Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Well, just finished binge reading this one. Hotdamn, it is hella intriguing. I'm also somewhat glad that we switched protagonists. Much as I like Fuzzy, we ended up with her in a good place.

One thing I might like to see is her remembering where she came from and visiting Rat Man, letting him know she's doing fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Look, does the Oliver family not realize they can give Ares a PRIME new contact, a go getter up and comer in the arms trade. Ratman has been a great boon in weapon sales to Fuzzy for all her life, and his goods never let her down. I'm just saying maybe the police department could do with some Ratman brand armour from patented Devil Rat leather?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Kenji has a mix of understanding all of this, and seeing the sense of it, but is still hurting, because this is one of the few person who's close to him, HIM and not Edward who now is taking distance. He won't resent her, he's not going to cause drama, but the world feels just a little bit chillier. What is worse that the hardwired part of him is pointing out that indeed, to make good and useful contacts, his ACHE contacts are starting to become a burden rather than a boon. He is going to do it, but it'll gnaw at him.

He is definitely going to try to keep things 'as they were' with Octo. Unless she specifically asks, they're Kenji and Octo, talking over the net. But you know, if she wants to do some multiplayer on that thing, he's good for that. Support her 'Digitalizing' ideals, but point out that that is something that's gonna take some time to figure out how to do safely, so, you know, take care of the flesh while you need it. Cause that's technically possible immortality, and a loving waste to possibly lose out on that for not eating your veggies.

Also, he hates people wasting away because an addiction. People who have freedom throw it away to freely.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Some discussion in Discord, but I kind of feel that Julie wouldn't just got a nice, sweet spirit that'd be all supporitve, but rather someone to 'keep her on the straight and narrow' because, well, her poor self-image. I suggested an angel, but those are not for shamans. But I had Anubis in mind. A bit morbid for a healer, but involved in the judgement. Also ,there is Osiris, who's less recognizable, but does have Rebirth and Replenishment in his portfoliio, and is also very much a judge.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

In a way, but also disturbing, and it's good Kenji apologized for it. Because for Mary, it's kinda gross, since she's very much a grown rear end woman mentally, and she really doesn't want to be kissing teenagers.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Stun

I'm tempted. Sorely tempted. It's entirely justifiable in this situation. Killing in defense of others.

But I'm voting stun not for Minuet's sake, but for Julie. She's got plenty of poo poo on her plate. If she kills Minuet, that'll weigh on her. Especially with more violence yet in the future.

And I want Minuet to be alive to reap the whirlwind she sowed. It's not often you get a corpse prince/princess who's really dumb enough to so utterly gently caress themselves and utterly and totally make racism look like the toxic, insane nonsense it is, rather than 'just people sticking together and not being PC and realistic' how it can be hidden. And then not just for the sake of Minuet, but for society. If Minuet bites it, then this becomes a story about some sweet girl getting killed because she did some dumb poo poo in Touristtown. Her racist screed will be a 'okay, but that doesn't justify her murdering' her shot will be talked as 'well, self defence, she was clearly in danger' Things will get muddled, and a society is all too willing to refuse to face its own ugly racism. And Touristtown will suffer. Badly.

If she gets stunned, there's no looking away. A corpse princess went down, threw vile insults around, tried to break in, shot someone when she was called out for it and got brought back alive. If she hadn't been so stupid, it'd be a 'he said she said' and the hardcore racist assholes will still make excuses while quietly agreeing, but the rest of society will associate racism with a stupid, self-destructive, murderous little spoiled princess. Horrifying and yet pathetic at the same time. It can for racism in 'polite society' when Fuzzy did for racism in 'gangs'. For the same reason it's a better thing Fuzzy left the gangers alive, it's a good thing for Julia.

The disadvantage. It risks innocent lives.

It's not an easy choice, and man, part of me is definitely baying for Minuet's blood, but I'm gonna stick with Stun If the story was feeling a bit on the bright and nice side, I might have voted kill, but right

now,, I'm good with this day being a net plus in the long run.

Came up with another idea.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 13, 2017

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

High society is never going to own up to its racism, and especially not because of some dumb teenager. The right thing to do is put this piece of poo poo down hard before she can kill people that are actually worth the oxygen they consume, not try and win some nebulous moral victory while gambling with our friends' lives.

I feel you. It's not gonna end it, but it might at least make it fall out of fashion for a while. Have its worst excesses crawl back in their holes for a bit. Minuet already hosed herself. Her corp, and her family, is likely to drop her like hot garbage, as an example to others who make their corp look really, really bad.

