Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

This book is self evidently bad, but it's better than the thread making fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So wait, there's only one bathroom, and it's on the complete opposite end from the command room? What chafk-of-a-chybut vutz designed this thing?

edit: I just remembered you have the glossary of Furlite insults. What did I just call the designer? I'm dying to know.

quote:

OATHS, EPITHETS & OTHER FURLITIAN TERMINOLOGY

Chafk = poo poo.
Chafkhead = shithead.
Chava = vagina.
Chybut = testicle.
Chybutz = testicles.
Krufk = crap.
Lortz = screw (intercourse).
Sif = pee.
Sifz = piss.
Sifzer = pisser.
Vachok = archaic vile oath, meaning sub-Furlitian throwback, once used as a name for   half-breed slaves.
Vutz = gently caress.
Pillisk = a table game resembling Billiards. 

You called him a "poo poo-of-a-ball gently caress."

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

A human heart posted:

This book is self evidently bad, but it's better than the thread making fun of it.

Yeah, no. From what I have seen, no real editor would have passed it on in it's current condition, so it has to be basically a vanity press production. As soon as you go that route, you deserve what's coming your way.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, no. From what I have seen, no real editor would have passed it on in it's current condition, so it has to be basically a vanity press production. As soon as you go that route, you deserve what's coming your way.
A human heart posted earlier about wanting to see the "drunken James Joyce" mentioned in the OP, so I'm pretty sure the complaint isn't that the thread is making fun of a book but that it's doing a poor job. That may be a fair point - I'll admit that I've followed better mock threads - but it's not one that I can entirely agree with, if only because of the post right above yours.

And yes, this book is vanity-published, as are the others in Marie J. S. Phillips's oeuvre.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 27, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A human heart posted earlier about wanting to see the "drunken James Joyce" mentioned in the OP, so I'm pretty sure the complaint isn't that the thread is making fun of a book but that it's doing a poor job. That may be a fair point - I'll admit that I've followed better mock threads - but it's not one that I can entirely agree with, if only because of the post right above yours.

And yes, this book is vanity-published, as are the others in Marie J. S. Phillips's oeuvre.

I'm waiting to get to the sex scenes. Apparently the spin-off book with Kutius gets to it a lot faster and has like, three of them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Murkuria nibbled at the delicious frozen snack in her hand, careful not to drip any on the cushion. Tonight, her favorite treat did not taste the same. Around her, lounging in the Common Room, her family talked, with intermittent attention to the sports program on the big screen. The past seven days had flown by like frightened Matissias. The dreaded day arrived tomorrow. When the Starship, its crew, and their mission made the news days ago, she relished the attention. Congratulations and questions engulfed their octiens[10] at school. To add to that, Kutius’ absence satisfied her sense of justice, though she doubted the bully’s mother’s claim that she belonged to the notorious extinct Clan Koris. All the attention, and Kutius’ expulsion, filled her with joy, but now it meant nothing. The ones she loved most departed tomorrow, leaving forever in her mind.

Thorius sat beside his sister, popping the last of his snack into his mouth. It tasted bland, lacking its normal savory flavor. He desired no more. He, like Murkuria, enjoyed the publicity and the awed reaction of their schoolmates the past six days, but now he sat, depressed.

quote:

[10]  An Octien is one Aroriellian hour comprised of four quats = 4.2 Earth hours.

The kids now find the attention for their clan's fame meaningless if they can't go on the trip. Also I want to point out that the ice cream is called "freezeball", possibly a predecessor to the shartball.

Across the room, Nethunia is trying to calm down Geupetus. She reminisces on how they first met:

quote:

Her first day of Fundamental School seared up from deep in memory. At eight years old, the world sparkled new and exciting to her eyes, if not a bit scary. On the playground, she accidentally bumped hard into him. She vividly recalled her terror as this huge boy spun around, a wrestling challenge in his throat. She locked eyes with him, losing herself in that sea of purple. He lowered his hands and beamed a smile at her. She discovered they lived within easy walking distance of each other, to the dismay of her family. She lingered on the old memories a moment, as emotions rippled through her, forcing images into crystal clarity.

Two years previous to her entering school, someone thrashed her older brother, Cerus, in a schoolyard fight, spawning a raging feud between the two Clans. She disliked her brother’s adversary, despite not knowing who almost killed Cerus. Upon bonding, she found out her new bondpartner to be Cerus’ assailant, but her anger lasted only moments. Their friendship blossomed strong and powerful. The new bond doused the smoldering anger between the Clans, and the feud fizzled out.

“Krufk,” Nethunia swore softly, “why am I even thinking about this?”

“What?” Geupetus queried, concern in his eyes.

