Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
Stun Bolt, Improved Logic, in that order. If Minuet dies down here, someone's going to prison for it, no matter how justified it is. And even beyond that, if Minuet dies down here, there's no way that they get to keep their own police force. Knight Errant will use the event to roll in with jackboots to everyone's neck.

If Minuet dies, Julie's home is gone, in more ways than one, that's for drat sure, and most importantly Manabolt does not have more stopping power than Stunbolt. Stun is the only right choice.

This isn't a situation where the deadly option is the one most likely to see you too safety alive. This is a situation where the deadly option is you choosing to kill rather than subdue for the sake of killing itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

eh gently caress it, let's go with
1 Mana bolt
2 Increase logic

I'd rather Minuet carry the risk of an accidental crit than one of our friends

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Stunbolt isn't as effective as manabolt here, because it won't put enough stun damage on Minuet to fully KO her. A manabolt plus an intimidate check (which we are very good at - it's like our one good skill and we're almost guaranteed to succeed) will get her to surrender without having to kill her, which is what the option is. The downside is that if we roll a crit she straight up dies, which is bad, but that's the risk we run. We either risk Minuet's life and hope we don't get a crit, or we risk the lives of our friends. I don't want Minuet to die, but if we roll bad and she does I will be a whole lot less upset than if we take another option and bad rolls kill someone we actually like.

TL;DR Manabolt vs. stunbolt isn't necessarily about kill/stun, it's about choosing who has a risk of dying - Minuet or our friends. Because no matter what somebody is gonna be at risk of death. We just choose who.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Serious question following up crazycryodude's post. Can Minuet actually tell the difference between being hit by a Stun or Mana Bolt? As I understand it, they're both just invisible forces that cause the side effect of pain. Unless she's directly assensing, I don't see how she'd have had enough experience with pain to know the difference.

Anyway, if we're going for an Intimidate instead of a kill, I strongly recommend framing it as a 'warning shot;' keep the Force low enough that she actually can't kill the girl, not that Minuet would realize that fact.

A Force 3 Mana Bolt won't be killing any uninjured person, since any hits after the first 3 would get ignored.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

jagadaishio posted:

Serious question following up crazycryodude's post. Can Minuet actually tell the difference between being hit by a Stun or Mana Bolt? As I understand it, they're both just invisible forces that cause the side effect of pain. Unless she's directly assensing, I don't see how she'd have had enough experience with pain to know the difference.

Anyway, if we're going for an Intimidate instead of a kill, I strongly recommend framing it as a 'warning shot;' keep the Force low enough that she actually can't kill the girl, not that Minuet would realize that fact.

A Force 3 Mana Bolt won't be killing any uninjured person, since any hits after the first 3 would get ignored.

Yes. Stun bolt actually wouldn't make her feel pain. She'd just feel sleepy. Mana bolt would necrotize her flesh. She'd definitely notice the difference. If she wasn't physically hit by it she'd know something happened but Julie won't be able to get bonuses to intimidate. She has to grab her attention because it's so drat loud in the room.

As for lowering force, Julie has never been in combat before so she's going full force. She's had months of training in how to control her spells, but that training was not training for proper use of force. It was to teach her control. Even if it was military or police style training the obvious answer would be to put her down as hard as she can as fast as she can. However, Julie has received no such training and so she can make her own choices rather than fall back on training. She received safety classes in how to use her spells properly and was given stun bolt because Julian hoped she wouldn't reach for the lethal option because she had a choice between lethal and non-lethal. Julie is her own person though. She makes her own choices. Her training for combat isn't hard wired into her muscle memory.

I'm going narrative over dice in this point. Julie can easily win by intimidating her after injuring her because she needs to get her attention first. If that was the choice there'd be no choice. It'd be mana bolt her and roll. The threat of killing Minuet is what makes the choice less obvious. It's a serious risk either way.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 13, 2017

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

gently caress. In that case, I vote for Plan Warning Shot. Begrudgingly.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

But remember, Mana Bolt is not just taking the risk of Minuet dying, it's the risk of this new community we're in getting some serious jackboot action on their neck, not to mention Julie's self-image taking a hit (yeah, she's 100% justified, but killing someone at this day will be extremely painful) And even in the best case where Minuet does not die and surrenders after getting hit with lethal force, that's gonna have its own costs.

It's not simply about Minuet's life VS our friends' life. It's our community's wellbeing and Julie's mental state VS the risk to her friends' lives.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Shogeton posted:

1: Increase Logic
2: Stun Bolt

Good effing Grief Charlie Brown, that escalated quickly.

Don't. Kill. Minuet!!!

For those voting Mana Bolt, why??? Ya'll wanted Julie to have a life down in Touristville, and now, you want to risk the entire story arc based on a die roll? Why???

Maybe the Mana Bolt will kill her, maybe it won't. You cast a lethal combat spell at her, and there will be consequences; Horizon will move to protect one of their own (right or wrong, it doesn't matter if you try to kill one of them) instead of disowning her for trying to start a race riot.

Shogeton posted:

It's not simply about Minuet's life VS our friends' life. It's our community's wellbeing and Julie's mental state VS the risk to her friends' lives.

THIS. We're not saving Minuet, we're saving Touristville, and, we're redeeming Julie because the last time she cast Mana Bolt, she didn't know what she was doing. Now, she knows better, and she's going to make a better choice.

Vote:

1: Increase Logic
2: Stun Bolt

You want total victory, you show the Corp Princess just how 'off the reservation' she is at this point.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Beating the ever-loving poo poo out of racists with any and all tools available to make sure they can't murder your friends is always the better choice :colbert:

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 13, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

They're going to be short chapters so I'm writing up the kill/no kill versions so I'm ready to go when everyone votes. Current tallies are thus:

Stunbolt/Improve Logic (basically the non-lethal path): Shogeton, Jagadaishio, Hexenritter, VanSandman, Nothingtoseehere, CourValant

Manabolt and intimidate (Potentially lethal path): Crazycryodude, Sheep Dodger, Mr. Apollo, HiHo ChiRho, Chatrapati.

Toughy I'm not sure about.

Currently I see the votes locked at 5 kill and 6 no kill. If I'm wrong please let me know.

