Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

CourValant posted:

Actually, in hindsight, Tek should have known better than to lead with 'have sex with me', since he is supposed to be street smart.

Consent can be 'taken back' after the fact if the chick wants to mess with you, Brother.
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:yikes:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
:allears:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CourValant posted:

Consent can be 'taken back' after the fact if the chick wants to mess with you, Brother.

please elaborate on this excellent theory

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Let's not even go near that can of worms, please and thank you.

I don't want IP to feel like he need to shy away from sensitive topics just because of goons being goons. :smith:

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 22, 2018

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

CourValant posted:

/sigh. Not exactly the way I wanted to get here, and, life's messy I suppose. We did one part of 'Beyond Scared Straight' right, which is to throw the book at the youth and slap cuffs on to force them to see the reality of the situation.

Yes, we'll help.

Its cool, makes perfect sense in this context.

Actually, in hindsight, Tek should have known better than to lead with 'have sex with me', since he is supposed to be street smart.

:biotruths:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Let's not :can:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Actually we should because I really want to hear this take

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Back from the hospital after a scare. Worst headache of my life. I thought something wrong was happening with me being sick. Nope, just a headache. I am both thankful and embarrassed that it was nothing more.

That said, I'm not really sure how to tactfully tackle this. I do really like you all. I think that it's important to be able to voice your opinion so long as it's well reasoned even if I disagree. I also think that it's important to leave room for people to change their opinions as we're people, not ideologies. Dog piling feels good, but it doesn't predispose people to change their opinions. It also doesn't leave much room for understanding, change or forgiveness.

Cour, after thinking tonight I respectfully disagree with what you said. I hope you take a step back from your point, take a look at it critically and see why people would disagree with you.

I'm not trying to be classy, above it all or high handed. Even though I do write fiction for a significant part of my day, which is a rather elaborate form of lying, I'm doing my best to be a better person by abandoning that old, liar self of mine. I wasn't the type of person really worth associating with back then. I chose openness and honesty as a path to lead and I'd rather be friendly and constructive. That path has been highly influential in the way that I write and in the messages that I'm trying to convey in my work. So I hope you take my words in good faith that I genuinely like you and hope that you can change your mind. :)

That said, I am still experimenting with my work even this late in the books. These are tough topics that I haven't actually tackled in any of my work before. It's going to dredge up bad feelings. I apologize.

I'll whip something up tomorrow.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 22, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Glad your headache was just a headache.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

CourValant posted:

I like you less every time you post, chummer.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Back from the hospital after a scare. Worst headache of my life. I thought something wrong was happening with me being sick. Nope, just a headache. I am both thankful and embarrassed that it was nothing more.

Glad you're feeling better, get some rest.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Cour, after thinking tonight I respectfully disagree with what you said. I hope you take a step back from your point, take a look at it critically and see why people would disagree with you.

I can completely understand why people take issue with what I wrote, and the only additional thing I'll say on this matter is that I didn't mean it from a chauvinistic, pro-assault perspective.

Rather, I wanted to highlight that false accusations occur, on both sides; there are court case examples of both if folks want to do a quick search.

Not going to engage in a forum argument about this, so say what you will, I'm going to step back.

I like you too Buddy; I enjoy our conversations and I definitely value your opinion, as well as those other posters in this thread. I'm not a bigot nor do I consider it beneath me to be swayed by the perspectives of others.

I don't want to mess in your punchbowl Ice, I'll remove the comment from my initial post.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Fuzzy, Tek and Deondra – Afternoon – Touristville, Crossroads General Practice

This weekend had been horrible as she remembered the last two days from start to finish. Fuzzy had been told that Sasha might die, but only after grilling Julie after specifically being asked not to, she'd thrown up, cried a lot, tried to get recruited by an outlaw motorcycle club, sat in a puddle and cried again, accidentally abandoned food, accidentally endangered Sasha by getting her too close to the ACHE, had a nightmare after months of peaceful sleep, subsequently lost sleep, got intimidated by Sasha's father, tried to get Tek to do the right thing by talking to him, failed at that and tried to match his stupid against her stupid and had been body slammed into the floor of a construction site for her trouble, and to top it all off she was sure that she'd made Sasha worry about her. All of the anger from these past few days roiled inside of her and she finally lost her temper.

"You idiot!" she yelled. "Of course I'm going to help you! If I wasn't going to help you I would have just beat you down and dragged you through the halls by your leg! I got beat down because I was trying to help you!"

Tek looked confused, or at least Fuzzy thought she looked confused through that mess of bruises that was his face. Deondra said nothing.

"Fuzzy?" asked Tek. "I don't speak Spanish."

With a deep breath she closed her eyes and realized she accidentally switched to the language which she primarily used for yelling. She took a deep breath and sighed. Her head hurt so much.

"I'm going to help you," she said, tiredly. "I'm not going to press any charges. I'll talk to Sasha."

Tek sighed with relief and lowered his head.

"Thank you, Fuzzy. Really," said Tek.

"You're welcome, Tek," said Fuzzy.

"Because your girlfriend is really scary," he continued. "You told me she wasn't-"

"Tek..." warned Fuzzy. "Not right now.

With a pause and a gulp he nodded.

"Right. Sorry," he said.

Fuzzy, Julie and Devin – Touristville, Crossroads General Practice

"No," said Devin.

"What do you mean, no?" asked Fuzzy.

Fuzzy was dressed once more. She hadn't asked who had stripped her of her clothing and put her in that silly, paper thin dress that didn't even cover all of her. If she was being honest with herself, she didn't want to know.

