Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, but the fact that they are different executions of the same idea makes them very comparable. Its interesting to see what the two groups thought were important and what neat new ideas each brought to the table side by side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Is the 3D really such a widely used feature that that is actually the case? I thought the rationale behind using polygons is that they're easier to animate. Instead of having to redraw every frame of Samus' spin jump, they can instead just rotate the model. I don't know much about game development, but I feel like that might be a more compelling reason.

Easier for the artist, maybe. 2d is waaay easier coding side in my experience.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, but some brain dead moments are expected in a blind lp. Not like you can try multiple times and show us the good run.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Part of the big spaces staying big could be the scan pulse as well. They help make it so that a single pulse doesn't reveal a half a dozen upgrades at once so that they can be used sparingly the way yall are. Doesn't change the problem that the rooms are big and empty though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The thing that the pursuit bugs me the most with is it screws up the pacing on the fight. The whole fight grinds to a halt and then you wander around waiting for the bug to pop back out and let the fight go on. Just being able to chase it down with it still vulnerable would make the whole thing a lot less iffy simply by not stopping the fight.

The process is not helped by the triple bomb blocks making you stop and wait every time you enter and exit an arena looking for the bug. I hope those are to hide load times because they're arguably more obnoxious than the running away mechanic.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Well that was a cool fight. Probably helped by the fact that the metroids in this one look pretty sweet.

I think rather than turning it into an open world game, you could take metroid in a fun new direction by doing it ARPG style. If you ditched random loot nonsense for the metroid feel of unlocking new powers that give you access to new places it could be like Prime in that it would do new things for not just metroid, but the genre as a whole.

Or a spin off turn based game where you run a federation force squad exploring distress signals and uncharted worlds. Think of exploring the fog in the xcom series, except make exploring the terrain to unlock a way forward as the focus over the combat. Of course after Federation Force, maybe Olive Branch's big old squad of bounty hunters would work better.

Seriously though, that boss fight was great. Rolling between the legs as a dodge was such a good move for making the Omega feel huge and dangerous.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

Canonically, the Metroid series is boxed in by its plot. Fusion is the "last" game in that series and it ends with Samus being part Metroid and ruining the Galactic Federation's secret Metroid breeding program. Presumably, she's on the lam. If I were calling the shots, I'd use that as a jumping point for a more open world planet hopping game where you have to avoid the Federation. I'm thinking GTA meets Metroid.

Or just a game where you don't play as Samus. In fact a game that does not involve Samus at all. Make the series bigger than merely Samus if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They tried that, it was called Federation Force and it sucks. Really, there's not much to the setting besides Samus, Metroids, and the Chozo, and if you pull Samus then you're probably going to pull the Chozo too, leaving you with, what, a generic sci-fi setting?

The series has always been Samus-centric, and I don't see why it's necessary that that change. Would you ask for Tomb Raider without Lara Croft, or Devil May Cry without Dante?

Federation Force wasn't without Samus, it worshiped Samus and couldn't help but remind you that you weren't cool like Samus as often as possible.

There are plenty other cool things that could be explored in metroid. The Chozo existed without Samus for millenia, the federation, the luminoth, Space pirate culture, two complete sets of other bounty hunters, the list can go on and on.

Or you could just make up a new hunter/faction whole cloth. The only thing keeping metroid focused on Samus is that it chooses to be that way.

• Locked thread