When Tanash opens the elevator he finds a very particular corpse leaning against a corner, book in hand. Some Marlian potboiler.

"Oh hey there Scratch, was wondering how long it would take you to finish up with Lemki." She says.

The book is shoved back into spirit space before Kamila extends a hand. It smells a bit like jasmine, old books, and incense.

"Kamila Arajums, I'm Mother's host. We've met." A chuckle works it's way out of her dead throat. "Well, in a sense."

She looks down at the smaller deity with bright blue eyes and a sardonic smile.

"I think the rest of me can handle going without my wisecracks for a few hours, and I just gotta see this."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Tanash the Founder
The Executive Suite

After Aton fades he nods, the contract flitting over to his filing cabinet as he walks over to the elevator. He had no idea where Laserbeard was of course - but he could probably use the connection of the Charter to appear there. He closes his head and leans it against the elevator door as he waits for it to arrive. What was his plan?

He didn't really have one.

Typical. Time to improvise then. He puts on his game face when the door opens, which only partially falters when there is a woman standing there. He shakes her hand, but is clearly unsure about her presence, "And what exactly are you expecting to see, Ms. Arajums?"

He moves his hand over the floor controls, the panel seeming to rearrange itself until he is satisfied and he hits a button that should be suitably dramatic.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Kamilia Arajums
Tanash's Elevator

Kamila snorts.

"I will have you know I'm Mother Superior Arajums."

She pulls the potboiler back out of spirit space, something about princesses and romance or such like.

"I'm not entirely sure, but I do know you love to put on a show and drat if I'm gon' miss some drama to stare real hard at a rock with five dozen other women."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Tanash the Founder
The Executive Suite

He takes a moment to process that statement, "Your shared existence sounds exhilarating."

Tanash glances at the book, chuckling a bit, "I see the insidious creep of our culture is reaching truly great heights."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Kamilia Arajums
The Elevator

Kamila chuckles. It was nice to get out, really talk to other people. It didn't happen enough anymore.

"It's an unliving, and I will read-whatever-I-please." the last half comes in a playful sing-song.

She cracks her knuckles, the others always let the joints get so stiff.

"You wanna make the others real annoyed? Mention my taste in literature. They'll all grimace at once, except Eve."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Primus
A metaphysical realm concurrent with Starbound space

The songs of starbound and the homebound, even if for the briefest of moments, gained a third, interloping note. A deep, choral note, imperious and brash. It made its will known.

"KNOW THAT I AM PRIMUS, THE PAST AND FUTURE OVERLORD OF THIS GALAXY. AND AS PRIMUS YOU WILL ADDRESS ME."

"Now tell me this, ALIEN stonehost known as Åton. Why are you here? EXPLAIN to me your intent and the reason for your intruding presence immediately, and declare now, once and for all: am I to consider you a thing of reason, or a mindless PLAGUE to be eradicated for all time?"

The presence remained, demanding answers.

Primus would like to know why you're visiting and if you're going to break his antiques.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 12, 2017

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

I am Communist posted:

Åton to DEIOSA
Åton approaches Deiosa, a calm wind on the shore of a deep blue ocean. <"Greetings. The Starbound and I have come to speak and trade ideas, knowledge and goods. Resiliency and the ability to grow and understand. We have the means beyond technology, natural, and unnatural laws to enhance and circumvent the limitations of such. Creative Enhancements. Will you speak with us?"

It glows. It sings. These words have no meaning. They show distinct function. They show nothing. They show something. It burns, but it does not burn you.

Then it turns away.

Maybe it was best to speak with something else.

fishception fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 12, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Tanash the Founder
The Hellevator

"I don't worry. I have spent a great deal of time studying your Wheels, and I have made note of the fact that are not all in agreement with one another. In fact, I spent an afternoon cross referencing the incongruities with the authors to figure out what theological questions your conclave would have no clear majority on. If I ever want to annoy you and your fellow travelers, I am more than prepared."

The elevator door dings, as Tanash adjusts his cuff-links, "Well, that's my cue. I do hope you find this as entertaining as you'd hoped."