The stakes are thus:

Fuzzy is getting snapped at by spirits and Minuet is drawing her gun on Fuzzy. Marco has been shot, though we don't know how bad he is because we'd need to assess the damage. Julie can choose to stun her, increase her logic to make her see reason or use mana bolt, hope it doesn't kill her and intimidate her to stand down. She's pretty much a shoe in to win an intimidation test with 18 dice. However, once again, having more than half our dice in successes means Minuet dies. Normally it doesn't work that way, but Julie is pretty powerful as she's done it before to her father. I'm the sort of GM where story trumps dice every time and this is one of those moments. I believe it's 100% fair so long as I inform everyone of the consequences instead of dropping it on them unexpectedly. Everyone is in some serious danger at the present. Except for Chip. Chip is pretty much immortal.

I feel like writing and I already rolled for both scenarios. They're both complete and I'll say nothing about whether they're good or bad. Depending on what we do one gets posted and one gets deleted without me saying whatever happens in said alternate timeline. Again I do my best to stay neutral during thread choices. I'm not perfect at this, but I do my best. You're all my co-writers after all. I string words together and you fine folks give me direction.

That said, I'm going to close voting at 11pm tomorrow EST so everyone can have a chance to chime in as many have probably already gone to bed. This is an important decision and I'd like more votes rather than less. I know that some of you are particularly attached to the stories and its characters, but please be respectful of those in the thread and in discord. Tempers can run high. Remember that this is just a story. Conflict is interesting to me, but not conflict between participants in the thread.

That said, argue away so long as arguments are respectful. If you want to convince others to your cause one way or the other you're all 100% allowed to change your votes as many times as you feel like it before 11pm EST.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 13, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

I know that some of you are particularly attached to the stories and its characters, but please be respectful of those in the thread and in discord. Tempers can run high. Remember that this is just a story. Conflict is interesting to me, but not conflict between participants in the thread.

That said, argue away so long as arguments are respectful. If you want to convince others to your cause one way or the other you're all 100% allowed to change your votes as many times as you feel like it before 11pm EST.

Agreed. :respek:

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

if it's down to two choices I say Mana bolt intimidate, still think Chip incapacitating her is best.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The problem with relying on goons is that we are often petty and shortsighted.

Is that who Julie is right now? I don’t think so.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Improve Logic/Stunbolt

No matter what Minuet does she's hosed, but if she dies Julie's hosed too. And possibly Fuzzy and Kenji.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Yeah, you know what, I'm going back to Stunbolt/Improved Logic. Manabolt is just guaranteed to get a whole lot more people killed in the medium and long term. Horizon will crush the crew and turn the Underground inside out if we kill her.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Okay, it looks like the vote is currently 7 logic/stun (non-lethal) and 6 mana bolt and intimidate (potentially lethal). Remember that we're still going until 11pm EST tonight for votes. I have a framework for what happens in both scenarios so I won't immediately post what happens. If we tie I'll flip a coin on random.org for all to see.

I'll take runoffs into account as well as I'm seeing one mana bolt/logic in particular.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Stun her, let Chip make Fuzzy faster, let Fuzzy deck the poo poo out of her.

I admit that I actually do want to kill her, because stupid that deep should be allowed to die. But, keeping her alive at this point would be a fate worse than death. She will be the worst sort of pariah, the kind not even enemies would touch with a stick. Worse than an outcast, she will be a laughing stock, and she will reflect that shame to her family. Unless they happen to be high level execs, they will be fired in disgrace. Any company assets will be seized and they will be thrown on the street with nothing.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Stun bolt, then get Chip to Influence her.

Killing her might be more pragmatic in a purely preventative measure against her hurting more people, but I think she should take her own well being into account as well. She's still a kid, and having one self defense kill under her belt doesn't mean another one won't be traumatic.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Yess! I've caught up!!!! :toot:

Xarbala posted:

Improve Logic/Stunbolt

No matter what Minuet does she's hosed, but if she dies Julie's hosed too. And possibly Fuzzy and Kenji.
I vote this!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

GenericGirlName posted:

I vote this!

Welcome! Hey, I remember you from Discord, looks like you 'binged' this after all!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

GenericGirlName posted:

Welcome! You should vote to make sure Fuzzy decks the poo poo out of this racist corporate princesd. You all should vote that. :whip:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Welcome! You should vote to make sure Fuzzy decks the poo poo out of this racist corporate princesd. You all should vote that. :whip:

I'm considering the non-lethal option to be the 'Fuzzy Decking Her' option as well; I'll leave the actual resolution of the scene in the very capable hands of Ice.

Just have it like the ending of Avengers: Age of Ultron, where Loki wakes up and sees the entire team looming over him.

Offer Minuet a drink, there's plenty in the house.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Yea I was definitely assuming that non violence from Julie will still result in violence from fuzzy.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

All right. It's a little past 11PM EST. Here are the votes as I've counted them:

No kill Improve Logic: Shogeton (stunbolt), Hexenritter, CourValant (Stun), Xarbala (stun), GenericGirlName (stun)

No kill Stunbolt: Nothingtoseehere (logic), Vansandman, Jagadaisho (logic), Deadmeat (Make Fuzzy faster), Bear Enthusiast (influence)

Mana bolt: Cryo (stun), Chatrapti, HihoChiRho, Toughy, Mr. Apollo (stun), Sheep-Dodger (increase logic),

Technically improve logic and stunbolt are in a dead heat for second place. However there are more stun votes than improve logic votes as second votes. With the runoff I put Shogeton, CourValant, Xarbala and GenericGirlName in the stun category which pushes it up to 9 votes v 6 votes to use mana bolt and intimidate. I didn't want to count Hexenritter in the stun category because it wasn't explicitly stun. I wanted to be fair. For contentious votes in the future I'm going to use runoffs as well. First past the post is crappy. Normally I handle this by using the "yes, and" rule of improv, but these were all explicitly different choices. Except to speak to Chip. Julie can talk to him for free. I'll see if he understands what she wants him to do from a free action command instead of an explicit command which would eat up her turn.

Third parties don't get to split the vote. Instead they get to compete. This is a better run democracy. :colbert:

Julie leads with stun bolt and is going to tell Chip to influence Minuet. Everyone else is doing their own thing. Non-lethal and potentially lethal were both rolled so the turn around may be tonight. I won't be happened in the mana bolt timeline as that will color people's opinions going forward. I will not confirm nor deny if what happened to Minuet was good or bad so please don't ask. I appreciate the other voters' honest opinions and don't want to color them going forward. Writing now.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 14, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Julie, Marco, Kenji, Fuzzy, Sasha, Chip and Minuet - Sunday, March 10th, 2075 - Touristville, Julie’s Home

Julie’s ears rang at the sound of the gunshot. She felt the sound and resulting pressure wave from the sound on the stone walls on her skin, against her eyes and even in her teeth. Someone was screaming. She realized it was her. Marco had tried to talk Minuet down and she’d shot him for his trouble. She’d seen the sudden jerk of his body from behind as he shielded her. To her left was Sasha, her taser in her hands. To her right was Chip who urgently looked to her for instruction. In front of her was Marco, who still hadn’t recovered from being shot though he was still standing. Fuzzy was bounding forward. Julie was still screaming as she readied a spell.

