Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Deal With it Midgardian

The problem I find the No Superman Superman show, is that unlike Batman, his villains are generally people with powers that are pretty god tier. Not to mention as others have said, I don't really want another show winking at us pretending its an easter egg.

Also, there's a perfect, but tiny, Superman on Supergirl! Why not just make a spin off from that? I am defiantly at the saturation point of DC TV shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Metropolis show without Superman feels like a concept that could work as a short-run one-off series* where Superman is only seen on television sets and flying overhead in a few scenes and it's about how various folks live in the shadow and aftermath of his existence.

A person whose kid has repeatedly injured himself trying to emulate the powers of Superman. A group of criminals trying to figure out how to keep being crooks when you've got Superman seeing and hearing everything (a growing sideplot of them planning a complicated caper to go down at any given moment when they know he's busy with some crisis hundreds/thousands of miles away). Some guy who is a Superman lookalike who appears at parties doing tricks with props. Etc. You could do them all as stories that cross paths with one another.

*This might work as a Youtube fanseries or something

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

World-changing power, absolutely no side effects!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Metropolis show without Superman feels like a concept that could work as a short-run one-off series* where Superman is only seen on television sets and flying overhead in a few scenes and it's about how various folks live in the shadow and aftermath of his existence.

A person whose kid has repeatedly injured himself trying to emulate the powers of Superman. A group of criminals trying to figure out how to keep being crooks when you've got Superman seeing and hearing everything (a growing sideplot of them planning a complicated caper to go down at any given moment when they know he's busy with some crisis hundreds/thousands of miles away). Some guy who is a Superman lookalike who appears at parties doing tricks with props. Etc. You could do them all as stories that cross paths with one another.

*This might work as a Youtube fanseries or something

Naturally the lookalike would happen to be in the bank on the day the crooks try to rob it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Bruceski posted:

Naturally the lookalike would happen to be in the bank on the day the crooks try to rob it.

And get shot to death in front of the kid who thinks Superman is indestructable. (But yeah, he'd be in there to deposit a check as the robbery was going on because that seems like a goofy sort of Silver Age thing.)

But in all honesty I'm thinking of a kind of show that would mix a bit of lighthearted wonder and depressing reality about being in a world where a literal Superman exists and have some vignettes on how people live in that IF you're doing a show without Superman in it but set in Metropolis.

The person who has lost every job they've had in the last 5 years because they've been unlucky enough to be around and waylaid by some Superman related event that got them fired for being late too often. The people who are obsessed with Superman collectibles or the man himself. A survivor of someone who Superman didn't save trying to cope with what made their spouse so unremarkable to be ignored. Etc.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at Feb 5, 2018 around 01:38

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

This kind of speculation is fun and all, but isn't the series set prior to Superman's arrival in Metropolis? He'd still be under the radar in Smallville.

It'd be the equivalent of Gotham -- the show -- if Bruce Wayne wasn't there full stop.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

Girl you know you gotta watch your health

Can we jump ahead to season 2 of Metropolis where the showrunners give up and just go "okay fine, here's Lois fighting Mr. Mxyzptlk and Lex is gay for yet another TV version of Solomon Grundy"

TheGamerGuy23
Feb 9, 2017

Mameluke posted:

Lex is gay for yet another TV version of Solomon Grundy"
Pardon? This has happened before?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

This kind of speculation is fun and all, but isn't the series set prior to Superman's arrival in Metropolis? He'd still be under the radar in Smallville.

It'd be the equivalent of Gotham -- the show -- if Bruce Wayne wasn't there full stop.

Yeah, but that's what I mean by if you're doing a Superman-centric story without Superman there. Doing a Metropolis story before Superman's arrival in the city sounds just a bit like it doesn't matter because Metropolis to me never felt like a city full of secrets, problems and mystery like Gotham does.

If this is Metropolis before Superman, it probably just needs to be a Luthor-centric story in that case, which it sounds like it's going to be. But in that case, I think it maybe should be a bit of a "rise of Luthor" who elevating himself to the most powerful man in Metropolis before Superman shows up. Maybe they'll be able to spin it into a show about the bleeding-edge developments in science, the power of business and the morality and ethics of both.

But I don't know if they're going to go to the Wealthy Lex Luthor-Evil Businessman/Genius well, again. It's been done a lot over the last 30+ years. If it's he and Lois, I really suspect it will fall into being a 'Young Lex, only-slightly-arrogant outsider 20-something supergenius mad scientist' who has little business ambition.

At some point by the second season, I suspect they'll introduce a non-Superman Clark Kent in some capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

They had to make it pre-Superman or they couldn't merge the two shows later, having Bruce and Clark teamups. Despite the wildly different tones and aims of their shows.

«7 »