Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Glazius posted:

When you cheatyscan, does it just outline the blocks or does it also color them according to how they break?

It just highlights them with a white glow until the pulse fades. To actually see what you need to do to break the block, you need to either hit it with a bomb or a missile.

Basically, it just points out that, "Hey, there's some kind of breakable block here," and leaves it up to you to figure out how to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

General Revil posted:

Watching you guys struggle to get to the last metroid was painful. Otherwise, pretty good episode.

It's not exactly my most shining example of player skill or awareness, for sure.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, but some brain dead moments are expected in a blind lp. Not like you can try multiple times and show us the good run.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

I don't know why they'd "keep" scans, those were in prime only. They've never been in a single 2D metroid. It doesn't really go well with 2D games either.

On another note, the tracks in this game are little "remixes" of the tracks in the original Metroid 2. If anything, they've added more music by making the 100% atmospheric tracks into hybrid atmospheric and musical, while all the musical tracks got a bit of atmospheric addons. That and some other things though, really make me feel more like this is a 2D primeish kind of game than a straight played "regular" Metroid game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

I don't know why they'd "keep" scans, those were in prime only. They've never been in a single 2D metroid. It doesn't really go well with 2D games either.

AM2R had a decent implementation of them: a few seconds after entering a new area or encountering a new boss, some hover text would appear saying that Samus had scanned the thing of interest, and if you paused while that text was up you could read the text. Otherwise it'd be accessible from a subset of the normal pause menu later.

But yeah, I don't really think stopping to scan every little thing would really work well in the 2D games.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

The soundtrack in this game is not my favorite, but I guess they were trying to stay true to the original game which mostly has ambient bleeps and bloops.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

:siren:Update:siren:

Episode 5: The Ultimate Problem

Apparently the drive I've been saving (but not writing) my files to is starting to tank, so tell me if there are any visual or audio errors that I might has missed.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Re: Arachnus, it felt easier the winning go because A) you were using the Power Beam instead of the Ice Beam, and B) you weren't face tanking every attack trying to parry him. There's definitely no dynamic difficulty modification going on.

I also was not expecting to run into him (I really should have after playing AM2R), and he stomped my rear end into the ground a good few times.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Arachnus was actually in the original Metroid 2. Which is why it was in AM2R.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you guys don't get 100%, I'm willing to take screenshots of those chozo memories off my game and post em. It's not too tough to do a couple of cleanup runs near endgame since you need to explore all the corners for metroids anyway, but if y'all don't wanna do it nothing ruins the fun of a game like doing a 100% you feel "obligated" to do.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 7, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

Yeah, Fusion was a callback to them having all those SR388 biological samples.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

From what I've played of the game, you really are supposed to master the melee counter and use it against anything that presents the opportunity. Granted, everything that has a counterable attack will telegraph it with that slow windup and the yellow "spark". AFAIK, Arachnos just doesn't have any counterable attacks.

Also, the melee counter enables one-shot kills with the Power Beam, so in the interest of saving time and missiles, you should be using it on most enemies after you counter them. There are circumstances where the Ice Beam is better (Metroids, those bug-like enemies that bomb you, any time you get the opportunity to shoot something before it charges you), but I keep the Power Beam equipped most of the time, personally.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Maple Leaf posted:

Episode 5: The Ultimate Problem

Apparently the drive I've been saving (but not writing) my files to is starting to tank, so tell me if there are any visual or audio errors that I might has missed.

Metroid 2 definitely does do that. The big open rooms and their respective obstacles and rewards are pretty much copied from the original game's layout. In general, a lot of the map is laid out like the original with only minor changes for the linearity or adding something new.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah, if you're using the melee counter there's basically no need to use the ice beam for anything except puzzles and metroids.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The melee counter mechanic is not doing it for me. I was hoping that it would be just one new trick among the other that Samus has. However, the game seems to be based around that mechanic. Enemies are harder to land a hit on than in other 2D Metroids and also take longer to kill than they should unless you first counter them.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Well, you can always substitute ice+missile combos. It's probably even faster than waiting for a melee counter.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
"I bet this game has anti-frustration measures where, if you lose to the boss enough times, they have less HP or something."

This is a remake of Metroid 2, aka "The Bullshit One." M:SR will never ever hold your hand or make it easy for you (countering normal enemies excepted).

I enjoyed the game a lot - certainly enough to go back through it trying for a faster ending (on Normal). It takes a LOT of speed to get through the entire thing fast enough for the fast ending screens, though, and I was still an hour into the medium-speed ending slot when I finished. There is definitely no time to go grabbing any expansions that aren't directly in your path if you want the speedrunner's ending, and there's no shame in taking 10 hours to complete it 100% the first time. I do wish they had included a second art gallery based on your ending % + speed + difficulty combination, since it doesn't feel like there's much point to doing all the different variations unless you really, really, REALLY like the gameplay loop.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

I know that, but I cited AM2R specifically because I played through it more recently than my last attempt at playing Metroid 2.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Crystalgate posted:

The melee counter mechanic is not doing it for me. I was hoping that it would be just one new trick among the other that Samus has. However, the game seems to be based around that mechanic. Enemies are harder to land a hit on than in other 2D Metroids and also take longer to kill than they should unless you first counter them.