When the door slides open Tanash steps through it with a wide, bright and predatory smile, addressing everyone in the room, "Hello! I apologize for the intrusion, however if any of you know where one Captain Laserbeard is currently residing please do indicate to him that he has a visitor. Tell him that Tanash the Founder has arrived concerning a matter of most dire import."

Hello Laserbeard. We need to talk.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Kamilia Arajums
The Elevator

Kamila breaks out in laughter, when it passes she slaps Tanash on the shoulder.

"You're alright Scratch."

When the elevator door opens there's only Tanash, and a thin fog that pours out behind him.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Bryn

A courtier brought in the message of the visitor. Bryn considered for a moment before waiving for the being to be shown in. Unlike the previous pretender who had so rudely insinutated itself into his work, this being at least understood the respect the one true god was due.

You've got your audience.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Åton to Anwé
Åton waited.

Åton to DEIOSA
Åton had used words but Deiosa disconnected. A pity.

Åton to Bryn

Åton entered the court of Bryn. His form smaller in stature than Bryn. Åton though he lacked pride in himself, had encountered it before and through the Starbound. The bow was metaphysical but was meant to show the proper deference and respect in the domain of another. It seemed Bryn valued the rites and rituals of such.

<"I greet you, God-Emperor Bryn of the dominion of the Leonis and affiliated subjects."> Åton didn't have a concept of slavery as such but it seemed similar to how Åton himself viewed assimilating. <"You do me honor in allowing me this audience. I have come to trade knowledge, goods, and services from beyond the galactic rim.">

OOC: The intro, didn't want to go on for pages. Substitute the correct title for god emperor.

Åton to PRIMUS

PRIMUS entered Åton's domain like a bull in a china shop. The life form Åton was molding shattered by the booming note that was PRIMUS. Oh well, Åton let the pieces drop into the void. Turning towards his guest, Åton noted PRIMUS' preference of address.

<"Greetings PRIMUS. It has been a long time since I have been visited by another elder being. You are welcome here. You may call me Åton. I do enjoy a good conversation.">

<"I and the Starbound are here in peace, harmony, and unity to offer the same along with immortality and a cure for the mortal condition to any who would or could desire it.">

<"I am a being of peace, logic, and reason. As are my children. We are looking to trade enhancements and knowledge, and perhaps services in our journey through space and time.">

<"It seems you are concerned we might co-opt or damage those items marked with your signature? We have not encountered such but we could look out for those items for you as we travel. With the correct arrangement/agreement.">

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Bryn

Bryn looked upon the visitor. "And what might you have to offer one such as myself?" his tone is not quite incredulous, but it is close enough.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Åton to Bryn

Åton thought he had what might interest Bryn initially. Crystals in weapons, crystal weapons and armor, crystal spell focuses, shielding, scrying crystal additions and mods for installation into virtually most applications. <"These trade items will be free from any Starbound conversion effects. They can provide energy or retune magic if configured in the correct focus.">
  • A small list:
    • Magical mods and enhancers:
      • Magical Amplification: Spell Effects
      • Magical Amplification: Spell Range
      • Magical Amplification: Spell Power
      • Enhancement of weapons
      • Enhancement of armor
      • Magnification of scying or detection
      • Crystal based items

OOC: These can be enhancements or mods for existing magic or tech used, or even crystal based equipment. Like swords or magic light sabers etc.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Primus

"You speak of peace, but what is your peace, INVADER, but the peace of DEAD ROCK and STAGNATION?", stated Primus, "For what I see is a plague that spreads wherever so it might roost, a hivemind that seeks to supplant all else with its din. Know that this outcome is INTOLERABLE."

"Remember forever that you are an OUTSIDER, a bringer of peace by assimilation, a bringer of unity not wanted."

Primus kept a pause, allowing his imperious glow to suffuse the godly space.

"But know also that I am a MERCIFUL LORD, and that all things thus are given the choice to exist under my vision, as long as they BEHAVE. So answer for your own sake this, the most important question:"

"Will you BEHAVE?"