"He means we're sending you for some more tests just to be safe," said Julie, nervously. "There are bruises all over the back and that includes your head. We're worried about your head."

"Not exactly worried," said Devin, with a brief sidelong glance to Julie. "We just want to make sure you're safe. I'm ordering a CT scan along with a few more tests. It's early enough that you should be able to make it home in time if you get there quickly."

Fuzzy paused as she processed this information. She was still planning on making it to the Deadeyes meet. She dug through her pocket and checked the time on her new commlink. It was 1:35 pm. She had to meet them in less than two hours.

"Sorry, Fuzzy," said Julie. "Marco could have detected what was wrong with you and possibly saved you the trip, but he had to leave for corporate stuff once you were declared stable. I still don't know how to diagnose with magic yet. I'm learning that I have a lot to learn."

"Why couldn't he have just checked me while I was sleeping?" asked Fuzzy.

"It would be a breach of ethics," explained Devin. "Marco isn't employed here and we couldn't get your consent to be treated by him. The clinic...Um...Doctor's office is still new and this was an oversight. This isn't a little clinic anymore or ad-hoc healing after church. We have to follow protocols. That also means that we contacted your guardian as you are still sixteen."

Fuzzy groaned.

"Not Julian!" she whined, before she realized something and her face lit up. "Wait! I'm seventeen! I got checked! Does that matter?"

"No. I'm afraid it does not," said Devin.

Fuzzy groaned again.

Fuzzy, Kenji and Sasha – Afternoon – Seattle Metroplex

Fuzzy felt helpless as she got status updates from Kenji by text. He'd agreed to go to the Deadeyes meetup in Fuzzy's place to negotiate on Fuzzy's behalf. This made her nervous. She was not used to standing by helplessly, or as it turned out, helplessly being run through some strange sort of machine. Julian met her at the hospital and Fuzzy actually talked to him since he had done a good job of negotiating for her. Sasha on the other hand wouldn't even speak to Fuzzy, but did accompany her, along with her bodyguards, Duncan and Beef. This both confused and dismayed her as she did want to talk to Sasha, but Sasha wouldn't even look at her. Her only distraction was to pester Kenji for updates which of course did not come. So she was left alone for a time to a dark fate, which was to be alone with her own thoughts.

Hours later she was cleared, discharged and Kenji gave her the bare bone details in person on the dock before the boat departed in hushed tones.

"Tek gets to leave in good standing," said Kenji. "From what I gather that means that he'll be able to leave without too many repercussions. He's going to lose his motorcycle, but he was always going to lose his motorcycle since he signed it over to them if he ever left. It shows commitment. It's also a good way for the club to get rides from people who don't work out and keep people who are on the fence inside."

They were in line for one of Fuzzy's favorite street vendors. Fuzzy was in desperate need of some comfort food and a peace offering. So she planned on getting a baker's dozen of fresh bao, pronounced "bow", which is a sort of Chinese bun that can contain pretty much any sort of food from meat, to custard, to bean paste and even soup. It was Sasha's favorite street food and it would hopefully be a peace offering.

"Okay," said Fuzzy. "What else?"

"Well, he's not allowed to show his face in Tacoma anymore, but they won't go looking for him," explained Kenji. "He's also not allowed to associate with old members or join any other gangs. I made arrangements, and if all works out I'll handle negotiations about getting his family protected permanently. That's going to take months though. It's working for now, but it's going to be an ongoing process, but I got my in. That was the hard part. They almost didn't let me in at all without you, but I have my ways. You know, I'm actually glad things fell apart at the end with you and Tek."

Fuzzy shot Kenji a dirty look and Kenji waved his hands in surrender.

"I didn't mean it exactly like that, sorry," said Kenji. "A certain someone has been eating into more and more of my Sundays. Lately I've just been getting dumped off at the docks right as the boat comes. I guess this was important enough not to do that."

"You mean Edward?" asked Fuzzy.

Now it was Kenji's turn to shoot Fuzzy a dirty look. Fuzzy blushed out of embarrassment.

"Sorry. I'm just tired. I want this day to be over...And are you sure Sasha isn't going to break up with me?" asked Fuzzy, anxiously.

Kenji nodded as he hit the front of the line.

"One lotus seed bun, please," said Kenji to the vendor. "Actually, make that four. I'll get some Julie and Marco. Yeah. She's just mad at you. Haven't you ever had a fight before?"

Fuzzy shook her head.

Kenji took a bite of his bun, but didn't say anything immediately, so Fuzzy ordered rather than hold up the line.

"I'll have a baker's dozen special," said Fuzzy. "And another one with the sweet bean paste, please?"

Fuzzy and Kenji came back with their food to the boat. Fuzzy munched on her bao while Kenji talked.

"Want some advice?" asked Kenji.

Fuzzy nodded eagerly, mouth around her bao, ready to take another bite, but paused.

"Another favor?" asked Fuzzy.

"Buy me a bun next time and we'll call it even," said Kenji.

"I can do that," she said.

Kenji finished his food and adopted a thoughtful expression. He only spoke when he was done.

"Look, I've never actually been in a relationship that lasted more than a few days, but I know that people fight sometimes. Sasha is going to be pretty angry at you, but she'll most likely forgive you. Just don't make a habit of scaring her," said Kenji. "Julie told me about what happened, and I think Sasha has a serious protective streak running through her. Be careful that you don't accidentally turn her on someone, because she has just enough power to seriously ruin someone's life. Don't get me wrong, she's a nice person, but no one I've ever met is rational all of the time. Some of the nicest people I know are the most vicious when they feel cornered, scared or protective, because they're not used to managing those feelings. Me? I know how to manage my viciousness. You probably do too. I don't think Sasha does, which is weird in the corporate world come to think of it. At least at her level. Anyway, not being able to manage those feelings is not her fault. In fact, it's a good thing, because you only get there with practice."