It's not really a moral victory. In a way it's risking with people's lives in order to try to protect the community as a whole.

I honestly could see Julie go two ways, so in my case it's less of a 'this is what I see Julie doing' but more of a 'this is where I'd prefer the story to go.'

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Outside the box option. Use Improve Logic on Minuet. Make her realize how completely utterly dumb she's being, and the only thing that lets her get out of this alive is to immediately drop the gun and raise her hands.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Hexenritter posted:

This is too funny not to vote for.

Use Improve Logic on Minuet.

Bonus. Julie will get to see that moment of dawning realization of just how utterly, utterly she hosed herself on Minuet's face. I mean, that's something to brighten up any cold day later. I mean, moments before Fuzz loving decks her.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Kinda to late to go back to 'humiliating' Julie. There's not really time to sling any more bon-mots. Her options right now are to shoot, or to surrender. One of these is the smartest.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

1: Increase Logic
2: Stun Bolt

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

But remember, Mana Bolt is not just taking the risk of Minuet dying, it's the risk of this new community we're in getting some serious jackboot action on their neck, not to mention Julie's self-image taking a hit (yeah, she's 100% justified, but killing someone at this day will be extremely painful) And even in the best case where Minuet does not die and surrenders after getting hit with lethal force, that's gonna have its own costs.

It's not simply about Minuet's life VS our friends' life. It's our community's wellbeing and Julie's mental state VS the risk to her friends' lives.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Yeah, can safely say that while all of these are tempting, internship is a huge exception. Julie has a carreer she's going for. Why would she work for a company that definitely ahs more than just Minuette as a racist there. She doesn't really have the skillset to really flourish there either. By all means, let's not get into a a war with Horizon, but don't tie ourselves to them.

I can see working with them in a way of trying to make society less racist. But kinda hesitant on that one.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

News I really like. And while the teeth is metal, and I'm sorely tempted. I'm gonna go with something that'll do a lot of good in the long run and go with the improved clinic

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Yeah, it's not sure that the guy came up with the plan on his own, but he was at least a major lynchpin, and it's entirely possible that he's the one who came up with the idea, and Damien Knight signed off on it. And even if he didn't come up with it on his own, Oliver most likely was a major figure in putting it into practice.

Which really puts some heavy questions on how friendly we're gonna be able to remain with them in the long run.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Yeah, I'm good with Try to figure poo poo out Fuzzy might have all the back up she needs, Tek does not. Depending on what kind of people these folks are, joining a gang might be as safe a path for him in life as any. I mean, Tourist Town Police is basically also a Gang, and there's nothing wrong with joining those. (maybe ask Tek why he's not joining the gang that, you know, is doing the protection of him home? Then again, they don't do bikes, and Tek loves bikes clearly

But let me put this in a vote as not pushing an agenda yet. Just figure out what Tek wants, what kind of folks the gang is, don't burn bridges, and don't pretend like we know what is best for Tek in life.

Which probably counts as Plan Groetgaffel

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 26, 2017

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

What? Have Tec become a snitch in a bikergang? We're trying to look out for the kid, not get him brutally killed! Also: gently caress Ares.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Toughy posted:

I didn't say Ares I said Sasha, honestly having Tec in the gang as a contact/informant may be more beneficial than keeping him out, if we fail to get him out we could still lean on him for info or favors later.

If Sasha learned information about a biker gang through Tec that she thought would be very interesting to know for Ares, she'd tell her father. I don't hate Sasha, but she's kind of 'on board' with the 'hurray for Ares' mentality. Understandable, since it's not only her parents' employer, but more or less her 'motherland' with Corps taking most of the role of states. Being an informer for a Corp princess is being informer for a Corp. And even if Sasha would end up convinced that Ares is not peachy keen, and maybe she should keep all this a secret for them, that's definitely not what a gang would assume when they find out Tec is passing on information to the daughter of someone really high in law enforcement.

Of course, I'm not saying we should start poo poo with Ares, but neither do we wanna help them, or give them contacts, or get more involved with them than we already are. This will bring conflict of course, as Ares, represented by Sasha's parents, are understandably very eager to bring a popular, brave, skilled Adept into the fold. There will be drama there one way or the other.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Yeah, much as I want Fuzzy to not become an Ares cat's paw, it would probably be strange for her not to intern with them, considering she doesn't know they're up to no good, and only knows of the evil poo poo of their main competitor. She's wary of corps, but doesn't outright hate them (as much as she should) I mean, I'm trying to think of good reasons for her to refuse it, IC-ly, but well, let's make sure we have her go in that with open eyes and a shut mouth, and maybe get some knowledge about Ares.