“Nothing really, just old memories,” she answered, debating whether to lie to him or not.

“Which?”

“The old Clan feud,” Nethunia uttered the truth, and stood up.

“Why?” Alarm lit Geupetus’ purple eyes. He flexed his hands, and his tail twitched.

“I have no idea. Do not be concerned.” Nethunia put aside her musings. She left Geupetus’ side, aware of his sudden confusion and hurt. She regretted mentioning it at all, as she walked over to her twin children.

“Your cousins will be here soon. You should tidy up,” she coaxed softly. Both children obeyed without a word, only the nods of their heads indicating any response. As they left, she returned to Geupetus’ side. His fur bristled, and his regrets fired along her empathic senses.

“Forget I ever mentioned that horrible time, please,” she whispered.

“If your brother died that day because of me, your Clan would have invoked the Termination Tradition, and forced my Clan to eliminate me. To this day, that shames me.”

“He did not die, and it is long over. Forget it.” Nethunia embraced him, radiating reassurances, stroking his back until he stopped trembling.

Furlite society is unbelievably violent. They may claim to have bred murdering genes out of society by executing murderers immediately, but it seems like just about every fight (even between 12-year-olds!) involves people nearly being slashed to death. How do they even get to the point of building starships when accidentally bumping into another mechanic may end in a grudge match on the scaffolding?

Elara, meanwhile, is still angsting about Tes and whether or not he still thinks of her after THE MYSTERIOUS TRAUMATIC INCIDENT OF SIX YEARS AGO. Nethunia interrupts her emo moment and reminds her that guests are arriving soon, so she stops "sun-dreaming" and goes to get snacks. There's a mention as Elara grabs the tray of food from her grandfather that Orios is a former farmer and still grows produce at home for the family.

quote:

“Ah, Bondfather! As usual, these look and smell delicious.” Nethunia took the tray. “Everyone should enjoy this Gathering!”

“My family is coming all the way from Alceru. They are actually leaving the farm overnight. I cannot recall the last time that occurred.”  

“This is a big occasion,” Nethunia chuckled softly. “You are, after all, the first of them in the Fleet.”  

“Yes, I am, but probably not the last,” Orios chuckled.

“Geupetus? Are Veria’s relations coming tonight?” Nethunia called out.

“Not that I am aware of.” Geupetus shook his head, rising from the lounge. “Cousin Osus said Veria is depressed over this. It has been far too long since her Clan has joined any of our Gatherings.”

“Too bad,” Orios murmured. “Veria’s brothers are a lot of fun, and with them on our roster, she will not see them again for twenty-odd years.”

“That is the way of spacefaring Clans. Even though this mission is the longest in our history, we still should all have the discipline to deal with it,” Nethunia admonished, eyeing both Geupetus and Elara. She sensed no more emotional upset in either. “Let us stay cheerful tonight.”

The 12-year-olds are brushing their fur in preparation for the family visit. They remove the clumps of fur from their brushes and drop it in a high pile in a basket.

quote:

“The fur collector was due tomorrow,” he muttered. “What will be made from this load?”

“Probably cushion cloth, or rug fiber, backsack material, or maybe even cot cushions for ship cabins,” Murkuria answered from across the room. “What do they do aboard ships on long missions? Does the hair pile to the ceilings? There are no fur collectors out there.”

“Perhaps they have ways of spinning and weaving it themselves.” Thorius sighed deeply. He ran his brush through his coat, taking some comfort in the feel, but his depression refused to ease. “What does it matter? It will be octades[11] before we ever know.”

quote:

[11]  Octade = An Aroriellian decade, made up of eight Aroriellian years, is approximately 13.6 Earth years.

One thing that I can't get unstuck from my craw is that they keep using "oct-" prefixes for everything because of their base 8 number system. The problem is that as far as I know, they're not speaking English! Unless the Furlites have a stranger origin than I thought, the author is translating alien words into equivalent English terms that aren't actually real words anyways.

Murkuria and Thorius brush each other's backs, and she notices that Thorius has gotten lazy and left huge clumps of knotted hair unbrushed. They play with Iggie and brush her fur, but sudden laughter and talking from another room alerts them to the fact that their guests have arrived and they rush out to join the party. Even their Ancientparents, Caltra and Iseus, are here; the two are over 145 years old, as Furlites are longer lived than humans.

The kids quickly meet their teenage cousins, Ceria and Elia (identical white-furred twins), who they're going to be living with while their family is in space. They bond over their shared interest in the video game Star Warrior, but the family surrounds them before they can get to the console. Uncle Cerus grabs Thorius in a big, somewhat unwelcome hug.

quote:

“Greetings, my Nephew!” Cerus pulled back, but did not let go. “I hear you are doing excellent in school, and on the Shartball field.”