In her repertoire were two attack spells: One spell that would kill by necrotizing the flesh and one that would potentially put a target to sleep. They were normally called mana bolt and stun bolt. She’d never been taught the first spell. She’d spontaneously cast it, which was rare and strange, but not unheard of. After all, spells have to come from somewhere. It had been part of her. However, Julian had taught her the stun bolt spell. He’d told her that one day she’d reach for her magic and he’d like her to have a choice whether to kill or not. By knowing mana bolt she’d always been armed and that was a burden. She had the choice to injure or even kill Minuet. However that wasn’t her only choice.

“Chip, stop her!” Julie screamed.

Fuzzy ramped up the troll sized chair and jumped. Minuet’s spirits snapped at her but she was too high for them. Dog, cat and snake spirits all leaped upwards, but the dog's snaps were too short and the cat collided with the snake. The cat was tangled with the snake by the time they hit the floor. Minuet’s gun turned on Fuzzy. In that strange moment of clarity as Julie moved around Marco and exposed herself to gunfire, she could clearly see the panic and fear on Minuet’s face. Julie focused on the formula, rammed everything she had into the spell. She overcasted despite the damage it could potentially do to her, and lobbed the spell at Minuet. A white luminescent bolt struck Minuet in the chest. It was a stun bolt. Minuet’s feet wobbled and her head swayed as she nearly fell asleep. It bought Fuzzy that extra second that she needed. Her arm cocked back and with a savage warcry she punched Minuet in the face as she descended from her jump. Fuzzy lead with her fist and Minuet’s spirits disappeared as their summoner went unconscious. There was a spray of blood and Julie, still in that strange state of mind where time slows down; saw something that would stick with her for the rest of her days. Minuet's teeth went flying out of her head. Not one tooth, not some teeth, most if not all of her teeth were knocked out of her head by a perfect hit. It was a punch to sing a song about. Minuet toppled backwards as Fuzzy crashed into the table and soaked them both with sticky, purple juice. Tortilla chips fell on them soon after from a second bowl. Chip blurred forward, Kenji shouted out a command, Marco continued to stand, Fuzzy got back to her feet in a fighting stance, but it was all over. Minuet was out cold. Julian, Mother Bear, Duncan and Beef all rushed into Julie’s house, but they were too late to do anything but add to the confusion. The hard part was over. Now it was time for the gears of the justice system, rusty as they were, to begin to turn. It was time for questions, healing and an investigation.

No CYOA yet. I just thought I wouldn't make everyone wait. I'm writing the aftermath now. Julie and Fuzzy got lucky with good hits and Fuzzy lucked out by dodging all the spirits which would have jammed up her attack and said spirits would have torn into her as they took her to the ground. Minuet was about half way down the initiative list. Everyone lucked out.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 14, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Combat:

Julie rolls stun bolt. 9 dice, but she really wants to juice up the spell with edge so 11 dice, reroll 6’s.

8 hits, but all stun. No maximum limit due to her spell. Julie takes needs 5 hits to resist physical drain. She gets 4 hits on 10 dice (willpower 5 + charisma 5). 1 physical drain, ow, but not too bad though it can’t be healed by anything but time, and not medkits or heal spells.

Minuet resists none of it with 3 dice on willpower. She’s too angry and panicked to roll counterspelling which could have taken some of the sting out of Julie's stun bolt. She’s taken 2 stun damage already from summoning the third spirit so she’s at 10 stun and that means she’s at -3 to all actions and is all but falling down at this point as she has 1 hit point left. She's still dangerous with that gun and those spirits though despite her fatigue.

(Forgot to add in here, but Fuzzy rolls and dodges all three spirits at 0, -1 and -2 to dodge successfully. Can't find the notes for it, but one of them crit glitched).

Fuzzy rolls 6 dice normally (agility 5 + unarmed combat 1+ but also + 2 for charging + 4 more for pre-edging for a total of 12. She really wants to hit Minuet. She gets 5 hits. I reroll failures because again, she REALLY wants to hit Minuet. 5 more hits. 14 stun damage (10 hits + 4 strength). Unarmed combat is always stun damage though unless you have a weapon or adept powers or whatever. Minuet has no chance to dodge. She's too hosed up to dodge 10 hits even with a critical on 3 total dice. She is overwhelmed.

She was wearing armor this time though, so she’ll get to resist some damage. She has 2 dice for body plus 6 dice for armor clothing – 3 for being fatigued. She gets 2 hits. She takes 12 stun damage. 11 boxes of that damage are overflow, half rounded (I guess?) down to physical damage. I brushed up on the rules. So 5 physical damage

KAPOW.

Minuet’s perfect teeth spray all over Julie’s living room as Fuzzy Superman punches her to end the fight. For laughs Minuet loses 5d6 teeth, 1 die for each box of physical overflow. Let’s roll that poo poo. Minuet loses 18 23 teeth as she gets walloped (GenericGirlName rolled a 5 when asked. Thread participation! :toot:) . Luckily there is a clinic on site. Guess who is going to be Julie’s inaugural patient? Minuet is out cold and her spirits disappear as she loses consciousness.

Fuzzy, Julie, Sasha and Marco, though not Kenji (as he was Edward and their commlink should not be compromised as it's full of messages between Kenji/Edward) recorded EVERYTHING and for the second time Fuzzy goes viral as she watched a corporate princess be a spoiled princess on camera, get rebuked, get laughed at, try to start a race riot, get shut down by her hired security team whose leader is also an ork which Minuet never seemed to think about, chase Minuet into Julie’s house obviously breaking and entering and she’s summoned hostile spirits in someone’s house, she pulls a gun, watches as Marco tries to talk to her down, Minuet panics and shoots him anyway and Fuzzy bounds off Marco’s chair, clears the snapping spirits, is overtaken by a stunbolt which hits Minuet which gives her the perfect opportunity to punch her. She punches the corporate princess’ teeth out of her head to end the fight. Julie and Fuzzy ended the fight with more than enough restraint which is just enough restrain to come out of this relatively unscathed. Marco is unhurt as he was wearing armor clothing and he’s built like a truck. He’ll have bruises in the morning, but Julie will get the worst of it. Why? Well, troll sized hickies from aggressively making out don’t get removed by a heal spell. Who knew? Well, young shaman healers with hickies on their necks, that’s who. Julie has a lot to learn it seems. Luckily turtle necks were still appropriate for the season.