Primus is a tad bit concerned about your threateningly fast expansion! He wants to lay down some ground rules about living space. Only then can further deals be discussed.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Åton to PRIMUS

Åton listened patiently, the tirade was of course the only way PRIMUS seemed able to communicate. Extracting the information from the noise was not too hard. <"I see you have derived your information from the gestalt consciousness known as 'Mother-Above-All'. We do not stagnate, we are not dead. We live. We grow. We strive towards our own type of perfection. There is individuality on some level, a background signal to the whole. When all superfluous and harm is removed, one can meditate and bask in the glow of one-ness. My people are quite happy. I don't tell them or force that happiness upon them. It is a natural state of their elevated existence. My people do not war, they do not seek conflict within or without.">

<"Is not the will of MERCIFUL PRIMUS above that of the galaxy? Are the precursors and your current vassals/peoples not happy with their unity under PRIMUS? Of course they are happy as is just and right. Am I not correct in assuming this? Do they not prosper and grow under your hand, growing and developing under your guidance and wisdom? I thank the MERCIFUL PRIMUS for his willingness to listen and hear me and my Starbound.">
  • <"To answer your question(s):">

• <"The beings that join us do make that choice. We grow because we are invited. We do not have designs nor have we acted to supplant all else. Our agreement with and enforced by Tanash through his divinity should allay such concerns.">

• <"You in your omnipotence should be able to see we have befriended and aided the ASM-VEC who we saw as kindred, their existence as valid as our own.

• <"When confronted with those different than us and from our own Starbound we came to an agreement and saw their ideas as equally valid. They were not re-assimilated or changed but welcomed for their differences, those differences enhancing and enriching us while showing we do not stagnate or nullify change.">

<"We may not evolve as quickly as the rest of the galaxy and we do acknowledge the concerns of others. Does this alleviate some of your concern?">

OOC: Following the proper forms and deference, even though PRIMUS is in the domain of Åton: Åton has answered the concerns and PRIMUS should be able to verify what Åton has shown him.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Primus

The gaze of Primus lingered. Finally he spoke.

"A weed does not wage War, yet it smothers and kills all other life just the same. See to it that you do not become a WEED, and we can co-exist. I do not consider you one yet, for the words of the Merchant have been NOTED, as has the presence of those you have left unmolested. But do not consider yourself free of scrutiny, and acknowledge that within the Dominion's RIGHTFUL BORDERS I am in the process of Reclaiming, you will be subject to Dominion Tithe. Do not forget this. For as long as you don't, you will be allowed to remain."

The burning presence of Primus eased its incendiary glory to slighlty more tolerable levels.

"Speak to me of my treasures you find in the rim. Prove to me you can be dealt with in a manner I find within my self-interest, and you might get things in return."

Primus is alleviated to a degree, even if not completely without suspicion. So how about those deals? He really wants his poo poo back :v:

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Åton to PRIMUS

<"Agreed. We can respect your position and dominion sovereignty."> A weed grew without purpose or with regard for its growth. Åton let the comment pass, it was unimportant in any case. <"We can offer goods, that increase scanning range. Among other mods and enhancements. This does not change whatever technology/magic/natural things you are using. But can replace power supplies, making them smaller and more efficient or not requiring a charge at all. CPU processors and other enhancements.">

• We can offer:
    • Any tech or information about your Precursor Artifacts that we come across. Or any rumors o information contained within our own collective /individual consciousnesses
    • Technical mods and enhancers:
      • Potential infinite energy: drawn from ambient sources (batteries or power generators, warp core crystals)
      • Amplification of energy from your own sources
      • Enhancement of weapons
      • Enhancement of armor
      • Magnification of scans or detection
      • Crystal based items, limb prosthesis, tools, armor, medical tech

<"What can you and the dominion offer in exchange?">

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Primus

"I can offer the good will of the mightiest war machine in the Galaxy, and the fruits of the greatest artifacts and technologies EVER devised within it. I can offer otherwise useless planets within my Domain for your kind to inhabit, if they Oath themselves to spread not elsewhere, and pay their Tithe as due."

"But such talk is for another time, for I have gained what I sought coming here. For now, we are DONE."