Fuzzy said nothing, but she did listen and nod once. The two climbed onto the school boat. The normal hundred and change students that filled the boat weren't here today. There was less than half that number. For most of student, showing up to school for a Monday or leaving last Friday for an extended spring break was a no-brainer. Being stuck on the island five days a week made most people want to flee this place all the more given the chance. Monday was considered an unofficial "skip day".

Fuzzy looked for Sasha in their normal spot and found her. Her arms were folded, her legs were crossed with the foot in the air twitching nervously and there was a deep scowl set on her face. It seemed that other people gave her a wide berth and that particular area was clear. Fuzzy sighed and sat down next to Sasha. Neither said anything for a time, and it was still early enough that the boat wasn't underway just yet, so they didn't have to text.

"I'm sorry," said Fuzzy.

Sasha said nothing, but her foot's nervous kicking increased.

"I didn't mean to worry you. I was just doing my best," whispered Fuzzy.

"Your best was fighting someone in an alley?" seethed Sasha.

Sasha wasn't even looking at her. Guilt squirmed around in Fuzzy's belly like a snake.

"I tried to talk to him," pleaded Fuzzy. "I thought I was getting through to him, but I was so tired and worn down. He told me no. He was being stupid and hard headed, so I had to come down to where he was to talk to him."

"By being stupid and hard headed too?" asked Sasha, angrily.

"Um...Yeah," whispered Fuzzy. "Yeah, that was...Yeah."

Sasha pulled out her commlink and quickly tapped out a message. Fuzzy's commlink buzzed and she pulled it out.

"You know I can't even look at you right now?" read Sasha's text. "If I do I'll see how bad you feel and I'll cave in. If I pull out my glasses all of the time around everyone else on the island they will eventually figure out why and know what's wrong with me. So I can't even look at you when I'm mad at you. It's not fair."

She put her commlink away once more and began to speak again, though now in whispers.

"When Julie called me she made me promise to wait until you woke up before I brought Knight-Errant. I agreed because I like her, and threw away an opportunity to help my corporation for you. So I had to sit there uselessly and worry that the person you were trying to help did horrible things to you before I called the police. I didn't allow myself to break down because I needed to be strong for you when you woke up. Then I found out you fought with him because he wouldn't listen to anything but violence? You brought me in on your plan and then changed it at the last minute without telling me. I know it would have been hard to tell me, maybe even impossible, but I'm still mad," whispered Sasha.

Fuzzy fidgeted nervously in her seat. Despite Kenji's reassurances she still had to ask.

"Are you going to break up with me?" whispered Fuzzy.

"What? No!" exclaimed Sasha.

Once again she pulled out her commlink and tapped out a text. Fuzzy checked her commlink.

"Once I turn around I'm going to see the person inside of you and remember why I love you. I'm entitled to my anger for just a little bit longer," read the text.

A wave of relief flooded Fuzzy, but then the guilt came just as powerfully. Fuzzy wallowed in that guilt for a few minutes while Sasha's foot moved nervously. The boat cast off, and only when the roar of the boat's engine drowned out all noise did Sasha turn around to look at her. Briefly, Fuzzy saw that anger on her face, but it melted away as Sasha finally broke down and cried into Fuzzy's shoulder.

CYOA Time

Fuzzy is going to spend some time with Coach Bolt, the combat magic and physical adept teacher. He's going to have Fuzzy all to himself tomorrow and he's a hardass. What new skill or skill improvement would Fuzzy like to learn and how does Coach Bolt make this an unofficial punishment for her being a fuckup? The rumor mill has hit him, and Julian can't technically punish Fuzzy for what happens off campus. The physical adept class (usually small to begin with) is empty, and that's a happy accident. No new adept powers at present though. Sorry. Fuzzy still needs to get used to her own. He can help her with any physical skill under rank 6 though as well as further animal training so long as she has the karma.

Fuzzy has 10 karma left. Since we'll be donating to Ratmom I'll allow us to go briefly into debt, so 12. This means we can pump any physical skill from 5 to 6, maximum. We can also learn a specialization for 7 which will give a +2 bonus to a single physical skill in a certain way. We could learn a physical skill we don't have yet (like swimming for example). Or we could save it up.

Also, Fuzzy gets something. She can either get Dave's max loyalty, develop Tek as a new contact or get legendary rep for Touristville.

Dave is still a street ear for the Tacoma area and that hasn't changed. We can increase his contact level with money at a later date and that will change what he does.

Tek will become a new connection 1 loyalty 3 contact. He's a street tough and he will change come year two. Again, we can invest money to change what he does and his connection rating.

Legendary rep will increase Fuzzy's Touristville bonus from +1 to all social rolls to +2.

--

Fuzzy gets karma for succeeding in her "run".

2 karma for surviving
1 karma for completing some objectives (Losing the fight means she did not meet the Deadeyes. Devin was not going to release her until she went to a hospital.)
1 karma for fighting Tek on his own terms.
3 karma for difficulty

Sasha's loyalty is tested, but not seriously enough to damage it. If Fuzzy kept this behavior up I would. However, Sasha knows that this was a misunderstanding and that Fuzzy in her own way was trying to do the right thing.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 22, 2018

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I'm voting for increasing our Touristville rep. We might need that bonus once it comes out we'll be working for Ares this summer.