End combat.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 19, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Collect up those teefs and make Fuzzy a trophy necklace

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

No CYOA yet. I just thought I wouldn't make everyone wait. I'm writing the aftermath now. Julie and Fuzzy got lucky with good hits and Fuzzy lucked out by dodging all the spirits which would have jammed up her attack and said spirits would have torn into her as they took her to the ground. Minuet was about half way down the initiative list. Everyone lucked out.

Well thank goodness for that.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Minuet’s perfect teeth spray all over Julie’s living room as Fuzzy Superman punches her to end the fight.

Fuzzy's going to need another nickname - Black Stick Princess Teeth

Ice Phisherman posted:

For laughs Minuet loses 5d6 teeth, 1 die for each box of physical overflow. Let’s roll that poo poo. Minuet loses 18 23 teeth as she gets walloped

Are there even that many teeth in a person's mouth?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Luckily there is a clinic on site. Guess who is going to be Julie’s inaugural patient?

AHAHAHAHA. BWAHAHAHAHA. This genuinely made me laugh out loud.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Fuzzy, Julie, Sasha and Marco, though not Kenji (as he was Edward and their commlink should not be compromised as it's full of messages between Kenji/Edward) recorded EVERYTHING . . .

I want to see this four-way split screen time-sync'ed compilation video.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Marco is unhurt as he was wearing armor clothing and he’s built like a truck.

Of course he had armored clothing. Spoiled Jerk Corp Prince . . . /grumble

Ice Phisherman posted:

He’ll have bruises in the morning, but Julie will get the worst of it. Why? Well, troll sized hickies from aggressively making out don’t get removed by a heal spell. Who knew? Well, young shaman healers with hickies on their necks, that’s who. Julie has a lot to learn it seems. Luckily turtle necks were still appropriate for the season.

Oh Come. ON!!! After all that Julie still doesn't climb Mount Marco!!? I know we're not going there, and, I call BS!! I'm throwing metaphorical popcorn and soda at the screen!!! Boo-Urns!!!!!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Yes! And Fuzzy gets the the knockout blow! Moving posters are a real thing in SR, and I suspect within a week there will be a gif of Fuzzy slowly descending and teeth spraying posted not only all over the Underground, but Seattle too.

And that kind of tooth loss has got to do some serious jaw damage. Even with healing magic, SOMEbody is going to ne eating through a straw for a while.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Fuzzy and Sasha - Sunday, March 10th, 2075 – Afternoon - Touristville, Crossroads Clinic

“I’m covered in juice,” complained Fuzzy.

“Yeah, but you covered Minuet in punch,” punned Sasha.

The two girls giggled for a while. In fact it was far more joyous than normal an it even a little manic. They were both high on the feeling of being alive. They were also high on the endorphin rush that came from aggressively making out inside of one of the clinic’s two examination rooms. Sasha had a few bad minutes as she had a panic attack, but she’d been taking her pills and knew what was happening to her this time rather than being blindsided by what felt like a heart attack. With the help of a dark room, Fuzzy’s quiet touch and prior treatment for her condition, Sasha’s panic attack was brief and far less intense than before. She was not only being treated for it, but she knew what it was and how to deal with it. The first time is always the worst. She was still shook up, but obviously not so shook up to keep from wisecracking or kissing her girlfriend.

“So what happens now?” asked Fuzzy.

Sasha pursed her lips. She’d gotten some juice on her from Fuzzy but only now noticed. She looked down at her designer armored clothing and shrugged.

“Now? Probably a pissing match between the local…Uh…Police and Knight-Errant when they get down here,” said Sasha. “Then we get interviewed. You’ll have access to my family’s lawyers and top of that the police won’t dare be anything but nice to you. I’ll make sure of it.”

“Pissing match?” asked Fuzzy, dubiously.

“Oh, right, you’re not good with turns of phrase. Well, it’s a cop phrase. It means that they’ll face off over who gets to police the area and who doesn’t. It’s called jurisdiction. The local…Uh…Police…Actually don’t have a security contract. They’re basically an armed gang. They don’t have any rights to police or arrest people. Knight-Errant will get down here eventually, but it’ll take time. Since Marco, Minuet and I were down here though it won’t take as much time as you think. There were three representatives of three of the biggest corporations in the world in Julie’s apartment in a firefight. It’s going to be a total poo poo show.”

Sasha winced and sighed before she continued.

“I really hope I didn’t get Duncan or Beef fired or demoted. I’m going to probably have to beg my dad not to do it. It’s my fault for slipping away,” she said, sadly. “They’re great body guards and Beef is a family friend. I don’t want to do that to him. Duncan is all right too.”

“I was there. You had nothing to worry about. Tell him that,” boasted Fuzzy, and she waggled her eyebrows at her girlfriend. “I’ll guard your body any time.”

Sasha blushed and cleared her throat. The frown that had been brewing on Sasha’s face turned into a shy smile.

“I believe you,” Sasha said, quietly.

“Love you.”

“Love you too,” said Sasha.

Their talking break now over; the two young women went back to aggressively making out. They were teenagers in love after all and the Knight-Errant police weren’t yet here to take their statements. There was time enough for love.

Julie and Mother Bear - Sunday, March 10th, 2075 – Afternoon - Touristville, Crossroads Clinic

In a strange twist of fate Minuet was Crossroad Clinic’s inaugural patient. However, she was immediately seen by neither Mother Bear nor Julie, but Devin Faris as he was the closest doctor who was far enough removed from Minuet to have legal cover. He hadn’t even touched her save to check her vitals. If patients were compared to disasters Minuet would be nuclear and Devin did a good and brave thing in even seeing her. A Docwagon team showed up. They were billed as the world’s best first responders to those who had money. They were there within five minutes of being called, two of which was getting into Touristville itself. Men in white uniforms rechecked her vitals and briefly moved her to the Crossroads Clinic for triage before they stuck the unconscious teenager on a stretcher.

“drat shame your house is a crime scene,” griped Mother Bear. “You could get her teeth.”

“What?” asked Julie, startled. “Ew, why?”

Mother Bear shot Julie a look. Then she grinned and shrugged.

“Magic is why, kiddo. All the teachers knew about the bullying with you and Minuet. We’d all talked to her but she kept pushing. The rivalry is strong between you two. A trophy that’s taken from a defeated foe in combat makes for powerful foci. You said you had a hand in defeating her, right?” she asked.