Also, it might be something that'll trigger Julie to perhaps get Fuzzy more informed?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Not sure if her thought would go that way. The whole 'wait, this paper is way older than it should be, but exactly the same' is strange. And all in all, Fuzzy seems to be pretty trusting of her friends. I'm for just asking Julie for a guarantee that if and when poo poo gets dangerous for herself, for Fuzzy or for Sasha, she will spill the beans. But I'm not sure she'd push?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Take the Deal, but don't forgive Julian

Honestly, the guy seriously hosed up in a bad way, and after some time passed, when it started to become clear he done hosed up, he still tried to play the 'wise mentor' card with the whole 'which one do you pick'. I don't think she should hate Julian, or seek to get back at him for it or anything. But whatever warmth or affection there might be for him got snuffed out early. She can do business with him, and with the crisis coming, they're going to have to rely on each other but Fuzzy knows who her friends are, and Julian is not among them.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

CourValant posted:

Its been awhile, to refresh my memory, what exactly were the details of the big 'gently caress-up'?

To the best of my recollection, this was right after the Fuzzy alleyway fight, and Julian dressed her down for being irresponsible, and threatened to take her weapons and puppy away as punishment, is that correct?

Her keeping the puppy was very much an absolute promise he made to her as a condition for her going to that school. Going back on that promise, for honestly, not that good a reason is understandable, but you've just set fire to any trust that person can have in you.

Leter, when Julian himself was a bit unsure about whether he picked the right choice, rather than just go 'look, here's your stuff back' he tried to pull a 'the gift from your girlfriend or the weapon you love so much' which are you gonna keep?' and generally tried to be an oh so clever 'wise man teaching the foolish child her lessons'.

He wasn't. He cares for her, and he's a smart guy. But he's a manipulator, and he tried to manipualte when he should have taken time to understand. He was working from the asusmption that Fuzzy was in this for glory and the thrill, while Fuzzy very much does NOT go out to look for fights, and just ended up by accident in a situation where it is A: get involved B: let him die. And if Julian had taken the time to get to the bottom of it instead of trying to play hardball and 'doing the difficult thing', he wouldn't have burned his bridges.

Not to say I hate Julian, he's a good guy, and he's competent at what he did. But he hosed up, and his mentor spirit would agree that gently caress ups must have consequences so you can learn from them.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

CourValant posted:

Thanks for the recap.

I can see it from that perspective, and, that's not reasoning I support or agree with.

Reasons aside, Fuzzy had to have her chain yanked short there, for the safety of everybody. The alternative is reinforcing the fact that its okay to be a vigilante; that she did it for a 'good cause' can be a mitigating factor when considering her punishment.

As for the original deal that she gets to keep her dog while going to school, the way I see it, Julian did keep his end of the bargain.

Fuzzy can have her dog and weapons if she follows the rules; if she breaks those rules, then the deal has be to reassessed.

Realizing that I'm not going to convince anyone otherwise, and likely not going to change my mind either, all I will say is that I don't want to see Fuzzy become a petulant Blaker brat over a perceived grudge when it was for her own good (the dog and weapons weren't even taken away, so seriously, all this hate is just unbecoming); I don't see this hostility as part of her character.

I think action was warranted; I'm not saying Julian should have said. 'Smashed some fash, Fuzzy? High fiiiiive' no matter how fun that might have sounded. He might have restricted her weekends to the island for a bit for her own safety. he might have forbidden her from walking alone even after that, he might have gotten himself or a therapist to have some good long talks about how she perceives violence and how willing she was. if so, he would have found out that Fuzzy had ZERO interest in making 'getting into back alley brawls' any kind of habit. None. And his whole punishment did nothing to reduce that, because there wasn't any. All his punishment did, was ruin her trust in her. It was a napalm bombing, making all of her trust collateral damage, to deal with a problem that wasn't even there.

Nothing in the deal said that she couldn't take some risk to herself to save a human life. What she did wasn't even in any way criminal or against school regulations. Yes, it merited action. But threatening the dog is your Last Resort. It is 'what you do if you KNOW she is on a path of self destruction and you've tried all your other cards.' Julian used it as an opening move without even really investigating whether the problem was that big a deal. He done hosed up. And he has lost Fuzzy's trust and affection for it. And I'm fine with that trust remaining lost even if they can be 'polite' to eachother and even cooperate.