As for powers to train, I don't feel like well enough versed in Shadowrun mechanics to have an especially useful input.
I will say though, since we said yes to the internship, and Matt promised us a position as animal handler, bumping up our animal handling skills sound like a good fit in theory.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh man Loyalty 6 is really really good and powerful, but so is the Touristville rep (especially since we want them to love us as much as we can manage so maybe we're not totally shunned when it comes out we're a cop)

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh man Loyalty 6 is really really good and powerful, but so is the Touristville rep (especially since we want them to love us as much as we can manage so maybe we're not totally shunned when it comes out we're a cop)
Yeah, but how useful to us would a flower delivery dude be?

Given that basically all of Touristville saw Tek carry us to the clinic, once it comes out how and why we did what we did, I feel like rep is the thematic choice.
Sure, we helped Dave's kid out of a bad life before it even really started, but we also removed a sizable chunk of income for the household.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
1. Punishment - physical training. All of the physical training.
2. Get Tek as a contact - seems the most logical answer to me.
3. Adept powers - what are our options?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gun Jam posted:

1. Punishment - physical training. All of the physical training.
2. Get Tek as a contact - seems the most logical answer to me.
3. Adept powers - what are our options?

No options for adept powers at present. As I've written it, the powers are actually fairly easy to acquire, but they need time to train. Fuzzy was learning how to ride for instance to figure out her reflexes. It also means that Fuzzy will be able to continue to grow into her powers come year 2.

I wrote it into the story an update or two back that Fuzzy's danger sense went haywire and she almost drew her knife on Oli when Oli almost ran into her back. It's like Fuzzy has developed a new sense and is just now learning how to use them. She's not 100% safe right now using adept powers, and she'd be less safe obtaining more. We'll choose new adept powers come year 2.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Touristville Rep

Can we get a rundown of options from IP or any other posters who know what's what?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Options for what?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
A pretty good result in the end, I think, thanks to some diplomancy from Kenji. It would have been much better if Fuzzy hadn't got her rear end whooped, but poo poo happens sometimes.

As for what happens now; Fuzzy's pride is going to be stinging from her loss, in spite of her intentionally putting herself at a disadvantage. Given how hard she got taken down, I think that's going to manifest in wanting to train dodge skill. If she had been quicker on her feet, she would have won the fight! I don't think I need to go into how this can be used by coach to give her a hard time, she's going to get very well acquainted with the mat :v:

And Tek becomes a contact because in spite of how it finished this felt like more of a personal story to me, I don't think people are really going to be talking about how she selflessly got herself beaten up unlike her previous exploits which were a bit more obviously praiseworthy so getting more rep seems a little weird.

E:

I don't actually know how Shadowrun works other than having played some of the games so if you don't actually use dodge skill to avoid getting hit in hand to hand combat then replace that vote with unarmed combat.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 22, 2018

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Toughy posted:

Touristville Rep

Can we get a rundown of options from IP or any other posters who know what's what?

There are a number of options that Fuzzy could learn. Any physical skill she can boost from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, so on all the way up to 5 to 6. With the karma being 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12.

We can also get a specialty. It would give a +2 to any physical skill on a specific instance. Fuzzy's spearknife for example. Or maybe she wants to learn how to better sneak in the woods.

She could pick up a new skill. Fuzzy still does not know how to swim. In fact, none of the three do as they all grew up poor and that was intentional as Blake Island is still an island surrounded by water. That would cost 2 karma for something better than her ineffectually doggy paddling.

Apologies for the confusion. I guess I could have worded that better. :/

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Wait, are we buying skills and stuff now? I thought the "punishment" vote is pure fluff and we'll actually spend karma on skills later

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Crazycryodude posted:

Wait, are we buying skills and stuff now? I thought the "punishment" vote is pure fluff and we'll actually spend karma on skills later

It's both. Eight hours with coach learning stuff and suffering.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

For skill choices, these are our major options imo:
Specializing Blades for our spear knife (gives us +6 instead of +4 bonus when fighting using our nogway) (7 karma)
blades 5 (10 karma)
animal handling 3 (6 karma)
unarmed combat 2&3 (4+6 karma)
pilot ground vehicle 3 (6 karma)

Personally I think the spearknife specialisation is the best option, though animal handling 3 is a close runner up, since we're about to get our owl.
Also add Swimming 1 to that.

Rabidweasel: There's no specific dodge skill, the check is Intuition+Reaction, so we could only train the attributes which is way outside our price range atm

Reward wise I think T-ville reputation is the best choice.

As for how the coach punishes Fuzzy, I'd say he does so by repeatedly showing her how much she still has to learn by fighting her while she has her spearknife and repeatedly disarming her. Just straight up showing her that she's not as hot poo poo when she goes up against someone better trained.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sheep-dodger posted:

Personally I think the spearknife specialisation is the best option, though animal handling 3 is a close runner up, since we're about to get our owl.