Later in the game, they introduce more and more enemies that can't be countered and also your firepower starts reaching levels where enemies actually die with a couple shots, but it is definitely your crutch in these early parts. I don't know if that's good design or not but it really made me feel super powerful later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Later in the game, they introduce more and more enemies that can't be countered and also your firepower starts reaching levels where enemies actually die with a couple shots, but it is definitely your crutch in these early parts. I don't know if that's good design or not but it really made me feel super powerful later.

I think it was intentional to get you used to using it as a tool. Nothing better than than a game adds a new gimmick that you can do just fine without until endgame where you suddenly have to remember it exists for some boss.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
You can bomb Arachnus while he's rolling around, stopping his attacks and leaving him stunned for some free followup damage. I only had the idea to bomb him from it being a required part of the AM2R fight. Thanks, AM2R!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Missles and Power Beam do much more damage then Ice beam which is why you won there. The exception is Ice is better against Metroids.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I would have thought you could parry that boss's regular spinny charge. It looks like you just weren't fast enough most of the time, but maybe it was supposed to be impossible.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

The melee counter only does its thing with the click noise and the big white flash coming before the attack.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 6: I Like Game

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I had so much trouble with that first Gamma! I noticed earlier that the bosses do a lot of damage, but that was the first time one could actually hit me. They have a surprising amount of attacks and I ended up learning most of them by the time I was done with it. It probably didn't help that I didn't find out how useful the Ice Beam is until about attempt 3 here and spent a good chunk of the game being awful at aiming it.

I also didn't notice the giant beast in the background at all while playing this on a tiny 3DS screen. That's cool as heck.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
The visual design of this game is a mess. Maybe being at the controls eases this feeling, but Samus seems to disappear into the background because of how washed out her character is. This effect is even worse with additional tools and armors, where the visual field is flooded with particle effects and I what I feel is not awe at how far handhelds have come in terms of graphics and processing power, but confusion and annoyance.

2D Samus has not just a distinct palette compared to everything else around her, but a distinct silhouette as well. Show a clip of pretty much any of the old 2D Metroid games to a person otherwise not familiar with the series, and the action is instantly readable. Show a clip of this game to the same person and they'll be able to make a reasonable guess, sure, but too much of the visual design relies on fan knowledge of who Samus is and what she looks like.

But then I'm a cranky old lady who likes the sprite aesthetic who has a huge nostalgia boner for Super Metroid so maybe I'm biased.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Whatever they're doing, it works, because during gameplay i have not once ever lost track of Samus in peripheral vision, and my eyesight isn't really the best. And i can't even use 3D as a crutch because i can't see 3D.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

There's a very important distinction between being hot and being literally on fire.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

KieranWalker posted:

There's a very important distinction between being hot and being literally on fire.
For some real world comparison, let us consider an oven vs a blowtorch.

Under normal operations, a regular old kitchen oven will hit, what, 500 F? You can pop that open and wave your hand inside the hot air and be fine short term, just don't brush up against any solid parts. The thermal conductivity and capacity of dry air isn't that great. Certainly not a condition you want to stick around in for much longer, though.
If that oven has a high temperature self cleaning mode, that works by going up to 900 F / 500 C, which will reduce residue to ash. It should also lock itself because that aint something you want to gently caress with.

Now look at a blowtorch, say using regular old propane. That'll hit a flame temperature of... 3600 F / 1982.2 C. Oh my. That's exciting. That's very exciting.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

However the Varia suit also protects against damage from submersion in magma / lava and therefore isn't that bothered by the calories delivered or temperature as much as the in-engine nature of the attack.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No, it doesn't. At least not in this game but I can't remember a single metroid game where it did that. Usually the gravity suit will protect you from lava.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

But Gravity Suit doesn't fully protect you from fire, either, so it's just the exact same point but an upgrade later. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I thought that there was a point in Prime 1 where you could walk through the flamethrowers in Magmoor Caverns? Man, it's been years since I played that game.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
You said in the video that the Lightning Armor doesn't hurt enemies, but I think the description of it said that it did? Maybe I am misremembering, though. I haven't played this game. It looks good so far!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No, but it was trivial to freeze the flame throwers shut with a quick shot of the ice beam, without even stopping.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glaive17 posted:

You said in the video that the Lightning Armor doesn't hurt enemies, but I think the description of it said that it did? Maybe I am misremembering, though. I haven't played this game. It looks good so far!

I think if it damages them it's minimal (though it definitely staggers them). It enhances your punch though, giving it a bigger range and damage.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I think if it damages them it's minimal (though it definitely staggers them). It enhances your punch though, giving it a bigger range and damage.

I'm not sure the punch damages enemies at all, boosted or not! It's indirectly damaging because a successful parry overcharges your beam for a split second so you one-shot kill or freeze any basic enemy. Sometimes you can parry one enemy and one shot another if it wanders into your line of fire between the parry and the counter-shot, I think it's happened in the last video.

edit: I stand corrected!

Aithon fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 10, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm p. sure i used the punch to easily clear out the swarm enemies in this game, and you can't parry those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Parry punch kills the swarm enemies. Lighting Armor is very useful for that.

• Locked thread