And I think the grudge is IC for her. Fuzzy has shown that she very, very deeply values loyalty and trust. Even things people are jokey about like 'promise notes' are clearly absolutely 100% serious business. Julian broke her trust. Julian can't be trusted. Julian is not a friend. This seems very Fuzzy to me.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Kicking Kenji in the dick has the problem that he might be hurting and unable to stop us, but he won't be knocked out very likely, and he needs to be knocked out, in order for his failure not to kill him. If we, for example, wrestle him down and tie him to a tree, then run off, that's 'failure' is we knock him out, he also fails, but he 'logs off' so he's not there to take the 'failure' bullet. Or at least that's how I read it.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

1) Demand our service from our Wind Spirit with a message for Sasha. Not some confusing bullshit like, "stop and wait" that never works. No make it jump in front of her and scream, "EMERGENCY!"
2) With Animal Control we can put an image of Sasha in Puppy's mind with a command, "Protect!" Puppy is a smart dog, probably as smart as any well trained police dog, and will do what Fuzzu commands. He WILL protect Sasha from everything until Fuzzy gets back.

However, use stun bolts on Kenji, because they can't kill, and they don't leave marks.

Never mind this, I support plan Jagadaisho. It might be faster than a fight, and having Kenji not being forced to be a helpless hostage/act against his friends will be better for his emotional state of mind, and the state of mind for everyone. Enough bad poo poo is coming at them. This would let us dodge some of it.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 16, 2018

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Well, we can't go to Sasha until Leblanc is gone. Once Leblanc leaves, even temporary, the directive is defunct. (and Kenji will, probably for the first time in his existence, be unbound)

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

When the opportunity to rules lawyer your way out of a compulsion arises, you jump on it. It's quicker, better for Kenji, better for Fuzzy, better for the happiness of the whole gang.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

So, splitting in between Punching Kenji and don't Punch Kenji. Some people made their intent to punch Kenji clear before the alternate plan was discussed, but their votes sitll count. I'll still mark it, in case Ice takes it into account
Punch Kenji: Xarbala, Gun Jam, Van Sandman, (the ones after this mark specifically do not want plan don't punch Kenji) Deadmeat 150, dont be mean to me, JUST MAKING CHILI, Crazycryodude, HiHo ChiRho 8
Don't punch Kenji: Jagadaisho, Shogeton, pumpinglemma, sheep-dodger, Groetgaffel; Rickvoid 6

Up to date until the post of HiHo ChiRho below

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 16, 2018

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

In some ways, the best outcome. I mean, part of me would have liked the adventures of Sasha, Young Revolutionary, but gently caress it. She can do that on her own terms, and do it with Fuzzy and Kenji. She's not gonna be pleased, but the final outcome is a Sasha with some lost memories (which, no mistake, is an unpleasant and invasive thing) but otherwise unharmed, Kenji having gained one trauma and some injury, but having lost all restrictions. All in all, I don't think RAAAGE is the wise thing here, or even Fuzzy's likely next action.

And honestly, I'm... somewhat fine with Marie? I mean, she's not exactly got the cleanest hands, but she's taken one of the morally better paths that isn't just washing your hands for the whole thing. In the end, all she did was manipulate a teenager to get some one on one talking time with another teenager and try to recruit her. By no means a clean sheet, but for 'trying to take down one of the corps that run the world' that is some pretty good 'moral compromise VS beneficial result' thing.

And Edward. Stupid, frightened, coward Edward. I can't really make myself bay for his blood. He's a cowardly, stupid kid, and the Leblanc method meant that instead of learning skills and courage, he just had Kenji do the hard stuff. But I think that rashness and cowardice and dumbness are all things that could be forgiven. What is the sin that is gonna cost him friends is that he doesn't respect Kenji, even with everything Kenji does for him. Likely he still thinks of Kenji as just 'not a person, but just a different way of thinking, a part of MY mind, and I get to do with my mind what I want, don't I?' And heck, some people would probably agree on that. But people, including me, figure that Kenji is seperate enough that he counts as a different person, an individual with his own rights. His initial rules Edward might be forgiven, because when he made those, Kenji might still not have been 'real boy' enough to count, especially since he was only now and then brought out. But Edward should really know better by now.