And the presence was no more, the notes of Åton's people unsullied once more.

Dominion is a warlike nation, its most important export is the help of its powerful armed forces. It is an imperial domain that is very heterogenic in ints makeup outside the coreworlds, Starbound can settle as long as they pay their Tithes as all inside Dominion borders must. Lots of thralls and their industrial output and variety of aptitudes they can offer (though we'll have to wait for a census to see what I've actually got at this point). The other chief thing is favors and taks performed by Precursor Tech, but that is currently handiapped by the fact that I haven't yet scavenged that large of a variety.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Åton to PRIMUS

PRIMUS left. Even more crystal forms shattering in the aftermath. Åton gave the mental equivalent of a shrug. the talk was productive, sort of. While no agreements had been made, he got another glimpse as to how these other gods and their children saw the universe. <"Interesting indeed."> Any devices or precursor items would be stored for later trade to PRIMUS. It was the least that Åton could do.

OOC: Guess its all over but the cryyyyying.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Galactic Corporate Conglomerate
Marlian Expeditionary Agency

A man in a tan uniform stuck out among the blues and blacks of sensible business clothes the rest of the people in the room were wearing. He was an older gentlemen, almost an anachronism in this modern age. A hyperspace explorer that seemed to have stepped out from a time before the lanes were mapped and the galaxy was opened up.

"Sergeant-Captain Colin Montegue, Marlian Expeditionary Agency, reporting as ordered."

The man gives a sharp, professional salute. The woman at the head of the table returned it, with much less skill and precision, and the captain relaxed to an at-ease posture.

"Captain Montegue. You have a proposal for the board regarding a potential venture that you desire funding and support for?"

"Yes M'am. I've been going over reports from the Founder and have taken it upon myself to do some investigations of my own regarding the question of a potential Precursor fleet depot in the galactic north-west. Far beyond the borders of the Vanguard, but if I may be so bold, not beyond the reach of the Expeditionary Agency."

The captain reaches down a activates a display, converting one of the walls to a map with the proposed route, "Of course, the hyperlanes in that area are not well mapped, and there is no known route to the system in question. We could spend the time finding one, but frankly I believe that such a prize is likely to attract attention sooner rather than later. It is imperative in my view therefor, that we stake a claim on it as soon as possible. As it happens I have some friends in that region from a few decades back, we helped them with a bit of a tiff they were having with a neighbor species. Fantastic alcohol, nearly killed me in one shot, but that's beside the point."

"They owe me a favor, and with a bit of convincing and greased palms they should be able to transport us to the site using their own methods. Along the way, we can distribute Hyperspace buoys and some of those cracking new Commlinks to start rapidly mapping a route for our own vessels coming along behind, and we can stick a flag in before anyone is the wiser."

The room is silent, attempting to piece together the plan for themselves, "And what if the depot has a functioning defense system?"

"A fully functional precursor defense station built to protect a major fleet from attack and intrusion? Full of the most devastating weaponry and defenses the galaxy has ever seen directed to the singular purpose of keeping any interlopers out?"

"...Yes, what if you encounter that?"

The captain grins, his eyes taking a predatory light suddenly, "Then it'll make a bloody marvelous mantelpiece..."

Giving +4 Shipbuilding to Primus as part of the Tithe.

Using +2 Shipbuilding to create a small, discrete flotilla of ships that will be lead by Sergeant-Captain Colin Montegue on a +4 Entrepreneurial Venture to the emergency fleet depot the Fenadesh mentioned in the northwest. Thankfully, the Sergeant-Captain is a veteran explorer of the outer reaches and has a few +2 Integrated contacts he can use to help guide the expedition there safely. We're going on a Space Safari! There can be no better leader than the most British man in existence.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Anwé, the Near-and-Far
The Forgotten Library

There is a great, long delay where no reply comes. Just silence and darkness.

Eventually, Anwé speaks, "What secrets could a collective keep? What value do you offer?"

The Rahashi Syndicate

With the Silicate Threat taken care of, the Syndicate finally had the breathing room to expand. Spreading the Sensor Web to new and unclaimed spaces, opening new systems to Affiliate exploitation, backed by military force.

