Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Explore elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I figured the "successful" path would get us arrested, but being freed through CIA intervention was a pleasant surprise.

achtungnight posted:

It would be appropriate if Ultima were our final ending.

Try out the Nursery Rhymes. But first, remind me why we were doing them again?

I think that was when the U-TY challenged us to do something they couldn't predict. We tried laughing before and that turned out pretty well for us.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Look, I'm not one to second-guess the superior aliens, but I don't see how a billion years of sleep is a cost-effective punishment. I mean, you've got expenses for power, storage, maintenance, depreciation -- and for what? It's not like the sleeper is going to feel the passage of time.

I bet Somo only lasts like an hour, and they just claim it was a billion years so you'll be impressed.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 79 posted:

You think for a moment and say,

Humpty-Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty-Dumpty had a great fall,
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

The U-TY glow more brightly for an instant.

WE KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU.

You feel like rushing at these cloud-like energy, and seizing them. As if to warn you that they known your thoughts, they rise like a shower of sparks, radiating such head and light that you reel back, throwing up your hands to shield you eyes.

Then you feel a mysterious force pulling you back, lifting your feet off the floor, as the voices call.

WE KNEW THAT YOU WOULD SAY THAT RHYME.
NOW WE SHALL GIVE YOU LOTS OF TIME.

ON TO SOMO YOU WILL GO
TO SLEEP A BILLION YEARS OR SO.

The End.

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Amnesia...but at least we got the Title Drop?
Let's run this poo poo into the ground!
A many-eyed, many legged spidery purple people eater
I SWEAR, ALIENS TOOK ME ON THEIR SHIP!
Taken to the lab, probe-ably not a good thing
Our own cuddly alien friend
Fake (out) news
Foiled by rednecks or something similarly lame
The most boring abduction ever
Taking a decade or three to become incredibly learned. Netflix and
Double paradox!
Sent the aliens packing and hung out with some stone heads
A football field sized crater
(De)waisted
:tif:
Left in a field by a lonely immortal
Eternity nap
Badass Mopo on the run
World Peace!
:rock IV gif:
Hard vacuum
Destroyed by laser beams for lying
Field trip to China
zzzzzzz....
Saved by the CIA and POTUS chief of staff
Do the rhyme, do the time

Choices
Explore elsewhere
'I don't want to risk being sent to Somo'
Look for another way to escape

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
No somo, no somo, YER THE SOMO

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
No Risk Somo

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
It's not Somo is the energy balls don't touch

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

quote:

Humpty-Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty-Dumpty had a great fall,
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

quote:

WE KNEW THAT YOU WOULD SAY THAT RHYME.
NOW WE SHALL GIVE YOU LOTS OF TIME.

ON TO SOMO YOU WILL GO
TO SLEEP A BILLION YEARS OR SO.

It's like the lamest, whitest rap battle in history.

I don't wanna be buried in a Pet SOMOtery.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I've seen lamer Rap Battles on YouTube. :(

Don't risk Somo. It's lame!

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
We've been to Somo enough lately. I don't wanna go back there.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Question: Are there hints in the book towards finding the secret ending, or is it really just 'you can only find it by looking through the pages, no clues'? Because I keep looking for some sort of clues in the passages but haven't seen anything yet (other than "54-40" making me think we should be checking page 14 or page 94).

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 49 posted:

You tell Bru that you don't want to try to escape right now. He seem disappointed, and floats away without saying anything. He returns a few hours later. There is a sad look in his eyes.

'Will there be another chance for escape?' you ask.

'It's too late,' Bru says. 'We've left Earth's orbit, and even the solar system. We're bound for Galaxy 32.9, Planet 6.3, star 149, Omega Cluster.'

Turning toward the great window, you gaze through your tears into endless black space. You realize that you will never see home again.

The End

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Fake (out) news
Double paradox!
(De)waisted
Eternity nap
Badass Mopo on the run
World Peace!
Hard vacuum
Field trip to China
zzzzzzz....
Home away (forever) from home

Choices
Look for another way to escape

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Take the last remaining choice, I guess.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 65 posted:

'I see what you mean,' you say. I don't think I could keep from thinking about how I want to escape.'

You leave Qally and continue to explore the ship, which seems to contains hundreds of chambers and passageways. Each day you explore a different part of the ship, but you can never be sure where you have been before. It is like wandering through a maze where someone is always changing the pattern - sealing some passageways and opening others.