Julie nodded, warily.

“Right. Normally I wouldn’t suggest this, but Minuet being expelled is going to be the least of her problems. Or my problems, poo poo, the paperwork,” she groaned. “Anyway, those teeth wouldn’t work for Fuzzy since she wasn’t Fuzzy’s rival, but she was your rival. The stronger the rivalry the more powerful you can make a foci. You beat her in combat. Not one on one combat so it won’t be crazy powerful, and you told me you didn’t deliver the final blow, but still, combat. Back in my day combat shamans used to take trophies from fallen foes. They helped keep us alive on the battlefield. Officially that’s discouraged, and we don’t tolerate it on the island, but if the teeth are already knocked out of her head, well…Anyway, Peters could do it.”

“I thought he just made magic items from reagents around Blake Island. You know, rocks, plants, shells, bones and stuff,” said Julie.

“You’re half right,” said Mother Bear as she raised a gnarled finger. “Minuet Lemieux was and is still technically a Blake Island student, you developed your rivalry on Blake Island and she faced down a bunch of students from Blake Island in open combat. It didn’t happen on the island so it wouldn’t be as powerful, but still, it’s a strong connection. Peters could make something powerful out of that. You could save it for a few years and make a combat foci out of it or you could use it as the basis for something stronger.”

“Somehow I don’t think I’d want to wear her teeth,” said Julie, dubiously. “Also it would look bad.”

“Yeah, it probably would. I wish you could though. You’d be a testament to the hubris of the powerful. It’s best not to thumb your nose at them too hard though. They take offense easily. The rest of the students aren’t as dumb as Minuet, but some are just as vindictive, and some more so. Anyway, we can just grind them up and shape them into something if you’re squeamish,” said Mother Bear, and a ghost of a smile played on her face.

Julie was stunned for a moment. It felt so inappropriate to treat Minuet that way. To steal her teeth, grind them up and use them to empower her spells. It was so bizarre that Julie couldn’t help but giggle. Mother Bear guffawed with her for a time with her. Eventually they both stopped laughing and wiped away tears from their eyes. This was Mother Bear’s sense of humor and Julie had to admit she was beginning to get a taste for it.

“I should check up on Marco again,” said Julie, her tone now serious.

“He’ll be okay. Minuet used a 9 millimeter round on a troll center mass while he wore armor clothing. If she used a heavier caliber gun or some specialty rounds and he might have been wounded, but trolls have thick skin. He’ll just have bruise,” said Mother Bear, offhandedly.

“I meant more that he might need emotional support,” said Julie.

“Oh, that. You should go, but being shot will be good for him,” she said.

Julie’s head jerked back and her eyebrows knitted together as she pulled a face.

“What? Why?” she asked, horrified.

“Well, he didn’t die and it didn’t penetrate his armor. He gets the benefits of being shot with few of the drawbacks. Getting shot and surviving really straightens out your priorities in life. It’s not often that you get to have life affirming moments. I don’t suggest getting shot or shot at on purpose, but if life gives you lemons…” lead on Mother Bear.

“Make lemonade,” finished Julie.

Mother Bear smiled wickedly.

“Actually, you find he guy whose life is giving him vodka and you have a party,” teased Mother Bear.

“Um…Mother Bear?” asked Julie.

“Yeah, kid?”

“Has anyone ever told you that you’re a little…Um…Not trying to be offensive but…Has anyone told you that you’re a little weird sometimes?”

Mother Bear nodded sagely and patted Julie on the shoulder.

“The army does that to you,” said Mother Bear.

“Oh…Um…Okay. Hey, I have a question,” said Julie.

“Shoot,” said Mother Bear. “God, I want a cigarette. Haven’t had one in twenty years and I still want one. Never start smoking, Julie.”

“Right…Well…Not that I want to, but could we have put her teeth back in?” asked Julie.

Mother Bear looked at Julie dubiously at first and frowned.

“Is this a hypothetical?” she asked.

“Maybe,” said Julie, quickly.

“We could have. The wounds would still be open though it would be painful getting them back in and in the right places. You’d need dental records or a lot of luck. Good luck finding them though. If we’d healed her up beforehand we would’ve sealed up the wounds, but that’s just begging for a lawsuit. No way am I touching her unless she’s dying. She has about two hours to get all those teeth back in her head before they die, and that’s if they’re put in milk. Good luck getting any of them back in her head since your house is going to be a crime scene. I think that she had more teeth on the ground than in her head. I took a look at her and wow did she ever get hosed up. Remind me never to get punched by Fuzzy.”

“Oh wow,” said Julie with a wince, “I mean I don’t feel bad for her, but that really sucks.”

Mother Bear’s smile grew wide and smug.

“What’s worse is that prosthetics will mess up her essence. Her connection to her soul will be damaged if she gets too many prosthetics inside of her. Cyberware, bioware, even extensive reconstructive surgery can damage one’s essence which will permanently screw up her ability to cast magic. She can have dentures though. Let her be an object lesson, Julie. Take care of your body. You only have one of it. Also listen to your teachers. Anyway, are you a good enough of a person to put her teeth back after everything she did to you and your friends?” she asked.

Julie thought about it, but it didn’t take long. She shook her head.

“No, are you?” she asked before she could stop herself.

“Nope. Stupid almost always sorts itself out in the end. I just wish it didn’t have to sort itself out with you around. Anyway, no way are they hauling Marco down the local precinct for questioning. Three high ranking megacorp teens all involved in a shooting. Holy hell. Some poor detective’s butthole is going to need the Jaws of Life to unpucker,” she said with a laugh.

“The army did this to you, huh?” asked Julie, dubiously.

She’d never heard Mother Bear talk so freely before. She looked a full decade younger than normal. Her teacher seemed to be full of grim laughter and gallows humor, but that had been Mother Bear back when she was young too. It was a return to form for the grey haired old combat medic turned teacher.

“Yep. The army polishes your rough spots. It doesn’t polish them out mind you, it just polishes them. It makes that roughness really shine,” she teased. “That reminds me. Hey, Julie. You’re a business owner now. You know what that means, right?”

Julie thought about it for a while and then shrugged.

“Not really. What does it mean?”

“Minuet got care at your clinic. She used the facilities. Remember to send her your bill,” said Mother Bear, slyly. “You don’t have matrix access down here so they’ll have to deliver it by mail. You can frame the credstick.”

Julie couldn’t help it. She laughed. Mother Bear joined her once more. The two women laughed and laughed and laughed.