“Yes,” Thorius nodded.

Beside him, Murkuria grunted in the tight embrace of her Aunt Eselia, who laughed in delight. So jovial and fun to be with, her aunt and uncle livened up any party. She anticipated a great Gathering. As if on cue, a large circle of Furlites formed around them. Someone demanded Cerus tell a story. He obliged, and the twins sat beside their aunt and uncle, with their cousins, to listen to Cerus’ outrageous yarns. Their maternal grandmother, Anuria, added her own bits, quips, and remarks, and the bantering added to the telling. Enlia, their paternal greatmother, added stories of her own, involving her job as an Law Officer. The twins laughed with everyone else, their depression momentarily and thoroughly forgotten.

Geupetus watches the circle from the other side of the room, happy to see that his kids are cheered up. He takes note of the scar over Cerus' eye, the one he left in that schoolyard fight years ago, and realizes that he never really asked Cerus about his feelings on their former feud.

He talks to his Aunt Suria and his mother, Isea, about Suria wanting to pick Uncle Elarus to replace the incompetent Kintus as her Second for her ship.

quote:

A loud bellow stunned him to silence. Geupetus’ eyes roved the room, then settled on his grandfather, Callistus, a giant of a Furlite. Geupetus glanced down at his own huge powerful body, aware that Callistus bequeathed this trait to him. Callistus raised a glass.

I can definitely say that when I see how large my grandfather is, I immediately look at my rippling muscles and think about how his genes gave me strength. That's a normal thing to do.

quote:

Across the room, the twins battled Elia and Ceria in Star Warrior, oblivious to their greatparent’s bellow and the resultant cheers. All anger and depression gone, they concentrated on the game, surrounded by a ring of youngsters.

“Oh, no!” Murkuria yelped. “I lost my mother ship! Thorius! Help me!”

“Blast it all! I can’t!” Thorius muttered. “I have only two fighters left. Krufk, how did you two get so good?”

“Gotchya!” Elia whooped, her shots eliminating Thorius’ ships. “We win!”

She laughed. “You said can’t, like a baby.” Elia and Ceria both giggled, and teased. “Baby, little baby.”

“Talks like a baby,” echoed Thorius’ cousin, Treya, who laughed uncontrollably, her gold-furred torso quivering with mirth.

“Krufk! Who cares?” Thorius whirled on his cousins. Treya silenced, brows raised above shocked teal eyes. Thorius faced Elia and Ceria. “A rematch!”

“Sure!” Elia agreed. Suddenly, the call buzzer rang.

“Who could that be?” Thorius grumbled. “Everyone is here.”

Murkuria tapped the winking lavender answer pad. The main screen above the game flickered and cleared. Murkuria growled inarticulately, removing her gaming headset. Behind Murkuria, young Tria uttered a gasp.

“Evening, Muuurrrkurrria,” Kutius drawled. His eyes shifted. “Thorius. So, I see you are having a party. And the little moron is there, too. How nice.”

“I’m not a moron!” Tria protested with a sob. “What do you want, Dokit turd?” Murkuria curled back her lip, revealing sharp eyeteeth.

“Oh, just to tell you that I will be back at school.” Kutius smirked.

“How?” Murkuria snapped. “They suspended you for good!”

“My grandmother intervened,” Kutius sneered. Murkuria wanted to rip out his white-blue eyes. “She had me reinstated. Such a nice-looking Gathering. To celebrate the new ship. Awwww, how nice, and you two cannot go along! Hahaha! How saaad.”

“Dokit krufk! Sif brain! Vachok!” Murkuria shrieked, anger and depression engulfing her. She leaped for the screen, hands flexed, fingers spread, claws ready. The gaming sensors on her fingers flashed in the light from both screens. Four sets of hands hauled her backward, stopping her from demolishing the innocent monitor.

He has to be back! How else will he have his graphic sex scenes in the spin-off novel? Also, you may find some of this familiar if you first heard about this book in the excerpts in the PYF Terrible Novels thread. The spin-off pretty much directly repeats at least part of this scene, and possibly others.

Kutius hangs up, and Murkuria starts crying.

quote:

“He is not worth it,” Elia added. “He sifzes on everything like an untrained Monius kit, the vachok.”

Calling someone a vachok is actually seeming a bit terrible to me, looking back at the appendix describing it as an archaic term for half-breed slave labor. It almost feels like the equivalent of Furlites casually dropping N-bombs all over the place.

quote:

“They are leaving tomorrow, and it may as well be forever.” Murkuria exhaled in sobs. “Living with Elia and Ceria will be fun, but what will happen after the lights go out at night? I will miss Mother and Father. Uncle Cerus is strong, and Aunt Eselia is kind, but it is not the same.”

