Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

3D models also allow for a wider range of angles and activities than sprites do. The free aim in this game might be possible in a 2D game without looking like poo poo, but it would take a completely unnecessary amount of time and effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

From what I've played of the game, you really are supposed to master the melee counter and use it against anything that presents the opportunity. Granted, everything that has a counterable attack will telegraph it with that slow windup and the yellow "spark". AFAIK, Arachnos just doesn't have any counterable attacks.

Also, the melee counter enables one-shot kills with the Power Beam, so in the interest of saving time and missiles, you should be using it on most enemies after you counter them. There are circumstances where the Ice Beam is better (Metroids, those bug-like enemies that bomb you, any time you get the opportunity to shoot something before it charges you), but I keep the Power Beam equipped most of the time, personally.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC, in Metroid Prime you could kill Metroids with any weapon. Ice Beam was simply more effective. Power Bombs were a one-shot.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Either way, once you have the Plasma Beam (assuming it pierces enemies), the actual Screw Attack, or the Speed Booster, you probably wreck them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maple Leaf posted:

:siren:Update:siren:

Episode 10: You've Had Your Fun

I realized what I did wrong and why we got so stuck during editing.
We're both idiots and I'll get right back on track as soon as I clean up the mess I did at the end of the video.
I am so sorry. Feel free to point and laugh, we deserve it.
Before watching: This oughtta be fun. :allears:

After watching: Note that there is a map key in the Settings tab of the map screen (the "i"). And IIRC, the empty circles are used pretty much exclusively for Missile packs and maybe Energy Tanks (although I think they have their own icon); actual upgrades appear differently.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It seemed intuitive enough for me, at least.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

pointlessone posted:

You did way better on that chase sequence than I did. I took about 10-12 attempts on that last section because I was awful at swapping from weapon to grapple in that spike part. Welcome to the point where Samus starts to feel like like Samus. It only gets better from here!
You don't have to swap. In free aim mode, if Samus' cannon is pointed at a grapple point, the beam turns light blue and firing will activate the Grapple Beam. Missiles override that function, as we saw in an earlier video, but the Grapple Beam overrides any other beam in free aim. You almost never need to actually be set to the Grapple Beam.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, it's kind of poorly communicated in-game, but any time you're pressing R to free aim and not also set to missiles, the Grapple Beam overrides the beam you have equipped when targeting a grapple point. Including both the red and blue points, as well as the mining robot's eye-thing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You're probably thinking of the term "abandonware"; stuff so old nobody cares about it anymore, so it's effectively public domain.

Maridia is the name of an area in both Metroid/Zero Mission and Super Metroid, but I don't remember which one it is.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I figured they were probably right.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also, keep in mind that older editions of D&D gave out experience points commensurate with the GP value of earned treasure; a character from a Monty Hall campaign would end up not only with better gear and more robust finances, but also simply overleveled.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think they were talking about Gurdurr/Conkeldurr, actually, although I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

get that OUT of my face posted:

I forget which thread it was, possibly this one, but in Japan, Samus is supposed to be something that has no real equivalent in the West.
So she's supposed to be some sort of space-ronin or something?

• Locked thread