You decide that it would be safer not to confront the U-TY. If you cooperate with them, maybe they will not send you away to Somo. So, in the weeks ahead, you spend your time looking at some of the videotapes, holograms, and artifacts available to the captives. You find that the U-TY have been observing life on Earth for almost 1400 years. In their records are answers to mysteries of the universe not yet solved by Earth people.

One day you find your way into a large chamber with smooth, curving walls. Suspended int he air are three pale violet shapes. Flickering lines of bright red play about them like tiny flashes of lightning. For a moment you think you hear them speaking to you.

Go on to page 66.

Page 66 posted:

WE HAVE BEEN WATCHING YOU. YOU HAVE A STRONG SPIRIT WITHIN YOU - SO STRONG THAT YOU ARE DANGEROUS. THIS IS THE LAW. THOSE WHO OBEY THE U-TY WILL BE KEPT IN THE IMPERIAL ZOO ON THE PLANET RA. THOSE WHO RESIST THE U-TY WILL BE SENT TO SOMO AND PUT TO SLEEP FOR A BILLIONS YEARS. WHAT IS YOUR CHOICE?

You try to think of some logical reply that will keep you from being placed in Somo or the zoo.

If you say, 'It is not fair or just to take me from my home or friends, so please return me to Earth,' turn to page 93.
If you say, 'I will not obey you, neither will I resist you. Therefore there is no reason to send me to Somo or the zoo,' turn to page 118.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 17, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Im not here to obey. I’m not here to resist. I’m just here!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I'm a little nervous considering what happened the last three times we saw a paradox, but sure, neither obey nor resist.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blow up their minds again with a paradox.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

I will obsist you!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Can anyone ever be said to be, like really doing anything, man? Like, what's a resistance. What's obeying a thing, man. I don't do neither. I just commune with reality, man

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

On a journey, Master Ratatozsk encountered three monks. They said to him: "If you obey us, we will imprison you. If you resist us, we will kill you. How will you choose?"

Saying nothing, Master Ratatozsk spread his robe on the ground and sat in meditation.

In that moment the monks were enlightened.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

CaptainCaveman posted:

Question: Are there hints in the book towards finding the secret ending, or is it really just 'you can only find it by looking through the pages, no clues'? Because I keep looking for some sort of clues in the passages but haven't seen anything yet (other than "54-40" making me think we should be checking page 14 or page 94).

Follow the advice at the beginning of the book.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

CaptainCaveman posted:

The book has explicitly told us several times that it doesn't exist as a choice of page turns. Therefore the logical solution is to map out where we've been and flip to the unused page(s)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Andyzero posted:

Follow the advice at the beginning of the book.

FoolyCharged posted:

The book has explicitly told us several times that it doesn't exist as a choice of page turns. Therefore the logical solution is to map out where we've been and flip to the unused page(s)

quote:

Special Warning!!!!
While you are on board UFO 54-40, you may hear about Ultima, the planet of paradise, and you may wonder if one of your adventures will lead you there. Sad to say, many never reach Ultima, because no one can get there by making choices or following instructions! There is a way to reach Ultima. Maybe you'll find it.

Yeah, to me that leaves open as to if there are clues or not, but I suppose we should have seen some by now if there were any.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 93 posted:

The moment you ask to be returned home, you hear these words in your brain:

YOU ASK US TO BE KIND, BUT KINDNESS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A U-TY...

The U-TY reply chills you to the bone. But you have little time to think about it. The glowing U-TY forms blend into a yellowish mist that slowly darkens into blackness, and you can no longer see, hear, touch, or smell. The darkness of and the air of the chamber thicken and close in, and you know nothing but the hope that your life may begin again...in a billion years.

The End

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 118 posted:

The shapes float toward you, and, before you can retreat a single step, you feel the strange, tingling sensation of their electronic touch.

YOUR LOGIC IS TRUE
YOU ARE NOT MEANT
FOR SOMO OR THE ZOO.

With these words the shapes fade into a thin yellow mist that arises about them. You feel tired, but, instead of falling asleep, you rise to another level of wakefulness, so that now, somehow, you find yourself right where you are this minute - reading a book!