“I know. We both will miss Elara, too, and Aunt Ara. Who else will help us keep sharp on the Shartball field?” Thorius mumbled. “Who will share my love of Engineering and help me in school with it? Who will replace our grandparent’s support and vast space experience? Nobody.”

“Who will comfort us like Mother can?” Murkuria wept, tears darkening her facial fur. “Without Grandfather, who will garden with me? I can’t tend that big garden alone. It will fail, and my beautiful Squet trees! I do not know if I can tend them without him! What if I kill them?”

“I never realized before now just how important they are. Twenty-five years is so long. They will miss everything we do. Winning the Shartball World Title without them means so little.” Thorius choked out the words as the lump in his throat swelled.

“I will miss them so much.” Tears shimmered Murkuria’s eyes, spilling into her fur, dripping from her chin into her lap. The lump in Thorius’ throat throttled him. He broke eye contact and stared morosely at the rug.

The beautiful Squet trees framing the Shartball.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Pillisk = a table game resembling Billiards.
Gotta be the harshest curse of them all.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A fair enough point. I will give you that uncontested.

And my snark about vanity publishing and deserved misfortune is largely that, once you shopped your magnum opus around and no one wants it, getting vanity published is the author saying "Hey, I know better than THESE people!". That puts you on the schadenfreude priority list.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I wonder how much money Marie gets from each Amazon sale.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Also, if a freezeball is related to Shartball, not thinking I would want to lick it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

chitoryu12 posted:

One thing that I can't get unstuck from my craw is that they keep using "oct-" prefixes for everything because of their base 8 number system. The problem is that as far as I know, they're not speaking English! Unless the Furlites have a stranger origin than I thought, the author is translating alien words into equivalent English terms that aren't actually real words anyways.
It's even dumber than that, because every single unit has the same prefix. Octlo. Octa. Octafet. Octien. So it's completely meaningless as a prefix! It's like if the metric system's units of distance were decameter, decapeter, decabeater...

On the topic of "translating alien words into equivalent English tems that aren't actually real words anyways" (give me a second to catch my breath), I really love "chafkhead". Either "chafk" doesn't actually mean "poo poo" and instead stands for some concept beyond the limits of English, or the Furlites' word for head is literally just "head".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's even dumber than that, because every single unit has the same prefix. Octlo. Octa. Octafet. Octien. So it's completely meaningless as a prefix! It's like if the metric system's units of distance were decameter, decapeter, decabeater...

On the topic of "translating alien words into equivalent English tems that aren't actually real words anyways" (give me a second to catch my breath), I really love "chafkhead". Either "chafk" doesn't actually mean "poo poo" and instead stands for some concept beyond the limits of English, or the Furlites' word for head is literally just "head".

The whole Oct- thing is why I asked if they had 4 fingers way way back near the start of the thread.

Still trying to work out the three testes though,

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.

Samizdata posted:

Still trying to work out the three testes though,

:eng101: Well you see, unlike the other two, the third testicle produces sperm during sex.

Hope that answers your question without raising any others!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheSmilingJackal posted:

:eng101: Well you see, unlike the other two, the third testicle produces sperm during sex.

Hope that answers your question without raising any others!

Yeah, no. So two of them are stealthed decoy testes?

Bilateral symmetry would argue against that!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Samizdata posted:

The whole Oct- thing is why I asked if they had 4 fingers way way back near the start of the thread.

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, no. So two of them are stealthed decoy testes?

Bilateral symmetry would argue against that!
It actually wouldn't at all, but I should clarify that only Kutius has only one functional chybut, for reasons that might be spoilers if I mention them (although they're basically covered in what I quoted for PYF).

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 28, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It actually wouldn't at all, but I should clarify that only Kutius has only one functional chybut, for reasons that might be spoilers if I mention them (although they're basically covered in what I quoted for PYF).

Well, pretty much all the existing cases we have to work on with existing creatures shows bilateral symmetry in their junk too, barring injury or deformity.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
1. As long as the third chybut is centered between the other two, they're bilaterally symmetrical. A functioning chybut between two dummies would be even more so.

2. They're aliens.

3. This is the least entertaining thing possible to mock the book for or care about at all, you dork. And you wonder why A human heart hates this thread.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

1. As long as the third chybut is centered between the other two, they're bilaterally symmetrical. A functioning chybut between two dummies would be even more so.