The Syndicate is using Teleportation [+4] and Espionage [+2] to Expand one square outward in all directions, excepting places already claimed by another (GCC, the Cage). The Syndicate is moving unmanned Listening Posts into the territory to monitor space as their method of territory control; objections are first come, first served.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Åton to Anwé

<"We can offer goods, that increase scanning range. Among other mods and enhancements. This does not change whatever technology/magic/natural things you are using. But can replace power supplies, making them smaller and more efficient or not requiring a charge at all. CPU processors for enhanced encryption and other enhancements.">

• We can offer:
    • Any tech or information about sectors that we come across. Or any rumors or information contained within our own collective /individual consciousnesses. Are you looking for anything in particular?
    • Technical mods and enhancers:
      • Magnification of scans or detection
      • Potential infinite energy: drawn from ambient sources (batteries or power generators, warp core crystals)
      • Amplification of energy from your own sources
      • Enhancement of weapons
      • Enhancement of armor
      • Crystal based items, limb prosthesis, tools, armor, medical tech
      • Other services godly or mortal in exchange for something of equal value

<"What can you and the Syndicate offer in exchange?">

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Anwé, the Near-and-Far
Speaking to Åton

There is a sound like the intake of breath. A sniffing. Anwé waves a dismissive hand.

"We will not accept or allow material trade of any kind. Information and Power are the currency of the realm. Something hidden. Something found."

The arm disappears back underneath his robe.

"What do you want?"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Laserbeard's flagship, among the Starkist flotilla, for Tanash the Founder

The Hellevator opened up on the spacious bridge of a piratical vessel, with three helm stations placed before a broad display screen looking out along much of the length of the ship, and a large figure in archaic armor rising from the command throne behind them.

"Dire Import, ye say? What, thrown yer balance of trade too much towards exports, have ye?"

A murmur of amusement from the various ne'er-do-wells of the bridge crew.

"Fancy way to make an entrance, that. Got my attention, be it fer good or ill. Well?"

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Tanash the Founder
Laserbeard's Flagship

The deity turned, looking upward at the pirate captain and giving a smile and a small bow, "I do apologize, I would normally call but it has come to my attention that there has been a most unfortunate mistake. It seems that members of your organization have detained members of mine. I have come to ensure that this situation is rectified without further unfortunate mistakes. So..."

He starts to stalk from one side of the room to the other, eyes locked on the pirate as he speaks, "You have my people. I want them back. How would you like to resolve this situation? I can be most accommodating to the preferences of new clientele ."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Åton to Anwé
  • We would like:
      • Tranfer of a nonet of our fleets to a galactic destination of our choosing
  • We can offer:
      • Service [Godly] (Either Conversion [+6], Resilience [+4], or Growth [+2])

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

The Pirate lord paced towards the God, the ship interior lights glittering off his faceplate.

"Aye, we have them, but their value to us is in their talent, their name recognition. Thanks to that concert, they've gone galactic, and our original plan was to keep 'em as caged songbirds, pumping out hit after hit, with us as exclusive distributors, getting fresh minted with every sale, all over the great spiral. Now, keeping 'em fed, watered and equipped would dig into that, so if'n ye can guarantee us the selfsame value we'd have gotten out of them on our plan, no tricks, then we wouldn't rightly have a reason to keep 'em from ye, would we? We'd save on expenses, accrue the benefits, and go about our way. Reckon you can 'accomodate' that?"

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Tanash the Founder
Laserbeard's Flagship

Tanash has to admit this was... a novel plan. However he doesn't think they have thought this entirely through, for a variety of reasons.

"I'm afraid you might be a bit confused. Music piracy is not kidnapping artists so they can create works for you to sell. Music piracy is the ability to take the recording of a song and then pass it on to others without having to pay for it again. Putting aside that potential problem, where were you going to go that you thought you'd escape the long arm of my organization and its allies? The outer rim? The Syndicate? Or perhaps you had thought that you would be able to use them as hostages?"