The End

Tally Sheet posted:

Endings
Fake (out) news
Double paradox!
(De)waisted
Eternity nap
Badass Mopo on the run
World Peace!
Hard vacuum
Field trip to China
zzzzzzz....
Home away (forever) from home
What's another billion at this point?
The only winning move is not to play

So, although this may seem as though this last ending was one reached by not making choices or following instructions, this is not the ULTIMAte ending. Above, you can count 29 conclusions that we have reached so far. We'll hit the final one later tonight or tomorrow. See U there...

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Oh, Ultima was here in the junk drawer the whole time! It's always the last place you look. :doh:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’m sure Lord British knows how to reach Ultima. Unless I’m thinking about the wrong Ultima. Let’s give the U-TY directions to his house.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

This would work best with a physical book where the reader would periodically be called upon to thumb past 102/3 and might eventually have their interest piqued. However, electronic navigation does allow us to confirm more easily that no page in the book actually refers you here.

That aside, enjoy.

Page 101 posted:

You did not make a choice, or follow any direction, but now, somehow, you are descending from space - approaching a great, glistening sphere. It is Ultima - the planet of paradise. As you ship slowly and gently descends, you look down on a meadow filled with flowers. Beyond them white-capped mountains tower above hills of golden green and smoky blue. Before you lies a crystal city, adorned by sparkling lakes and flowering trees.

Your ship glides to a landing, and a portal slides open. The air smells as fresh and cool as a pine forest. Music fills you ears. Hundreds of people are waiting to greet you - the most beautiful and friendly people you have ever seen. Their skin is dark olive and their large eyes are as green as spring grass. Children run forward. They hand you garlands of flowers. A man and a woman, each wearing golden wreaths in their hair, walk toward you, their arms outstretched.

'Welcome to Ultima,' says the woman. 'My name is Elinka.'

'Welcome!' says the man. 'My name is Arkam. You have reached the planet of joy and beauty. All our treasures are yours to share with us. All of us here are your friends forever.'

Turn to page 102, then 103, then 104.

Pages 102, 103 posted:

Page 104 posted:

Taking your hand, Elinka says, 'But no land can be paradise if you can never leave it. So you shall always be able to return home whenever you wish - in a flash of time.'

'Thank you, thank you,' you exclaim. 'I never dreamed I would ever find a place like this, or even that it could exist!'

'As you can see, there is such a place after all,' says Arkam, 'though very frew from Earth's universe ever reach it.'

'No one can choose to visit Ultima,' says Elinka. 'Nor can you get here by following directions. It was a miracle you got here, but that is perfectly logical, because Ultima is a miracle itself.'

The End

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, that was cool. I still say we direct the U-TY to abduct Lord British because his Ultima games frustrated me a lot back when I played them in my youth. But the book's version of Ultima is also pretty cool.

Looking forward to your next project, Ratatozsk, whatever it may be.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Holy forking shirtballs, we made it to the good place.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Yay, we did it, I guess.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Meh, pretty weak book overall.

Some interesting wild ideas there though.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
My favorite responses to "lol Ultima"

https://io9.gizmodo.com/remember-inside-ufo-54-40-the-unwinnable-choose-your-o-1552187271

"Because there was no way to reach Ultima. It's there in the book. It's on page 101. But no choices will get you there. You can only reach it by thumbing through the book and finding it. It even acknowledges that you had to cheat to get there.
Which means that even if you do find it, it's still frustrating. That's a whole lot of ambivalence and ambiguity to lay on an 8-year-old. I can only win by cheating? There are no correct answers in life? Or is it some kind of Zen koan about achieving happiness? I spent a couple sleepless nights staring at the ceiling trying to understand what UFO 54-40 was telling me."

http://www.cracked.com/article_22188_7-choose-your-own-adventure-books-clearly-conceived-lsd.html

"So there you go, kids: If you want to truly win in life, you have to ignore all the rules and cheat your way to victory. Then attribute your success to a higher power! Seems to work for the Patriots."

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

So, that's it's for UFO 54-40. Since we explored every possible page of this book, there isn't really anything left for the wrap up. Timing of the next project is up in the air - while I'd like to knock out Way of the Tiger I have a few other things which might make free time a bit less convenient to come by so I may have another one-off to bridge to that. I'll keep this thread open to drop a link to that when it comes for anyone still following. Thanks for sticking around to experience one of the most unique CYOA conclusions out there!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
That was weird as all hell, but a lot of fun. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Y'know what? Screw busy schedules. Way of the Tiger is up and running.

• Locked thread