Marco and Julie - Wednesday, March 13th, 2075 – Morning - Blake Island

Julie held hands with Marco as he met her for breakfast at her door as he’d been doing for the past few days. The tall young woman walked alongside her far taller boyfriend. They’d talked on Monday after the interviews by Knight-Errant. They’d been extensive though the detective who was interviewing her had been unfailing polite while also covered in a sheen of flop sweat. She felt terrible for the poor man, but she couldn’t do anything for him save for tell the truth. Well, not until Marco’s lawyers from Evo, his corporation, arrived promptly which he graciously extended to help defend her as well as him. She could have tried to defend herself, but she knew the law, or at least magical law. Any lawyer who represents themselves has a fool for a client. She wasn’t a lawyer, but she at least knew that much. She might no longer be a convict, but she remembered her lessons from prison very well.

Marco had an enormous purple bruise in the middle of his torso, but his armor clothing, his thick, troll skin and his well-muscled body kept him from being hurt too badly. She’d checked of course. She was a healer after all. He’d been lucky. A heavier pistol would’ve passed straight through his armor and into his guts, or he could’ve been shot in a place where his armor didn’t cover. Julie also had a number of…Well…Not bruises exactly. She was wearing a green turtleneck sweater this morning and she was intensely thankful for her expanded wardrobe and makeup. It covered up the troll sized hickies that were on her neck. She learned to her dismay that the bruises on her neck from his lips didn’t go away with a heal spell. What was hilarious, embarrassing and telling all at the same time is that Marco didn’t know that either.

She was still feeling a little under the weather from overcasting. She dealt with occasional nosebleeds for a day and her mouth would occasionally taste of blood, but Mother Bear assured her that she should be fine in a couple of days as she healed naturally. She didn’t scold Julie, but cautioned her not to overcast save for the most dire of circumstances as it could potentially kill her. If the spell had been any stronger, or a harder spell to cast, or she had been injured previously, if she’d been distracted, or a dozen other qualifiers, it could have hurt her far worse.

The two walked and people openly stared at her and Marco. This was normal, but their gazes lingered longer than the norm. Everyone had heard the news. It was all over the trid and had been for the last five days. It was so explosive that it was bleeding into multiple news cycles and might even move into next week. She was glad that she was a minor and on Blake Island where news crews couldn’t get to her. Julian told her that as her guardian his commlink was blowing up with offers for interviews. Everyone wanted to know what happened. Minuet Lemieux had self-destructed in an effort to take down Julie Freeman and her friends. The weak defeated the strong which these corporate princes and princesses were definitely not used to. No one was, really. Most of Seattle’s residents were talking about it. Everyone on the island was talking about it. She’d been asked, but she’d begged off.

“So what are the rumors?” asked Julie.

“Not as many as you think,” said Marco. “People are getting snippets from Touristville residents, but you, Fuzzy, Sasha and I hold the most damning footage. I already backed mine up. Thank you for trusting me to back yours up as well.”

“You took a bullet for me. Not many girls can say that,” said Julie, shyly. “I trust you.”

“Thanks. Funny you mention that. I stuck around on Sunday in Touristville. I told a few of my friends there my story and they offered to buy me a beer. Well, not just a beer. Lots of beer. It was the strangest thing,” said Marco.

“Maybe I know why,” said Julie.

“What is it?” he asked.

“Well…I learned how much you spend on them. A small fortune each week in all of those alchemy ingredients- Your cookies,” giggled Julie. “That’s so cute by the way. I think though that you proved yourself by taking a bullet. You weren’t just spending time with them, you weren’t just spending money on them, both are fantastic by the way, but by being brave and tough you proved yourself as a troll to them.”

“I froze though,” he said, quietly.

Julie paused. She was dragged a half meter by his casual strength before he noticed and stopped, though she wasn’t pulled off her feet. This wasn’t the first time this had happened.

“Sorry. Lost in thought,” he said, sheepishly.

“It’s okay. You froze, sure, but you’re not a fighter. You’re a healer. You’re a good person. Those are your instincts. I heal people too, but I’ve seen violence. It’s normal to freeze. I had to fight to keep from dropping to the ground instead of fighting back,” explained Julie.

Julie thought back sadly to the woman who she’d saw die in front of her during a prison fight. A sniper snuffed out her life just like that. If you stayed up too long during one of those fights you risked being killed even if you didn’t appear to be doing anything as awakened casters, adepts and mystic adepts didn’t always have to appear to be doing something to cause problems. She remembered Big Rita tripping her and tucking her under her body to shield her the first time it happened. Her heart ached at the memory. That memory was full of complicated emotions: Pain, terror and gratitude all at the same time.

“You okay, Julie?” asked Marco.

“What? Oh, yeah,” whispered Julie. “Anyway, have you gotten contacted by Horizon, yet?”

“No. My lawyers have been contacted who contact my family who contact me. I won’t talk to them. My dad is looking at a possible promotion for the considerable favors we can extract out of Horizon though,” said Marco, distractedly.

“We just have to give up the footage,” sighed Julie.

“Right,” said Marco, guiltily. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to…I’m not going to tell you what to do. You do what you want to do. I’ll back you no matter what.”

“Really?”

“Really. Sasha’s family isn’t getting the same consideration though. Some, but not a lot. Apparently getting shot has privileges,” Marco said, darkly.

Julie stood up on her tiptoes and caressed his cheek. Marco blushed.

“Hey, don’t be like that,” said Julie.

Julie asked Fuzzy earlier about the aftermath. Fuzzy wanted to keep the footage, but not so badly that she couldn’t be swayed. Julie didn’t know it, but Julian had thoroughly disabused Fuzzy of seeking glory earlier in the year by tearing her down. The lesson hadn’t fully stuck, but it stuck enough to make her pause and think. Kenji didn’t have any footage so he probably wouldn’t get much, and he preferred not to be seen. There were also warnings from Mother Bear and Julian in an emergency meeting in a mana lodge chosen at random with double the normal security as soon as they got back to the island. She was not told, but strongly encouraged to take the inevitable deal from Horizon. Julie had her own problems with her prophecy and she and her teachers had formed a conspiracy. It was a conspiracy that could be uncovered if one of the megacorporations was in her business. That and she’d never been able to tell Fuzzy about the note and couldn’t until this was resolved. She had to take care of herself, her friends, her teachers and try to keep people from dying. Not just them, but in the riots to come. If she was tied up in court battles she and her friends would be placed under a microscope. Not to mention that while mind reading wasn’t admissible in court it didn’t matter if she was exposed. She was as safe as could be on the island as security was tight and the spirits were on the lookout for mind reading spells, but out in the world her surface thoughts could be thumbed through by a competent awakened spellcaster.

