Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok I got one objection: Your premise in the video seems to be something like "Nintendo shut down AM2R because they believed it to be too good/ they wanted to prove that we make the only good metroid" and just... no. There's no way that crossed anyone's minds who were involved with this. In fact I'm quite sure the developers of Samus Returns had absolutely nothing to do with it in the first place. It's a simple safe business move; take down the freely distributed copyright infringing product that could possibly negatively impact sales of their own, and also enforce their rights at the same time.

Still, I like listening to you guys' opinions about Metroid so I'm excited for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That can't be true either though, unless Mercury Steam were on a real slavedriver schedule. AM2R was released slightly more than a year before the release of Samus Returns. You don't just make video games in a year (before someone quotes Majora's Mask on this, yeah that was a tight schedule and with reusing every single asset they could get away with), especially ones like this where you need to create art assets and game engines from scratch. SR has to have been in development well into 2015, probably, and also probably got its inception with no outside input, besides Mercury Steam's that is. Unless I'm misremembering they had previously tried to pitch a Metroid game at Nintendo but they didn't take the bait back then. I think this must've been a dream project for MS.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Interesting that you two are already taking to the scan pulse and using it whenever. I avoided it like the plague and whenever I used it to reveal breakable blocks I felt terrible about revealing the map (and I kinda wish those two were separate functions entirely).

What's also interesting is that I've never felt averse to revealing the map in a Metroid game before. When I find a map station I'm perfectly content to use it and even feel that basic goodfeel you get when you find a thing in Metroid. Something about it being under your own control makes it bad for me. And I guess it does also reveal upgrade locations which is kind of a bummer to me. I'd like just the map.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Crystalgate posted:

The melee counter mechanic is not doing it for me. I was hoping that it would be just one new trick among the other that Samus has. However, the game seems to be based around that mechanic. Enemies are harder to land a hit on than in other 2D Metroids and also take longer to kill than they should unless you first counter them.

Later in the game, they introduce more and more enemies that can't be countered and also your firepower starts reaching levels where enemies actually die with a couple shots, but it is definitely your crutch in these early parts. I don't know if that's good design or not but it really made me feel super powerful later.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No, it doesn't. At least not in this game but I can't remember a single metroid game where it did that. Usually the gravity suit will protect you from lava.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lulti posted:

"This video is not available in your country"
Finland reporting with this oddity that I have not seen in long time.

*edit*
and it seems episodes 2, 7 and 9-13 have also dropped into same filter for whatever reason. Was able to watch them before.

Local performance rights organization Teosto has been loving around on youtube last night (try to watch any random music video and there's about a 90% chance it's blocked) so this is probably related to that. Hopefully it'll get itself resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I don't think I enjoyed it more than AM2R but I think it's a very competent game and I think its mere existence is honestly more important than anything else about it. It's a completely workable 2D metroid game after like 13 years of having none of those. I didn't do much of anything new or terribly exciting, but it's Metroid, it's fun, and it's a game that came out. That's much more than I thought I could ask for before e3 last year. Now if they do another game with the same team, that's when I'd expect the new and exciting part to come in.

• Locked thread