My vote's for all three of these as well - spearknife specialization, learn to swim, and t-ville rep

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

sheep-dodger posted:

Rabidweasel: There's no specific dodge skill, the check is Intuition+Reaction, so we could only train the attributes which is way outside our price range atm

I thought it was probably something like that, videogames lied to me :(

In which case I vote for just 1 point in unarmed combat mostly because it's thematic and saving up Karma seems like it wouldn't hurt right now

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I think we need to Talk to Sasha about feelings, boundaries, and the hard work portion of the relationship. It’s possible to love and be loved by someone so much you hurt them more easily by loving up or trying to protect them. I think this would be a valuable thing to do, because I think Fuzzy is REALLY messed up about how she made Sasha worried and doesn’t want to do that again.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
My vote is for Touristville Rep. Aside from that, I dunno, I'm good with whatever skills everyone else wants. There's a few knowledge and Logic skills I want her to pick up at some point, but they're not on the table, so we're good.

Maybe a Spear specialization for Blades (since that's the Serious Mode form for her weapon) and a combination of Acrobatics and Free Fall to make her really good at dropping down from heights? I'd imagine that kind of verticality would be very attractive to a huntress like Fuzzy. A basic competency in swimming would be appealing to her for similar reasons (amphibious approaches/escapes, surviving submersion).

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

sheep-dodger posted:

For skill choices, these are our major options imo:
Specializing Blades for our spear knife (gives us +6 instead of +4 bonus when fighting using our nogway) (7 karma)
blades 5 (10 karma)
animal handling 3 (6 karma)
unarmed combat 2&3 (4+6 karma)
pilot ground vehicle 3 (6 karma)

As for how the coach punishes Fuzzy, I'd say he does so by repeatedly showing her how much she still has to learn by fighting her while she has her spearknife and repeatedly disarming her. Just straight up showing her that she's not as hot poo poo when she goes up against someone better trained.

I like all your recommendations! his recommendations.

Also what's up with puppy? Does he never leave the island anymore?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

VanSandman posted:

I think we need to Talk to Sasha about feelings, boundaries, and the hard work portion of the relationship. It’s possible to love and be loved by someone so much you hurt them more easily by loving up or trying to protect them. I think this would be a valuable thing to do, because I think Fuzzy is REALLY messed up about how she made Sasha worried and doesn’t want to do that again.
I like this.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Touristville rep and Swimming. Mostly because swimming feels like a punishment Coach Bolt can throw out while also being a useful skill.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh good, we didn't actually have to meet with the gang. That's good.

As should be no surprise to anyone, develop Tek as a contact.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Unarmed, swimming and Tek as a contact

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Spearknife training, swimming, and Touristville rep

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Changing/clarifying my vote to
Touristville rep, animal handling, swimming.
If possible and if it makes narrative sense, can we bump up our body stat?
Fuzzy is tough, but she could be tougher. :orks101:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Spear and magic helmet knife training, swimming, and Tville Rep.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Groetgaffel posted:

Changing/clarifying my vote to
Touristville rep, animal handling, swimming.
Fuzzy is tough, but she could be tougher. :orks101:

This is my vote.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

All right. Let's tally up the votes.

It look like swimming, the spearknife specialization and legendary rep won out.

Groetgaffel posted:

That takes more karma than we currently have. Stats cost 5 points per level and it starts at 10 karma for 2, 15 for 3, 20 for 4, 25 for 5 and 30 for 6. Fuzzy would have to spend 25 karma for body 5. It would give her one extra physical hit point (not stun, that's wilpower), one more die to resist physical damage and I retooled how armor works, so she could wear one more point of armor up to 10 armor without suffering penalties to her agility or reaction time. We actually had this choice earlier, but the thread went with magic 5 instead of body 5.

Talk to Sasha about boundaries. I like this.

Also, as for Puppy, he leaves the island with her sometimes, but Fuzzy also got a motorcycle and we have no side car for the pooch. If we'd gotten a car he would've come to more places. I figure he would mostly come now when Fuzzy and Sasha go hiking. Otherwise he keeps Mother Bear company lately as she rarely leaves the island unless it's her turn to babysit Julie on Sundays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Fuzzy - Monday, March 18th, 2075 - Early morning - Blake Island

Fuzzy woke up to the feeling of a warm body pressed up against her back. She turned around and snuggled briefly before the owner of that body repeatedly licked her face. Puppy's tail thumped against the bed repeatedly as Fuzzy tried to ward him off. She giggled and ineffectually tried to cover her face, but he was too insistent to be easily pushed back. After all, he almost weighed as much as she did. She tried hiding under the covers but a cold, wet nose snuffled and found her under the sheets.

"Okay! I'm up!" exclaimed Fuzzy.

The bed rose up noticeably when Puppy jumped off. His claws clicked on the wooden floor of her cabin as he explored the small area and found his favorite deer horn, which he noisily chewed as he waited. The cabin wasn't really suited to a dog so large, but Puppy was a good boy and he got plenty of time outside. Fuzzy rose up out of her bed and scratched him behind his ears as she yawned. She dressed for just long enough to take him outside and went inside to take a quick shower. She emerged ready to face the day.

"All right, Puppy, where's your leash?" asked Fuzzy.

Puppy perked up at the word "leash". The large, brown, short haired dog with pointy ears went to the spot where it was hung up, grabbed it with his teeth and dropped it into Fuzzy's waiting hand.

"Good boy," she cooed.

Puppy's tail thumped against the ground as she clipped the lead to his collar. Now dressed in her running outfit she emerged from her cabin with Puppy in tow. She briefly stretched like Coach Bolt taught her and she was off. Just like normal, she'd run twice around the island each morning five days a week rain or shine. Just her, her dog and nature. Puppy seemed eager, but he didn't pull on his leash. He was too well behaved. So once she made it out of sight of the school she unclipped his lead so he could really run. He barked happily and ran down the trail and back a few times as she moved. The breeze was cool, the air smelled salty and the sun was just beginning to rise.