His aspect seems to grow and become darker, as though a veil was being drawn back as he continues to talk with a far more... demonic timber, "They are already mine. They bartered away their souls for rock and roll, and nothing you say, nothing you do can change that fact. They wanted to be the greatest the galaxy has ever seen, and this has been granted. They declare it ever concert - 'Our father who ain't in heaven, be thy name on the wild side.' Did you think that was referring to someone else?"

"However, this is a great thing you have done. Truly you are the final piece of the puzzle. Kidnapped by space pirates, died in an unfortunate explosion after a failed escape attempt. Yes, that's even better. People would always remember the songs that they never had a chance to make, and those would be the greatest songs of all. They would have lived their whole lives in the moment of that concert, and then they would live forever... They would never fade away and my deal would be paid in full."

The words seem to echo, resonating with some powerful pact that had been struck. But at the same time, the demonic presence fades and when they blink there is simply Tanash the Founder standing there, as though nothing had just occurred,

"But there ain't no reason we can't make a deal. You're a sophisticated sentient, Captain. The same must be said of your crew as well if they have agreed to go along with this plan. However I think you have missed something very obvious. You said you wanted to get fresh minted every time they made a new hit, but you don't need them for that. You have something much better - you have yourself."

Tanash points to Laserbeard, then motions all around as he begins to conjure up images as he makes his pitch, "Everyone has heard of the great pirate Laserbeard. There are hundreds of different stories of daring, of wit. Of the greatest capers and the narrowest escapes. You and your crew are legends in your own time, captain. Just think of it. Registering your image and person, the image and person of your crew with the GCC. We will protect your copyrights most vigorously, for that is our way. That means no one stealing your profits, no one using your image for their own benefit. The branded merchandise alone would make you richer than your current plan could ever hope to. That's not even counting the book rights! The True Story of Laserbeard! It would sell better than most religious texts."

"Your crew as well! Everyone here has a story, a way they ended up on this ship, and there a hundred billion potential viewers within my organization alone. Then the movie rights! Pirates of the Outer Region - we could be making sequels, prequels, spinoffs, reboots and television series even after your grandchildren have grown old and died. There could be the flashy blockbusters that are 'based on a true story' and then innumerable specials showing 'what really happened.' You and your crew are literally the most valuable resource that you have, and are likely more valuable than anything you've ever stolen."

"Of course there will be some nominal fees for the use of our legal team and distribution service, but in exchange we can guarantee the profits of all of this will go to you and not be pirated away by idle teenagers. There is also the matter of certain, outstanding warrants. Given the circumstances, your relatively humane methods and a general history as an honorable thief as opposed to insane monster, I believe that such warrants can be dropped. You will be free men to live in the GCC, if you agree to provide security consultant services and training for my organization."

"So what say you, captain?"

Going to use +6 Negotiation for Laserbeard and company to 'go legit.' If they come and do training for us in anti-piracy tactics and agree to not cause any more trouble, they will have their records wiped clean in the GCC and will be allowed to register themselves in the copyright system and basically sell the movie rights/book rights/etc.

Tanash is also doing a bit of good cop/devil cop here to make it seem like he doesn't care if the Space Crue get killed in a rescue attempt because he has their souls, and this would only make them more famous/fulfill the contract he 'made' with them.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Primus
Above time and space

The thralls fell as supplicants before the WROTHFUL GAZE of Primus. Some might have called them primitive, needing uplift. Primus offered such claims naught but his rightful scorn. After all, was it not a banally obvious thing? ALL societies were barbaric primitives in need of uplift when compared to the glory of his chosen.

Indeed, his gaze falling upon their wretched selves to showcase them their place in the Galaxy was the best thing they could ever even hope for.

Thus did the reconquista continue its inexorable march.

Godly Action: Primus pushes on the Grand Armada once again, on the same route as always via means of War [+6] and Dominion [+4] to reclaim his lost territories, with Scouting Fleet at the helm.

The Varraxian Dominion
New Varraxia, Palatial District, Conference Hall of Deepest Thought,

Grand Imperator En'kee Atraxis of The Varraxian Dominion was not currently having the best of moods. Certainly, the exalted rites of The Dominion, steeped in history, had their place and were of great import. Certainly she herself was impeccably well versed in them, and would not show them disrespect. She would perform them as necessary, use them to further the agendas of The Dominion when she deemed them useful for such a thing, be it via viciously putting down opposition, or by using them to whip up jingoistic fervor.