2. They're aliens.

3. This is the least entertaining thing possible to mock the book for or care about at all, you dork.

Dunno. Was just reminding myself of all the thought I used to put into world building back before my nigh-permanent case of writer's block. And, yeah, aliens are alien, except in this book.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

chitoryu12 posted:

“I never realized before now just how important they are. Twenty-five years is so long. They will miss everything we do. Winning the Shartball World Title without them means so little.”
This line hasn't gotten enough love. I want it framed on my wall.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I appreciate your word choice in this context.

I'm finding that like most awful fiction I get frustrated because there are ideas that could be legitimately interesting. The experience of being a teen and learning your parents and extended family are leaving for an interstellar mission that will leave you older than them upon their return could be some legitimately interesting drama. How does a society handle teens navigating adulthood when their closest influences are gone? Is that why social interaction gets violent and murderers are executed to try and dissuade it? Do the lead characters begin to question or try to change that?

But NOPE, there's more care put into a base 8 measurement system and biological reproduction. Anything that could get the reader to empathize is described, as MST3K once put it, "like a voiceover for a [1950s] coffee commercial." For peoples' focus on the weird sex scenes I think it's in part because everything else is so bland or impenetrable it's the only thing a reader can remotely relate to, and even then we're just stunned going why THIS, Marie? Why this?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

This line hasn't gotten enough love. I want it framed on my wall.

Knock yourself out.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I appreciate your word choice in this context.

I'm finding that like most awful fiction I get frustrated because there are ideas that could be legitimately interesting.

The thing about "half breed slaves" is another interesting concept. Is it ever mentioned outside the insult glossary? (I'm guessing not.)

Also, I know the furlites are meant to look cute and sort of menacing-- like a combination of big cats and feathered T. rexes-- but boy are their faces ugly. They all seem to have the same unchanging uncanny valley rictus, too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The World of the Furlites

We get into our units of measurement here! But first, the weird way Furlites read clocks:

I just can't wrap my head around this. You say "twenty-four" out loud by write 30 because it's in base 8? How does changing to a base 8 numerical system cause a number to change to a different one when spoken vs. when written?

quote:

TIME DELINEATIONS

Quat: a quarter of an octien; 16 Aroriellian minutes; equivalent to 1.05 Earth hours.

Octien: an Aroriellian hour. An octien is composed of four quats; equivalent to 4.2 Earth hours.

Aroriellian day: 8 Aroriellian octiens (hours). Unlike our clock, the hand of the Aroriellian clock only makes one revolution per day. The Furlitian clock starts at 1, or the first hour, meaning that 1 o’clock is the beginning of the first hour of the day. Thus, instead of 1:00 meaning the end of the first hour, it means the beginning of the first hour, and is written 00:01. An example: 15:01 means 15 minutes into the first hour. Each dot on the clock measures an 8 minute interval, and each larger dot marks a quat, or 16 minute interval.

Quinth: 4 Aroriellian days. A fifth of a cinth. Last quinth in every cinth is 3 days, and is comparable to our weekend, as it is time off from school and work for most. Equivalent to 5.6 Earth days.

Cinth: 19 days; 5 quinths; originally based on the 16 day revolution of Cinsas, the largest moon, around Aroriel, alteration long ago to a more precise solar calendar produced 24 cinths of equal length in Aroriel’s 456 day year.

Aroriellian year: 24 cinths; 6 cinths per season. Each cinth is composed of 19 days. An Aroriellian year is 456 days. Unlike our calendar, this one is very precise. No leap year or the like is needed.

Octade: 8 Aroriellian years; equivalent to 13.6 Earth years.

Octury: 64 Aroriellian years, or 8 octades (written as 100 in their base eight system) = 108.8 Earth years.

Generation: 128 Aroriellian years, or two octuries, or sixteen octades (written as 200 in their numerical system) = 217.6 Earth years.  

Octennium: 512 Aroriellian years, or eight octuries, or four generations (written as 1000 in their system) = 870.4 Earth years.

quote:

CONVERSIONS RELATIVE TO EARTH TIME  

1 Aroriellian (A.) second = 3.69 Earth (E.) seconds.

1 A. minute = 64 A. seconds = 236.16 E. seconds = 3.94 E. minutes.

1 A. quat = ¼ A. hour = 16 A. minutes = 63.04 E. minutes = 1.05 E. hours.

1 A. octien = four quats = 64 A. minutes = 252.16 E. minutes = 4.2 E. hours.

.71 A. days = 1 E. day = 5.7 A. hours.