On her second lap of the island she went to the place where she stored her practice weapons. These were just crudely shaped pieces of wood, but they were sturdy and got the job done. She ran through the spear and knife drills Rat Man taught her and that Coach Bolt improved upon while Puppy watched and waited patiently. When she was done she pulled out her snack, water and Puppy's collapsible water bowl. The deer jerky from her kill last month was beginning to run out, and she'd probably have to go hunting again soon. She broke half of her jerky apart and fed it to Puppy as a treat and poured him half of her water. They ate, drank and rested before returning home. Fuzzy then took another shower, this one quick, and changed into her school clothes. She checked the time on her new commlink and realized she still had an hour before class.

"Wait, it's Monday," she said, excitedly.

Happiness thrilled through her as she went outside to check her mail. Sure enough there were flowers inside, carefully packaged so as not to damage them. She checked the card. It wasn't augmented reality one, but a real card, as it was tradition. It was from Dave. As normal he talked about his week, his kids and wished her well. There was nothing about what happened week so he must have written it yesterday, and she hadn't talked to him after the fact since she'd been sent to the hospital. She smelled the flowers and checked the card for what they were called.

"Daisies," read Fuzzy, and then with more difficulty she sounded out the next words. "Bellis perennis."

She sniffed them, enjoyed their simple fragrance and went back inside. There were half a dozen of them. She put five of them in a jar to add color to her room. Then she prepared her favorite flower out of all of them for pressing into her flower book where she kept all of her choicest flowers as Sasha taught her how to do last year. Finally, she carefully wrapped the card with all the others she'd received before sticking it back in a drawer. She wrote a quick thank you note to Dave and apologized profusely to him for not talking to him after the fact. She wrote that she'd tried her best, and hoped that was good enough. She stuck it in her mail box outside. In an age of texts and instant communication, she wrote letters to her friend which were delivered by mail.

That only ate up five minutes, and so she decided to admire her trophies. Once upon a time her room was absolutely bare. Now it was beginning to fill up with her accomplishments and reminders of good times. On a wall was an electronic picture frame, currently dark. She turned it on and it began to scroll through her favorite pictures: A selfie of her and Sasha, Sasha's lips pressed to Fuzzy's cheek while Fuzzy smiled, one of a deer she'd gotten within five feet of during camera hunting, a picture of Marco handing out stew at church while wearing an enormous apron, Kenji with a hand in front of his face but a smile on his lips, Julie giving Chip a piggyback ride, her murals from Touristville, on and on. She let it play and watched for a time with a smile. When she was done she thumbed through her book of pressed flowers and saw her progression in talent go from terrible to okay, but even the terrible ones stirred pleasant memories inside of her. As did Dave's old cards, and she carefully ran through a few of her favorites, careful not to damage any of them.

After such a horrible weekend she'd needed this. Soon she'd get breakfast and try to take today easy for the day.

Fuzzy and Coach Bolt - Monday, March 18th, 2075 - Morning - Blake Island

"Hey Fuzzy, you feel like a run?" asked Coach Bolt.

Your reply was always yes, especially when the actual answer was no. The older, short human man with the accent her classmates called "Southern" looked bored. His skin was slightly tan, which was about as good as it gets in the Pacific Northwest, and he was dressed in gym shorts which showed off his hairy leg and arms. One leg, not hairy at all, was made of obvious cyberware. His eyes were a perfect blue and looked strange. He didn't blink enough which was unsettling if you thought about it for too long. Those eyes were as fake as his leg and there was an ongoing discussion among the students about what other cyberware he was sporting. His face was lined and his male pattern baldness gave his brown hair a horseshoe shape.

"Yeah Coach," she agreed.

"Good. Run over to the teacher's lounge and go get my dip," he ordered. "Oh, and fetch your swimsuit."

This hadn't been the first time that he'd ordered someone to go get his chewing tobacco. Usually it was someone who displeased him and that gave Fuzzy a sinking feeling in her stomach.

"My what suit?" asked Fuzzy.

"Your school issued swimsuit. It's blue and green. It should be in your cabin somewhere. Go get it," ordered her teacher.

"I uh...I don't know how to swim," admitted Fuzzy.

"I know that. I've read your file. As you're the only one to grace my normally tiny class today, since I've got a class full of slackers, I thought make this an opportunity. All of your other classes are canceled for the day. No need to thank me. That means you're all mine. You and me? We're going to have fun. Now don't forget my dip!" he barked. "Get going! We've got a lot to do today!"

Fuzzy did as she was obliged, but sincerely doubted the part about fun. She ran from the training ground to the teacher's lounge and knocked briefly on the door before entering. There was no one there though. She spied the tiny can of dip and snatched it before she ran back to her cabin. Finding her swimsuit was harder though. It had been squished into a bottom drawer. She was quietly horrified at how much skin it revealed, though almost any other student would think it was conservative. Puppy snuffled at her hopefully and Fuzzy pet him.

"Sorry, Puppy. I'll bring you out for lunch," said Fuzzy.

Puppy whined as she stuffed her swimsuit into her backpack and ran back to the training ground. The training ground was just hard packed earth that would get muddy on rainy days. Dirt or mud, this was where the physical adept students trained. Technically there was a gym, but it was only used on days where the weather was intolerable instead of merely bad. Coach Bolt stood in the middle of it and as Fuzzy ran up to him and gave him his dip.

"Fantastic," he said.

He brought his whistle to his lips and blew.

"Jumping jacks! Go!" he yelled.