“You’re thinking again,” said Marco.

Julie snapped back to attention.

“Yeah, I’ve been doing that a lot lately. I’m just thinking whether I’ll take the deal or not,” said Julie. “Knight-Errant is building a case against Minuet. Attempted murder, inciting a riot, whatever Sasha said for her hiring that gang who distracted the cops on the west end, distribution of illegal narcotics…”

“What, distribution?” asked Marco, horrified.

“Oh? You hadn’t heard? That’s why she was in my house. She had a dozen hits of bliss on her in a case hidden in her purse. It didn’t leave the crime scene. She got hit too hard. They think she was going to plant them in my home. Maybe try to claim that my clinic was a front for drugs,” grumbled Julie.

Anger stirred in Marco and Julie could feel it. She glared at him.

“No,” she said, forcefully.

Marco’s anger abated and he blushed again.

“Sorry. It comes more easily now. I’ve decided to seek help, but it’s going to take time,” admitted Marco.

“You better,” scolded Julie.

“I promise. I know I’m not perfect. I’m flawed, but that doesn’t mean I don’t try. I’ll just have to try harder. You showed me that. Anyway, breakfast?” he asked.

Julie beamed as the two began to walk again.

“It’s a date.”

CYOA Time

It's on the next page. It's pretty extensive. Like Fuzzy's chapter, Julie did so well that she's going to get bonuses. Here's the question:

Do we take Horizon's deal or not? They're throwing Minuet under the bus and her corporate nobility parents are getting demoted as they're too high up the ladder to get outright fired. The question is if we want to damage Horizon and risk exposing Julie or do we take their deal and destroy the footage.

We took a path where Julie continued to win over and over again. We also get karma.

2 karma for surviving.

2 karma for difficulty. The fight wasn't too difficult, but there was extended social combat and I hid critical information from everyone during the fight while introducing the GM fiat rule of a mana bolt possibly killing Minuet.

2 Karma for keeping Knight-Errant from establishing a foothold in Touristville.

1 karma for staying accepting in Touristville.

1 karma for opening her clinic in Touristville.

1 karma for completing all objectives.

9 karma tototal. 100% run. :toot:

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 19, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

So here’s the last choice of the arc before we make choices for what happens into the last arc. Specifically who we focus on and what happened during the time skip, though don't worry about that yet. Instead we get shinies and revenge. Minuet is going down. Minuet is turbofucked. But do we want to take the fight to Horizon as well? That's going to come with significant drawbacks if we do.

The problem is that Horizon, one of the megacorporations, is on par with Ares, and way, waaaaay bigger than Lone Star. It's one of the top ten in the world, bigger than some nations at least in GDP. This is a major embarrassment for them, and they specialize in the media. If Julie goes forward she and her friends are going to be placed under a microscope. She’s going to become a semi-public figure protected only by the fact that she’s a minor and that is a thin veil with the 2070's version of the internet wanting to know everything not to mention corporate spies wanting to discredit her. Julie and friends are going to get maligned in the press despite the overwhelming abundance of evidence against Minuet in order to discredit them. This is a news organization after all. Spin is what they do. Marco and Sasha will be able to weather this easily, but Kenji is going to suffer greatly because if people really scratch the surface on him they’re possibly going to find out that he’s a shadowrunner, and that will cause huge problems for him. Julie is aware that he is a shadowrunner. He admitted it during Christmas after all and he doesn't lie.

Like in Fuzzy’s chapter, Julie gets rewards. We can pick one for free or two if we hand over the footage to Horizon. Each reward will have one explicit advantage, one hidden advantage and one hidden drawback. Drawbacks are interesting to me, but they’ll be minor. Think of them more like complications. Like adding salt to a dish. It gives it taste. No gift is totally free. The reason we get two of these if we so choose is because Julie won't have to fight Horizon. She'll be used as a proxy by Ares and Evo because they'll want to damage a rival. It won't be pretty, but if we really want to take on Horizon we can and she can do significant damage to them. It's a matter of how badly we want it.

Normal rewards: We may pick one for free. We may pick two if we work with Horizon but ignore their rewards.

1. Combat magic. The Blake Island staff comes to the conclusion that these kids don’t have the ability to protect themselves from danger like corporate teens do by using bodyguards. They will all be able to learn restricted spells though they won’t be free. This includes Fuzzy. Kenji can’t cast spells, but he’ll get something too. Otherwise this will be restricted until year 3 or until we learn it on our own through unofficial channels which will come with costs if they’re caught.

2. The Clinic gets an upgrade from an emergency medicine clinic to a full doctor’s office along with a medical specialty of the thread’s choice. This will provide an improved revenue stream for Julie and she won’t have to actively manage it for her to make money though she’ll make more money if she does.

3. Either Marco or Kenji will move up to rank 6 loyalty. This friend will -always- back Julie up no matter what happens. It can fall to 5 again if we abuse the friendship though. Julie becomes best friends with one of her friends. Or two if we really want both. Normally this is not a big deal in Shadowrun the game, but I'm running it. These mean far more massive narrative bonuses and they'll take time to come up again. Year 2 at the earliest.

4. Friendlier teachers. Julie develops her teachers not only as contacts, but friendly contacts. All of the ones she's met so far get recorded as contacts and go up to a loyalty of 3 each with Mr. Peters going to loyalty 4. Her teachers in private stop seeing her solely as a young student and start seeing her as a young peer.

5. Chip gains a rank in power a year early for free. He’ll also gain a new power of the thread’s choice and a spell. We’ll be able to upgrade him a year earlier each time. So next year he can be force 5 if we so choose as long as Julie has the karma.

6. Ork and troll approval. We gain one of the orks in Touristville as a contact as well as gain more general approval.

These are rewards that we can access if we take the Horizon cooperation path, but we don’t have to take these, or we can take two or we can take money twice if Julie really wants to cash in.

1. They fix her bad reputation for killing her father. They’re the biggest names in media after all. I clear her bad reputation for free. No karma spent no quest needed. They just do it. This means that she’ll have an easier time talking to people.