That didn't mean she didn't find it just excessively droll having to sit in a Meeting of Prime Import for literal days, performing all kinds of pomp just to get to the point. She couldn't really help it. She had always been a Varraxian of action. Proactive, aggressive, and practical. She did not emerge the victor during the Times of Struggle for nothing. She was there stitching the rump remnant of The Dominion back together when Primus was absent. And though she seemed perfectly attentive, her thoughts were elsewhere. On how much happier she was when she was personally out there taking her opponents to the chopping block instead of being a glorified rubber stamp.

She shouldn't complain of course. Certainly things were looking far better now than they did back then, and she had in fact achieved a lot of what she set out to achieve: a Dominion once more unified, with her as the Grand Imperator.

Shouldn't she be happy?

........?

Right, it was time to make a proclamation.

"Thus it has been decided, as has been justly arbitrated upon by the Meeting of Prime Import", spoke the Grand Imperator as attendants ritualistically extinguished candles in a predetermined order to signify the ending of the meeting, "That the quarterly tithe of ships justly presented to us by the Galactic Corporate Conglomerate shall be chiefly used to further the capabilities of the war fleets in conjunction with a general increase in fleet refurbishment effort to be overseen by the Order Militant."

"For the diligence thus shown in properly arriving to the only conclusion which in light of the teaching of the Varraxian Dominion can be the right one, I thus most graciously call upon my Peers Inferior to accompany me to the traditional ritual of Lunar Observance so that we might reflect on the wisdom offered to us by our kin via means of communion. Do prepare your gifts, offerings, incences and chosen ancestral poem."

The Grand Imperator's mask hid her sigh.

At least the moon on New Varraxia was undoubtedly very pretty to look at.

Society Action: Fleet production GO! Precursor Knowledge +6 to make an escort ship at the shipyard I have to serve as a flagship for this fleet, but the bulk of the ships here will come from the GCC in the form of Shipbuilding [+4], with Venerable [+2] being used to go and impress some of our thralls to scrounge up a crew for them.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Anwé, the Near-and-Far
Speaking to Åton

A pause.

"Acceptable. Produce the fleet, provide the coordinates, and I will see them to their destination unobserved."

He clasps a pair of hands together.

"And in return, at some future time, I will call upon you for a Favor of... similar value, yes?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Åton to Anwé

<"Agreed. We will call upon you when they are ready."> The deal sealed, Åton left Anwé to his pursuits.

Done and agreed.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Tanash the Founder
Laserbeard's Flagship

The negotiations dragged on. Although there was a flicker of temptation at the prospect of an easy life, Tanash had underestimated just how much stock the captain and his flotilla put on absolute independence. It was a slow, grinding sort of negotiation against an opponent of skill that he wasn't expecting. Personally he was enjoying the challenge, but when he glanced over with his godly eyes he saw that Kamila was deep into her book, having lost interest in this proceeding altogether.

A frustrating thing, to simply pay them. Set a bad precedent. But there seemed to be no other option, perhaps he could finagle a "don't attack the GCC again" clause, but that wasn't satisfactory either. He turned away from the negotiation to think a moment. Relax, evaluate the deal in his head... when something occurred to him. There were a great many captured people who wanted to be free. The crew of the transport ship, assorted representatives and passengers, their pleas had called out to him, summoned him here. But now that he was looking... A small group of people weren't trying to negotiate a release at all. In fact, a very important small group were instead trying to negotiate for the pirates to give them back their instruments and equipment.

Were... were the Space Crue inspired all this?

He looked over the crew, who were watching with rapt attention. They were criminals, outlaws. They had killed people. But... they were an honorable sort. This particular pirate flotilla had not destroyed any GCC transports that he knew of, and typically did not kidnap the crew. They would destroy anyone who was resisting, but GCC policy on that was a stern "we have insurance, idiots" so that hadn't been a problem in decades. Destroying Security Service ships that were pursuing them wasn't great, but... he could work with this. They weren't a mindless band of rapists and murderers laying waste to all that they surveyed.

