Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Running through tutorial-land, the mechanics look just fine.

We'll see how they hold up once things start getting harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the aesthetic they've got going for missile and charge beam doors. They actually sat down and thought about how they might be structured differently.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think you needed some Smash Bros. games to make the case for Samus to be a brawly sort of character in 2D. Just the need to create those animations you might not think of when there's just shooting to consider.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
When you cheatyscan, does it just outline the blocks or does it also color them according to how they break?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I would have thought you could parry that boss's regular spinny charge. It looks like you just weren't fast enough most of the time, but maybe it was supposed to be impossible.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It seems a little weird to get both high jump and spider ball. I guess we'll be seeing slime walls all game long.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It almost feels like those gammas are more dangerous on the ground, between the lightning channel and the variable charge.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Purple is a pretty significant color for Metroid, come to think of it. Can't think of another game right now that it's so strongly associated with.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does this game do the Prime thing where after a certain amount of wandering your suit will go "plot advancement detected here"?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
They never use a Metroid hole to have the cunning little devils team up on you?

...well, I suppose trying to time parries with two things both trying to rush you is really just going to be an exercise in dying a whole lot.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like how the gammas are, like, baiting out your counterattack just by waiting long enough.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was a pretty nice chase sequence. It put surprises in without them necessary being "surprise, you're dead".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate that dumping your entire stock of Super Missiles into a boss actually makes a ridiculous dent in its health.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Gravity Suit, plasma beam, and the time slow thing. They're really gearing you up for something.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
For there being only like three different kinds of metroids they do make a pretty consistent yardstick for measuring yourself against.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I honestly don't know what to think about enemies that don't get weak points corresponding to your new arsenal. Sometimes it's enough that the new weapons just let you deal more damage or maneuver a little better? It's a hard call to make.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It kind of makes me wonder why you've even got those individual health numbers when everything significant you fight deals entire energy tanks at a time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the Power Bomb does something, given that you fought the first Omega before you got it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's an interesting study - as you get more and more powerups, how many of them should the navigation puzzles incorporate? Too many and it just gets too complicated, too few and it feels like you aren't using powerups anymore,

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I liked the cinematic nature of going in for those special kills, that was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'll keep saying it every time a Metroid game shows up - Fusion ended with Samus in a really weird and potentially fruitful place, plot-wise. Part-Metroid, hunted by the authorities... if there is some faction of possibly-rogue Chozo, wouldn't that be an interesting initial friendly face?

• Locked thread