Fuzzy warmed up with jumping jacks. She was already warmed up from this morning, so she felt pretty good. He tooted his whistle again.

"Push-ups, go!"

Fuzzy dropped to the ground and began to do push-ups.

"One...Two...Three...Four...Four...Four...Four, keep your back straight Fuzzy. There you go. Five...Six..." he counted.

Fuzzy was ready to stop at thirty, which was normal, but he kept counting. She paused.

"No one said you could stop. Thirty-one..." he continued.

Fuzzy continued on and on. She was light and strong, but eventually her arms grew weak and wobbly. He posture deteriorated and the coach kept counting the same number.

"Seventy-three...Seventy-three...Fuzzy, you going to quit on me or give me ten more?" asked Coach Bolt.

"Yeah, coach," she said, between gritted teeth.

She tried to straighten her posture, but only succeeded in squeezing out two more satisfactory push-ups before he started repeating numbers again. Her muscles screamed in protest and she hit the ground.

"Two ain't ten, Fuzzy," said Coach Bolt. "We'll work on that though. But all right, looks like you're ready for sit-ups. On your back."

Fuzzy groaned.

"That does not sound at all like what I want to hear," said Coach.

"Yes Coach," wheezed Fuzzy.

She rolled onto her back and lacking someone to hold her feet, Coach Bolt pressed the tips of his shoes against the tips of hers to keep her steady. She didn't expect to stop at fifty this time and she was right. However, her core hurt from push-ups and she hadn't recovered yet. She didn't even manage forty before she had to halt to recover and breathe. Coach Bolt didn't immediately chide her to keep going. Instead he reached into his pocket and scooped out a black wad of chewing tobacco from his can of dip. He smacked his lips a few times after placing the wad of the horrible stuff into his mouth and nodded to her.

"Keep going," he drawled.

She was able to get twenty more before her body gave out on her, and the stinging from the bruising on her back from yesterday, a pain she thought was gone this morning rose back to prominence.

"That all you got?" he asked.

Fuzzy tried to give him another sit-up, but her stomach muscles protested and she collapsed back onto the ground, totally spent.

"Yeah Coach," she breathed. "That's all I got."

"Good. Now you're going to have a little break and listen to me. I heard about your shenanigans yesterday. I do not abide one of my students getting beat. I don't care if they're meaner, bigger, tougher, smellier, five of them, ten of them, whatever, you got beat and I don't like that. Now normally I'd have you spar some of the upperclassmen for the rest of the day for your nonsense, but since they're not here it's just you and me," he explained. "You're going to learn to swim. Not as punishment, but because there's been a hole in your training for too long and I don't like that. After lunch we're going to run these trails and spar. I want you tired, because your mind doesn't care how tired your body is. It can still learn even if you're sore, and it will. Go get dressed. Be to the northeast docks in fifteen."

Fifteen minutes later Fuzzy stood at the docks. She did not feel at all comfortable in the swimsuit. Years of instincts in the barrens had taught her to hide her body, and here she was in a swim suit that put her body on display. There were no layers, no padding and no armor, and so she felt exposed. Coach Bolt stood by in swim trunks while Fuzzy folded her arms over her chest.

"You all right, Fuzzy?" asked Coach Bolt.

"I um...Don't like my swim suit, Coach," said Fuzzy, anxiously. "I don't like people looking at me."

He nodded his head.

"I thought there might be some problems which is why I picked today. Glad I was right. I'm not people though. I'm your Coach. You'll feel better once you get in the water. Most of you will be covered when you get in," he said. "You ever been in the water before?"

Fuzzy shook her head.

"Right," he said, and his face softened slightly. "I'll be here. You don't have anything to worry about with me around. Today we're just going to get you used to the water."

He handed her some sort of wide, blue, lightweight board.

"What's this?" asked Fuzzy.

"It's a kick board," said Coach.

Fuzzy and Coach Bolt - Monday, March 18th, 2075 - Afternoon - Blake Island

Coach Bolt had been right. She'd felt better about her body when she was in the water. Not because it covered her, but because it was cold and therefor distracting. On the bright side, the Puget Sound's waves were fairly calm today, but occasionally she'd still get water up her nose. As it turned out, Coach had nose plugs. The salty water also stung her eyes and as it turned out he also had goggles. However, he didn't provide them to her until their lack actually impeded her progress. Fuzzy learned how to float by holding her breath, how to kick her legs with the kick board and how to move through the water when Coach Bolt held her hands for the rest of her body to stretch out. In time she learned to fear the water just a little less than before.

She ended the lesson and was tired by the end of it. She changed, showered and went to lunch. She dully remembered being spoken to, but she otherwise ate her hot dogs and drank her cola mechanically. An hour later she was almost feeling human again when she returned to the training grounds.

"Catch," said Coach Bolt.

He underhand tossed her something black, and as it turned out she was holding her spearknife in its staff form. She stared at it blankly for a few seconds before she realized what it was.

"Wait, I'm fighting with real weapons?" asked Fuzzy.

"God no," said Coach. "No, you're going to morph that into its practice form when I say so. You'll use the blunted spear and blunted knife just like I showed you last month. If you stab me I'm going to be mad. I don't like getting stabbed."

He itched at his cybernetic leg, and that drew her eyes to his arm. Coach Bolt wore what looked like extensive padding on his arms, along with particularly heavy padding near the hands.

"We're going trail running. You lead the way," he said. "You use that danger sense I taught you to figure out when I'm about to whack you in the head from behind. If you don't figure it out you get whacked and we keep running. If you do dodge you use those reflexes of yours and you try to beat me as fast as possible. Don't take too long. Got it?"