"You know what Captain, I think I just found a way for everyone to come out of this happy. Why don't we bring the Space Crue up here and ask them what they want to do. I have a hunch that in fact they are finding this all very good inspiration for their music, and would choose to go off on a little adventure with you and your people. Given your history and reputation as... reasonable men and women of a piratical persuasion I am inclined to allow that. In fact, I think I am inclined to do more than allow it. If it is their will to stay with you, to use the experience to produce music, then I am in fact inclined to help you."

He turns to look back out into space, making a dramatic sweep with his arm, "A band of space pirates, compelled to bring Rock and Roll throughout the galaxy while being pursued by the long arm of the law. The greatest music tour in history, spanning the width of the galaxy. All new hits by the universally famous Space Crue, featuring the dread pirate Laserbeard and the Starkist Flotilla. The perfect followup to the Concert Heard Round the Galaxy, something that will grip imaginations that could never have imagined the drama that would unfold. Live concerts, with running space battles overhead providing the lightshow and pyrotechnics."

"All staged of course. The task force currently chasing you is the one that provided security for the concert, and they are already well practiced in the art of faking a space battle. If you agree, I will also offer you a Comm-Link to provide communication with them and GCC space, to enhance the coordination and also provide you with an extra layer of security. If you ever find yourselves dealing with an actively hostile force, you can hit the panic button and the task force will drop out of hyperspace and help extricate you from the situation. The entertainment media of the GCC will also give this full coverage, I am sure. Broadcast it everywhere we have the capabilities too, and a few select public relations officials will put all their effort into spreading word. In short, I would give my boon to your venture."

Then he made a motion, summoning a contract that burned with dark red fire, as he turned his gaze back to Laserbeard.

"There will be conditions to this. This tour will not last forever, and you will make every effort to bring the Space Crue back unharmed. Moreover during the course of this venture you and your flotilla will behave. The band will also be given a fair share of the profits made from this venture. You will have distribution rights over the new music created during this venture, the GCC will be trailing along to sell the old records after you have made your pass through the system. Once the tour is complete the new music will then be distributed through the GCC network, but your organization will receive royalties on those sales pursuant to your ownership rights of the content. There will be other details that our respective legal teams can work out in specific once we sign the agreement in principle, however let me make one thing very clear..."

"We cooperate on this venture, you take your money and then you do not attack, halt, inhibit or otherwise inconvenience any GCC ship or endeavor. You will live like kings under your own flag, but you will not pull this or any similar actions against my organization again."

"Do we have a deal?"

+6 Negotiations to bless this new idea of cooperating with the pirates to make it even better and we'll all make money/contacts.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

The cynical pirate lord looked over the contract in great detail, zooming in on the small print, checking every clause and subclause. Finally, he nodded, no small amount of amusement in his tone.

"We have a deal. I hadn't considered they might come willingly. We get our money, they get something unprecedented, ye get yer peace."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Anwé, the Near-and-Far
The Forgotten Library

Back in the Forgotten Library, Anwé has begun an ambitious project; a more perfect spy. In a fresh tome, far thicker than the rest, the dark librarian begins to write. Describing with words and Power a creature beyond mortal understanding. Beyond third-dimensional understanding. A creature that exists not just in the dimensions of width, height, and length, but in a dimension at right angles to all those directions. Able to move and act in ways that, to limited perceptions, appear to be impossible. A truly capable spy.

Naturally it also has a good dose of secret-finding ability, tradecraft knowhow, and the means to manipulate shadow and darkness to its purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7K5KjOdLD8

Using Space [+6] and Secrets [+4] and Darkness [+2] to create a Fourth-Dimensional Spy. An Agent of Anwé that will occasionally provide Anwé/The Syndicate with information or secrets he/they might not otherwise know, or to destroy that information, based on either whatever the GM decides is appropriate or if it is sent for something specific.

I'll name it and give it a picture later, if this succeeds.

• Locked thread