1 A. day = eight octiens = 32 A. quats = 512 A. minutes = 2017.28 E. minutes = 33.6 E. hours = 1.4 E. days.

1 A. quinth = 4 A. days = quarter of a cinth = 5.6 E. days.

1 A. cinth = 19 A. days = 26.6 E. days = .88 E. month.

21.3 A. days = 1 E. month = 1.12 A. cinth.

259.15 A. days = 1 E. year = 13.45 A. cinths = .57 A. years.

1 Aroriellian year = 1.76 E. years = 24 A. cinths = 21.4 E. months.

quote:

TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENTS            

Octdra = 1.5 degrees in the Kelvin scale.

Absolute Zero = 0 K= 0 octdras.

Freezing Point of Ethanol = -20 F = 244 K = 163 octdras.

Zero Degrees F = 255 K = 170 octdras.

Freezing Point of Water = 32 F = 273 K = 182 octdras.

Furlitian Room Temperature = 55F = 285K = 190 octdras.

Human Room Temperature = 70F = 294K = 196 octdras.

Furlitian Body Temperature = 85F = 302K = 201 octdras.

Human Body Temperature = 98.6F = 310K = 207 octdras.

Boiling Point of Water = 212F = 373K = 249 octdras.

quote:

OTHER MEASUREMENTS (measurements are rounded to nearest similar measurement)

Octa = one centimeter.

Octafet = 3.25 feet or one meter.

Octyle = 1/2 mile = one kilometer.

Octlo = 2.2 pounds = one kilogram.

Furlites use a base eight systems of mathematics, but for most purposes in these books, just as Aroriellian is translated to English, numbers are translated to our base ten for reading clarity.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,  8,   9,  10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20........Infinity   BASE TEN

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24........Infinity   BASE EIGHT

If I see another equals sign, I'm going to strangle myself with a tape measure.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God. drat.

If your book needs this much supplementary material, you've done a TERRIBLE job at story-telling.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
This reminds me of why I started hating Homestuck before most other people did.

Why would you make your material obtuse and hard to relate to deliberately?

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

3. This is the least entertaining thing possible to mock the book for or care about at all, you dork. And you wonder why A human heart hates this thread.

Eh, different things will stick out to people as being naggingly wrong with the story telling or prose. OP hates all of the "oct" prefixes, someone else complained about smiling dialog.

For my part, I'm endlessly annoyed that generic classes (ie- human, furlite, monii, etc) are capitalized. I think that because Main Coon is capitalized, she thinks cat is capitalized too.

I also think it is stupid that the child welfare laws of this planet are set up to split the children from the vast majority of their family for no good reason. But that's less quibbling than bad grammar complaints.

But I think this thread has enough room for all of our baffled irritation! Complaints large and small are all welcome! Let your incredulity run free and wild like a shartball in the wind!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Whiz Palace posted:

This reminds me of why I started hating Homestuck before most other people did.

Why would you make your material obtuse and hard to relate to deliberately?

I'm firmly of the belief that there are two types of Homestuck fans:

1. The ones who pretend to understand it because their friends are into it and they want to join in on dressing up in gray paint and roleplaying.

2. The ones who completely understand it, and therefore are absolutely insane.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

SerialKilldeer posted:

The thing about "half breed slaves" is another interesting concept. Is it ever mentioned outside the insult glossary? (I'm guessing not.)

Also, I know the furlites are meant to look cute and sort of menacing-- like a combination of big cats and feathered T. rexes-- but boy are their faces ugly. They all seem to have the same unchanging uncanny valley rictus, too.

I was also wondering what the other half was and haven't seen anything else referring to it. Granted, I've really only skimmed the thing.

Oh wait,

quote:

The five original Frlitian races , Artropic, Tropic, Midrace, Arctic, and Arielartic, became very prejudiced and did not allow interracial bondings to survive.

Maybe that's what it refers to?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Good news! Our next appendix reading will start on Furlite biology!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully there is an appendix on whether the furlites have an appendix.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

“Hello, Shaltra.” Elara sat beside her cousin, her eyes on the little one. “Your baby is so adorable.”

“Thank you. Would you like to hold him?”

“Yes, very much!” Elara waited as Shaltra detached the infant from her breast. The little one protested, but Elara took him and cuddled him, murmuring silly words to him, radiating her love for him. The baby ceased crying, and gazed up at her in a toothless smile. Elara returned the smile, noticing the unique pattern of spots on his left shoulder. They formed a sun system pattern, and the larger middle blot actually looked a brighter gold than the remaining light copper spots. Perfect for an infant of her spacefaring clan. Elara hugged him.

“Have you named him?”

“Yes. We call him Surius, after Grandmother.”

“No wonder Aunt Suria took leave. She does not do that often.”

“No, she does not.” Shaltra shook her head. “I do feel bad though. She was so angry when she found out what that fool Kintus had done.”

“But it worked out. Kintus is gone,” Elara replied. “How long are you staying on leave?”