Also, a thought. Since Marie has finished her mission, does that mean Christina Leblanc will have outlived her purpose? How do we feel about that. Marie has the method perfected, so she might very well just 'wipe' Christina soon. That is... actually a bit disturbing and probably the greater crime Marie is comitting, since Christina probably is as real as Kenji is.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

jagadaishio posted:

I don't think LeBlanc has the same limitations where creating a new persona is concerned. When she's done with Christina, she'll probably won't be erased/forgotten. Just not brought out anymore.

Not exactly an improvement, is it? You are created, spend about a year making friends, enjoying life, studying hard, all the while knowing that at the end of the line, you'll just be going into dreamless sleep, perhaps forever (as good as being dead/erased) or perhaps at some point Leblanc decides she needs 'bitchy teenager' but even that isn't very likely, since physically the body will become an adult, and who needs 'bitchy teenager' when you can just craft other personas so much better suited.

I mean, do a reread of some scenes, keeping in the back of your mind that Christina knows she's never gonna have any of this 'carreer' or 'family' or likely 'graduation' thing. Her whole existence is being a tool, and once the mission is complete, she'll be going back on the shelf, and if she ever comes back, it's going to be elsewhere, with new orders, new people.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

On where to have Sasha stay, I'm in favor of the Barrens. I mean, it's rough, and not without its own risks and costs.

Reason against Touristville:
1: The threat of revenge. Touristville seems like one of the areas with a very high amount of people negatively affected by the Tempo drug situation, having lost family and dear ones to it. Touristville as a whole will accept her, but there just have to be a few people who try something. Heck, even if they don't try something, the threat of such a thing will affect her life.
2: The reputation loss for Julie and Fuzzy. Both of them will of course gladly take the hit to their rep to vouch for Sasha, and they're popular enough that they won't be pariahs, but there'd be those who'd think less of them, and Sasha might feel worse for 'dragging them down'
3: Just being reminded of the situation again and again, whenever someone somewhere mentions a family member who died to Ares' wrongdoing cannot be good for her. Even if they're not blaming her for it.
4: Living in the Barrens is as clean a break with her Ares Life, as well as their crimes as you can get. The Tempo situation probably barely even reached folks there, except indirectly.
5: Understand Fuzzy better, as well as poverty.
6: Diego probably understands Sasha's feelings in a way few do, considering he too had a family member turn evil. (they also both acted to stop them, though Sasha sadly won't remember)
7: Practical skills: Things might get dicey, and it'll be good for Sasha to be more self sufficient.
8: Confidence: Sasha sometimes feels like 'a disabled girl'. I'm thinking that managing a life in circumstances that would make her detractors cry and call for their parents would help purge those thoughts out.
9: Doing good: Sasha probably doesn't feel very 'good' either, but with her magical talent, she can probably make some serious material differences for the better in the lives of a lot of people, not just by tossing money at it, but by living there, working there, being there. I think this might make her feel better.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Julie's clinic has a lot more comforts, but it has its own danger in that there might be people who will target her, possibly lethally, possibly just with harsh words, for her family's part in this, because a LOT of people there have suffered it. And all of that is, I feel, worse for Sasha's state of mind than going into a worse standard of living, but with people who don't care about the Ares stuff, (or like Diego, are actively sympathetic and have gone through such things) and whose lives are made better because of her sacrifice (and it would be a meaningful sacrifice) and hard work.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

The ACHE, I think, is a terrible, terrible idea. One accident, one fall, one errant drunk movement and her glasses are off and she's possibly dead or insane. And even without that happening, she has to deal with the stress of that possibly happening.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

I think people overstate the danger of the Club. I mean, yeah, it's the Barrens. It's not pleasant. It's not fully safe. But Ice seemed to consider it the safer (but less pleasant) of the two choices. We're not saying she's gonna go out and hunt. There's plenty of ways a savvy mage who also brings money in can pull her weight there without going out there to dodge ghouls. And at least in the Barrens, you know what the dangers are. In the Underground, where she'll be known as 'the one whose father got so many family here killed' every cup of coffee, every person passing by her, every time the lights go out, there might be someone who lost someone to Ares and decides that they're gonna lash out at the ones who did it in the only way they can, by hurting their family.

And unpleasant as the Club might be, if we have her invest some money, it'll be less unpleasant, for her, and for all the kids there.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Xarbala posted:

It's only going to be for the summer to give her some time to let the heat die down and the media circus to get bored.

Like if the Affluenza Guy were to pass you by on the street you probably wouldn't recognize him, even though he's a overgrown spoiled rotten brat and remorseless murderer.