2. Money. Julie gains 100,000 nuyen. Depending on what we do with it I’ll make up said drawback.

3. Minuet’s teeth. Mr. Peters designs a power focus for Julie at rating 2 (seeing as we have 23, that's why I rolled). This means all of her magical powers will get a +2 bonus. Summoning, spellcasting, alchemy, everything but assensing and artificing. It can be upgraded too, but only by him. Yeah, it’s less than money, but I’ll say that with more money it can be upgraded one more time without new ingredients, just money. Otherwise Julie is going to have to find more items before she can make something this powerful again. It'll cost 12 karma to bond though, but Julie has it.

4. Changing the news. Horizon is a news organization. Julie can set in motion some small but significant changes to their corporate culture. Specifically sensitivity training and a few new talking heads in the news to be more representative of minorities. They would push slightly more leftist views than before, but they would push their views to the UCAS as a whole. That means everyone. After all, Horizon needs to repair its image after the Lemieux incident, right? They were going to do this anyway, right? Right?

5. I don’t think anyone will want it, but Julie can get an internship or corporate sponsorship from Horizon. In fact they’re eager to give it to her in order to appear like she’s on board with them. She always loved Horizon!

Julie also gains 20,000 nuyen if she works with Horizon no matter what. However every hit on bargaining by whomever is negotiating will get 5% more per hit on an opposed test. Most likely Julian as he’s her guardian. That’s 1000 nuyen per hit above the corporate negotiators they’ll be sending who will be good, but Julian is a former shadowrunner face and he knows his business. Julian will also have some pretty massive bonuses due to the tremendous amount of evidence Minuet left.

Fuzzy gets her own thing from me if we go for Horizon as well. That's a secret though.

Again, we can give the finger to Horizon. It's just way easier to work with them than it is to go against them. I am staying neutral and have no say in what we should or shouldn't do. That's up to the thread.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 14, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I definitely know some of us are ready to bust out the molotovs but goddamn, selling out looks good.

The classic shadowrunner's dilemma.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I know Cyro is going to hate it, but say Julie works with Horizon. She knows Minuet is already getting punished, she's not as concerned with bringing down the whole Corp. I don't know what else to vote for as there's so many good options, but at least Changing the news

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Xarbala posted:

I definitely know some of us are ready to bust out the molotovs but goddamn, selling out looks good.

The classic shadowrunner's dilemma.

I mean, that's the point. It's the allure of selling out. Who would sell out if the options weren't so good? The fact that Julie has damning evidence on them AND has powerful friends that Horizon can't just browbeat means she's in a unique position to deal with them from a position of strength. What's special about her situation isn't that she's able to sell out. It's that she's able to sell out for a good price.

It's a moral choice and again, the morals are grey because Julie can either tear into Horizon, but endanger herself and her friends or work with them and if she decides to do so, slightly change their corporate culture to something she would agree with more. That is even if she cares. She might want more personal stuff or social stuff.

Depends on what the thread wants. Don't get used to being spoiled for choice. If we'd failed even one check with Minuet and Julie lost we'd get none of this. We 100% completed the challenge and I thought that deserved a reward.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 14, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Oof. Tough call but Julie's main worry is saving her friends from problems that Ares and Lone Star cause. I think she may realize that Horizon wasn't in that riot.

She may not think much of corporations and it pains me to say it but we should take the deal. Not sure about what rewards yet though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I forgot to add this last night for Fuzzy.

Achievement Unlocked: Got To Uppercut A Bitch

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Just as a note, Horizon may have a seat on the Corporate Council at #10 on the list, but they are a small corp. Like smaller than many AA and even a handful of A rated corps. Nobody knows how they keep their seat of power secure, or what dirt they may have on the other big corporations, but Lofwyr, the Great Dragon CEO of Saeder-Krupp, treats them with the utmost respect. We really do not want them as an adversary.

Sell Out - Take the powerup for Chip, and the Teeth. Mother Bear and I seem to be kindred souls, we react in much the same way to a high pressure situation like that. And though it may seem morbid, she makes a very good point about Minuet's teeth. Julie may think about it for a bit, but she has those prison smarts. She already has an ace up her sleeve with Chip, but its always best to have a backup. That foci is incredibly valuable in many ways, and it can help with both healing spells and healing rituals.

Edit: So I was reading over Dunklezahn's Will again, because it's hilarious, and I realized how exactly our three misfits really got into school.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 14, 2017

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Definitely sell out. We're mad at Minuet about this, but picking a fight with her parent corp is just reckless. Julie wants to get out of this problem, not deeper into it.

Aside from that, definitely the Chip power-up. Not sure about the second choice. I really like the idea of the clinic upgrade, Kenji Loyalty 6, or Friendlier Teachers, personally.

Having the true and proper, life and death loyalty of Kenji is a serious this. We know what he's willing to do for his true friends, and having Julie around to help him might be what saves his life. I think this is the option that has the biggest long term consequences for the plot of the game itself.

Having the peership and respect of her teachers, on the other hand, is hugely important for Julie's personal future. We're talking about a variety of highly educated, highly skilled Shamans here. The social strings they can pull for her future education and careers, the personal assistance they're already providing with things like Foci and Initiation, and the simple fact that it's always useful to have trusted adults whose advice you can take or ignore.

And then her clinic. That's her home, and her primary source of income. If it gets upgraded into a doctor's office (with on-site doctors and nurses working regular shifts, presumably) that's huge. It provides Touristville with a permanent and reliable source of medical care, even when Julie isn't there - care that isn't a pastor with skillwires, no matter how wonderful Devin is. It gives the Crossroads a business with both educated professionals and an on-staff Shaman; that's the kind of thing that might draw outside money for the sheer excellence of service instead of tourist novelty in a way not unlike 88 Tastes. And it provides her a constant income stream even when she's doing whatever else she does with her truly exceptional life.

Teef foci are rad. But aside from ranking up Chip, my vote for the second boon has to be one of those three. Trophies are fun, but I see so much more potential in those options.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I will definitely vote Work With Horizon. Changing the news would be a great way for her to continue to give back to the underground, improving public relations, keeping orcs/trolls who venture out of there safer. She could use the internship to try to dig for more information about the riots ahead of time, but that seems like it would be really ballsy and she's not one for subterfuge.

drat... I really wanted Clinic Upgrade and Kenji Upgrade and $$$$ but Change The News is so good it's really hard to decide.... I'll give it more thought. Wen will the cut off be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The Chip upgrade is a terrible usage of this boon, I think - when we've got so many good choices, we want to pick something that we could not have achieved otherwise. Combat magic and Chip Upgrade are both things we'll get anyways: it simply moves the timescale ahead on them. While stuff like upgrading contacts, the Power Focus, or to a lesser extent, raw nuyen are things we can't just get by waiting - and are therefore the worse options, in my opinion.