“Until he enters school.” Shaltra gazed solemnly at Elara. “Teres is staying planet-bound with me until it comes time to return to duty. It will be so hard leaving Surius behind when I do so. I do not know how your mother is dealing with that. It . . .”

“My mother is very well-disciplined, though it must bother her.” Elara took a deep breath. “It will be difficult for everyone. I do not look forward to that parting.”

“I am sorry. I did not mean . . . ”

“I know. Do not worry.” Elara reluctantly handed the baby back. “I wish health and happiness to you and Surius. You are so lucky your first pregnancy went full term.”

“I know.” Shaltra smiled broadly. “Thank you.”

“If you will excuse me, my cousin Esurus wants to talk to me about classes at the University.”

“Good fortune to you,” Shaltra said softly, cuddling her son to her chest.

“Thank you.” Elara tickled Surius’ belly. “Bye, little one.”

Elara finds her cousin Esurus sitting with her other cousin Thitris, and it's already getting hard to keep track of everyone. Esurus immediately starts the conversation by asking Elara for advice on how to get Commander Ransius to like him at the academy. The rest of their conversation is too meaningless to really deserve recounting, mostly just establishing that Thitris is a class clown and having trouble advancing through the academy because of his poor discipline.

quote:

“Well, I . . . ” Thitris stared at Elara, his dark russet coat bristling.

“Well, I what?” Elara growled. “You are twenty-five years old. You should at least be a Yoeite by now. Sometimes you are a real chafkhead, Thitris. I am happy you are not my brother. I would be horrified!”

Thitris gaped at her. Elara gazed back, radiating strong disapproval. She took delight as it stabbed into him. For all the strong discipline in Aunt Suria’s household, nobody possessed the psi talent to make him feel their disapproval. Elara practiced, and, over the years, her talents expanded to the point where she projected nearly as well as her mother. His stunned expression pleased her. Behind Thitris, his parents Thuria and Shegus stood, attracted by the commotion. Shegus’ bright green-gold eyes glittered with disapproval, and Thuria scowled down at her son, teal eyes blazing.

Wait, hang on. Psi talent? Furlites, what, psychically project emotions to make people feel bad? Literally none of this has been properly established and suddenly our aliens are also psychics.

Elara notices that Murkuria is crying, and gets up to get everyone's attention. After a good paragraph or two of Thitris being a dick and everyone mocking him for it, she proposes a game of Walball for the family and sends Thorius to get the game box.

quote:

“All right,” he replied, a slight smile tugging at his down-turned lips. Elara and the entire Clan waited for Thorius to return with the game. He hauled the large box into the room, then unpacked it. He took the cloth basket and secured it to the wall. As he did so, Murkuria plucked a plastic octagon from the box. Elia ranged alongside, then pulled out a smooth hitting stick and a sponge ball. Elara watched, satisfied, as the twins lost their woebegone expressions, eager to play this simple game. The person to score the most baskets by hitting the sponge ball won, but the toss of that numbered octagon dictated how many chances a player took at each turn. The children gathered around, eager to play. Impatient, Elia took the rod and tapped the octagon. Murkuria nearly dropped it.

“Hey! Elia!” Murkuria exclaimed, grabbing the stick. She pulled on it, tossing the eight-sided sponge to Ceria. Elia tugged back, and they laughed. They tugged harder, careening back and forth. Murkuria forgot her grief and that horrible vidcall. A young preschool-age child ran up to them, laughing. He bounced on excited feet, taking a swat from Murkuria’s tail. Bowled over, he leaped back to his feet, laughing. Murkuria and Elia barely noticed him, until a deafening squall stopped the tugging match. Murkuria uttered a startled cry and released the stick, sending Elia on her tail. She lurched to one side, feeling something under her foot. Murkuria glanced down in time to see the youngster’s dark gold tail swishing out from under her toes. The child stood up, wiped his tears away, and glared at Murkuria, ignoring his mother.

The kids play for a bit, and Thitris manages to come in last even against preschoolers. Everybody hates Thitris.

quote:

“He cannot retort back at her now,” Ceria giggled. “I would love to see him try. He is nearly as bad as that slimepot in your class, Kutius.”

“Nobody is that bad,” Murkuria growled.

“Hey, speaking of that dirtbag, is it not amazing he is of Clan Koris?” Elia whispered.

“Koris?” Thorius hissed with hatred. “That tyrant king, from our history books?”

“Yes.” Elia nodded. “We told you the day it happened.”

“I still do not believe it.” Murkuria frowned. “Who would even admit to such a relationship?”