Exactly. It's not like this means she will live in the barrens forever and ever. But for that hot summer when the wounds are fresh, both for her and for the people, it's best for her to be as far away from people who suffered because of Ares as possible. And the Barrens feels like the safest place for her, odd as it sounds.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Much as I would enjoy Sasha staying with Diego/Rat-mom, this does seem like a better and more stable solution. She misses out on some things that would be nice at the Club, but yeah, it'd be a safe and more stable place, and with the rocky waters coming, it would be good for Sashah to be somewhere stable. And yes, we get to see another part of the Shadowrun world. So yep, Council Island sounds good.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

And it's been suggested that if all of this leads to 'established' corp run society losing appeal to people, and alternative, community based societies start to rise up, things like Touristville might at some point get the jackboot put in. Best to start gathering your strength, in all ways one can.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Major: Fixing business

Minor: Get a hobby. I'm voting for food. Let Kenji learn to really appreciate fine cuisine. It's how we first saw him after all

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

jagadaishio posted:

Alrighty, let's see here.

I definitely dig the idea of Sasha taking a Computer Programming course. It's not like her interest in computers and security has evaporated just because she no longer has Ares support. That and her relative isolation on Blake and Council Islands will make traveling other places using VR and Astral Projection extra appealing. Hopefully her new look/legal identity will be relatively safe by the time the new year starts since it's one of her summer projects, but even then it's so much easier to gently caress around in the anonymity of the Matrix.

Fuzzy tries to get into History 3 to be with Sasha. I think that she recognizes that she's sort of let her magic be neglected in favor of her mundane studies, so I like the idea of her taking some kind of Spellcasting. As her second elective, I can't remember if she has Power Points still available to be acquired or not; if she does, I say she takes Physical Adept with Coach Bolt to try to hone her way up to her true potential. If she doesn't, Band for sure - she can round out her interest in music with some technical knowledge/skill.

Kenji is free and, frankly, still looking for a direction to really enjoy that freedom. Let's start off with Art. He has an interest in Artisan-skill-related things like cooking and tattoos, and it'll let him keep an eye on his little investment. As his second class, I'm down with Enchanting with Mr. Peters, to have a sort of synergistic focus on his tattoo-focus-creating abilities. As for the Dog issue, I figure he has a quick chat with Julian to figure out what's going on, and then once Julian explains it he goes to Min Yun outside of school instead of having the school be his guide on this issue. After all, she's Pack, she knows Dog, she's from his hood - it only makes sense that he'd look to her as the natural authority on this.

Julie is a special case. We're closing in on the final hours of her prophecy, and she knows it. As a result, she picks two classes which specifically give her a reason to be in regular contact with Mother Bear and Julian - to give her, and them, and excuse to step aside and talk about important things without it appearing unusual. That means she definitely takes Spellcasting with Mother Bear, and then either Assensing and Astral Projection or Arcana with Julian. When second semester finally rolls around she's probably going to take a palate cleanser of non-magical, low-stress, happy classes, but right now she can't-not focus on her little conspiracy.

I'm going with plan Jagadaishio here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

There were shouts of shock and outrage. A few of the students stood up and they bristled with anger. Half a dozen students argued as they left their places on the bench. How dare he treat them this way? Didn't he know who they were? They were the children of upper management, almost corporate nobility. A few of them were actual nobility as they weren't all from the UCAS. The complaints were varied and loud. How dare he threaten to degrade them so? How dare he waste their time? How dare he threaten them with manual labor? How dare he shame them at all? What kind of place was this? This was the ugliness of the entitlement of the upper class on full display, and these were just the students who spoke their minds aloud. Some muttered in disbelief or anger from their seats. Others silently stewed. Some didn't care and some thought it was fair as they rarely got in trouble anyway, but everyone paid attention. It was a jumble of different opinions from different people, though it was only the incoming freshman who were on their feet and loudly complaining as they didn't have groups of friends that they sat with yet. No amount of shushing quieted the loudest students.

Small bit of feedback I wanna give. Usually, when you're 'neutral' narrator rather than 'third person perspective' you keep things relatively neutral and let the behavior of people speak for themselves. But here, especially the bold part it seems you, the narrator, are pointing fingers and saying 'man, those folks are jerks', and while I do agree they're jerks, it is a little bit jarring. All the more because I can't really blame students for loudly objecting to 'public humiliation' being used as a discipline tool, per sé. So that's why this scene doesn't work as well as most for me.