Fuzzy glowered, but eventually answered.

"Got it, Coach," said Fuzzy.

"Good. Switch to your practice knife, do your stretches and we'll go."

They did their stretches for a few minutes and when they were done she and Coach Bolt took off. Fuzzy was used to running and her muscles were no longer sore from her early morning workout. Swimming had been taxing, but she'd had time to warm up so she was almost physically fresh, but mentally tired. She ran for about fifteen minutes before she felt the hair on the back of her neck prickle. She ducked and he attacked with those pads on his hands and arms. With her enhanced reflexes she jumped away before bounding forward again to strike at him. He dodged the blade with a half step backwards as it flicked outwards.

"Switch to spear!" he yelled.

Without thinking she ran her will through the blade and it responded to her as it became a blunted spear. She both attacked and fended him off from a distance now. He attempted to slap the spear's shaft away to strike her, but to no avail. He stepped away briefly and pointed.

"Keep running! No stopping!" he barked.

The exchange lasted less than fifteen seconds. Now it was over and so she ran. They repeated this process over and over. Her body grew tired as time marched on. Run, feel the attack, spar, switch weapons, repeat. Run, feel the attack, spar, switch weapons, repeat. The pace was grueling. When it seemed like it was too much they'd stop, have a quick drink and chat.

"So why...Are we doing this?" asked Fuzzy between breaths.

Coach Bolt was breathing hard, but he wasn't panting like Fuzzy was.

"Weapon training. It seems that you're destined for trouble, so I'm teaching you some tricks," said Coach Bolt. "I'm not allowed to teach you combat magic until your third year so instead I'm teaching you to use what you have. Most people don't expect a weapon to change from one form to another. It's surprising. On top of that we're working on your danger sense and improved reflexes so you can handle your magic without thinking about it. I'm drilling those new senses and reflexes into your head so you can use them safely."

Fuzzy drank greedily from her canteen. She took too long guzzling down that water and gasped at the end.

"All right. That makes sense," said Fuzzy.

"What I'm happier with is the fact that you're ignoring my feints. I've been taking fake swipes at you to see what you do. Anyway, two more minutes and we'll get moving again," said Coach Bolt.

"Two more-" she exclaimed, but bit back the comment a second too late.

"Eager to get going?" he said, and smiled wickedly.

"Yes coach," she groaned.

That was their day. Run, duck the sneak attack, spar, switch weapons and repeat. Sometimes they'd stop for water breaks, to have a snack or to chat. Fuzzy listened despite sucking wind. If she didn't have answers they'd run, so she tried her best to always have answers. If he liked her answers he'd ask more questions which allowed her to recover more and so so she did her best to answer as best she could.

In the last fight a duplicate of the coach tried to attack her as he did which was a momentary surprise. He knew the value of a good illusion just like Fuzzy did, though his were better. She was able to tell the difference between the two. She wasn't sure how, she just felt it, but found herself unable to ignore the fake coach's jabs despite knowing they weren't real. However, distracted by sustaining the spell and sparring like he was he made a mistake. She whipped her staff through the fake coach and into the side of the real one. He grunted and Fuzzy's mouth twisted into a feral grin as she hit for the first time after repeatedly getting whacked by those pads. However, she left her spear out for a second too long. He gripped it and gave it a yank to pull her off balance. She dodged out of the way before he pulled her in far enough to hit her and without thinking she changed her spear into a knife to twist it out of his grip.

"Clever," he said. "That's a real knife though, not a practice one. Twenty push-ups. Go."

Fuzzy and Coach Bolt - Monday, March 18th, 2075 - Late afternoon - Blake Island

Fuzzy was exhausted, sore, drenched in sweat and covered in grit and grass stains. She bent over at the waist as she tried to catch her wind. On top of that there was a terrible cramp in her side.

"No bending over. Keep your back straight when you want to catch your breath," ordered Coach Bolt. "You don't get your wind back as fast all bent over like that."

Without thinking, Fuzzy straightened up.

"Commlink," he said.

She handed it to him. He pulled out his own and connected them by a wire before handing it back to her.

"There," said Coach Bolt. "I know you go running in the morning. I've talked to Julian and you'll be allowed to take your weapon out on runs so long as you check it back in when you're done. At least for the length of your training, so about two weeks. Maybe more if you're a slow learner. I installed an app onto your commlink which will randomly create an augmented reality attacker once you start running. It'll be different than what we do here though. Since I can't engage that danger sense from a program there will be a sound cue and not everyone will be an attacker so don't just strike out at everything. It's good to curb those instincts now so you don't hurt someone later. It'll log your results, so take it seriously. This is for a grade."

"Did you make it?" asked Fuzzy.

"Nope. I found it and developed our training around it. It was a happy accident," he said.

That ended the training with Coach Bolt for the day. She was tired, dirty, sore, sweaty and felt like she needed two showers. However, she didn't have enough energy in her to think and that was good. After she was clean she collected some clothing from her cabin as well as some toiletries, clipped Puppy's leash to his collar and made her way towards the docks as she prepared to have her first spring break ever. She napped against Sasha's shoulder on the boat and didn't dream at all.

CYOA Time

So Fuzzy has been having quite the day. We're going to turn away from her for a little bit and focus on other characters. Two of them, specifically. Thread's choice. Let me know which two characters in the story you want to see (not at the same time unless it makes sense) and I'll do a write-up.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 24, 2018