“Well, I was in the Disciplinary Office when Kutius’ parents stormed in.” Elia glared with indignation. “His father is a small Dokit of a man, and his mother is as grubby as Kutius! Anyway, when the Officer gave punishment, she declared he discriminated against her, just because she was of Koris’ Clan.” Elia lowered her voice further. “I was so shocked I forgot what I went in there to ask for! The Disciplinary Officer seemed unperturbed, but even I felt his surprise.”

The "Dokit" thing reminded me, swear words just seem to tumble out of Furlites' mouths like candy from a pinata. If it weren't for them being aliens, Murkuria freaking out at the call from Kutius would have been a preteen just dropping racial slurs in between calling him a piece of poo poo.

Also, someone mentioned Kutius being sterile. Here's why:

quote:

“But I was there.” Elia frowned. “You do not believe me either?” “About someone admitting being related to Koris?

"No,” Murkuria replied. “Maybe Kutius’ mother lied, for attention. How could someone of Koris’ ilk have escaped the castration knife? The Rebels snipped all the males’ chybutz off, and cut into the females, making them barren.” Murkuria whispered. “Under his horrible reign, he had slaves, and his warriors even broke apart bonded couples.”

“He was terrible.” Ceria glanced over at Elara. “Your sister would be in such trouble if she lived then. She looks like an obvious cross between the Tropic race and the Arctic race. At least we look like the Mid race.”

“But we would be warriors,” Elia’s voice rose. “Uuugh. Just to fight, and nothing else?”

“Thank the cosmos that the races are so blended there are no pure strains any more,” Thorius said. “It is hard to believe there once were.”

Furlite society is horrifying.

quote:

“If it is true Kutius is a direct descendant, that does explain his idiocy,” Thorius commented. “He and his mother are misfits, and, by their actions, deserve whatever is coming to them. He deserves to lose his chybutz. I hope they remember to get the third chybut, the one that descends at bonding. Then he can never consummate a bond.”

“And that means even if he does bond, it cannot ever be real.” Elia grinned wickedly. “That would be a fitting thing to happen to him. Maybe we should all tease him about it in school. He will be back, it seems.”

“I hope he is just lying again, but maybe you are right, Elia,” Murkuria sighed, grasping Elia’s hand before growling. “If it is true he is back at school, I wish I had beaten him to death. Teasing him might be great fun. I hate him!”

“So do I, but be glad you did not kill him. Remember, the Termination Tradition still exists.” Thorius glanced at the console. “Come, let us start a game, and forget slopass boy.”

Even the children in this book are a bunch of assholes!

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Wait, hang on. Psi talent? Furlites, what, psychically project emotions to make people feel bad? Literally none of this has been properly established and suddenly our aliens are also psychics.

There was something earlier about "empathy," but it wasn't clear whether that was a reference to psychic powers or just normally picking up on emotions.

Looks like I was wrong and the half-breeds are somewhat relevant, so kudos to Marie Philips for that I guess? But these are a disturbing bunch of aliens, especially considering that the author based them on animals she loves. I'm just glad that real cats aren't sapient enough to read and understand this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember my days in middle school, talking to my siblings about how I wished I could beat a school bully to death (immediately after mocking him for being castrated as punishment for a distant relative's crimes) and how I was only stopped by the threat of immediate execution.

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

quote:

Elara waited as Shaltra detached the infant from her breast.

Sooooo, not lizards then.

Honestly what was the point of making them dinosaurs if you didn't want any reptilian features?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember my days in middle school, talking to my siblings about how I wished I could beat a school bully to death (immediately after mocking him for being castrated as punishment for a distant relative's crimes) and how I was only stopped by the threat of immediate execution.

Remember that in this context, that horrifying sex scene from the terrible books thread was supposed to be a heartwarming moment of triumph against an oppressive, brutal system.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheSmilingJackal posted:

Sooooo, not lizards then.

Honestly what was the point of making them dinosaurs if you didn't want any reptilian features?

Because, you know, dinosaurs are cool! All kids love dinosaurs!

EDIT: I walked into this particular Let's Read blind. Does someone have linkage to the post about this infamous sex scene?

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 28, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samizdata posted:

Because, you know, dinosaurs are cool! All kids love dinosaurs!

EDIT: I walked into this particular Let's Read blind. Does someone have linkage to the post about this infamous sex scene?

Toward the end of this page.

This is what we're working towards.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Wow. Just...

Wow.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh my.

So. It's based on her cats, which I have to assume from that scene were neutered, but she felt sorry for them and invented a way for them to have sexual pleasure due to a magical third testicle that was missed during the surgery?

Perfectly normal and healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Well, I guess we should be be happy they are not-cats, since cat dongs are barbed...

• Locked thread